Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BFG. 16:18 - Jan 3 with 18768 viewsconnell10

On his way?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

BFG. on 18:36 - Jan 3 with 2798 viewsWatfordR

BFG. on 17:32 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Henry, fair enough, even without the argument, and even though I believe he is very harshly criticised, he's obviously gone on a season too long.

Polter I quite like.

Chery, decent player out of form and low on confidence. We've found it quite difficult to fit him into our team since he got here. If he doesn't want to stay (the transfer request doesn't necessarily mean that, it's just him forfeiting his 'loyalty bonus' basically) or has had his head turned AND we get a decent cash offer than maybe. But, again, nowhere near as bad as people suddenly think he is.

The players you crack on about are nowhere near as bad as you make out, and nowhere near as good as other people say. It's just typical QPR "he's sht, need a new signing" attitude. Gladwin, Henry, Hasselbaink, Phillips, Fer all of these people are supposedly "sht, need a new signing" and now they've all gone the results are still poor. Instead of noticing this, you just set off after Perch, Onuoha, Luongo, Chery or whoever it is this week. I'll bet you now, when they're all gone, we'll still be sht.

A few things worry me about this specifically...

1 - It is not healthy do keep doing this as a club. 6 in 6 out every window, manager changed every autumn. You end up with a squad put together under five or six different managers all of them with different ideals (because, unlike more settled clubs, the managers we hire are all wildly different as well). So Hasslebaink has made signings for a defensive set up 4-2-3-1, Ramsey made signings for a 4-3-3, Holloway is now making signings for something else. It leads to exactly what you see before you - odd, dysfunctional squad.

2 - Holloway's remit was to come in and work with what we had. "Rub off on them a bit", play them in their correct positions etc. We've abandoned that after a month have we? Going to spend yet more money on another lorry load of new players? Are we ever actually going to stick to one plan? "Conor Washington will score loads of goals, I can't wait to tell him, he's an off the shoulder striker, not somebody that comes in off the wing..." that lasted, what, a week? Played in a two up front, scored against Norwich, nearly scored in the first half against Ipswich, never been allowed to play there again.

Have to say I don;t think we should be buying or selling anyone (beyond Caulker and Sandro who are on big money and don't fit the current wage structure), if we have any say in the matter. If we are being run more professionally than hitherto, we must have replacement targets in mind for the likes of Chery, who I understood we had bought to improve and sell on.

As you say, Olly was brought in with the remit to work with what he had. And I have always had the suspicion that he was brought in a stop gap til the end of the season, no matter what the "public" term of his contract.

If we are looking to bring in an experienced striker, I can't imagine anyone who would be better as back up to Sylla than Polter, and who would want to be seen as back up. Polter may not be perfect, but he's certainly improved since he got here. And if we bring a Jon Walters type to start instead of Sylla, we lose out on the opportunity to further coach and develop Sylla, who I believe has all the attributes to b plenty good enough for us.

If we're not careful, we'll be back where we were with Arry, buying "right sorts" to cover up the lack of ability in our coaching set up.
BFG. on 18:44 - Jan 3 with 2776 viewsrsonist

To echo other's concerns, this is all a bit sudden. I could accept that Ollie doesn't rate Polter and Henry but there seems to be a bit of discord there too, which is a very sharp turn for two previously solid, committed pros - hardly the dreaded bad apples. Chery is a different case as he has higher aspirations that he is within his rights to try and fulfil (always admired the Chinese league from afar I heard...) but it's another relatively sudden exit.

Les really can't win if some want to put him under scrutiny for this. His job is to balance long term investments and interests with short term necessities (which include the desires of the man trying to win games week to week) and he can't please everyone. It's not like we're all agreeing that Polter and Chery are great or cack here either. If you've ever gambled you'll know, when it all goes right it looks deceptively simple in retrospect - but really a hundred stupid little things can kill even the wisest most judicious coupon.

As long as he sells on matching or exceeding the sums we paid then we're living to fight another day.

There's no doubt that we will get replacements in. Seems obvious we're after British, experienced players of the likes of Nugent and Lee Gregory, and I'd be pretty confident about getting the latter unless he thinks ill of Ollie after his time at Millwall. As much as I like Polter I wouldn't really be shocked if whoever came in produced more output than he did - would you?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2017 18:46]
BFG. on 19:14 - Jan 3 with 2669 views2Thomas2Bowles

For me it's about commitment and it's no different now to under Hughes or Harry, if players are not going to fight for the club and are asking for moves they have to go.

I don't see it as Ollie bombing them out as such but after 6 losses and your head on the block you have to ask who is on your said and who is not.
The last could of games have answered that to a point. well 6 points

Why is it that players get away with letting down the manager and club.

Did we not have all that under Hughes or Harry, did we not complain about the wasted money of players who could not give a feck.

Make no mistake some of these players did not fancy it over the last month, you can not have that.

I understand some maybe worried about comings and goings in mid season but if players are not commited, you have too sort it out ASAP.

BY THE WAY JUST SEEN WE ARE LETTING SANDRO GO ON A FREE
[Post edited 3 Jan 2017 19:23]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

BFG. on 19:25 - Jan 3 with 2627 viewsOldPedro

BFG. on 19:14 - Jan 3 by 2Thomas2Bowles

For me it's about commitment and it's no different now to under Hughes or Harry, if players are not going to fight for the club and are asking for moves they have to go.

I don't see it as Ollie bombing them out as such but after 6 losses and your head on the block you have to ask who is on your said and who is not.
The last could of games have answered that to a point. well 6 points

Why is it that players get away with letting down the manager and club.

Did we not have all that under Hughes or Harry, did we not complain about the wasted money of players who could not give a feck.

Make no mistake some of these players did not fancy it over the last month, you can not have that.

I understand some maybe worried about comings and goings in mid season but if players are not commited, you have too sort it out ASAP.

BY THE WAY JUST SEEN WE ARE LETTING SANDRO GO ON A FREE
[Post edited 3 Jan 2017 19:23]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

BFG. on 19:52 - Jan 3 with 2529 viewsdaveB

looks llke it's going to be a busy month, I think it's difficult to make big changes in January but we're going to try again. I think if we can sell Chery, Sandro and Caulker this month and replace them we'll have done pretty well. I'd be surprised if Polter and Washington went this window, more likely to go in the summer
BFG. on 20:00 - Jan 3 with 2480 viewsHunterhoop

BFG. on 18:44 - Jan 3 by rsonist

To echo other's concerns, this is all a bit sudden. I could accept that Ollie doesn't rate Polter and Henry but there seems to be a bit of discord there too, which is a very sharp turn for two previously solid, committed pros - hardly the dreaded bad apples. Chery is a different case as he has higher aspirations that he is within his rights to try and fulfil (always admired the Chinese league from afar I heard...) but it's another relatively sudden exit.

Les really can't win if some want to put him under scrutiny for this. His job is to balance long term investments and interests with short term necessities (which include the desires of the man trying to win games week to week) and he can't please everyone. It's not like we're all agreeing that Polter and Chery are great or cack here either. If you've ever gambled you'll know, when it all goes right it looks deceptively simple in retrospect - but really a hundred stupid little things can kill even the wisest most judicious coupon.

As long as he sells on matching or exceeding the sums we paid then we're living to fight another day.

There's no doubt that we will get replacements in. Seems obvious we're after British, experienced players of the likes of Nugent and Lee Gregory, and I'd be pretty confident about getting the latter unless he thinks ill of Ollie after his time at Millwall. As much as I like Polter I wouldn't really be shocked if whoever came in produced more output than he did - would you?

If we spend as little on them as we did on Seb, yes, I'd be very surprised if they produced more than the BFG.

Booooooooo to Polter leaving. Boooooooooo!

Keep the BFG!
BFG. on 20:41 - Jan 3 with 2386 viewsFDC

BFG. on 16:59 - Jan 3 by qprnaas

This is insane... Polter does a good job and should be fighting for a place with Sylla and possibly or at least trying one of them partnering Washington or mackie up front... What happened to working with the squad we already have as was Holloways task?? And Polter actually is one of the leaders and motivators on the pitch from what I have seen too... Seems very disappointing

Have to agree, one of the things that gave me confidence in Holloway was the talk of working with what we have (didn't he have some wacky analogy about all the talent at his disposal?), and not going through all this transfer window mania again.
BFG. on 20:56 - Jan 3 with 2326 viewstimcocking

Being honest, although Seb is likeable and a handful, he's always struck me as....not too good.
Login to get fewer ads

BFG. on 21:09 - Jan 3 with 2267 viewsHitch

My mate changed birds all the time. My mate is still single.
BFG. on 21:15 - Jan 3 with 2236 viewsTGRRRSSS

Slightly surprised as I felt Polter is a grafter of a player and we lack much up top anjd he's be good for 5 or 7 goals if it got tight and crucial towards the end of the season.

However Holloway made the point from thew get go he wanted battlers and people committed to QPR and entirely focused on the job.

Maybe Polter is not...
BFG. on 21:23 - Jan 3 with 2215 viewsloneranger1

Well... I felt that was such a depressing thread when I read it through first time earlier on.

Personally feel
- yes Ollie should generally be working with what he´s got - I think the squad has shown it´s good enough to compete in this league, at least enough to stay up
- yes it feels rubbish to always be bringing in new faces (and add to the feeling that we don´t give enough time/enough games in the right position to the ones we already have to really know whether they´re the kind of players we want (Washington, Borysiuk, Cousins...)

But...
- as people have pointed out, surely we should judge Ollie´s judgement on players - most have had game time under him, we´ve had a 6 game losing streak and 2 straight wins for him to get an impression of people in the dressing room and at training as well as in matches
- haven´t been to HQ since Derby but we looked all right in that and by all accounts has enough spirit to get wins where it looked like we could end up losing... don´t remember that happening very often with JFH
- Chery has been a problem player for us since about October and wasn´t involved in us winning a couple of games. Has been largely anonymous since missing that penalty in the 1st minute (5th by the time he got to take it!) against Norwich
- Sandro and Caulker should have gone ages ago, as I think most people agree. I really can´t see Henry as being a major loss if the other midfielders stay fit. Doughty´s back as well, I´m sure we can manage without Henry and Sandro until the Summer!
- would be a shame about Polter but I think we all know Sylla is better... if he´s homesick then it´s best for him to go (if we can get another in - Gregory from Millwall would be great right now)

COYRs (yes please to a cup run - have horrible memories of what may have been Ollie´s last cup game in charge when we got well beat, 3-0 at home to Forest...)
BFG. on 22:22 - Jan 3 with 2114 viewsTacticalR

BFG. on 21:09 - Jan 3 by Hitch

My mate changed birds all the time. My mate is still single.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Air hostess clique

BFG. on 22:35 - Jan 3 with 2055 viewsdaveB

BFG. on 20:00 - Jan 3 by Hunterhoop

If we spend as little on them as we did on Seb, yes, I'd be very surprised if they produced more than the BFG.

Booooooooo to Polter leaving. Boooooooooo!

Keep the BFG!

I'm not suggesting we sell Polter but how many games has he been effective in this season? I cant think of too many other than the Leeds and Norwich games. If a decent offer comes in for him so we make a profit I'd seriously consider it
BFG. on 22:50 - Jan 3 with 1992 views2Thomas2Bowles

Every player is for sale for the right price or if it benfits the club, was that not the plan anyway.

Can't see us spending like Hughes did or on crocks that Harry did.
Lets see who comes in as well as those that leave before we get too worried or excited.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

BFG. on 23:11 - Jan 3 with 1945 viewsDylanP

Honestly, I would be disgusted if Seb was allowed to leave the club.

As it is, I haven't heard anything official so I am going to assume it is all bollox.

Seb is a big strong and young striker and he has done a good job for us so far this season. Obviously, he isn't perfect, but then again, we aren't Barcelona, are we?

If we got rid of him we would have to get another one of him in, and that would undoubtedly cost a fortune. It would be madness upon madness to get rid of him. Mind you, we got rid of JET, a move I still cannot fathom, given his scoring record for us.

We need to be cultivating and developing players not just dumping them after half a season and two bad games.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

BFG. on 23:19 - Jan 3 with 1514 viewsTacticalR

'I don't like transfer windows, I don't like adding new players. I've done that. After games I will look at the coaching points of why we didn't win, and get out there on the training ground. I want to try to make them better people first and then make them better players.'

Ian Holloway, interviewed in Michael Calvin's Living on the Volcano: The Secrets of Surviving as a Football Manager (2015)

Btw, is anyone wondering whether this is really about adding new players, or whether it's actually about further downsizing? I guess we will know at the end of the transfer window.

Air hostess clique

BFG. on 23:23 - Jan 3 with 1501 viewsDejR_vu

BFG. on 17:54 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Indeed. Problem is when the rumour went round that JFH had wanted Skalak (who went to Brighton and is now on their bench) but LF and Ramsey weren't keen he got pelters for undermining the manager. Then when he backed the manager and released Hill and Faurlin he got pelters for that as well. Can't win.

He shouldn't be worried if he's getting pelters or not. One of the things TF is criticised for is pandering to the fans. Surely, LF should be putting a squad together for whatever manager/coach is in situ to work with. If the club didn't want to release Hill and Faurlin they shouldn't have. But the reality seems to be that nothing has changed as far as personnel is concerned. Rather than the DoF dictating the club's style of play and hiring coaches/managers accordingly, we are still hiring managers/coaches with different styles of play and having the same issues with player turnover as a result.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

BFG. on 23:34 - Jan 3 with 1477 viewsPunteR

BFG. on 18:44 - Jan 3 by rsonist

Les shouldn't be trying to please everyone.
The fact of the matter is we were 10th in the league with the players seemingly happy to play for JFH. Ok it wasn't pretty to watch etc but the results were steady.
Now it looks a mess again. Players not happy, bust ups, transfer requests..not to mention 3rd from bottom after losing 6 in a row.
I might be overreacting a bit because its all rumours for now but this window looks another busy one . I think LF is starting to put more pressure on himself if he's trying to keep TF happy and the manager. Especially if he going to start scrapping his own players he's helped bring in,and try and sign a load more. Wont be long before TF's chubby little trigger finger starts getting twitchy if things don't pick up 2nd half of the season.
I've been quite vocal with my support of LF and appreciate he has a tough job but it looks like we are making the same mistakes again. I've also been vocal of my criticism of Polter as I don't rate his technical ability's as a player but liked his personality and you could never fault him for effort. Handy as a squad player.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

BFG. on 23:36 - Jan 3 with 1474 viewsHitch

BFG. on 22:22 - Jan 3 by TacticalR

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Of course its not bad, just saying..
BFG. on 23:45 - Jan 3 with 1459 viewsdaveB

BFG. on 23:34 - Jan 3 by PunteR

Les shouldn't be trying to please everyone.
The fact of the matter is we were 10th in the league with the players seemingly happy to play for JFH. Ok it wasn't pretty to watch etc but the results were steady.
Now it looks a mess again. Players not happy, bust ups, transfer requests..not to mention 3rd from bottom after losing 6 in a row.
I might be overreacting a bit because its all rumours for now but this window looks another busy one . I think LF is starting to put more pressure on himself if he's trying to keep TF happy and the manager. Especially if he going to start scrapping his own players he's helped bring in,and try and sign a load more. Wont be long before TF's chubby little trigger finger starts getting twitchy if things don't pick up 2nd half of the season.
I've been quite vocal with my support of LF and appreciate he has a tough job but it looks like we are making the same mistakes again. I've also been vocal of my criticism of Polter as I don't rate his technical ability's as a player but liked his personality and you could never fault him for effort. Handy as a squad player.

We were 17th in the league when JFH left, 6 points off relegation
BFG. on 23:47 - Jan 3 with 1455 viewsdaveB

BFG. on 23:11 - Jan 3 by DylanP

Honestly, I would be disgusted if Seb was allowed to leave the club.

As it is, I haven't heard anything official so I am going to assume it is all bollox.

Seb is a big strong and young striker and he has done a good job for us so far this season. Obviously, he isn't perfect, but then again, we aren't Barcelona, are we?

If we got rid of him we would have to get another one of him in, and that would undoubtedly cost a fortune. It would be madness upon madness to get rid of him. Mind you, we got rid of JET, a move I still cannot fathom, given his scoring record for us.

We need to be cultivating and developing players not just dumping them after half a season and two bad games.

Disgusted for thinking about selling Polter, I've heard it all now.

Why don't we wait and see what happens rather than getting worked up over transfer rumours
BFG. on 23:49 - Jan 3 with 1453 viewsPunteR

BFG. on 23:45 - Jan 3 by daveB

We were 17th in the league when JFH left, 6 points off relegation

Fair dos. I knew I should of checked before knee jerking.

I stand by the rest of my post though ;)
[Post edited 3 Jan 2017 23:57]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

BFG. on 00:24 - Jan 4 with 1397 viewskensalriser

This transfer window is a great opportunity to cut out all the dead wood and replace it with Young, Hungry Players Who Want To Play For The Shirt (TM).

What could possibly go wrong?
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 1:17]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

BFG. on 00:32 - Jan 4 with 1378 viewsbob566

Can we stop the Walters chat. No hope. Stoke will be moving crouch ahead of him.
BFG. on 00:46 - Jan 4 with 1366 viewsjohncharles

BFG. on 23:47 - Jan 3 by daveB

Disgusted for thinking about selling Polter, I've heard it all now.

Why don't we wait and see what happens rather than getting worked up over transfer rumours

Rumours are all we have at the moment so we discuss those. Be a bit boring without them.

As Olly said we have do the best we can with what we've got
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 0:48]

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024