Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester 16:13 - Oct 14 with 1256 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?
4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season?
5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?
7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Wigan fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/09/wigan-fans-the-jurys-out-on-manager-gar

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Saturday and the report will appear on our website prior to the fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 19:31 - Oct 15 with 1210 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Anyone like to take part?
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:41 - Oct 15 with 1195 viewswessex_exile

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 19:31 - Oct 15 by Robbie_Earles_Perm

Anyone like to take part?

I've done this one already REP, but if you've still no takers by tomorrow evening I'll give it another go.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 09:34 - Oct 16 with 1182 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Smashing cheers!
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 12:15 - Oct 16 with 1170 viewsnoah4x4

OK, Wessex did his turn last year; here goes....

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?

I have always supported my local (always) lower league team; which has been Colchester United for the past 14 seasons since I moved here; during which time I have missed about a dozen home league games. Having "retired" (early) three years ago I rarely miss an away game and frequently write match reports for the 'U'sual fanzine.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?

The pundits (what do they know?) annually decide that the U’s are relegation fodder and yet we have consistently defied gravity for longer than astronauts on a round trip to Jupiter. But this calendar year is different and our record since March 2015 is (almost) ‘play-off’ form. I have no relegation fears for this season and predict a comfortable mid-table finish. But next year our young academy stars; currently top of the Under 21 Professional Development League Division Two; will be another year older; so I am feeling ever more positive about the future.

3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?

Manager Tony Humes has recently acquired some former Premier League quality in attack. Midfielder; Owen Gavan has been sheer class; whilst Marvin Sordell; alongside George Moncur and Gavin Massey will terrorise most Division One defences; backed up by other solid Number 9 performers like Chris Porter and Zimbabwe international Maculey Bonne. By contrast, our defence has been a bit shaky; but who cares if we nervously win games 3-2 as long as it is three points? But we drew 3-3 with Chesterfield whilst hitting the woodwork three times; then had the ball in the opposition net four times to take a two nil lead before capitulating 4-2 to Shrewsbury. So watching the U’s exciting attacking style often means a goal fest; it's just a shame some are in our net!

4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season?

Tony Humes has suffered far too much unjust criticism. Tony being Ex-Ipswich; making some Ex-Ipswich signings; and then selling Freddie Sears to Ipswich; seems to matter far too much to some fickle U’s fans who were moaning about the superb Owen Garvan even before he had kicked a ball. I perhaps don't understand this 'history'. Thankfully we are starting to get the results that we deserve, but it has taken patience and an influx of experience to get the best out of our young academy starlets that were perhaps exposed to the more brutal side of Division One a tad too early. But it is now coming together in (arguably) the best squad we have had for at least a decade.

5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?

Owner; Robbie Cowling is a visionary that has made Colchester United into a financially self-sustainable Division One (or better) club in decent stadium surroundings; but again, fan opinions are very divided. He justifiably saw the need to invest in Academy Two Status with the advent of Financial Fair Play; and has introduced many ticketing innovations; such as under 11’s can attend free with a paying adult. However (according to the BBC), our cheapest season tickets are 13% more expensive than the league average; but then we do get a compensating £40 ‘shop’ voucher. The cynics inevitably see it as a means to “force us to buy shirts”; but I have typically spent mine on (say) F A Cup tickets and for other club sponsored entertainment like the thriving comedy club and regular tribute nights. I simply see this as innovative. Similarly, our match day tickets are not the cheapest; but if one buys using the ‘early bird’ advance deals or mini-season packs you can get good value (provided that the team performs as that always has an impact on value perceptions!). We have a population a tenth of that of Bradford, or Sheffield; with strong rivals for local football spectator traffic such as Ipswich and the London clubs on our doorstep. We simply have to be innovative as regards raising revenue; staying solvent and funding the playing budget under FFP. All that has been missing in the last decade has been the results; and we are hopefully now turning that corner. Vale fans will enjoy the (free) pre-match music entertainment and our award winning 'family club' atmosphere. We also make some decent noise too.

6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?

No disrespect intended, but I haven’t taken much notice of any Vale players this season. In past seasons one did have to sit up and beware of players like Tom Pope; but this year Vale seems to have crept into a comfortable mid table position rather anonymously. However, I am sure our management team will have done its homework even if the fans have not.

7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?

Like the U’s, Port Vale always seem to be a team in eternal transition. However, I wonder if you now have as strong a future vision as the U’s? I predict a mid-table position for both sides; but feel that the U's possibly have the greater momentum to kick on from there (e.g. given the Academy II status; which is bringing ever more young talent). We have always enjoyed good banter with Vale fans in your supporters bar and in the many real ale pubs in Colchester; so a mutual long stay in Division One is welcome; with only an exit upwards.

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?

My recollection of most games versus Vale is that none have been too memorable other than for Vale (or in earlier times the U’s) “parking the bus” and snatching victory by the odd goal on the counter! But I have a feeling that this forthcoming fixture may be different.

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?

3 — 1 to Colchester. As the away side; you will no doubt once again get nine men behind the ball whilst we throw the kitchen sink at you. This time I believe that we have the fire power in Sordell; Moncur and Massey to emerge as victors.

Noah4x4.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2015 12:23]
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:17 - Oct 16 with 1129 viewsRSCOSWORTH

In Noah we trust.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 06:11 - Oct 17 with 1113 viewsnoah4x4

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:17 - Oct 16 by RSCOSWORTH

In Noah we trust.

Just bring your own oars when the flood comes....
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 15:10 - Oct 17 with 1094 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Top reply Noah, thanks very much!

I take it you have given up your arc in favour of the 4x4, bet you've never heard that before! ;)
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:44 - Oct 17 with 1076 viewsnoah4x4

Nicknamed 'Noah' from cricketing days as my best/worst shot was "in the arc...." (Geddit). Opposition never needed more than two fielders (unless I edged it).

So never had an 'Ark'; only Jaguars. But if I did the animals would have gone in 2x2. Instead 4x4 simply reflects inflation; plus the fact my namesakes had first dibs on the intellectual property rights of two wheel drive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024