Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holloway's Post-Match Comments 20:42 - Jan 7 with 14489 viewsDWQPR

QPR boss Ian Holloway:

"That team, who haven't played before, will never be picked again. Simple as that.

"I wanted that team to fight and do it for each other. Unfortunately they couldn't do it.

"Simple things we don't do well enough as a group. It's very disappointing.

"There will be changes. You've got to get your foot in and we didn't do it well enough. Jamie Mackie did - he tackled everybody. But where's the rest? Come on.

"I've made some changes but I wanted to win and I thought that was a strong enough team."

Glad he thought it was strong enough. Playing Gladwin from the start immediately reduced us to ten men. More worrying though these comments strike me that there doesn't seem to be much redox left between the management and the players.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 12:39 - Jan 10 with 993 viewsdaveB

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 12:12 - Jan 10 by PinnerPaul

Ignoring the dubious mathematical logic of your opening paragraph - Ollie had a 100% record after 1 game for example! - and the fact you want to ignore the stats because they don't back up your argument - I really can't agree the games have been more entertaining.

Of course no one enjoys losing 6 in a row, but the quality of football & match v Ipswich was dire I thought & we won!

We'll have to agree to disagree but I am really struggling to find the "improvement" you talk about under IH.

was dubious about it? If those stats are done over the full season then Haselbaink had more games than Holloway so number of shots etc are clearly going to be more as he had 10 more matches
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 12:39 - Jan 10 with 984 viewsisawqpratwcity

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 10:06 - Jan 10 by daveB

so are those stats done over the same number of games? If it's over the season then of course Hasselbainks stats will be better as he had 10 more games.

Really I don't care what the stats say. I'm only saying what i see and for me we are more attacking now than we were before and I've enjoyed the games more under Holloway than I did under Hasselbaink. That doesn't make him better or worse, I don;t think he's been here anywhere near long enough to make a fair comparison.

Those are per game averages. Holloway has only nine games, Hasselbaink 16. Fwiw, JFH had eight home, eight away, while IH has five home and four away.

Nine and sixteen games aren't huge samples so it is up to you how much credence you give to the stats. My gut feel is that the level of significant difference would be somewhere about 5-10%, so that 10% or less difference and you may not be able to say if they are genuinely different. Any statisticians, please feel free to jump in.

I was surprised how bad a light it puts on Holloway. His supporters claim the team is more attacking, but the stats don't bear that out. His games score less, concede more, and pretty much because his games have us less on target and the opposition more. We are now worse in both attack and defence. It ain't pretty. And the worst statistic is the points per game. That had Jimmy on track for a dull, mediocre season, but has Olly on course for a relegation scrap.

Let's hope Ferdinand and Hoos can pull a juicy rabbit or two out of the hat this window, and that Olly finds a bit of his old magic, too. I still want him to see this out. The club is making sterling efforts to cure past ills, but a lack of commitment to managers is a problem that doesn't seem to be improving.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:07 - Jan 10 with 940 viewsdaveB

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 12:39 - Jan 10 by isawqpratwcity

Those are per game averages. Holloway has only nine games, Hasselbaink 16. Fwiw, JFH had eight home, eight away, while IH has five home and four away.

Nine and sixteen games aren't huge samples so it is up to you how much credence you give to the stats. My gut feel is that the level of significant difference would be somewhere about 5-10%, so that 10% or less difference and you may not be able to say if they are genuinely different. Any statisticians, please feel free to jump in.

I was surprised how bad a light it puts on Holloway. His supporters claim the team is more attacking, but the stats don't bear that out. His games score less, concede more, and pretty much because his games have us less on target and the opposition more. We are now worse in both attack and defence. It ain't pretty. And the worst statistic is the points per game. That had Jimmy on track for a dull, mediocre season, but has Olly on course for a relegation scrap.

Let's hope Ferdinand and Hoos can pull a juicy rabbit or two out of the hat this window, and that Olly finds a bit of his old magic, too. I still want him to see this out. The club is making sterling efforts to cure past ills, but a lack of commitment to managers is a problem that doesn't seem to be improving.

I don't understand how JFH in 17th place, 2 wins in his last 12 games was on target for mid table and Holloway in 17th place, 3 wins in last 9 is on course for a relegation scrap. Both of them were/are in for a relegation scrap.
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:51 - Jan 10 with 899 viewsisawqpratwcity

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:07 - Jan 10 by daveB

I don't understand how JFH in 17th place, 2 wins in his last 12 games was on target for mid table and Holloway in 17th place, 3 wins in last 9 is on course for a relegation scrap. Both of them were/are in for a relegation scrap.

JFH: 1.25 points per game.

IH: 1.00 points per game.

Jimmy's statistic is now frozen in time, while Olly can improve his, or maintain it, or get worse. It's up to him.

And btw, JFH had three wins in his last twelve: Bristol, Fulham and Wigan. You'd do better to say 2 wins in the last eleven, then you can eclipse an entire, very successful Championship August for JFH, with three wins out of 5.

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:53 - Jan 10 with 897 viewsPinnerPaul

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 12:39 - Jan 10 by daveB

was dubious about it? If those stats are done over the full season then Haselbaink had more games than Holloway so number of shots etc are clearly going to be more as he had 10 more matches

Easier to get a high win % over less games, so smaller sample actually favours IH.

Its PER GAME average we're talking about not total so shots etc are fair comparison and, anyway I thought you said you were ignoring the stats in any case!
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:35 - Jan 10 with 824 viewsdaveB

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:51 - Jan 10 by isawqpratwcity

JFH: 1.25 points per game.

IH: 1.00 points per game.

Jimmy's statistic is now frozen in time, while Olly can improve his, or maintain it, or get worse. It's up to him.

And btw, JFH had three wins in his last twelve: Bristol, Fulham and Wigan. You'd do better to say 2 wins in the last eleven, then you can eclipse an entire, very successful Championship August for JFH, with three wins out of 5.

being pedantic, it's 12 if you count the Sunderland game
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:37 - Jan 10 with 817 viewsTacticalR

On the JFH/Holloway comparison, doesn't a lot depend on whether that awful run of six losses was a blip?

Air hostess clique

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:59 - Jan 10 with 787 viewsSimonJames

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 13:07 - Jan 10 by daveB

Or perhaps you could say "JFH just 6 points from a play off position, IH now slumped to 13 points off".

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 15:19 - Jan 10 with 761 viewsdaveB

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:59 - Jan 10 by SimonJames

Or perhaps you could say "JFH just 6 points from a play off position, IH now slumped to 13 points off".

You are right of course, everything was far better under Hasselbaink, we should go back to him
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:09 - Jan 10 with 719 viewsPinnerPaul

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:37 - Jan 10 by TacticalR

On the JFH/Holloway comparison, doesn't a lot depend on whether that awful run of six losses was a blip?

Do we get any points if we can classify it as a blip?!

Here's a scary thought - what if the Wolves & Ipswich games are the "blip"
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:13 - Jan 10 with 711 viewsPinnerPaul

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 15:19 - Jan 10 by daveB

You are right of course, everything was far better under Hasselbaink, we should go back to him

We're not saying that.

I remember you saying we shouldn't have sacked JFH, as I did.

We shouldn't sack IH either, but think we need to face up to the facts nonetheless.

Clearly IH doesn't have much faith in squad he took over "improving" as he is in the process of getting rid of a large chunk of them.

I DO agree we need to give our managers a fair go, but we don't and won't with IH either I suspect.
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:22 - Jan 10 with 690 viewsNorthernr

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:13 - Jan 10 by PinnerPaul

We're not saying that.

We shouldn't sack IH either, but think we need to face up to the facts nonetheless.

Clearly IH doesn't have much faith in squad he took over "improving" as he is in the process of getting rid of a large chunk of them.

I DO agree we need to give our managers a fair go, but we don't and won't with IH either I suspect.

Yeh, and it's the timing of these things that kill us so often. Unless we were actually, genuinely in relegation peril then give JFH to the end of the season and assess then. If you want to change there's nothing wrong with that, I didn't think too much to him, I found it boring, I thought his team selections were frustrating, I wouldn't want him back. But if you do it in May it gives a new man a full summer to do what Holloway is now trying to do mid season if that's what he decides is necessary.

We change far too often, and always slap bang in the middle of the winter, with fixtures piling up.
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:39 - Jan 10 with 662 viewsdaveB

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:13 - Jan 10 by PinnerPaul

We're not saying that.

I didn't think JFH should have been sacked, I'd have given him till the summer but he was and we need to make the most of it. I do think we are playing better football now, I've enjoyed going to games more than under JFH but It's obvious plenty on here disagree.

Managers don't get time at QPR though and it's not just down tot he owners, even a bloke we should be all getting behind has been slated on here, called a clown etc after just 2 months. I read several calls for him to go before Christmas. on here and spcial media. I don't understand it.
Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 18:02 - Jan 10 with 631 viewsSimonJames

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:39 - Jan 10 by daveB

I didn't think JFH should have been sacked, I'd have given him till the summer but he was and we need to make the most of it. I do think we are playing better football now, I've enjoyed going to games more than under JFH but It's obvious plenty on here disagree.

Managers don't get time at QPR though and it's not just down tot he owners, even a bloke we should be all getting behind has been slated on here, called a clown etc after just 2 months. I read several calls for him to go before Christmas. on here and spcial media. I don't understand it.

I think the state of this club is almost entirely down to the gross mismanagement and short-termism/populist-vote-seeking of the owners - primarily TF.

The fans will always be criticising the weakest member of the herd or the manager - that's just human nature (although we could do without the booing). But ultimately how have the present owners moved this club forward in the last 5½ years?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 18:14 - Jan 10 with 612 viewsPunteR

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 17:39 - Jan 10 by daveB

It is down to the owners.
Fans will always have their own opinion, so will the owners obviously but they have the final say and make the important decisions.
TF's decision making is atrocious.
I hope we stick with Holloway but i could bet on my house he wont be here this time next season. We never learn.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 20:17 - Jan 10 with 554 viewsisawqpratwcity

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 14:35 - Jan 10 by daveB

being pedantic, it's 12 if you count the Sunderland game

Being pedantic, if you count cup games, then Olly has three wins out of ten, not nine, as you claim.

I have clearly left Cup games out of this all along.

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 20:38 - Jan 10 with 524 viewsTacticalR

Holloway's Post-Match Comments on 20:17 - Jan 10 by isawqpratwcity

Being pedantic, if you count cup games, then Olly has three wins out of ten, not nine, as you claim.

I have clearly left Cup games out of this all along.

Everybody knows Cup games don't count.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024