Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone still want VAR in the championship 23:13 - Sep 3 with 10978 viewsloftboy

Absolutely shocking decision at Chelscum today.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:50 - Sep 4 with 1954 viewsNorthernr

I'm intrigued by the Brighton one today. Last year there was a really, really marginal offside at Norwich, disallowed with all the lines drawn, and he angle they showed on the TV was from behind the corner flag, looking diagonally at it, not from the side looking across. I thought that a bit dodgy, and the decision was so tight anyway they should have just let it slide. No, no, no I was told, it doesn't matter where the camera is with the tech with the lines, and offside is binary, so you can't argue against it. Fine, ok, I'll shut up. Today at Brighton, they spent five minutes disallowing a goal, because they can't find an angle on which they can draw the lines. Sorry, what now?
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:42 - Sep 4 with 1843 viewstraininvain

I see our old friend Lee Mason was var official in the Man Utd vs Arsenal. Low and behold Arsenal have a perfectly good opener disallowed following var interference.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:57 - Sep 4 with 1820 viewsQPR_Hibs

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:19 - Sep 4 by Northernr

They've got to be doing it this badly deliberately in the hope it's ditched. I reckon they all hate it too.

Even when VAR is correct - like the disallowed Everton goal against Liverpool - it is ruining the excitement of the game. Yes it was a marginal decision, but it took so long to disallow it that, as a neutral spectator, I was kind of annoyed about it.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 20:47 - Sep 4 with 1743 viewsdenhamhoop2

Could go with Crickets way of dealing with the not quite sure decisions that what the official on the field called unless there is indisputable evidence they are wrong
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 21:05 - Sep 4 with 1706 viewsLongsufferingR

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 20:47 - Sep 4 by denhamhoop2

Could go with Crickets way of dealing with the not quite sure decisions that what the official on the field called unless there is indisputable evidence they are wrong

That's what we were promised. Couldn't be further away from what we've got.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 23:51 - Sep 4 with 1581 viewsdistortR

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:42 - Sep 4 by traininvain

I see our old friend Lee Mason was var official in the Man Utd vs Arsenal. Low and behold Arsenal have a perfectly good opener disallowed following var interference.

Paul Tierney did a great job anchoring Man Utd's midfield though, gave the defence a lot of protection.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 23:59 - Sep 4 with 1577 viewsdaveB

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:42 - Sep 4 by traininvain

it's supposed to be a clear and obvious error, that goal today was not a clear and obvious error it was a 50/50 call and the ref gave no foul. The whole thing is nonsence
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 00:21 - Sep 5 with 1551 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 20:47 - Sep 4 by denhamhoop2

Is that any better than no VAR?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 04:45 - Sep 5 with 1502 viewsWesley2Hoops

I cannot stand VAR.
I do not go to football matches to find out which team will score the most entirely legitimate goals. I go to get that rush when the ball hits the back of the net. And VAR is messing with that. It's that simple. And if it comes to QPR games I tell myself that I'll call it a day (almost certainly not true but that's how much I hate it).
But...
All the football managers, pundits and crucially fans that moaned endlessly about incorrect decisions paved the way for VAR to be introduced. And as fans of a championship team we have still got that choice to make. My unsolicited advice to anyone that hates VAR is simmer down about bad refereeing decisions, and accept them as the lesser of two evils right now. Yes, they're infuriating, but if we keep complaining about them then eventually a room full of people will decide that VAR might help in the championship. And as we're seeing with the prem, no matter how clearly it isn't working, once these things are introduced they are very hard to roll back.
The timekeeping situation on the other hand is a genuine disgrace. Cost of living crisis and fans are being routinely miss-sold tickets to watch 90 minutes of football. Rant and rave about that for all your worth...
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 05:22 - Sep 5 with 1487 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'd have it only for "did it cross the line?"

Other than that it can f'ck off. Besides for every one we'd get for, we'll get two or three against you just know it.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 5:23]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:00 - Sep 5 with 1436 viewsAntti_Heinola

I despise var, but if it has to exist, i’d put a clock on it. It cannot take nearly 5 mins to make a decision like at brighton yesterday. Even as a leicester fan i would not have complained if that goal had been given. VAR has 60 secs to decide if there’s a case to review. If they can’t do it, or the tech can’t do it quickly enough, sorry, stick with on field decision.
And lee Mason shouldn’t be allowed near a man u game.

Bare bones.

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:07 - Sep 5 with 1421 viewstraininvain

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 23:59 - Sep 4 by daveB

it's supposed to be a clear and obvious error, that goal today was not a clear and obvious error it was a 50/50 call and the ref gave no foul. The whole thing is nonsence

I thought it was announced at the start of this season that var would only be used in extreme circumstances. E.g. clear and obvious errors like handball goals etc.

Instead we’ve had a weekend of goals being scored and var officials trying to find menial issues in the build up as justification to interfere.

It feels like the var officials have gone power crazy.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:30 - Sep 5 with 1407 viewsJuzzie

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:07 - Sep 5 by traininvain

I thought it was announced at the start of this season that var would only be used in extreme circumstances. E.g. clear and obvious errors like handball goals etc.

Instead we’ve had a weekend of goals being scored and var officials trying to find menial issues in the build up as justification to interfere.

It feels like the var officials have gone power crazy.

The money in the game has spiralled to such insane levels that it feels to me panic has set in and everything that happens has to be scrutinised. We’re seeing nearly 10 minutes added time at the end of the game becoming the norm.

If each VAR was correct then I guess no one would mind but they are making so many bad decisions they’re probably causing more problems than they are trying to avoid.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 7:36]
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:53 - Sep 5 with 1368 viewsdistortR

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:30 - Sep 5 by Juzzie

The money in the game has spiralled to such insane levels that it feels to me panic has set in and everything that happens has to be scrutinised. We’re seeing nearly 10 minutes added time at the end of the game becoming the norm.

If each VAR was correct then I guess no one would mind but they are making so many bad decisions they’re probably causing more problems than they are trying to avoid.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 7:36]

Well, we used to hear about how unfair the randomness of reffing decisions was, in the multi-billion pound sport of football, they've invested millions wah wah. The same people who think relegation isn't really on and that world cup finals should be held in Qatar.

Everything rich investors have pushed for in football is to protect that investment, to protect their income streams and to protect the status of the teams they've bought in to, to the detriment of the actual, f'king game those of us on here actually love.

So VAR (Spit) for anything other then the 'elite' was never the point.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 08:06 - Sep 5 with 1353 viewsJamesB1979

I’m not the issue is VAR, it’s the people looking at the screens and making the decisions. I still think it’s needed to prevent the complete nonsense decisions like our “goal” against Sunderland.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 8:07]
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 09:01 - Sep 5 with 1299 viewsNorthernr

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:57 - Sep 4 by QPR_Hibs

Even when VAR is correct - like the disallowed Everton goal against Liverpool - it is ruining the excitement of the game. Yes it was a marginal decision, but it took so long to disallow it that, as a neutral spectator, I was kind of annoyed about it.

The time it takes even when correct is another huge issue with it. I called that Everton goal offside as it was scored, from the other side of a pub in Swansea four Peronis deep. You certainly didn't need more than one replay to see it. And yet... on and on and on and on we went.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 09:26 - Sep 5 with 1254 viewsDWQPR

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 09:01 - Sep 5 by Northernr

The time it takes even when correct is another huge issue with it. I called that Everton goal offside as it was scored, from the other side of a pub in Swansea four Peronis deep. You certainly didn't need more than one replay to see it. And yet... on and on and on and on we went.

But the difference is that you was not trying to justify your existence.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 10:23 - Sep 5 with 1201 viewsTacticalR

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 07:17 - Sep 4 by Lblock

Sad as it is to say… Willock should’ve gone down.
He probably wouldn’t have got anything but this ref wasn’t going to give us anything by staying on our feet.

Similar situation with Dykes when two converged on him and he kept battling for the ball.

Terrible performance from the ref AND his assistants

Isn't Willock's whole thing not going down? That's how he got that goal against Middlesbrough.

Air hostess clique

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 10:28 - Sep 5 with 1181 viewsNorthernr

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 10:23 - Sep 5 by TacticalR

Isn't Willock's whole thing not going down? That's how he got that goal against Middlesbrough.

When we talk about players diving and cheating and how we stamp it out - yellow and red cards, video reviews, retrospective action etc. one thing that doesn't get talked about enough is referees not being afraid to give decisions to players who are fouled but don't go down. ATM you aint getting a penalty if you stay on your feet.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 10:28 - Sep 5 with 1181 viewsTheChef

No VAR thank you.

Like everything else in this wonderful modern world of ours, it seems to be have been introduced just to wind people up.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:02 - Sep 5 with 1023 viewsPinnerPaul

Deep breath, I think with VAR or humans, football is chasing an impossible dream - no 'mistakes'.

Why? Because often there are no absolute 'right' or 'wrongs' - on here and even more so on 'RefChat' decisions are debated with 100% of posters absolutely convinced of the 'right' decision where often 50% disagree with them.

Very recently in the Watford game we had differing views o here on the two Watford goals - handball? Foul on Dickie? Neither incident made clearerer by looking at over and over, so how does VAR 'help' in that situation, answer, it doesn't.

Its just another opinion and as we've seen this weekend another opinion we can argue over.

its NOT going to 'improve refereeing' its NOT going to 'correct' poor decisions.

Look at the penalty Michael Oliver gave, he thought yes, VAR (Just another referee folks!) said no and well played Mr O, for the FIRST time this season, he looked at it and said yes, it IS a pen. What has VAR brought to the party there? Nothing.

The point being in that case its a judgement call so just go with the on field judgement.

Offside - one yesterday took 4 1/2 minutes to sort out and we're back to a fuzzy image of a foot kicking the ball at one end to 2mm decisions at the other.

There will be 'wrong' decisions without VAR there are 'wrong' decisions with VAR, tell me what's the point?

You know wha t- sport isn't 'fair' - the net cord that creates the perfect drop shot, the hores brought down by another, the golf ball hitting a spectator and being unplayable etc etc etc.

Lyndon Dykes miss? 'Wrong' referee decisions - how do we propose to 'eradicate' human error - its NOT happening!

Rant over!
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:05 - Sep 5 with 1011 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 08:04 - Sep 4 by traininvain

Not if you want to increase the likelihood of referees getting decisions right. I’d imagine that most managers want refs to get the big decisions right?

According to this ( https://apsportseditors.org/soccer/var-statistics/amp/) VAR has increased the accuracy of reviewable decisions by circa 5.8% to reach a high of 98.8%.

Admittedly I’m not sure how the statistic is calculated but it seems pretty obvious to me that VAR results in better decision making overall, albeit with the occasional mistake which tend to attract more interest than the correct ones for obvious reasons.

But I agree that it does ruin the game for supporters so I’m not advocating its use. However I can see why Beale (and other managers) would want VAR as ultimately they pay a bigger price for bad decisions.

What exactly were 'reviewable' decisions BEFORE VAR then?

Made up statistics alert (Not by you btw!)
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:11 - Sep 5 with 1004 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 15:18 - Sep 4 by hamptonhillhoop

I assume it's because the bloke who went for the overhead kick was offside when the free kick came in. Missed it completely, but deemed to be interfering with play. Bit like Watford's goal last week.
Cracking goal though, must be a nightmare in the Premier League, you can never fully celebrate a goal

and a Tottenham 'goal' - Harry Kane this time.

As I explained last week , if you attempt to play the ball in an offside position, that is offside.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:14 - Sep 5 with 1002 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:19 - Sep 4 by Northernr

They've got to be doing it this badly deliberately in the hope it's ditched. I reckon they all hate it too.

Not sure about the first point, but wouldn't argue your second one!

Lets not forget its up to the competition if they use it or not.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:18 - Sep 5 with 995 viewsNorthernr

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:14 - Sep 5 by PinnerPaul

Not sure about the first point, but wouldn't argue your second one!

Lets not forget its up to the competition if they use it or not.

I was pleased Michael Oliver got called over to the screen and told it to piss off at the weekend. More like that please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024