Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual 16:18 - Dec 24 with 1489 viewsGate16

Here's wishing everybody a peaceful but merry Christmas and a prosperous, healthy and happy 2016.

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 16:51 - Dec 24 with 1482 viewsBarsidepete

Merry Christmas, Gate!

edit, me: I mean Happy Christmas to all! ... you're just the nutter who posted it.

Wonderful '16 to all.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2015 16:53]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 21:11 - Dec 24 with 1462 viewspwrightsknees

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 16:51 - Dec 24 by Barsidepete

Merry Christmas, Gate!

edit, me: I mean Happy Christmas to all! ... you're just the nutter who posted it.

Wonderful '16 to all.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2015 16:53]

Happy Christmas a prosperous New Year to all an this board and to U's fans everywhere.

Wishing for peace on Earth.

Up the U's
Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 13:44 - Dec 25 with 1437 viewswessex_exile

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 21:11 - Dec 24 by pwrightsknees

Happy Christmas a prosperous New Year to all an this board and to U's fans everywhere.

Up the U's

Perfect sentiments PWK, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 17:10 - Dec 25 with 1437 viewsnoah4x4

There are four teams dear to my heart;

1. Colchester United Bottom of Division One.
2. Aston Villa Bottom of Premier League.
3. Kidderminster Harriers Bottom of National League
4. Noah4x4's XI Bottom of HGPL

Was given a telescope for Xmas. Suspect a John Lewis advert joke in that somewhere. But step-son enquired; "is that to see the top of the league"? Me; suffering from Sciatica; so ate my Xmas dinner standing up; and am not allowed to drink alcohol cos of the tablets. Surely, it can only get better from here; and a win tomorrow will do nicely.

Merry Xmas all boarders!
Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 21:52 - Dec 25 with 1414 viewsBarsidepete

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 21:11 - Dec 24 by pwrightsknees

Up the U's

Merry Christmas, Pete

... and why do we have so many "Petes" on the board?

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 22:00 - Dec 25 with 1412 viewsBarsidepete

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 17:10 - Dec 25 by noah4x4

There are four teams dear to my heart;

1. Colchester United Bottom of Division One.
2. Aston Villa Bottom of Premier League.
3. Kidderminster Harriers Bottom of National League
4. Noah4x4's XI Bottom of HGPL

Was given a telescope for Xmas. Suspect a John Lewis advert joke in that somewhere. But step-son enquired; "is that to see the top of the league"? Me; suffering from Sciatica; so ate my Xmas dinner standing up; and am not allowed to drink alcohol cos of the tablets. Surely, it can only get better from here; and a win tomorrow will do nicely.

Merry Xmas all boarders!

When I was young I got a microscope for Christmas.

With that weird liquid that you made your own slides with

I did end up studying microbiology but ended up being a journo graduate.

Mum's, gotta love em. She was an engineer. She knew more about science and I knew more words than she did .. Mum, while I was at uni, in college, taught me calculus. I don't remember anything about calculus as if I was a drunk frat boy.

Maths was not my strong suit.

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 08:26 - Dec 26 with 1378 viewsnoah4x4

Has anybody been watching the TV programme about scientific devices of the last century? Stuff like the early mobile phones and computer games.

yesterday, we ended up discussing the joys of logarithms, calculus and how to use a slide rule. Cue completely blank looks from the kids (now aged 22 to 35). I reckon that for all the positive benefits of electronic calculators and computers we seem to have lost something by abandoning old methods, notably that basic understanding of fundamentals in maths and science. Using things like a slide rule, log-tables, or even a Spirograph drawing toy were excellent in inspiring curiosity about mathematical principles in a way that pushing buttons can't emulate.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2015 8:30]
Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 08:38 - Dec 26 with 1371 viewswessex_exile

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 08:26 - Dec 26 by noah4x4

Has anybody been watching the TV programme about scientific devices of the last century? Stuff like the early mobile phones and computer games.

yesterday, we ended up discussing the joys of logarithms, calculus and how to use a slide rule. Cue completely blank looks from the kids (now aged 22 to 35). I reckon that for all the positive benefits of electronic calculators and computers we seem to have lost something by abandoning old methods, notably that basic understanding of fundamentals in maths and science. Using things like a slide rule, log-tables, or even a Spirograph drawing toy were excellent in inspiring curiosity about mathematical principles in a way that pushing buttons can't emulate.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2015 8:30]

I haven't been watching the programme, but undoubtedly you're right about modern technology and its impact on, for want of a better expression, brain function. Back in the day you calculated complex maths in your head (or at most on a sheet of paper), carried around in your memory a host of phone numbers, and developed almost an instinctive sense of direction coupled with an ability to read and understand road signs when going from A to B. Now, we have calculators, mobile phones and SatNav to do it all for us.

It is vaguely ironic that because we (as the human race) have the brain power to develop this technology, we might be depleting said brain power in the process?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Happy Christmas everyone on the U'sual on 09:52 - Dec 26 with 1366 viewsnoah4x4

Just before Xmas my 93 year old mum was visited by her doctor to do a computerised (I-pad) dementia test. She passed all 30 questions with ease.

He left, but forgot to take his I-pad. On his return to collect it, my witty Mother was ready with a pencil and paper and enquired.... "When did your forgetfulness start.....,"

I think you are spot on Wessex. Brain functions are probably diminishing because we take the lazy route (calulators etc). Would perhaps be interesting to compare the future dementia score of (say) darts players accustomed to fast mental arithmetic with those that instead played space invaders.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024