Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My First Novel - Out Now! 10:35 - Oct 3 with 6796 viewsnadera78

I’ve just self-published a novel, called Bluebeat Boy, and thought I’d take the opportunity to let you all know about it.

I’ve lived with mental health issues for most of my life, a combination of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and accompanying anxiety issues, and have written a novel on the subject. The aim was to take my understanding of these issues and put them in a fictional setting, to provide people with a flavour of what life is like for those living with them.

As such, the characters and events in this book are all fictitious, but hopefully reflect the passions, emotions and predicaments in a realistic fashion.

I’ve entered into an agreement with a charity called AnxietyUK, who will be receiving a substantial donation from each copy sold. They do a lot of good work with and for people living with these conditions. QPR were kind enough to put a small piece about this in the Stoke programme.

Below is a link to my own website, which has more detailed information about my own background as well as my motivation for writing Bluebeat Boy.
http://www.mahorsfield.com

And links for purchasing said book, if anyone feels so inclined.
Paperback
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluebeat-Boy-M-A-Horsfield/dp/1500672351
Kindle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluebeat-Boy-M-Horsfield-ebook/dp/B00N6NSAG4/ref=tmm_kin
Nook
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bluebeat-boy-m-a-horsfield/1120256757?ean=294015

Finally, here is some info on AnxietyUK and the work they do.
http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/

Thanks
Martin
[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 10:38]
My First Novel - Out Now! on 10:40 - Oct 3 with 5332 viewsDiscodroids

as someone whose led a life like a saw tooth configuration of peaks and troughs due to similar wiring of the brain, id like to congratulate you martin on tackling this issue.

good on you mate,

glenn
[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 10:42]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

My First Novel - Out Now! on 11:58 - Oct 3 with 5244 viewsrunningman75

I will download onto my kindle. I can identify with mental health issues. Had ongoing depression issues and use running and sport as a means to combat this. I also ran a marathon in 2011 for MIND but not up to the standards of some of the guys on this board.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:22 - Oct 3 with 5221 viewsMrSheen

If Souths lose, I promise to buy it to cheer you up.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:36 - Oct 3 with 5199 viewsnadera78

My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:22 - Oct 3 by MrSheen

If Souths lose, I promise to buy it to cheer you up.

Where've you been hiding since last week's demolition of Easts?
My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:51 - Oct 3 with 5179 viewsMrSheen

My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:36 - Oct 3 by nadera78

Where've you been hiding since last week's demolition of Easts?

Cracking weekend - QPR, Roosters and Tipp all lost. Bad weekend to stop drinking. Souths by 15-odd?
My First Novel - Out Now! on 13:33 - Oct 3 with 5139 viewsA40Bosh

Martin,

Have just downloaded to my Kindle and will give it a crack straight away.
My 15yr old girl has clinical depression with anxiety which really only manifested itself fully when she went into the start of the GCSE years 18mths ago. Hasn't been to school since January and is dreading the thought of missing out on all the things she and her 16yr old friends should enjoying this year but the longer it goes on the worse the panic attacks get and the more "sad" she feels every day.

It is strange what comes out of the woodwork once a young person is diagnosed with depression, turns out there is a LONG family history of it which was never discussed with us because of the perceived shame and embarrassment associated with being mental!

Best of luck with the book mate and it is good of you to benefit the charity at the same time.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 13:42 - Oct 3 with 5118 viewsPommyhoop

Good stuff nadera.Definitely will be having a look at your book.
Good luck with it...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

My First Novel - Out Now! on 13:50 - Oct 3 with 5108 viewskropotkin41

Well done, mate. LFW, the most literary football fan site on the internet!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

My First Novel - Out Now! on 15:38 - Oct 3 with 5047 viewsnadera78

My First Novel - Out Now! on 12:51 - Oct 3 by MrSheen

Cracking weekend - QPR, Roosters and Tipp all lost. Bad weekend to stop drinking. Souths by 15-odd?

I think Souths are the better team, but I also know it's been 40 years of underachievement. Fingers crossed because I don't think my friends in Maroubra could take the disappointment.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 15:44 - Oct 3 with 5042 viewsAunt_Nelly

Well done n78.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 15:49 - Oct 3 with 5038 viewsnadera78

My First Novel - Out Now! on 13:33 - Oct 3 by A40Bosh

Martin,

Have just downloaded to my Kindle and will give it a crack straight away.
My 15yr old girl has clinical depression with anxiety which really only manifested itself fully when she went into the start of the GCSE years 18mths ago. Hasn't been to school since January and is dreading the thought of missing out on all the things she and her 16yr old friends should enjoying this year but the longer it goes on the worse the panic attacks get and the more "sad" she feels every day.

It is strange what comes out of the woodwork once a young person is diagnosed with depression, turns out there is a LONG family history of it which was never discussed with us because of the perceived shame and embarrassment associated with being mental!

Best of luck with the book mate and it is good of you to benefit the charity at the same time.

It's difficult to respond fully on here, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know that sounds glib, and that it can often be difficult to see a way out, but it is there. It may take time and it may well be a case of learning to understand and manage the situation, rather than finding any 'cure' for it.

AnxietyUK is just one of several charities that are doing some excellent work in these areas (without getting political they are even more important now that NHS funding is stagnant) . I've benefitted from help and support so if I can raise a few shekels then so be it.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 16:48 - Oct 3 with 5012 viewsA40Bosh

My First Novel - Out Now! on 15:49 - Oct 3 by nadera78

It's difficult to respond fully on here, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know that sounds glib, and that it can often be difficult to see a way out, but it is there. It may take time and it may well be a case of learning to understand and manage the situation, rather than finding any 'cure' for it.

AnxietyUK is just one of several charities that are doing some excellent work in these areas (without getting political they are even more important now that NHS funding is stagnant) . I've benefitted from help and support so if I can raise a few shekels then so be it.

Thanks Martin

You make a very salient point below...
"and it may well be a case of learning to understand and manage the situation, rather than finding any 'cure' for it."

We saw an NHS based psychiatrist for the first time yesterday through Hillingdon CAMHS, having first stopped seeing the private one we had been using via BUPA as she was unreliable and left our girl worse than when she started. He started planting terminology such as "life style changes" to my daughter in a very subtle way that indicated to us that she will have to "cure" herself to an extent that she has to (through our and professional support) learn that this is fixed with a coping mechanism that is learnt and ingrained in her and not through a tablet.

Long road still ahead though - but as parents we have to remain confident she will get better and live a "normal" life - we can't think otherwise in fairness.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 16:55 - Oct 3 with 4995 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well done N78, hugely impressive achievement.

Will certainly read this. Like practically every family I know, members of my family have had mental health issues at one time or another, including me. Looking forward to your book.

Well done again.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:05 - Oct 3 with 4984 viewsFredManRave

My First Novel - Out Now! on 16:48 - Oct 3 by A40Bosh

Thanks Martin

"and it may well be a case of learning to understand and manage the situation, rather than finding any 'cure' for it."

We saw an NHS based psychiatrist for the first time yesterday through Hillingdon CAMHS, having first stopped seeing the private one we had been using via BUPA as she was unreliable and left our girl worse than when she started. He started planting terminology such as "life style changes" to my daughter in a very subtle way that indicated to us that she will have to "cure" herself to an extent that she has to (through our and professional support) learn that this is fixed with a coping mechanism that is learnt and ingrained in her and not through a tablet.

Long road still ahead though - but as parents we have to remain confident she will get better and live a "normal" life - we can't think otherwise in fairness.

It's a subject matter that is very difficult to comprehend, especially for anybody that has never suffered from or seen at close hand how it affects people. And I think even more so when young people suffer from it.

Best of Luck and whatever else is needed for you and your Daughter Bosh.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:08 - Oct 3 with 4975 viewsDiscodroids

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:05 - Oct 3 by FredManRave

It's a subject matter that is very difficult to comprehend, especially for anybody that has never suffered from or seen at close hand how it affects people. And I think even more so when young people suffer from it.

Best of Luck and whatever else is needed for you and your Daughter Bosh.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2014 8:28]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:14 - Oct 3 with 4966 viewsessextaxiboy

My First Novel - Out Now! on 16:48 - Oct 3 by A40Bosh

Thanks Martin

As Martin says on his website A CBT professional may be able to help.

They teach you to recognise the triggers that send you into depression episode or panic attack and ways to break the vicious circle that drags you in . These feelings have a habit of jumping on you without warning , if you can see them coming you can head em off with the right tools .

Best wishes to you and your daughter ,
My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:33 - Oct 3 with 4938 viewsA40Bosh

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:14 - Oct 3 by essextaxiboy

As Martin says on his website A CBT professional may be able to help.

They teach you to recognise the triggers that send you into depression episode or panic attack and ways to break the vicious circle that drags you in . These feelings have a habit of jumping on you without warning , if you can see them coming you can head em off with the right tools .

Best wishes to you and your daughter ,

Cheers lads, know you have been there as well!

CBT will definitely be back on the agenda but the first "stint" of it was curtailed when the counselor decided it was not working and suggested meds first as my daughter was at a stage where she would listen to what was being said but was providing a counter argument to all the suggestions and it obviously was not working with that particular counselor.

I do like the cut of this new psychiatrist's gib though. I hope the rest of the counseling and OT team are as good as well....but it's a step in the right direction.

My First Novel - Out Now! on 18:05 - Oct 3 with 4899 viewsTheBlob

Yeah I might give it a whirl.
I've had a severe fear of travelling since i was a teen,exacerbated by hallucinogenics and other stuff.It's stopped me from going to see R's now - missed a lot of good stuff,but most of the badDon't half stay with you don't it,you die and are reborn on a regular basis it seems,tried everything including hypnotherapy which didn't work last time because the therapist kept fonding my knee.
Yes there aren't any miracle cures....as yet.Keep punching bud.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 18:16 - Oct 3 with 4882 viewsterryb

I will certainly buy the book & as a fellow depressive a very big thank tou to Martin.

A40bosh. I have no advise for you but I do give you my very best wishes. Your love & support are so important for your daughter.

At times I feel as if I would be able to give lectures on this subject & at other times I know I would benefit from listening to lectures from fellow sufferers.

The more of us that are prepared to admit to this illness & talk about it, the sooner we will be understood by others.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 18:42 - Oct 3 with 4868 viewsnadera78

My First Novel - Out Now! on 17:33 - Oct 3 by A40Bosh

Cheers lads, know you have been there as well!

CBT will definitely be back on the agenda but the first "stint" of it was curtailed when the counselor decided it was not working and suggested meds first as my daughter was at a stage where she would listen to what was being said but was providing a counter argument to all the suggestions and it obviously was not working with that particular counselor.

I do like the cut of this new psychiatrist's gib though. I hope the rest of the counseling and OT team are as good as well....but it's a step in the right direction.

It was 'suggested' to me on a couple of occasions that I should look for help, but I just wasn't ready to hear it even though I was completely aware that there was a big problem. It's such an important aspect of the whole process that you're ready to accept it.

I know you'll be well aware that it's a long term process, but the chances of success are good.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 19:09 - Oct 3 with 4835 viewsingeminate

My First Novel - Out Now! on 18:42 - Oct 3 by nadera78

It was 'suggested' to me on a couple of occasions that I should look for help, but I just wasn't ready to hear it even though I was completely aware that there was a big problem. It's such an important aspect of the whole process that you're ready to accept it.

I know you'll be well aware that it's a long term process, but the chances of success are good.

Aside from raising the issues mentioned, fair play for writing a novel - many try and most fail so congrats!!!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 23:09 - Oct 3 with 4742 viewsjamois

Hey Martin. Well done. Aside from personal issues, simply pulling one's finger out to write a novel is an amazing accomplishment. one that I've certainly failed at thus far. I will be using you as some inspiration. Btw, small matter, on your site underneath "Books" - a wee typo.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 23:21 - Oct 3 with 4733 viewsbosh67

Many congrats, wishing you major success with this.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

My First Novel - Out Now! on 08:55 - Oct 4 with 4649 viewsnadera78

My First Novel - Out Now! on 23:09 - Oct 3 by jamois

Hey Martin. Well done. Aside from personal issues, simply pulling one's finger out to write a novel is an amazing accomplishment. one that I've certainly failed at thus far. I will be using you as some inspiration. Btw, small matter, on your site underneath "Books" - a wee typo.

Argh!!! There is as well. God knows how many times I've been over that site. Cheers for the heads up.
My First Novel - Out Now! on 08:29 - Oct 8 with 4526 viewsDiscodroids

..people with mental health issues such as bi polar, o.c.d, addictive personality disorder, mascohist self destructive behaviour etc etc..

the best way to resolve these issues is to bury it all deep within yourself, surpress it and never ever talk about it openly with loved ones and professional mental health professionals
avoid 'triggers' such as drugs, alcohol, walking, talking, thinking, breathing, being, existing,'celebrity squares','pointless','location location' and kieth lemon.'

ignore the slow motion riot in your head and pack up your troubles in your old kib bag and smile smile smile.

when watching 'take me out' with paddy mcguiness, imagine a candles naked flame, or a brick wall or a world without scary spice
"no likey, no lighty"

dont take that rubber hose into the garage ,,'the chase' is on tonight with that bradley walsh.proper geezer.cracks me up..

just a suggestion, who am i ?, doctor bleedin kildare?, you can take or leave it if you please.

whatever you do dont stare out of the window this wet miserable wednesday morning while robert wyatts 'shipbuilding' plays in your head..those piss holes in the snow dont need the grief.

With all the will in the world
Diving for dear life
When we could be diving for pearls.

or something like that.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2014 8:30]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024