Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BFG. 16:18 - Jan 3 with 18767 viewsconnell10

On his way?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

BFG. on 08:01 - Jan 10 with 1963 viewsGloucs_R

BFG. on 07:06 - Jan 10 by PunteR

Lets be honest, he was a bit crap.

Disagree.

He came to us raw, from a German team, first experience of English football....technically limited but tried hard, was a handful for defenders and scored a few goals. I can think of far worse strikers we have had over the years.

Given time (he improved in the short time he was here) he could have gotten better.

We need to stop turning on players and judging them after a few games, then making them the boo boys. Its getting ridiculous now. Nobody is going to want to come here and play when your own fans are hostile towards you.

Gladwin is another one....not good enough but doesn't deserve to be booed by our own fans.

Sir Les would have been hounded out before he had a chance to get going if he turned up in this era at Rangers.

Poll: Are we staying up?

BFG. on 08:05 - Jan 10 with 1958 viewsBlackCrowe

BFG. on 07:06 - Jan 10 by PunteR

Lets be honest, he was a bit crap.

I liked him and his effort and surprising turn of speed. But that aside, he was a bit crap.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

BFG. on 08:18 - Jan 10 with 1921 viewspaulparker

BFG. on 08:05 - Jan 10 by BlackCrowe

I liked him and his effort and surprising turn of speed. But that aside, he was a bit crap.

I like him to but not gutted to see him leave , saying that I thought him and Washington gave Norwich a torrid time for around 50 minutes , shame we never got to see that partnership given at least 5 games
we have made a profit so we move on, problem is the market is getting silly 15 million for Hogan , 3 million for Nugent so it maybe we look again to overseas again or we play Cylla/Washington or Cylla/Yenni personally if we could nab a jonathan walters until the end of the season on loan I would be more than happy him in a front 3 of Mackie and Washington would be very hard working and effective

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

BFG. on 09:12 - Jan 10 with 1807 viewsNorthernr

BFG. on 08:18 - Jan 10 by paulparker

I like him to but not gutted to see him leave , saying that I thought him and Washington gave Norwich a torrid time for around 50 minutes , shame we never got to see that partnership given at least 5 games
we have made a profit so we move on, problem is the market is getting silly 15 million for Hogan , 3 million for Nugent so it maybe we look again to overseas again or we play Cylla/Washington or Cylla/Yenni personally if we could nab a jonathan walters until the end of the season on loan I would be more than happy him in a front 3 of Mackie and Washington would be very hard working and effective

There's a few people on here keep mentioning Jon Walters - he's made 22 appearances for Stoke this season and started six of their last eight league games. Not sure how realistic that is as a target.

Like you say striker market at the moment + our financial situation means we'd probably only be looking abroad for another Polter/Sylla type anyway, who then needs the time to settle in etc etc.

I'm not sure what's more irritating - the "confirm Ravel" mouth breathers who just don't get this, or the people who do get this but still call for Ferdinand/Hasselbaink/Ramsey etc to be sacked for trying to work within it.
BFG. on 09:57 - Jan 10 with 1677 viewsterryb

I'm sure the club won't announce transfer figures at present, but do they have to itemise them in the club accounts?

If not, how can they quantify profit/loss on transfer fees?

Come to that, incoming transfer fees. Are they accounted for over a period of time rather than in one financial year?
BFG. on 10:01 - Jan 10 with 1656 viewsdaveB

BFG. on 09:57 - Jan 10 by terryb

I'm sure the club won't announce transfer figures at present, but do they have to itemise them in the club accounts?

If not, how can they quantify profit/loss on transfer fees?

Come to that, incoming transfer fees. Are they accounted for over a period of time rather than in one financial year?

The cost of transfers is usually split over time rather than all of it upfront
BFG. on 10:17 - Jan 10 with 1618 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG. on 23:01 - Jan 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah sure but I'm not having it that LF should take much credit balanced against the utter dross he had also got in.

Every club ever, outside of clubs that can afford to just spend £30m on every player they buy, makes bad buys. That's just fact. Some buys work, some don't.

Whatever your opinion of Chery, he scored 14 goals for us in 18 months, and was frequently our brightest spark and certainly our biggest assister for that time. Sold on at a profit. Tick.

Polter, not expensive, works hard, got some key goals. Sold at a profit. Tick.

Smithies. Best keeper we've had in years. Tick.

Sylla. Potentially an absolute steal - 6 goals in not many games, big, strong, a good number 9 at a reasonable price. Tick.

Hall - I think everyone agrees for a free he's been very good. player of last season.

Wszolek - Taking his time to come together, but starting to look like one of our better players.

Elsewhere, there were excellent reasons and arguments for buying Luongo, Bidwell, Cousins, Toszer, Lynch, Mackie... even if they haven't worked out yet or in the case of Toszer, didn't work out at all, you could see the reason for getting them. Toszer was clearly there to challenge Ale, and had been a key to Watford's promotion.

Konchesky - I could see the reasons (experience, leadership), but the wrong signing. And while I don';t think Perch has been half as bad as made out, he hasn't been a good signing for the money. Gladwin clearly hasn't worked out yet either, and haven't been impressed, sadly, although clearly there's something there.

Overall, considering what we've lost over 18 months, and having to haul in wages and transfer fees, I really can't see that the club has done particularly badly with transfers. Some aren't working. some are struggling. But for me there have been very few poor signings. Yes, we've got worse - but I'm afraid that was inevitable as the club restructured. Everyone accepted that a year ago, and then, like Tony, abandoned that when we weren't top 4 by November.

Trouble is, LF can't win. The good ones will be credited to the manager, the bad ones to him, even when every decision is a joint one.

Bare bones.

BFG. on 10:27 - Jan 10 with 1580 viewsWestbourneR

BFG. on 08:05 - Jan 10 by BlackCrowe

He was, technically, crap. And not actually very big.

Which makes him a 'f**king German'.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Login to get fewer ads

BFG. on 10:31 - Jan 10 with 1547 viewsrobith

I know he wants to go, but seems a mistake IMO.

We're already light up front, it's a bad time to buy strikers, new player would need to settle in, he works hard and gives a toss about playing.
BFG. on 10:42 - Jan 10 with 1496 viewsCamberleyR

Nobody gets it right everytime in the transfer market. Take Alex Ferguson. To go alongside his brilliant value signings like Irwin, Schmeicel, Cantona, Solskjaer, Sheringham, he bought some right duds during his time at Man U.

Djemba-Djemba
Kleberson
Taibi
Hargreaves
Anderson
Veron
Bebe
Zaha

Over 100 million for that lot. All massive flops.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

BFG. on 10:47 - Jan 10 with 1481 viewsPunteR

BFG. on 08:01 - Jan 10 by Gloucs_R

Disagree.

He came to us raw, from a German team, first experience of English football....technically limited but tried hard, was a handful for defenders and scored a few goals. I can think of far worse strikers we have had over the years.

Given time (he improved in the short time he was here) he could have gotten better.

We need to stop turning on players and judging them after a few games, then making them the boo boys. Its getting ridiculous now. Nobody is going to want to come here and play when your own fans are hostile towards you.

Gladwin is another one....not good enough but doesn't deserve to be booed by our own fans.

Sir Les would have been hounded out before he had a chance to get going if he turned up in this era at Rangers.

I hear you Gloucs.
Doesn't play for us now though does he..
Improved? His goals dried up didn't they?
Its all relative isn't it? Compare him to Austin he was pretty crap compare him to Boothroyd and he's Ronaldo.
Don't get me wrong , I liked him for his attitude on the pitch(obviously suspect off it) and worked hard. He ticked all the boxes for what the club are now trying to do, cheap, hardworking players. But he was a limited player from what I saw.
I never booed him for the record. He actually made me laugh sometimes.
Fairly entertaining player to watch on occasions.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

BFG. on 10:48 - Jan 10 with 1466 views1BobbyHazell

BFG. on 09:12 - Jan 10 by Northernr

There's a few people on here keep mentioning Jon Walters - he's made 22 appearances for Stoke this season and started six of their last eight league games. Not sure how realistic that is as a target.

Like you say striker market at the moment + our financial situation means we'd probably only be looking abroad for another Polter/Sylla type anyway, who then needs the time to settle in etc etc.

I'm not sure what's more irritating - the "confirm Ravel" mouth breathers who just don't get this, or the people who do get this but still call for Ferdinand/Hasselbaink/Ramsey etc to be sacked for trying to work within it.

You can add Crouch to the Walters list as well.

Seeing people calling for us to sign the likes of them (players featuring regularly for a top half premiership side earning five times as much as we could pay them) does go some way to explaining why a few think everything is sh1t and everyone bar Holloway (for now) is to blame. Some fans are definitely still struggling to come to terms with not being rich/wasteful/flush anymore.

Those sorts of players are out of our league now, so it's not really fair to judge our signings based on the myth that we could be getting in still effective premiership strikers earning 40k plus a week instead.
BFG. on 10:52 - Jan 10 with 1450 viewsaston_hoop

Union Berlin have announced it in case there was any doubt

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/profis/aktuelle-meldungen/detail/Back-for-good-1-F

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

BFG. on 10:56 - Jan 10 with 1422 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

BFG. on 10:52 - Jan 10 by aston_hoop

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/profis/aktuelle-meldungen/detail/Back-for-good-1-F

Shame.

I'm going to run around the garden kicking a tennis ball all over the place with my shins and back into the missus with my fat arse while she's trying to bring in the shopping from the car in homage to the great man...
BFG. on 11:00 - Jan 10 with 1398 viewsSimonJames

BFG. on 10:52 - Jan 10 by aston_hoop

100% of people who drink water will die.

BFG. on 11:10 - Jan 10 with 1344 viewsWestbourneR

I'm amazed we got our money back and more - I think Sylla shows there are far better players out there for the same money or less. Very good business, well done to the club.

BFG. on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 1293 views2Thomas2Bowles

BFG. on 11:10 - Jan 10 by WestbourneR

I'm amazed we got our money back and more - I think Sylla shows there are far better players out there for the same money or less. Very good business, well done to the club.

Did the club have much choice in it or just got lucky on a fee if that fee is more than paid.

He wanted to go, in mid season when we don't have the cover. don't see how this is good business planing or why they should be congratulated.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

BFG. on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 1287 viewsDieByYourSide

Late to the party on this one but if we really have got £3m (admittedly probably not up front) that is fantastic business.

Poll: And it's hi ho

BFG. on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 1279 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

BFG. on 11:10 - Jan 10 by WestbourneR

Wow you are a hard man to please!
BFG. on 11:22 - Jan 10 with 1240 viewsWestbourneR

BFG. on 11:17 - Jan 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Did the club have much choice in it or just got lucky on a fee if that fee is more than paid.

He wanted to go, in mid season when we don't have the cover. don't see how this is good business planing or why they should be congratulated.

Because he doesn't win any ball in the air, he trips over with the ball at feet, he mis-controls passes and runs down blind alleys. He scores 1 in 5.

It's good business because he isn't a very good striker.

Now if we don't sign anyone or contrive to sign someone worse, it will be bad business. But we've got most of the month to re-invest in someone superior.

BFG. on 11:22 - Jan 10 with 1237 viewsDieByYourSide

The same money as what? Sylla cost £1.75m, not a small outlay

Poll: And it's hi ho

BFG. on 11:25 - Jan 10 with 1197 views2Thomas2Bowles

BFG. on 11:22 - Jan 10 by WestbourneR

Because he doesn't win any ball in the air, he trips over with the ball at feet, he mis-controls passes and runs down blind alleys. He scores 1 in 5.

It's good business because he isn't a very good striker.

Now if we don't sign anyone or contrive to sign someone worse, it will be bad business. But we've got most of the month to re-invest in someone superior.

Well it was him doing us a favour wanting to go home then.

Well done BFG.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

BFG. on 11:40 - Jan 10 with 1132 viewsWestbourneR

Sigh.

In todays terms it's a very small outlay for a striker. £750k less than Washington.

BFG. on 11:42 - Jan 10 with 1119 viewsRBlock

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
BFG. on 11:57 - Jan 10 with 1051 viewsWestbourneR

BFG. on 11:42 - Jan 10 by RBlock

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

This.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024