Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints sign Aribo 18:39 - Jul 9 with 1655 viewsElijahK

So that’s another midfielder we’ve now signed! Really, the only position we’re desperate for now is a central striker. But another fullback, centre half and winger would also be great.
Certainly does seem like this could be one of our best transfer markets in a long time, and that us swapping owners may not have made much of a difference in January, but sure has now!

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-09/announcement-joe-aribo-southampton

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Saints sign Aribo on 19:18 - Jul 9 with 1566 viewsSaintsforeverj

Aribo is a good signing and a steal. He is 26, so has plenty of experience in football terms but still young. Played in every game for Rangers in Europe. He is a powerhouse in midfield, full of energy and aggressive. Rangers fans are upset to see him go, so always a good sign.

And yes, swapping owners seems to be bearing fruit. No more having to sell to buy and they are taking action quickly from the coaching staff to the playing staff. I agree though, we need a quality striker and some experience in defence. I would guess we will see a few more signings yet. We are still buying cheap in PL terms, so we will have to see if these young, cheaper players are good enough, but ultimately, the proof in the pudding will be on the pitch. We all hope the signings are great, gel well and we have a good season. We shall see.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 19:23]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Saints sign Aribo on 19:55 - Jul 9 with 1478 views1885_SFC

It goes without saying that I hope he turns out to be a good signing. I do wonder why however, being the cynic that I am, that Gerrard didn't sign him for Villa - if he's PL quality? After all, Gerrard was the manager at Rangers until a short while ago & will know more about him than anyone else.

Just a (cynical) thought...

Old School is Cool

Saints sign Aribo on 20:48 - Jul 9 with 1373 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://mobile.twitter.com/saints_analysis/status/1545844686195236867?ref_src=tw

Saints splashing the cash. Hopefully no sales to come of key players.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 20:49]

Saints sign Aribo on 20:54 - Jul 9 with 1357 viewsButty101

Saints sign Aribo on 19:55 - Jul 9 by 1885_SFC

It goes without saying that I hope he turns out to be a good signing. I do wonder why however, being the cynic that I am, that Gerrard didn't sign him for Villa - if he's PL quality? After all, Gerrard was the manager at Rangers until a short while ago & will know more about him than anyone else.

I honestly think we are in trouble with what we are buying. To much young unproven talent and the money we are spending won’t be buying premiership quality

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints sign Aribo on 21:02 - Jul 9 with 1344 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints sign Aribo on 20:54 - Jul 9 by Butty101

I honestly think we are in trouble with what we are buying. To much young unproven talent and the money we are spending won’t be buying premiership quality

You could be right but we hope these young players are Livramentos and Brojas. I can see the theory / plan of young, passionate, energetic young players working hard on the pitch. Aribo is a good player. I have seen him against top teams in Europe, scoring goals and holding his own. As for the young guys, we don't know. We still definitely need a proven striker and defender. The signing we have made so far, will look good if we also add a goal scorer. If we don't score enough goals we will struggle and we don't currently have anything up front good enough.

Saints sign Aribo on 21:13 - Jul 9 with 1318 viewsElijahK

Ok but when we look at the recent players we’ve signed with lots of experience, Walcott clearly shows that they’re not always great. And even then, look at how Everton have turned out recently with signing loads of older experienced players, as we’ve finished above the, 2 of the last 3 seasons. Whilst for younger players, all our best recent signings have been young, KWP, Livermento, Broja etc, all of which certainly were worth it.
As I do agree that we need a mix, but really you just need 1 experienced player for each area, and in midfield we’ve got Prowse or Romeu, but at the back and up front we don’t, which is what we do need, but that’s just 2 signings and it’s solved. And we’re pretty certain to sign at least 1/2 more players with us desperately needing at least one more up front and preferably another centre half and fullback.

Saints sign Aribo on 21:14 - Jul 9 with 1313 viewsButty101

Saints sign Aribo on 21:02 - Jul 9 by Saintsforeverj

You could be right but we hope these young players are Livramentos and Brojas. I can see the theory / plan of young, passionate, energetic young players working hard on the pitch. Aribo is a good player. I have seen him against top teams in Europe, scoring goals and holding his own. As for the young guys, we don't know. We still definitely need a proven striker and defender. The signing we have made so far, will look good if we also add a goal scorer. If we don't score enough goals we will struggle and we don't currently have anything up front good enough.

Out of the 5 signings which do you think Will be starting the first game of the season? I would bet none. Which means we are weaker than last season with Forster and Borja gone.

My guess for starting 11
McCarthy
Kwp
Perraud
Bednarek or stephens
Salisu
Jwp
Romeu
S Armstrong
Redmond
A Armstrong
Adams
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 21:22]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints sign Aribo on 21:20 - Jul 9 with 1293 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints sign Aribo on 21:14 - Jul 9 by Butty101

Out of the 5 signings which do you think Will be starting the first game of the season? I would bet none. Which means we are weaker than last season with Forster and Borja gone.

My guess for starting 11
McCarthy
Kwp
Perraud
Bednarek or stephens
Salisu
Jwp
Romeu
S Armstrong
Redmond
A Armstrong
Adams
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 21:22]

Aribo will start I would think. He has just played in the European cup final and every game for Rangers last season. I expect Bella whatever his name is will play in defence and probably Lavia will start being introduced from the bench like Broja was last year. No idea if Bazunu will start in goal. That is no good though, unless we sign a proper goal scorer. We will struggle if we don't score enough goals. That is key I would say.

Login to get fewer ads

Saints sign Aribo on 21:47 - Jul 9 with 1258 viewsPatfromPoole

Have to admit, I thought exactly the same.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Saints sign Aribo on 22:37 - Jul 9 with 1187 viewsBerber

And me, RH has always harped on about players needing time to adjust to the PL, then he introduces them nearly a season later. Everyone was stunned by Livramento, so clearly not anticipated, but a lovely surprise. But probably unlikely to happen season after season.
Saints sign Aribo on 22:41 - Jul 9 with 1182 viewsElijahK

Could be due to the fact that they didn’t need his position at Villa though, as they could’ve easily been overwhelmed in that position, so why would he sign him then?
But also Villa are the sort of team right now who can sign some big name players like Courtinho, who will almost certainly be better than Aribo, it’s just we can’t get in Courtinho as we don’t have the funding to do so, so we have to get worse players, and therefore go for the lower quality/smaller named ones, which Aribo may be one of the best for.
As we’ve gotta take what we can get, and if Abriams is one for the future then let’s hope that future is a bright one

Saints sign Aribo on 06:59 - Jul 10 with 1017 viewsinthebox

We needed a tall strong attacking midfielder, so welcome to Saints Joe. Looks like Saints are going for hungry players determined to prove themselves should be interesting.
Saints sign Aribo on 12:27 - Jul 10 with 851 viewsdarthvader

Quality signing

keep the faith coyr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024