Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kids football advice please (non qpr) 20:39 - Feb 8 with 3430 viewsQPR1506

Evening chaps, me and my son are season ticket holders in the lower loft. He's 9 and half decent at football, Palarse, millwall and Spurs have made enquiries about him jointing their respective academies. I personally think he's too young and would perhaps make a decision when he's 11/12. Was wondering if anyone here has been in this situation and can offer any advice? Thanks

In Redknapp We Trust !

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 20:45 - Feb 8 with 3411 viewspeejaybee

Just be thankfull that he is most probably Just a bit to old for Chelsea's Academy.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 20:49 - Feb 8 with 3397 viewsQPR1506

Don't worry he would rather give up playing than go there!!

In Redknapp We Trust !

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 20:55 - Feb 8 with 3387 viewskingsburyR

I'd let him play with his mates for a few more years yet.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 22:31 - Feb 8 with 3305 viewsonlyrinmoray

Chelsea have 28 players out on loan a depressing statistic
Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 22:32 - Feb 8 with 3303 viewshamptonhillhoop

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 20:55 - Feb 8 by kingsburyR

I'd let him play with his mates for a few more years yet.

I can't really give you any personal advice but a friend of mines sons are both in arsenals academy and are about 8 and 10. His attitude is very much along the lines of don't expect too much and just let them enjoy the experience. He was offered a few clubs including Rangers I believe but went with arsenal as they were the most professional in his opinion
[Post edited 8 Feb 2015 22:33]
Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 22:47 - Feb 8 with 3274 viewsstowmarketrange

I had one of ours U11's girls team taken on at Colchester academy a couple of years ago,and although she has improved as a player,she isn't allowed to play any other sort of football at all.No schools,no outside club,only academy football and their training.
Her parents have to transport her all over the place during the week for her games.
Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 23:01 - Feb 8 with 3258 views1BobbyHazell

It's a nice sentiment to maybe want him to wait until he's a little older but these places are quite ruthless these days. There's every chance that come a few years time they won't want him anymore as their own players may have developed beyond him or they may have found others, his best chance is to be amongst them as early as possible.

Palace and Spurs have a much better rep so I'd just choose the one that is most practical as it is a hell of a time commitment. Like someone said earlier make sure it's fun and enjoyable for him.
Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 10:08 - Feb 9 with 3126 viewsSimonJames

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 23:01 - Feb 8 by 1BobbyHazell

It's a nice sentiment to maybe want him to wait until he's a little older but these places are quite ruthless these days. There's every chance that come a few years time they won't want him anymore as their own players may have developed beyond him or they may have found others, his best chance is to be amongst them as early as possible.

Palace and Spurs have a much better rep so I'd just choose the one that is most practical as it is a hell of a time commitment. Like someone said earlier make sure it's fun and enjoyable for him.

Exactly.
Grab the best training you can get (with the least logistical complications) and make sure he's enjoying it.
Get some good skills and training habits instilled in him now, before he develops bad habits that are much harder to change later on.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 10:38 - Feb 9 with 3108 viewspaulparker

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 22:47 - Feb 8 by stowmarketrange

I had one of ours U11's girls team taken on at Colchester academy a couple of years ago,and although she has improved as a player,she isn't allowed to play any other sort of football at all.No schools,no outside club,only academy football and their training.
Her parents have to transport her all over the place during the week for her games.

Same for my Stepdaughter Stowe she plays for Northampton but isn't allowed to play for her school, saying that its our local club and the coaching she gets is top class
she enjoys playing for them and feels playing for her school a waste of time TBH

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:17 - Feb 9 with 3077 viewsderbyhoop

All the academies stop their players from playing non academy football, I.e. With their mates.

Just be careful what you commit to. What's relevant at 10 may not be at 12/13/14. You want to be sure they can go somewhere else in time
Good coaching will improve the kids but 90% will get dropped before 16.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2015 16:15]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 13:53 - Feb 9 with 3022 viewskingo

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 10:08 - Feb 9 by SimonJames

Exactly.
Grab the best training you can get (with the least logistical complications) and make sure he's enjoying it.
Get some good skills and training habits instilled in him now, before he develops bad habits that are much harder to change later on.

This is my advice too. My son is talented and has been at our local club Wycombe since he was 6. The training there is very good and he has certainly improved as a player. He was also with QPR Elite for a couple of years but the club decided to axe his venue (without telling anyone) at the beginning of the season. The training that the boys get is very good, but it is totally based on the individual and not as being a team member and many parents simply don't understand the illogical way that they are trained.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 16:23 - Feb 9 with 2970 viewsBostonR

I have first-hand experience of this. Both my lads played for a very good local side (Surrey Premier League) and they along with two other players were picked off by Watford and Wycombe.
Both my lads were very good technical players but not 6ft at 14 so you find 50% of their chances are alreday gone. Then you have to go through the six-week trial which is frankly a waste of time. In my experience, if your boy is a very good technical player (can actually play football) forget it - he will be dropped after 6 weeks or 3-6months.
Both my lads now play for their respective universities (great standard and facilities) and will probably sign up at a sem-pro level, which is where all our technically talented 18-22yr olds are now playing.

My advice - let him enjoy his local team and see where he is at when he is 16-18.
Kids football advice please (non qpr) on 22:48 - Feb 9 with 2872 viewssotonsuperhoop

My youngest played for Southampton and Bournemouth from the age of 8, signed at age 9 on a two year contract with Saints, then released and spent two years at Bournemouth which ended after a medial ligament injury.

He received great training at both clubs, Southampton focused on team play and moved players to all positions to develop them and see what suited them best, Bournemouth more on individual game contribution.

The experience was great and He got to play at Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham as well as most West Country teams when at Bournemouth.

Lots of travelling but Sam says it was worth it, but be prepared for the kid to fall massively when released. Only one of his team mates from Saints uner 8s has made it and he's now fourth choice keeper at Bournemouth

Sam went on to play at Winchester City before a pelvic injury put him out for 16 months

Good luck and hope they enjoy the experience if you go for it
[Post edited 9 Feb 2015 22:50]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024