Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Ball 22:05 - Aug 30 with 14451 viewsmeeee

What’s up with this guy? A few weeks ago he scores and stands in front of the Sandy with his finger in his ears staring at the fans. Tonight he scores and doesn’t celebrate but stares right at the fans again. He gets subbed off and doesn’t clap the fans, and then when the players came over at the full time whistle after the team talk on the pitch he’s behind all the other players shoulders slumped and sulking
James Ball on 09:30 - Aug 31 with 3772 viewsDaleiLama

James Ball on 09:23 - Aug 31 by ColDale

Support works both ways.

He's not had the best start to the season - a lot of that is down to playing in the wrong position both individually and as a team. He showed last season that his strengths are more of an attacking threat than defending. Goal and an assist last night playing in positions he's been nowhere near since he first joined us.

I've no doubt he's been frustrated at the season and sensitive to a lot of the comments that have been made, often revolving around social media posts (I remember Hendo coming off social media a few years back for similar reasons) that have no relevance in the grand scheme of things.

Yes he shouldn't have done it and he should have acknowledged those fans staying back to applaud him and his team mates but lets not ostracise someone at a time when we really do need everyone pulling in the same direction.

Couldn't agree more.

26 year olds make mistakes. Judge him on what he does next, not what he's done. A thread on here dedicated to him will get back to the corridors of power one way or another and words will be had. The benefit of the doubt has to be the way forward here unless things start to go south.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

James Ball on 09:45 - Aug 31 with 3698 viewsD_Alien

James Ball on 09:23 - Aug 31 by ColDale

Support works both ways.

He's not had the best start to the season - a lot of that is down to playing in the wrong position both individually and as a team. He showed last season that his strengths are more of an attacking threat than defending. Goal and an assist last night playing in positions he's been nowhere near since he first joined us.

I've no doubt he's been frustrated at the season and sensitive to a lot of the comments that have been made, often revolving around social media posts (I remember Hendo coming off social media a few years back for similar reasons) that have no relevance in the grand scheme of things.

Yes he shouldn't have done it and he should have acknowledged those fans staying back to applaud him and his team mates but lets not ostracise someone at a time when we really do need everyone pulling in the same direction.

Spot on, and this is where we should draw the line

JB has got a transfer window to deal with, and although i"m pretty sure he'll have some kind of awareness of what's happening online, he'll be looking to use Ball's obviously 'up-front' temperament the right way. It can be an asset

Whatever's happened with a few disgruntled fans needs to stop right now. That's down to Ball too, but leave the lad to get on with his game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

James Ball on 10:22 - Aug 31 with 3530 viewskel

Was a bit harsh of me to call him a bellend in hindsight, so I apologise for that. I just think any division between fans and players in our fresh start (new manager, legal issue sorted) helps nobody. Let’s crack on and work together towards the common goal of survival.
James Ball on 11:02 - Aug 31 with 3415 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

James Ball on 00:04 - Aug 31 by judd

Sadly there is one post that claims he told fans to fook off.

If this is verified then he needs to know it will only end one way.

If fans gave him reason to say what he did, then they aren't fans. All players need to be got behind not just favourites. I'm not condoning it, if it is at all true, but I'd believe a player rather than some of the so called fans that we seem to have attracted.
James Ball on 11:17 - Aug 31 with 3342 viewsjudd

James Ball on 11:02 - Aug 31 by RooleyMoorBlue

If fans gave him reason to say what he did, then they aren't fans. All players need to be got behind not just favourites. I'm not condoning it, if it is at all true, but I'd believe a player rather than some of the so called fans that we seem to have attracted.

On the basis that only one fan has mentioned it I think it's fair to say it didn't happen.

At the Grimsby game recently an elderly fan labelled a player a vvanker within earshot of the player. He was immediately shouted down.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 13:25]

Poll: What is it to be then?

James Ball on 12:23 - Aug 31 with 3124 viewselectricblue

Watching the highlights and the stance from Ball after he scored was a case of being arrogant and I'm the man.....
Nothing wrong at all with that and he can do it as many times he likes if and when he scores.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

James Ball on 12:25 - Aug 31 with 3100 viewsChaffRAFC

James Ball on 12:23 - Aug 31 by electricblue

Watching the highlights and the stance from Ball after he scored was a case of being arrogant and I'm the man.....
Nothing wrong at all with that and he can do it as many times he likes if and when he scores.......

Watching from the crowd, it didn't come across that way at all. Very bizarre and not first, or even second incident like this from him.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

James Ball on 12:40 - Aug 31 with 3021 viewsAtThePeake

James Ball on 11:17 - Aug 31 by judd

On the basis that only one fan has mentioned it I think it's fair to say it didn't happen.

At the Grimsby game recently an elderly fan labelled a player a vvanker within earshot of the player. He was immediately shouted down.

It's probably a good thing that he isn't visible on the highlights after Henderson's goal.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

James Ball on 13:00 - Aug 31 with 2917 viewsIgnatius_Sancho

James Ball on 12:23 - Aug 31 by electricblue

If he's scored, he can do what he wants. Somersaults, handstands or what the bloody hell he likes. Couldn't care what he does.

Cantona was famous for scoring and standing like a statue, motionless, hands on hips, awaiting the adulation. That was his style. Don't remember much criticism for him.
James Ball on 13:03 - Aug 31 with 2897 viewsNewbury_Dale

"I’ve just seen Liam Kelly run. What a time to be alive".

Just saw that on Twitter. I assume the poster is also active on here, as are those that liked it.

At the end of the day, if fans are making comments like this, then I don't think they can be offended when players don't warm to them. This is just an example. Some people just can't help themselves.
James Ball on 13:15 - Aug 31 with 2857 viewsjonahwhereru

Twitter means nowt to me. However even on here there are a number of amateur behavioural analysts. We had similar with O’Connell last year, there were numerous criticisms of his attitude and behaviour. None of which I understood.
With Ball we represent probably his last shot at making it at EFL level. That could bring it’s own pressures, but none of us know for sure. The Shan relationship will not have him feeling any more secure. My suggestion would be to stop dissecting his words and deeds and just let him find his way post Shan.
JB has been around the man management block forever, leave it to him to sort it out if indeed that is required.
James Ball on 13:15 - Aug 31 with 2852 viewskel

James Ball on 13:03 - Aug 31 by Newbury_Dale

Just saw that on Twitter. I assume the poster is also active on here, as are those that liked it.

At the end of the day, if fans are making comments like this, then I don't think they can be offended when players don't warm to them. This is just an example. Some people just can't help themselves.

That was me, as I very much suspect you know. It was extremely tongue in cheek as was probably realised by the people that ‘liked’ it.
James Ball on 13:25 - Aug 31 with 2816 viewsjudd

James Ball on 13:15 - Aug 31 by kel

That was me, as I very much suspect you know. It was extremely tongue in cheek as was probably realised by the people that ‘liked’ it.

I actually took it as two fingers to Liam Kelly's detractors.

Poll: What is it to be then?

James Ball on 13:26 - Aug 31 with 2805 viewskel

James Ball on 13:25 - Aug 31 by judd

Don’t confuse things for the hard of thinking.

Thanks fella.
James Ball on 13:30 - Aug 31 with 2787 viewsDalenet

James Ball on 11:17 - Aug 31 by judd

Jeepers we are better than that. What gives fans the right to shout that at one of our own players. I despair sometimes
James Ball on 13:30 - Aug 31 with 2784 views442Dale

Not sure what Ball’s issue would be with constructive criticism of his performances before last night. He’s been way off the pace and it’s up to him to prove people wrong with how he plays, like last night.

Anything that happens during games is always pointless because it’s impossible to get the message to any individual and those who support will also be impacted unnecessarily.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

James Ball on 13:37 - Aug 31 with 2751 viewsfitzochris

James Ball on 13:25 - Aug 31 by judd

That's how I took it as well.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

James Ball on 14:49 - Aug 31 with 2548 viewsD_Alien

James Ball on 13:15 - Aug 31 by kel

Must admit, when i read Newbury's post, i didn't read it as tongue in cheek. I liked Newbury's post

(Another reason i should stay away from twitter)

I can fully accept it was meant as tic, now i've read further on... but therein lies the problem

A player reading something like that may well simply take it at face value, not understanding the wider context

Edit: i've posted criticism on here about Kelly, but only because i don't think he's the right fit for Dale's midfield. I'd hope he could take that on the chin

[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 14:55]

James Ball on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 2518 viewskel

James Ball on 14:49 - Aug 31 by D_Alien

Must admit, when i read Newbury's post, i didn't read it as tongue in cheek. I liked Newbury's post

(Another reason i should stay away from twitter)

I can fully accept it was meant as tic, now i've read further on... but therein lies the problem

A player reading something like that may well simply take it at face value, not understanding the wider context

Edit: i've posted criticism on here about Kelly, but only because i don't think he's the right fit for Dale's midfield. I'd hope he could take that on the chin

[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 14:55]

Very much sarcasm on my part. Comments on the internet are often misread so I’d hope most saw that but I get your point. I was actually impressed with his work rate last night compared to previous performances so I hope he keeps it up. If he does we’ve a great player on our hands.
James Ball on 16:27 - Aug 31 with 2300 viewsAtThePeake

James Ball on 13:03 - Aug 31 by Newbury_Dale

Even forgetting for a moment the reasoning for Kel's specific tweet, is the point not that even if 1, 2 or even 50 people are tweeting criticism of Ball, then that still leaves 300+ Dale supporters who were in the ground last night who haven't been doing that?

He'd do well to understand that most constructive criticism is fair and to expected as a footballer and that hyperbolic and offensive criticism is rare and worth ignoring. The vast majority will be behind him and his team-mates if they give their all every week, so there's no point acting like a petulant child towards the whole away end because of the comments of a few people on Twitter.

Tangled up in blue.

James Ball on 20:28 - Aug 31 with 2016 viewsShun

James Ball on 13:30 - Aug 31 by 442Dale

Not sure what Ball’s issue would be with constructive criticism of his performances before last night. He’s been way off the pace and it’s up to him to prove people wrong with how he plays, like last night.

Anything that happens during games is always pointless because it’s impossible to get the message to any individual and those who support will also be impacted unnecessarily.

I would hope that Ball would be mature enough to deal with constructive criticism. However, a lot of it has gone way beyond that. Some of the puerile stuff on Twitter was OTT and uncalled for. Calling him the worst player to ever play for Dale, for example, is ludicrous and silly. All for a player who was a fan’s favourite last season, yet because of a poor few games he’s being castigated. Not to mention he and his partner are clearly aware of posts like that.
James Ball on 20:34 - Aug 31 with 1994 views442Dale

James Ball on 20:28 - Aug 31 by Shun

I would hope that Ball would be mature enough to deal with constructive criticism. However, a lot of it has gone way beyond that. Some of the puerile stuff on Twitter was OTT and uncalled for. Calling him the worst player to ever play for Dale, for example, is ludicrous and silly. All for a player who was a fan’s favourite last season, yet because of a poor few games he’s being castigated. Not to mention he and his partner are clearly aware of posts like that.

Not excusing the ridiculous nature of some posts on social media, but that happens everywhere unfortunately (not that it’s an excuse). It still makes no sense to respond to an away end which will contain many fans wondering what was going on.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

James Ball on 20:37 - Aug 31 with 1976 viewsD_Alien

James Ball on 20:28 - Aug 31 by Shun

Has there been much of a pushback from more sensible Daleys on Twitter? The only way he'll know it's a trashy minority is if there's some of that too

James Ball on 00:24 - Sep 1 with 1651 viewsShun

James Ball on 20:37 - Aug 31 by D_Alien

Has there been much of a pushback from more sensible Daleys on Twitter? The only way he'll know it's a trashy minority is if there's some of that too

I’m not sure actually, I tend to scroll past when I see rubbish like that!
James Ball on 09:04 - Sep 1 with 1375 viewsD_Alien

James Ball on 00:24 - Sep 1 by Shun

I’m not sure actually, I tend to scroll past when I see rubbish like that!

Fair enough

If i knew the ins and outs of Twitter, i'd do it myself, but i honestly think a message or two of support should be posted; also pointing out that we have morons (like every other club) but they're in a minority, and wishing Ball every success at Dale

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024