Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Humes - chapter 2 14:29 - May 16 with 1962 viewsColukev

http://m.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/12951723._/

Just had a read of his latest interview on the gazette.

I'll admit to being very harsh on him this season. I wrote off our chances after the crawley defeat. How ironic that we survived at their expense!

Whilst I stand by my view that TH wasn't the man for the job...I'm quietly impressed how he has handled the pressure, and the fans negativity towards him. The outcome of the season finale was totally unexpected and just short of miraculous. For that, I take my hat off to the man.

Going forward into next season, and referring back to the interview today, I'm starting to come round to next season with him in charge. How many years have we been crying out to get our business sorted early and not signing the scraps left from the pre-preseason scramble.
If it allows us to get a couple of players who may have that touch more quality than previous preseason signings, coupled with a completed squad for the whole preseason, I believe that may be the difference between bottom 12 season or top 12.

Nobody will ever know the full extend of the goings on with the senior pros excluded from the side, however it took some balls to make that call, considering the plight and the stakes on the line. Whether he was in the right or wrong. .he made the call, and stuck with it. Some may even call it inspired. Not sure Joe dunne or John ward would have put themselves in that precarious position.

It seems as if TH was beginning to learn some hard lessons in the run in, and had started to mould into his own philosophy. If we had that form over the season, playoffs would have been achievable at least.

So I guess whilst I'm still undecided, TH has at least given me the mind to support him fully blooded next season, as I'm struggling to find a reason why I couldn't.

Feeling very optimistic he may well just move us in the right direction, and with a potentially very ordinary looking league next season, what a time for it all to fall into place.

In TH's U's I believe...please bring on better times than the last 3 years.

Respect
Tony Humes - chapter 2 on 14:32 - May 16 with 1956 viewsdurham_exile

Respect - COLUKEV to you for admitting that you were wrong about TH.

Business over quickly, team assembled, off on holiday, return in July ready for the top six next season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tony Humes - chapter 2 on 14:48 - May 16 with 1947 viewsLeadbelly

Players released,yes, but team assembled? I think Humes has a massive job over the next few weeks and I'll be very surprised if Col U emulate Chelsea in completing signings early. It doesn't happen usually because most players don't have "sign for Col U" on the pre holiday "to do" list.

Whilst our boys did their bit we shouldn't forget other results went our way in spectacular fashion over the final two weekends of the season. Had they not done so we'd be in League 2 next season. I'll reserve judgement until the clocks go back.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tony Humes - chapter 2 on 14:56 - May 16 with 1943 viewswessex_exile

"because most players don't have "sign for Col U" on the pre holiday "to do" list"

I'd go so far as to say that any that do are precisely the sort of player we don't want.

I've been prepared to give Tony Humes a fair go at things since he was appointed. Sure he has made mistakes, but I really don't think one was giving our 'experienced' pros a much-needed kick up the arse. You're right about the final act of the season Whale, we were very much reliant on others to help...but I'd take the more holistic view that our results averaged out over a full season would have meant we'd have been already safe before Preston. No disrespect to Joe "The Legend" Dunne at all, but his single point from the first five games was where the real damage was done in my opinion.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Tony Humes - chapter 2 on 15:31 - May 16 with 1936 viewsLeadbelly

It really is a game of opinions. I had a meeting on Monday with one of my longest suffering clients, a committed Orient fan(he missed one game all season,Rochdale away due to car trouble on the way) In his opinion Orient needed a bit of our self belief. They lost their final 7 games without a whimper.

The right to wear the shirt has to be earned and seasoned pros need to realise that. Perhaps first team places came too early for some of the youngsters but if they and Humes all learn from the experience and build on it then next season could should be much better than the last one.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tony Humes - chapter 2 on 15:54 - May 16 with 1933 viewspwrightsknees

I'm with Kev on this. The run-in of our last 10 games would have given us a place in the play-offs if repeated throughout the season. It does seem that TH, having sorted out the awful inheritance, is moving in the right direction and he must be given a chance to develop things further.

That said, statistics don't tell the whole story. We really did seem to have a soft under-belly when it comes to playing fellow strugglers. We needed to be hungrier and more ruthless in those vital games. Let's hope that won't arise next season because, hopefully, we won't be struggling. But let's hope a greater hunger and ruthlessness can be applied to our promotion push.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024