Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back 20:40 - Aug 31 with 6091 viewsDALEYCADDERS

Todays game would be best described as a game of two halves. In the first half neither team looked particularly threatening with Henderson's long range effort the closest Dale came to a goal. Oxfords opener was scrappy, (although the build up play leading too it was impressive) Constable blasting in the rebound from Lillis' good save, at this point the we (the dale fans) were fearing the worst. The first half continued in a similar fashion after the goal, Rochdale just edging it possession wise but the tempo was slow, the passing was ponderous and there was a complete lack of width. As me my Dad and my Cousin were talking at half time we all agreed that the main problem was a defensive team selection. With BBM playing (not that i dislike him) we always seem to play abit too negatively but the major weak link in the team was Bennett. As the second half kicked off at first not much seemed to have changed, that is until Rhys Bennett, in my opinion the worst performer in the first half, made a great run down the right and dug out a great cross for the classy Matty Lund to head in. From that moment on the game totally changed. Dale looked a completely different team with Lund pulling the strings in midfield and Hogan, who overall had a quiet game, was looking very threatening. Shorty after though Lund was taken off for young midfielder Bastien Hery. A decision which at the time seemed a bad one as Lund was playing really well but having not seen Hery I didn't know how talented he was. Dale continued to dominate with oxford having a few chances on the break forcing Lillis into a Brilliant double save. As much as Dale continued to press they couldn't find a winner but all in all it was a happy journey back. I think in conclusion Dale just about deserved the 3 points but it was to be, a draw at oxford and a good performance seems like a reason to be positive.
Player Ratings:
Josh Lillis: 8 Couldn't do much about the goal, was solid and made two great saves late on.
Rhys Bennett: 7 Poor first half but really made up for it in the second with a great assist and all round positive play.
Oliver Lancashire: 7 solid without being particularly noticeable.
Jack O'Connell: 7 same as Lancashire.
Michael Rose: 6 Not up to his usual high standards of crossing.
BBM: 7 Although too defensive minded that seems to be his job and made some good passes at times.
Matty Lund (MOTM): 8 Wasn't great in the first half but dictated play and scored a good goal before being subbed off.
Peter Vincenti: 7 Doesn't have a great touch but gets about the pitch well and did some good link up play in the second half.
Ian Henderson: 7 You couldn't knock him for effort but today things weren't really going his way although he improved second half.
Scott Hogan: 7 Has bags of paces and is a good dribbler but never quite got into the game today, some good runs at times.
George Donnelly: 6 He worked really hard for the team as he always does and held up the ball well on occasion but needs to be more of a goal threat.
Subs:
Hery: 8 Really impressed by him today would have been my MOTM if he was on for longer showed great dribbling, a really good touch direct, a huge threat.
Done wasn't on long enough to judge.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2013 20:43]
Just got back on 20:47 - Aug 31 with 6066 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Good man Cadz........thanks for the update.

You did however miss "for what it's worth" after Player Ratings.

Sort it out lad!
Just got back on 21:15 - Aug 31 with 5984 viewsColDale

Thought second half today, there looked a gulf in class between the two teams. They were the worst team we've played this season, and Dave Kitson looked like he was stealing a wage throughout. If this is what they are to expect from him this season, then its a twelve month retirement fund that they've signed him on.

Lund was our class player today and he seems to be improving game by game. He ran the show in midfield, and I think Hill will make a real star of him. They all played well but George and Done were perhaps the disappointment. Hery looks like by after Xmas he could be a real sensation, There's bags of talent there, and maybe he might not be ready for 90 minutes yet.

Not sure why it's taking half time for us to fully wake up, but it certainly felt like it was two points dropped for us. We'll finish above them this season.

Oxford supporters seemed like they''d been to the John Coleman school of fair play. Never known a set of fans howl like they did today. The ref had an excellent game, but you'd think he had a mare based on their reactions.
Just got back on 21:23 - Aug 31 with 5946 views442Dale

Just got back on 21:15 - Aug 31 by ColDale

Thought second half today, there looked a gulf in class between the two teams. They were the worst team we've played this season, and Dave Kitson looked like he was stealing a wage throughout. If this is what they are to expect from him this season, then its a twelve month retirement fund that they've signed him on.

Lund was our class player today and he seems to be improving game by game. He ran the show in midfield, and I think Hill will make a real star of him. They all played well but George and Done were perhaps the disappointment. Hery looks like by after Xmas he could be a real sensation, There's bags of talent there, and maybe he might not be ready for 90 minutes yet.

Not sure why it's taking half time for us to fully wake up, but it certainly felt like it was two points dropped for us. We'll finish above them this season.

Oxford supporters seemed like they''d been to the John Coleman school of fair play. Never known a set of fans howl like they did today. The ref had an excellent game, but you'd think he had a mare based on their reactions.

That Kitson signing looked an accident waiting to happen.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just got back on 21:27 - Aug 31 with 5939 viewsmacro

Unfair on Done really as he was only on the pitch for 10

As for gorgeous though, I was amazed he wasn't taken off
Just got back on 21:38 - Aug 31 with 5898 viewsRalphs12

Just got back on 21:27 - Aug 31 by macro

Unfair on Done really as he was only on the pitch for 10

As for gorgeous though, I was amazed he wasn't taken off

GD looked knackered in the end, probably the lack of training catching up with him.

Vincenti looked to tire late on also, but thought he was better in the centre than he is out wide as he didn't have to beat a man and the odd occasions when he did drive forward he did alright.

Hery, really impressed me - first time I've seen him. Likes to beat a man and by the looks of it likes to drive at defences, could be a good player for us long term. Exciting prospect. Would have liked to see him and Lund together later on when instead he replaced Lund.

Done if he was a few inches taller we could have snatched the win, great cross from Bennett such a shame he couldn't quite get on the end of it. Think he is just missing confidence/game time. Goal could make all the difference.

Nice to see all the players applauding the fans at the end always annoyed me when they didn't do that for whatever reason, costs nothing and means a lot. (to me anyway)

Would have taken the draw before the game.
Just got back on 21:40 - Aug 31 with 5888 views442Dale

Just got back on 21:38 - Aug 31 by Ralphs12

GD looked knackered in the end, probably the lack of training catching up with him.

Vincenti looked to tire late on also, but thought he was better in the centre than he is out wide as he didn't have to beat a man and the odd occasions when he did drive forward he did alright.

Hery, really impressed me - first time I've seen him. Likes to beat a man and by the looks of it likes to drive at defences, could be a good player for us long term. Exciting prospect. Would have liked to see him and Lund together later on when instead he replaced Lund.

Done if he was a few inches taller we could have snatched the win, great cross from Bennett such a shame he couldn't quite get on the end of it. Think he is just missing confidence/game time. Goal could make all the difference.

Nice to see all the players applauding the fans at the end always annoyed me when they didn't do that for whatever reason, costs nothing and means a lot. (to me anyway)

Would have taken the draw before the game.

Vincenti played centrally at some stage?

Just got back on 21:45 - Aug 31 with 5863 viewsRalphs12

Just got back on 21:40 - Aug 31 by 442Dale

Vincenti played centrally at some stage?

Im not great with formations but it looked to me like BBM sitting and Vincenti and Lund centrally with Hendo GD and Hogan 4 3 3
Just got back on 21:46 - Aug 31 with 5858 viewsSandyman

Thanks for the reports - they look honest and positive

A most welcome point today, as it was against t'other favoured team in the division v Chesterfield. Next Saturday should be interesting to see how far we have come, against the biggest, richest most succesful, best furnitured almost non-existent team in the World.
Login to get fewer ads

Just got back on 21:46 - Aug 31 with 5857 views442Dale

Just got back on 21:45 - Aug 31 by Ralphs12

Im not great with formations but it looked to me like BBM sitting and Vincenti and Lund centrally with Hendo GD and Hogan 4 3 3

Cheers for that. An away formation maybe.

Just got back on 21:53 - Aug 31 with 5826 viewsRalphs12

Just got back on 21:46 - Aug 31 by 442Dale

Cheers for that. An away formation maybe.

From what Hill said on Dale player it is just that. Cav to come in and replace BBM. Think with time that formation will work well away from home. Should allow Lund a lot more freedom and Vincenti isn't required to beat a man and whip a cross in everytime he gets the ball which to me isn't his game.

Lund second half was spreading the play brilliantly at times, bringing the full backs higher up and exploiting there defence. Something that Hery continued.

Oh, and Chaff if Lund isn't the best slide tackler in the history of football manager I am going to be very dissapointed, dont think I've seen him miss time one yet. (que the sending off vs bury)
Just got back on 22:23 - Aug 31 with 5752 viewsShun

Just got back on 21:15 - Aug 31 by ColDale

I think you're being harsh on Oxford. They impressed me and were streets ahead of Hartlepool and Burton but behind Chesterfield (I didn't see Plymouth). And regarding their fans, true, they moaned a lot, but today was, I think, my first ever experience of a Dale away contingent being outsung by the home fans. Well done to them, I say.

Saying that, we played well today. Lund gets better and better, and Hery (please, everyone, can we all agree to just stop pronouncing the H?) looks like he has feet full of class. I can't wait to see more of him.
Just got back on 22:50 - Aug 31 with 5686 viewsMass_Debater

Just got back on 22:23 - Aug 31 by Shun

I think you're being harsh on Oxford. They impressed me and were streets ahead of Hartlepool and Burton but behind Chesterfield (I didn't see Plymouth). And regarding their fans, true, they moaned a lot, but today was, I think, my first ever experience of a Dale away contingent being outsung by the home fans. Well done to them, I say.

Saying that, we played well today. Lund gets better and better, and Hery (please, everyone, can we all agree to just stop pronouncing the H?) looks like he has feet full of class. I can't wait to see more of him.

Oxford were dreadful and nowhere near their top of the league status.

I must have missed the cacophony of noise from their fans.
Just got back on 23:32 - Aug 31 with 5622 viewsD_Alien

First away game since the Bradford FA Cup defeat - and what a difference a couple of years makes!

Enjoyed a well-fought and at times skilful encounter, with Oxford dominating for long periods until we scored; as others have said, we then bossed the game until late on after which both sides had chances to snatch the points but one-apiece was a fair result in the end.

Noticed that Lund looked like he'd taken a knock before being subbed, but when Hery was introduced he brought something to the Dale midfield that I've not seen for some time, even in our best seasons under KH - the lad can just grab the ball, run and beat a man. Like a black Jason Peake maybe, but with greater pace!

Anyroads, our first away point rounded off a great couple of days (stayed overnight in Oxford) and we looked every bit a team who will go from strength to strength.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just got back on 00:02 - Sep 1 with 5562 viewsShun

Just got back on 22:50 - Aug 31 by Mass_Debater

They weren't anywhere even approaching dreadful. I didn't go to Plymouth, but I've only seen one side better than them so far this year.

And, yes, evidently.
Just got back on 00:49 - Sep 1 with 5503 viewswmgunit

Just got back on 22:50 - Aug 31 by Mass_Debater

Thought Oxford were a pretty good side but took the sledgehammer approach. Nothing fancy but effective. They were a moaning, dirty, diving and cynical team though. surrounding the referee and one of them took a swipe at Vincenti, which while soft deserved a red card by the rule book. Would have killed me if we'd lost to such a side when we were playing the 'right' kind of football dare I say. Thought exactly the same thing regarding the similarities to a coleman side.

We've some really techinically adept players who were just getting muscled off he ball first half. The goal we conceded was a result of standing off and giving them too much time in the build up.

Second half our passing game became a little more incisive as we started to get the ball out wide. Henderson drifted to the wing more and Bennett pushed forward. The first time Bennett whipped a cross in we got a goal and he nearly created another for Matty Done in the final minutes.

Nonetheless, thoughout the game most of oxford's best chances resulted fom misplaced passes and mistakes which were of our own doing. All of the back four were guilty of this and bbm too. It's something which needs cutting out. Hopefully as he defence gel as a unit this will be resolved.

The game passed by Donnelly today. It underlined the need for a goal scorer when on several occasions we got the ball in the box and he was nowhere to be seen.

Overall, a solid point. Oxford will be a brutally efficient team this year.

Lillis - 7 - some great shot stopping and claimed a few crosses authoritively. Not at fault for the the goal.

Rose - 5 - Some poor distribution and dwelling on the ball.

O'connell - 7 - Solid.

Lancashire - 6 - looked nervy at times and gave the ball away sloppily in dangerous positions but also cleared one off the line.

Bennett - 8 - Huge threat down the wing in the second half. Set up a goal and created out other best chance. Solid defensively too apart from one slack pass. Great to have him back in the side. Made the position his own in one game

Lund - 8 - bagged a goal and set the tempo of the game.

Vincenti - 7 - did a job. Lovely dink over the Oxford defence created a good chance.

BBM - 5 - several slack passes. Bring back Cav.

Henderson - 7.5 - muscled off the ball often, but great technique. A joy to watch, hit the bar and improved when he drifted out wide second half.

Hogan - 6.5 - out of the game too often but looked dangerous when the midfield managed to involve him. Worked hard.

Donnelly - 5.5 - game passed him by. Held up the ball ok, but again showed a lack of anticipation when others were creating chances for him.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2013 10:43]
Just got back on 08:21 - Sep 1 with 5366 viewsTalkingSutty

Some of the Oxford supporters picked out Vincenti as our star man, one suggested most of our play went through him.

I think Vincenti is one of those players who sometimes doesnt really stand out in a game but is somehow one of the teams most vital component, if you know what i mean.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Just got back on 09:24 - Sep 1 with 5267 viewsmikehunt

The Oxford supporter I spoke to said they felt lucky to get a point and that we were brilliant . He cited Donnelly as being our outstanding player. Hmm.
My opinion on the game: first half was odd almost as if we were playing with fear ( not a Keefy trait) by which I mean we were cautious and seemingly intent not to give anything away but this was letting them push on to us and causing all our mis-placed passes and the like.
Second half and Bennett exploded into life. I have always rated this guy and I think he has marked his return with that performance; commanding and skillful. Two perfect crosses from the bye line ,delivered by beating men down the right flank. If Done had let his hair grow a bit we'd have won.
Oxford were no mugs and quite easily caused us problems when they got the ball but our defence coped really well with their threats. I remember a sliding tackle in the box when one of their lads had got himself ready to shoot that was just awesome (Don't know who our player was though)
Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, we are powderpuff in front of goal. We got into threatening positions then doubled back on ourselves and passed to each other until the attack fizzled out. Once we find someone who can shoot (and is not afraid to) we will have a side to be reckoned with. A very good point from a game that really could have gone either way despite our second half dominance.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Just got back on 09:26 - Sep 1 with 5262 viewsColDale

Just got back on 22:23 - Aug 31 by Shun

There's something horribly artificial about their support. I know its probably my age, but any groups of supporters who call themselves ultras and have designed posters and banners behind them always seem like they've been put together on facebook. "Tomorrow we ride at dawn" what was all that about?
Just got back on 10:36 - Sep 1 with 5150 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Just got back on 09:26 - Sep 1 by ColDale

There's something horribly artificial about their support. I know its probably my age, but any groups of supporters who call themselves ultras and have designed posters and banners behind them always seem like they've been put together on facebook. "Tomorrow we ride at dawn" what was all that about?

"Tomorrow we ride at dawn"

Arrghh, that's the Oxford United Prog Rock Contingent. They're a great set of lads. Their end of season do was a triumph. They hired Oxford Ice Rink and skated around dressed as the Oxford Wizards - torso length white hair, medieval clobber, silver body paint and face-masks of Oxford greats from yesteryear such as John Aldridge, Ray Houghton and erm.........Anyway, in the seats was Rick Sleepman - the unofficial Rick Wakeman tribute act - who is just as good for a 134th of the price, 88th of the price on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Rick played swirling and very dramatic organ music whilst the Oxford Wizards performed a promotion skating ritual which involved the slaying of a Wrexham dragon (one of the Oxford Wizard's roofers, Tony) with a crape paper spear. There was much discussion afterwards as to the using of an alternatively made spear next season as the ice rendered the crape paper more porridge-like than spear-like. In the end, they were practically smearing the Ready-Break spear onto the dragon which, whilst not detracting from the overall theme, didn't really have the desired affect. Also, Tony was going ballistic as to the dry cleaning cost of his dragon outfit. Any tips Dezee?

Anyway, the whole thing was marvellous and, I'll be honest, made Sweetmore's playing of 1990s Madchester music, and yet more playing of 1990s Madchester music, look vvank in comparison.

I agree with the Ultras thing though. Something very sanitary towel about the whole thing.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2013 10:44]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Just got back on 10:45 - Sep 1 with 5121 viewswmgunit

Comical that they sit on the far right in the stadium too. You can't write material that good.
Just got back on 10:57 - Sep 1 with 5090 viewsjimmysbaldhead

Oxford Ultras on the way to the game

Just got back on 12:29 - Sep 1 with 4977 viewsTalkingSutty

Just got back on 09:24 - Sep 1 by mikehunt

The Oxford supporter I spoke to said they felt lucky to get a point and that we were brilliant . He cited Donnelly as being our outstanding player. Hmm.
My opinion on the game: first half was odd almost as if we were playing with fear ( not a Keefy trait) by which I mean we were cautious and seemingly intent not to give anything away but this was letting them push on to us and causing all our mis-placed passes and the like.
Second half and Bennett exploded into life. I have always rated this guy and I think he has marked his return with that performance; commanding and skillful. Two perfect crosses from the bye line ,delivered by beating men down the right flank. If Done had let his hair grow a bit we'd have won.
Oxford were no mugs and quite easily caused us problems when they got the ball but our defence coped really well with their threats. I remember a sliding tackle in the box when one of their lads had got himself ready to shoot that was just awesome (Don't know who our player was though)
Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, we are powderpuff in front of goal. We got into threatening positions then doubled back on ourselves and passed to each other until the attack fizzled out. Once we find someone who can shoot (and is not afraid to) we will have a side to be reckoned with. A very good point from a game that really could have gone either way despite our second half dominance.

I dont know what to make about Hillys little rant about the "slow start" question during his interview (It was a valid question i thought).

I have interpereted it as Hilly letting the opposition have periods of play and that being all part of his tactics. I dont understand that way of thinking because i always thought imposing our own game on the opposition and seizing the initiative was the way forward.

The Hilly teams of old used to come out of the blocks and get straight into the opposition and play at a high tempo, it often resulted in early goals. Only upping our tempo and game for second half displays seems a strange one but Hilly knows best.

The proof will be in the pudding, but lets not wait until we go a goal behind before we come out of our shell, we are better than that..
Just got back on 13:01 - Sep 1 with 4931 viewsTVOS1907

Just got back on 12:29 - Sep 1 by TalkingSutty

I dont know what to make about Hillys little rant about the "slow start" question during his interview (It was a valid question i thought).

I have interpereted it as Hilly letting the opposition have periods of play and that being all part of his tactics. I dont understand that way of thinking because i always thought imposing our own game on the opposition and seizing the initiative was the way forward.

The Hilly teams of old used to come out of the blocks and get straight into the opposition and play at a high tempo, it often resulted in early goals. Only upping our tempo and game for second half displays seems a strange one but Hilly knows best.

The proof will be in the pudding, but lets not wait until we go a goal behind before we come out of our shell, we are better than that..

I don't think, at this moment in time, we've got the players to come out of the blocks in that way.

Our build up is still very slow and deliberate, although the tempo did pick up as the game progressed.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just got back on 13:25 - Sep 1 with 4891 viewsYouTubeDale

Hill had the game all planned out in his opinion. We take the thunder out of the opposition, especially away from home, in the first half and then up our tempo in the second half to kill them off. Hill is educating us again. Will we all earn BA (Hons) in Football Strategies at the end of it ? Like he said ...he ain't no Taxi driver he IS The Football Manager and knows how to go about trying to win a game, with each game being unique and requiring a taylor made strategy.
I am still backing our manager over the course of 46 games and enjoying the cut and thrust of it.
Who is the person playing the dating game with him ? He usually pulls rabbits out of hats and I can't wait to see the next one.
Exciting days and they come no bigger than Saturday with bury fans being cock sure of themselves after their 4-1 victory yesterday.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Just got back on 14:19 - Sep 1 with 4829 viewsRalphs12

One thing that really annoys me about a lot of people that go to watch footy. When a team is keeping possession the crowd start to get on there back. Yesterday there was a period first half in which we played the ball around the back four and then out into midfield. Oxford didn't touch it for a good few minutes... Then came the shouts of get it forward!! We then lumped it forward and lost it... Then came the "F@;/ing awful dale" or words to that effect. I'd rather we kept it neat and tidy than keep lumping it forward often resulting in us being put under pressure due to losing possession.

I think this is somewhat what hill was having a mini rant about during his interview
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024