Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BFG. 16:18 - Jan 3 with 18631 viewsconnell10

On his way?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

BFG. on 02:03 - Jan 4 with 2268 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

heard a whisper that he's homesick and wants to go back to Germany...

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

BFG. on 08:37 - Jan 4 with 2121 viewsrsonist

BFG. on 20:00 - Jan 3 by Hunterhoop

If we spend as little on them as we did on Seb, yes, I'd be very surprised if they produced more than the BFG.

Booooooooo to Polter leaving. Boooooooooo!

Keep the BFG!

He cost over a million...

I'm disappointed as anyone that he's leaving, but to me it's halfway understandable at least. Also quite frankly it was bothering me how big his arse was getting.

If it was Borysiuk or Ngbakoto we were pushing out then the criticism of the club's strategy or lack thereof would be much more justified.
BFG. on 08:48 - Jan 4 with 2090 viewsdaveB

BFG. on 00:46 - Jan 4 by johncharles

Rumours are all we have at the moment so we discuss those. Be a bit boring without them.

As Olly said we have do the best we can with what we've got
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 0:48]

Of course its fine to discuss them I just think getting angry and disgusted by them is a bit over the top when half of the rumours never actually happen
BFG. on 08:59 - Jan 4 with 2061 viewsPinnerPaul

BFG. on 16:33 - Jan 3 by Northernr

There's more to the Polter situation than meets the eye IMO.

Anyway, looks like another six in six out window. Same again in the summer. Sack Holloway around November. New manager inherits squad of players signed under six different bosses. Twas ever thus.

Why do you say that Clive?

I have no knowledge either way obviously, but he has always come across very well in interviews - admitting he struggled to settle here, and how that effected his form.

Always seems to be a "trier", but admit the last few times I've seen him, he hasn't looked quite right.

Assumed it was because he wasn't fully fit,but maybe ,as you say, there are other "issues"
BFG. on 09:05 - Jan 4 with 2038 viewsHunterhoop

BFG. on 08:37 - Jan 4 by rsonist

He cost over a million...

I'm disappointed as anyone that he's leaving, but to me it's halfway understandable at least. Also quite frankly it was bothering me how big his arse was getting.

If it was Borysiuk or Ngbakoto we were pushing out then the criticism of the club's strategy or lack thereof would be much more justified.

But who can you get for £1m?!

Washington, from League 1, cost us £2.5m rising to £4m depending on appearances/goals...so let's say £2.5m.

Look, if the bloke wants to go back home, then we'll have to let him go.

I just think it's very short sighted at present. He's young, he can hold it up well, he's physical, seems popular with squad, works his socks off, scores 1 in 5. In our position, I think that's pretty good and what we need. I really do doubt we'll find anyone as good without spending more than we bought or sell him for. Although, if his move goes ahead,I'll gladly be proved wrong!

And his arse was his greatest strength! An arse of railway buffer proportions ably used for backing in purposes. Certainly far more useful than Washington's beach weight biceps, which when push comes to shove, proved useless as he bounces off another centre halves.
BFG. on 09:19 - Jan 4 with 2013 viewsjonno

BFG. on 18:36 - Jan 3 by WatfordR

Have to say I don;t think we should be buying or selling anyone (beyond Caulker and Sandro who are on big money and don't fit the current wage structure), if we have any say in the matter. If we are being run more professionally than hitherto, we must have replacement targets in mind for the likes of Chery, who I understood we had bought to improve and sell on.

As you say, Olly was brought in with the remit to work with what he had. And I have always had the suspicion that he was brought in a stop gap til the end of the season, no matter what the "public" term of his contract.

If we are looking to bring in an experienced striker, I can't imagine anyone who would be better as back up to Sylla than Polter, and who would want to be seen as back up. Polter may not be perfect, but he's certainly improved since he got here. And if we bring a Jon Walters type to start instead of Sylla, we lose out on the opportunity to further coach and develop Sylla, who I believe has all the attributes to b plenty good enough for us.

If we're not careful, we'll be back where we were with Arry, buying "right sorts" to cover up the lack of ability in our coaching set up.

Totally agree. January is generally not a good time to buy players, and we've just won two on the trot so maybe things are starting to turn around. We need to work with the players we have.
BFG. on 09:24 - Jan 4 with 1996 viewsrsonist

BFG. on 09:05 - Jan 4 by Hunterhoop

But who can you get for £1m?!

Washington, from League 1, cost us £2.5m rising to £4m depending on appearances/goals...so let's say £2.5m.

Look, if the bloke wants to go back home, then we'll have to let him go.

I just think it's very short sighted at present. He's young, he can hold it up well, he's physical, seems popular with squad, works his socks off, scores 1 in 5. In our position, I think that's pretty good and what we need. I really do doubt we'll find anyone as good without spending more than we bought or sell him for. Although, if his move goes ahead,I'll gladly be proved wrong!

And his arse was his greatest strength! An arse of railway buffer proportions ably used for backing in purposes. Certainly far more useful than Washington's beach weight biceps, which when push comes to shove, proved useless as he bounces off another centre halves.

The arse was indeed superbly effective to begin with but it just seemed to get bulkier and bulkier as the season went on, to his detriment IMO. He became lumbering and then a series of glute/hamstring injuries put him out completely.

Washington was an outlier I would say - Peterborough always extract maximum wedge, and the investment was a speculative one inflated by perceived potential. Quite likely a knee-jerk post-Austin panic buy too if we're honest. If we're looking for a limited battering ram for the here and now Gregory wouldn't go for more than £1m, Bogle and Akinde top scoring in L2 are around the half mil mark if that.

Spiritually Polts is proper Rangers, briefly showed us what our club was supposed to be like again, taught us how to love etc. Honestly I'd have thought Ollie would have loved him too - maybe a different bygone Ollie now. Hey ho.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 9:25]
BFG. on 09:41 - Jan 4 with 1955 viewsDesertBoot

My gym always play a really annoying tune that goes "eat, sleep, rave, repeat". We should ask the Loftus Roadrunners to release, "buy, sell, sack, repeat".
We sacked JFH despite during his tenure the wage bill was slashed, young players were drafted into the team and we were mid-table for most of them time - then Tony tweets we should be higher up the table.
In comes Holloway who we are told has been asked to get more from this (amazing) squad of players, be more attack-minded and the notion that Washington will suddenly play in his best position and start scoring lots of goals. Well that didn't last long and here we are again doing what QPR love doing - buying and shifting.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2017 9:43]

Wish I could be like David Watts

Login to get fewer ads

BFG. on 10:20 - Jan 4 with 1865 viewsDannytheR

BFG. on 09:24 - Jan 4 by rsonist

The arse was indeed superbly effective to begin with but it just seemed to get bulkier and bulkier as the season went on, to his detriment IMO. He became lumbering and then a series of glute/hamstring injuries put him out completely.

Washington was an outlier I would say - Peterborough always extract maximum wedge, and the investment was a speculative one inflated by perceived potential. Quite likely a knee-jerk post-Austin panic buy too if we're honest. If we're looking for a limited battering ram for the here and now Gregory wouldn't go for more than £1m, Bogle and Akinde top scoring in L2 are around the half mil mark if that.

Spiritually Polts is proper Rangers, briefly showed us what our club was supposed to be like again, taught us how to love etc. Honestly I'd have thought Ollie would have loved him too - maybe a different bygone Ollie now. Hey ho.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 9:25]

That's how I always saw Washington too, as a buy mostly driven by wanting to keep the fans happy (this is QPR, after all). We were losing Austin, we had to make it look like there was a plan involved, and from a PR perspective he was the perfect replacement - young, British, lower league goal machine type. Just hasn't worked on the pitch, sadly.
BFG. on 10:26 - Jan 4 with 1833 viewssimmo

BFG. on 10:20 - Jan 4 by DannytheR

That's how I always saw Washington too, as a buy mostly driven by wanting to keep the fans happy (this is QPR, after all). We were losing Austin, we had to make it look like there was a plan involved, and from a PR perspective he was the perfect replacement - young, British, lower league goal machine type. Just hasn't worked on the pitch, sadly.

Can we not play Washington down the middle with a strike partner for a bit before deciding he's shit? After all he was bought on the basis that he was successful doing that but we've played him in that situation what, twice maybe?

As for Polter, I like him and I hope he stays. We've gone through the period it takes players to adapt to this league and he has a strong affinity with the club. I personally think he wants to go back to Germany due to non-football reasons and that's why the club are willing to hear offers, but either way he's gonna be more difficult to replace than people think.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 10:28]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

BFG. on 10:30 - Jan 4 with 1815 viewsrsonist

Until we play Wash up top with a partner for a run of games none of us can still really say if he's got it or not. Reading between the lines of TRANSFER FLOP there's a difference between a club buying a bad player and a club buying a good player and then failing him.

Even if we did give him that run of games now we'd probably need to write off the first few to repair the damage to his confidence/instincts.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 10:30]
BFG. on 10:47 - Jan 4 with 1753 viewsDannytheR

BFG. on 10:26 - Jan 4 by simmo

Can we not play Washington down the middle with a strike partner for a bit before deciding he's shit? After all he was bought on the basis that he was successful doing that but we've played him in that situation what, twice maybe?

As for Polter, I like him and I hope he stays. We've gone through the period it takes players to adapt to this league and he has a strong affinity with the club. I personally think he wants to go back to Germany due to non-football reasons and that's why the club are willing to hear offers, but either way he's gonna be more difficult to replace than people think.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 10:28]

I'm sceptical about Washington, but there's a difference between saying he was bought for silly reasons and that he's shît. Pretty much everyone who comes to the club comes here for a silly reason, the DOF and current manager included, and a lot of them are great.
BFG. on 10:59 - Jan 4 with 1709 viewsLunarJetman

BFG. on 09:41 - Jan 4 by DesertBoot

My gym always play a really annoying tune that goes "eat, sleep, rave, repeat". We should ask the Loftus Roadrunners to release, "buy, sell, sack, repeat".
We sacked JFH despite during his tenure the wage bill was slashed, young players were drafted into the team and we were mid-table for most of them time - then Tony tweets we should be higher up the table.
In comes Holloway who we are told has been asked to get more from this (amazing) squad of players, be more attack-minded and the notion that Washington will suddenly play in his best position and start scoring lots of goals. Well that didn't last long and here we are again doing what QPR love doing - buying and shifting.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2017 9:43]

Until the club stops running as if it were a Twitter democracy nothing is going to change.
BFG. on 11:01 - Jan 4 with 1693 viewsBakes

Told he wouldn't start at Brighton and threw a strop, then came into training the next day saying he was injured, coincidently the same time as his family were over from Germany.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

BFG. on 11:02 - Jan 4 with 1684 viewsGloucs_R

BFG. on 11:01 - Jan 4 by Bakes

Told he wouldn't start at Brighton and threw a strop, then came into training the next day saying he was injured, coincidently the same time as his family were over from Germany.

Sadly, not for the first time.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

BFG. on 11:06 - Jan 4 with 1668 viewsstevec

BFG. on 17:32 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Henry, fair enough, even without the argument, and even though I believe he is very harshly criticised, he's obviously gone on a season too long.

Polter I quite like.

Chery, decent player out of form and low on confidence. We've found it quite difficult to fit him into our team since he got here. If he doesn't want to stay (the transfer request doesn't necessarily mean that, it's just him forfeiting his 'loyalty bonus' basically) or has had his head turned AND we get a decent cash offer than maybe. But, again, nowhere near as bad as people suddenly think he is.

The players you crack on about are nowhere near as bad as you make out, and nowhere near as good as other people say. It's just typical QPR "he's sht, need a new signing" attitude. Gladwin, Henry, Hasselbaink, Phillips, Fer all of these people are supposedly "sht, need a new signing" and now they've all gone the results are still poor. Instead of noticing this, you just set off after Perch, Onuoha, Luongo, Chery or whoever it is this week. I'll bet you now, when they're all gone, we'll still be sht.

A few things worry me about this specifically...

1 - It is not healthy do keep doing this as a club. 6 in 6 out every window, manager changed every autumn. You end up with a squad put together under five or six different managers all of them with different ideals (because, unlike more settled clubs, the managers we hire are all wildly different as well). So Hasslebaink has made signings for a defensive set up 4-2-3-1, Ramsey made signings for a 4-3-3, Holloway is now making signings for something else. It leads to exactly what you see before you - odd, dysfunctional squad.

2 - Holloway's remit was to come in and work with what we had. "Rub off on them a bit", play them in their correct positions etc. We've abandoned that after a month have we? Going to spend yet more money on another lorry load of new players? Are we ever actually going to stick to one plan? "Conor Washington will score loads of goals, I can't wait to tell him, he's an off the shoulder striker, not somebody that comes in off the wing..." that lasted, what, a week? Played in a two up front, scored against Norwich, nearly scored in the first half against Ipswich, never been allowed to play there again.

I take your point, 6 in 6 out is not ideal, but think we're overplaying excuse of tactics and not playing in correct positions, some of these players are just not up to this Division.

Don't think I've ever targeted Perch or Fer and certainly not Phillips (till he'd clearly given up on those round him), always been Luongo, Chery (don't think you'd want to be a defender playing behind those two), Washington and Nkgaboto, but admit the forwards are possibly getting a bum deal due to the ineptitude of centre mid.

So what do you do when the centre mid gets swamped week after week? You go out and find one that doesn't. That problem has to be sorted now.

Turning this round, do you honestly think Luongo, Nkgaboto and Chery will ever be the answer to our problems?

The essence of any good side is to look to improve it. You can't stand still hoping so many players are suddenly going to come right, it rarely ever happens.

If you don't mind me going back to yesteryear, I can remember around 1970 watching a set of youth players, the finest this club ever produced, playing some wonderful football in this Division. You sensed the club were onto something but we spent the next couple of seasons looking good without ever troubling the promotion spots. Why? As good as those players were, we had a forward line that wan't quite up to their standard. So the club had a choice. Stand still and hope a great midfield and full backs could carry us forward (clubs were sniffing around them by then) and risk losing them OR invest in forwards who might just compliment the side. We could have got it wrong. We could have bought no one. We bought Bowles, Givens and Thomas.

If that hadn't happened, the whole side would have broken up.

I don't for one minute think we look anything like that now but it's the duty of every supporter to push the club to do better and if that means change, then change.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:32 - Jan 4 with 1591 viewsterryb

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:39 - Jan 3 by Northernr

If you sell seven first team players in January, whatever you think of them and however they're playing, you're absolutely bloody crackers. Notoriously expensive time to buy, notoriously difficult time of the year to get anybody half decent because nobody wants to let them go halfway through a season.

If we're getting rid of Polter, Chery, Henry, and hopefully Caulker and Sandro for cash reasons. That's going to leave us needing at least one new striker if not two (at a time when the market for strikers is hyper-inflated), at least one decent central midfielder if not two, plus the existing problem areas - right back. Trying to do all that in January isn't possible - even if we get them all, on our budget they'll likely be stepping up a division or coming from Europe again, so they certainly won't be hitting the ground running, it'll take time (again) that we don't seem willing to give anybody.

We seem to be talking about replacing half the team in four weeks in the middle of the season while still playing games. It's bloody alarming, and yet all I'm hearing is "good, bloody sht, good riddance".

Like I say, I'm uncomfortable with this. Blow the team apart and then stick it back together with a winger on loan from Brighton, Charlie Adam, , couple of permanent signings, couple of kids coming back from a loan at Swindon and so on? Feels a bit baby and bath water for me.

Typical QPR thing to do though, we'll probably let him flog the other half of the team in the summer and then sack him in November.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Like you Clive, I find the continual changing of the squad every transfer windfow maddening & it has been very costly. Financially & playing wise.

However, the club are still in a postion where they need to reduce the outgoings & try to make a profit in the transfer market. Therefore, we need to sell if the offer reaches the clubs valuation. This applies to ALL players that we have under contract & unfortunately has no limitations on numbers.

Although we are near the bottom of The Championship (Division Two), IMO this is the first window for years that we may receive offers that fulfils the criteria.

It would be nice to see the back of some players (in capitals), but I don't want to lose all of Smithies, CAULKER, HENRY, SANDRO, Chery, Washington, Polter etc. Maybe we will receive enquiries for Luongo & Hall as well.

However, could we afford to reject a £6 million + bid for Smithies? An offer of over £4m for Chery? Removing £1.5m form our wages on Sandro? And so on.

Of course, this leaves us with the very difficult job of recruiting enough players of sufficient ability to replace the departed in the squad. To my mind, we have already "signed" three new players in Furlong, Doughty & Manning.

Are these three ready for a hard half season in the lower reaches of our division? I have no idea, but what a time to find out! Personally, I would prefer that we take this chance & stand by them even if it ended in relegation.

I havel no idea as to any replacements for those that depart. I just hope that they are signed at a reasonable valuation & on the basis that we will develop them as players & increase their worth. I certainly wouldn't like us to sign "like for like" type of players, but I would fail to know if we had!

For a change, perhaps Queens Park Rangers can be the club that gains from the silly January tranasfer market!
BFG. on 12:06 - Jan 4 with 1479 viewssmegma

BFG. on 17:32 - Jan 3 by lave16

if we can sell polter (will be sorry he tries hard but sylla is better), Washington (not sure he will make it at this level maybe in a couple of years), cherry , henry , sandro and caulker and possible onhua and come out with more money than we spent on them I would say fair play.

lunongo I'm not convinced will make it here either...

Queens Park Rangers are set to accept a £2.5 million bid from Chinese Super League new boys Guizhou Hengfeng Zhicheng for Tjaronn Chery, according to the Sun.

Ghizou what???

Give us a G-eeeeeee, Aaaaaaaaaitch.......
BFG. on 12:29 - Jan 4 with 1421 viewsPinnerPaul

BFG. on 23:45 - Jan 3 by daveB

We were 17th in the league when JFH left, 6 points off relegation

............but only 6 points from 6th, we're now 13 points from there.
BFG. on 13:12 - Jan 4 with 1292 viewsWestbourneR

BFG. on 11:02 - Jan 4 by Gloucs_R

Sadly, not for the first time.

Can you both please expand? Are you saying Polter has thrown a strop before?? I've never heard that.

I have to say when Seb Polter was on the podcast I thought he had an almost delusional belief in his own quality - 'i'm not saying i'm perfect because you always improve but...' - I mean we're talking about a player who regularly trips over the ball it lets it slip under his foot when controlling a pass.

One of the biggest mis conceptions is that he's big - he isn't very big and he rarely wins the aerial dual with his centre back, he just backs into the CB and loses out.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

BFG. on 13:17 - Jan 4 with 1258 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG. on 13:12 - Jan 4 by WestbourneR

Can you both please expand? Are you saying Polter has thrown a strop before?? I've never heard that.

I have to say when Seb Polter was on the podcast I thought he had an almost delusional belief in his own quality - 'i'm not saying i'm perfect because you always improve but...' - I mean we're talking about a player who regularly trips over the ball it lets it slip under his foot when controlling a pass.

One of the biggest mis conceptions is that he's big - he isn't very big and he rarely wins the aerial dual with his centre back, he just backs into the CB and loses out.

He tweeted his annoyance at being uninvolved before Ramsey was sacked. JFH brought him in from the cold.

He's a decent player and target man - he and Chery had a good partnership back end of last season, that sadly got phased out.

The four players who scored and assisted about 80% of our goals after Christmas last year until the end of the season could all be gone inside 6 months of the season ending!

Worried by all this to be honest. Hope it works out. May well simply be that Ollie is happy to get a decent fee for Chery and to re-invest and thinks he can replace Polter easily enough, but not encouraged by names like Rodallega. Another new direction.

Bare bones.

BFG. on 13:38 - Jan 4 with 1205 viewsSilverfoxqpr

BFG. on 21:23 - Jan 3 by loneranger1

Well... I felt that was such a depressing thread when I read it through first time earlier on.

Personally feel
- yes Ollie should generally be working with what he´s got - I think the squad has shown it´s good enough to compete in this league, at least enough to stay up
- yes it feels rubbish to always be bringing in new faces (and add to the feeling that we don´t give enough time/enough games in the right position to the ones we already have to really know whether they´re the kind of players we want (Washington, Borysiuk, Cousins...)

But...
- as people have pointed out, surely we should judge Ollie´s judgement on players - most have had game time under him, we´ve had a 6 game losing streak and 2 straight wins for him to get an impression of people in the dressing room and at training as well as in matches
- haven´t been to HQ since Derby but we looked all right in that and by all accounts has enough spirit to get wins where it looked like we could end up losing... don´t remember that happening very often with JFH
- Chery has been a problem player for us since about October and wasn´t involved in us winning a couple of games. Has been largely anonymous since missing that penalty in the 1st minute (5th by the time he got to take it!) against Norwich
- Sandro and Caulker should have gone ages ago, as I think most people agree. I really can´t see Henry as being a major loss if the other midfielders stay fit. Doughty´s back as well, I´m sure we can manage without Henry and Sandro until the Summer!
- would be a shame about Polter but I think we all know Sylla is better... if he´s homesick then it´s best for him to go (if we can get another in - Gregory from Millwall would be great right now)

COYRs (yes please to a cup run - have horrible memories of what may have been Ollie´s last cup game in charge when we got well beat, 3-0 at home to Forest...)

Blimey, tell you what Doughty better be spraying those 50 yard cross field balls straight to feet, tackling like Souness circa 1978 and be locked into perpetual box to box running mode at the same time if and when he makes the starting 11. Not having a pop at you at all lone ranger, just pointing out that I must have read at least two dozen posts on here recently with regards to Doughty and his return and I'm concerned we're all expecting a bit too much. He's done ok as a holding midfielder when I've seen him play but that's about it. Apologies in advance, off topic I know.
BFG. on 13:40 - Jan 4 with 1197 viewsDannytheR

BFG. on 13:17 - Jan 4 by Antti_Heinola

He tweeted his annoyance at being uninvolved before Ramsey was sacked. JFH brought him in from the cold.

He's a decent player and target man - he and Chery had a good partnership back end of last season, that sadly got phased out.

The four players who scored and assisted about 80% of our goals after Christmas last year until the end of the season could all be gone inside 6 months of the season ending!

Worried by all this to be honest. Hope it works out. May well simply be that Ollie is happy to get a decent fee for Chery and to re-invest and thinks he can replace Polter easily enough, but not encouraged by names like Rodallega. Another new direction.

Christ. I'm hoping that Rodallega is just a figment of the imagination of the comically unreliable Get West London. On the other hand, with many of the fans having decided we don't want young, up and coming players from League One and abroad after all, it would be ever so QPR to bring in him and Charlie Adam.
BFG. on 14:11 - Jan 4 with 1112 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG. on 13:40 - Jan 4 by DannytheR

Christ. I'm hoping that Rodallega is just a figment of the imagination of the comically unreliable Get West London. On the other hand, with many of the fans having decided we don't want young, up and coming players from League One and abroad after all, it would be ever so QPR to bring in him and Charlie Adam.

Actually, although I'm more the patient type and am certain Cousins will be a very, very good player for us and I think Luongo gets unfair stick, if the money worked I genuinely think Adam would be a decent fit.

Bare bones.

BFG. on 14:29 - Jan 4 with 1075 viewsPlanetHonneywood

BFG. on 21:09 - Jan 3 by Hitch

My mate changed birds all the time. My mate is still single.

If I woke up next to the female equivalent of BFG, I sure as shit would be reviewing my dating policy and would definitely be looking to do my offloading elsewhere!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024