Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester 17:19 - Feb 28 with 2772 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game. Some of you kindly contributed to our reverse fixture article and I wondered if some posters would like to take part by answering some different questions.

I wondered if up to three of you have a few minutes and would kindly offer your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;
1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How are your team doing (current form and in relation to the expectation of fans at the start of the season)?
3. Where you think you will finish in terms of league position?
4. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?
5. What are your thoughts on your manager?
6. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
7. Any views on the current Port Vale team & specific players?
8. Did you attend the reverse fixture earlier this season? If so what were your thoughts on the game?
9. Any views & memories of players / managers that have been involved with both teams?
10. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Wigan fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/09/wigan-fans-the-jurys-out-on-manager-gar

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Wednesday and the report should appear on the website a day or two before our fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP :)
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:16 - Feb 28 with 1972 viewsBarsidepete

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan? -- why are your questions so generic?
2. How are your team doing (current form and in relation to the expectation of fans at the start of the season)? -- do you look at the table or do you follow rugby?
3. Where you think you will finish in terms of league position? -- definitely in the playoffs
4. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)? -- Moncur. He hasn't netted one in so long that probably a brace v Vale
5. What are your thoughts on your manager? -- I have to drink myself silly with screwdrivers if KK is on my mind
6. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities? -- Mr. Cowling has a sense of humour
7. Any views on the current Port Vale team & specific players? -- I'd have to look you up on Google to be sure where PV is
8. Did you attend the reverse fixture earlier this season? If so what were your thoughts on the game? -- No, and one positive about D2 is I don't have to attend a PV game
9. Any views & memories of players / managers that have been involved with both teams? -- leading question. Use your journalistic acumen and tell us about what player or manager has been involved with both teams
10. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)? Colchester 2-0 Moncur

I used to ask questions like this when I was a wannabe journo at 16. Apologies if you are a wannabe jouno and you're 16.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:45 - Feb 28 with 1969 viewsgerry_us

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:16 - Feb 28 by Barsidepete

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan? -- why are your questions so generic?
2. How are your team doing (current form and in relation to the expectation of fans at the start of the season)? -- do you look at the table or do you follow rugby?
3. Where you think you will finish in terms of league position? -- definitely in the playoffs
4. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)? -- Moncur. He hasn't netted one in so long that probably a brace v Vale
5. What are your thoughts on your manager? -- I have to drink myself silly with screwdrivers if KK is on my mind
6. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities? -- Mr. Cowling has a sense of humour
7. Any views on the current Port Vale team & specific players? -- I'd have to look you up on Google to be sure where PV is
8. Did you attend the reverse fixture earlier this season? If so what were your thoughts on the game? -- No, and one positive about D2 is I don't have to attend a PV game
9. Any views & memories of players / managers that have been involved with both teams? -- leading question. Use your journalistic acumen and tell us about what player or manager has been involved with both teams
10. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)? Colchester 2-0 Moncur

I used to ask questions like this when I was a wannabe journo at 16. Apologies if you are a wannabe jouno and you're 16.

A bit harsh Barside, but I suppose someone asking how we were doing this season was rather asking for trouble.
Could PV be the start of our revival?
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:00 - Feb 28 with 1963 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:45 - Feb 28 by gerry_us

A bit harsh Barside, but I suppose someone asking how we were doing this season was rather asking for trouble.

Hi Gerry - Port Fail away is normally our away banker. Last season we won 2-1 at Easter time, the weather was shocking and the pitch heavy but we put in a sterling performance and deservedly won the game.

What price an away win on Saturday?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:14 - Feb 28 with 1950 viewsBarsidepete

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:45 - Feb 28 by gerry_us

Right, Gerry.

The questions seemed like skim milk.

I think he'll find my answers fun .. What would I answer to our playoff prospects? Well, right in the mix.

Some questions appeared copy-pasted. As I said, by a 16-year-old or something.

HERE IS MY QUESTION TO HIM:

What Club do you support and why are you here? ... I fly over from the states and spend £3-4000 to see our U's and attend 4-5 games (one Ipswich every year, and I get beer poured on my head, Gary finds that funny) ...

His questions were sterile. Like his high school teacher asked him to post questions.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:24 - Feb 28 with 1949 viewsTheOldOakTree

In fairness to Pete, under the circumstances, I though questions 2 to 6 were taking the piss. A bit more respect for a team in a terminal nosedive wouldn't be too much to ask for.

Managed both - Micky Adams a proper number2's of a number 2.

Most dangerous player - George Elokobi, he's been our biggest danger all season.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 21:28]
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:35 - Feb 28 with 1946 viewsLeadbelly

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:14 - Feb 28 by Barsidepete

Right, Gerry.

The questions seemed like skim milk.

I think he'll find my answers fun .. What would I answer to our playoff prospects? Well, right in the mix.

Some questions appeared copy-pasted. As I said, by a 16-year-old or something.

HERE IS MY QUESTION TO HIM:

What Club do you support and why are you here? ... I fly over from the states and spend £3-4000 to see our U's and attend 4-5 games (one Ipswich every year, and I get beer poured on my head, Gary finds that funny) ...

His questions were sterile. Like his high school teacher asked him to post questions.

Perhaps he will find your answers fun but I didn't. If you are so offended by the quality of the questions why lower yourself to provide answers? Regardless of whether or not our Port Vale correspondent is 16 years of age at least he hasn't behaved like a child.

Skimmed milk BTW.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:44 - Feb 28 with 1936 viewsBarsidepete

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:35 - Feb 28 by Leadbelly

Perhaps he will find your answers fun but I didn't. If you are so offended by the quality of the questions why lower yourself to provide answers? Regardless of whether or not our Port Vale correspondent is 16 years of age at least he hasn't behaved like a child.

Skimmed milk BTW.

Skim.

That's why we defeated you Brits.

You lot can't spell
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 21:57]

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:54 - Feb 28 with 1929 viewsBarsidepete

I had to Google Robbie Earle..

Port Vale and Wimbledon legend?

I'm sorry. I bow down

Login to get fewer ads

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:10 - Feb 28 with 1927 viewsTheOldOakTree

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:44 - Feb 28 by Barsidepete

Skim.

That's why we defeated you Brits.

You lot can't spell
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 21:57]

You may have defeated us, but at least we turned up on time.
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:20 - Feb 28 with 1914 viewsBarsidepete

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:10 - Feb 28 by TheOldOakTree

You may have defeated us, but at least we turned up on time.

It's not like we didn't name most cities in the Northeast after places in the UK.

I've lost my point. That fella should repost his questions.

Best ever U's player.
Fun grounds.
Most awesome pub, home and away.
Wagered and won. Wagered and lost.
Pubs with disappointing selection of ales.
Barkeep girl you slipped a tenner.
Where do you go after the game.
If not the U's then who would it be? -- my answer, Spurs.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:52 - Feb 28 with 1903 viewsBarsidepete

I meant no harm.

This is what the Reading board did waaaay back in the day when Yanks played there for the buiscuit eaters.

An outsider posted something and the board would hijack the thread and go totally off topic 😃

It was actually that funny. The big joke was that when Middlesbrough visited, those in wheelchairs would be shoved down the sidewalk. You can't make crap like this up :D Reading fans would throw things at the visitor's buses. After decades I still have a soft spot for Reading 😇😋🐢

Edit: I'm reformed. Now only support the U's, Spurs and Canaries 😉 .. Ok, and Derby, happy, Happy?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 22:59]

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 09:25 - Feb 29 with 1861 viewsnoah4x4

Robbie-Earles Perm deserves respect. He (like Durham Exile for us) has been handling the pre-match reports for Port Vale for some years and in the past I have contributed (as I think has Wessex-Exile).

I stopped doing match reports for the U'sual when the abuse towards me; players and managers from a few U's fans became personal rather than merely constructive disagreement. Everybody is entitled to an opinion about a result; or team; or player or manager; and that may differ from that of others. But the thing that upsets me most as a U's fan is some overstep the mark. Relegation seems to be a nailed on certainty and once it happens; can we all play nicely again?
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 16:31 - Feb 29 with 1830 viewsjonestones

Well said Noah. I whole hearted agree.

I have missed your match reports this season is there any chance of you starting them again?
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:27 - Feb 29 with 1827 viewsnoah4x4

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 16:31 - Feb 29 by jonestones

Well said Noah. I whole hearted agree.

I have missed your match reports this season is there any chance of you starting them again?

Maybe when we win I might.

It might be a long sabbatical
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:34 - Feb 29 with 1825 viewsLeadbelly

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:27 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

Maybe when we win I might.

It might be a long sabbatical

Little danger of RSI this season!

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 18:40 - Feb 29 with 1808 viewsBarsidepete

It's hard to keep a smiley face on this season.

Let's add context:

Robbie Earle is an ABSOLUTE FIXTURE as a commentator in the US of A on NBC. I guess few would know that unless you watched footy across the pond. We get every Premiere League game on NBC --over 5-6 channels on any given Saturday (and Sunday, Monday)-- and yes, I understand the Port Vale connection --username, etc.

Robbie played a decade for PV and a decade for Wimbledon.

R.E. is great. He's a smart and witty with his insight. I thought I'd post some silly answers to that 10-questions that I'm sure he'd approve of ∑=P

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:48 - Feb 29 with 1786 viewswessex_exile

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 09:25 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

Robbie-Earles Perm deserves respect. He (like Durham Exile for us) has been handling the pre-match reports for Port Vale for some years and in the past I have contributed (as I think has Wessex-Exile).

I stopped doing match reports for the U'sual when the abuse towards me; players and managers from a few U's fans became personal rather than merely constructive disagreement. Everybody is entitled to an opinion about a result; or team; or player or manager; and that may differ from that of others. But the thing that upsets me most as a U's fan is some overstep the mark. Relegation seems to be a nailed on certainty and once it happens; can we all play nicely again?

Apart from the sad absence of Noah's match reports, a fact much lamented, REP does indeed deserve proper respect - he's a genuine member of the football forum community who has been running this questionnaire for many years now, and they are always asks (more or less) the same questions whatever our respective circumstance. Some of Pete's responses had a tinge of humour about them, some were definitely disrespectful, but that's Pete I guess. No one who knows anything about football should have to google Robbie Earle to find out who he is.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 21:11 - Feb 29 with 1776 viewsBarsidepete

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 20:48 - Feb 29 by wessex_exile

Apart from the sad absence of Noah's match reports, a fact much lamented, REP does indeed deserve proper respect - he's a genuine member of the football forum community who has been running this questionnaire for many years now, and they are always asks (more or less) the same questions whatever our respective circumstance. Some of Pete's responses had a tinge of humour about them, some were definitely disrespectful, but that's Pete I guess. No one who knows anything about football should have to google Robbie Earle to find out who he is.

It was a joke. Unblock me, Wessex.

I made it 100% clear that Robbie Earle is a legend here for the BPL games on TV in the states.

We love R.E.

I haven't blocked you. I like what you post. Why hate on me so much? 99% of The U'sual hasn't blocked me. It's just me, Pete, here forever on various sites as we moved from site to site.

Pete is Pete. "No one who knows anything about football should have to google Robbie Earle to find out who he is."

Robbie is on our TV every week.Thank you.Good grief.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 22:07 - Feb 29 with 1766 viewsLeadbelly

1) I'll come clean and admit Colchester is my second team, first love being Leeds Utd. Started watching the Us the season after we returned from the Conference. Been a season ticket holder for around 20 years.
2) Not sure we could do much worse in terms of results and league position. Records have been broken and more may follow. Safe to say pre-season expectations have not been met.
3) If we don't finish bottom it will be a miracle.
4) Difficult to pick a danger man at the moment. Macauley Bonne works very hard and has potential but doesn't start regularly, which is a pity. Oduwa, on loan from Spurs, may be dangerous but we've only seen a brief appearance as a sub so not sure yet.
5) Kevin Keen's first game was at home on Boxing Day and he still hasn't overseen a league win. Jury still out for me.
6) Apart from the chairman, Robbie Cowling, I don't know anyone on the board. Not sure they would have much of a say anyway. I don't get involved in anything beyond first team games due to work commitments even though the club seems to be involved in a lot of community work etc.
7) Hands up...I struggle to recognise half of our squad these days so really can't comment on Port Vale players.
8) I did see the game in October. It was our last league win and now seems a very long time ago. Nothing really stands out...other than we won!
9) Again, memory does not serve me well here. Mickey Adams has been at both clubs but he didn't do anything special in North East Essex.
10) As our goal difference is appalling we could do with winning by at least 40 clear goals. Realistically, we just need a win so I'll say Port Vale 1 Us 2, Colchester goals from Porter (he owes us for the sitter he missed on Saturday) and Bonne (if he plays)

Keep up the good work and best of luck after Saturday.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 05:17 - Mar 1 with 1733 viewsBarsidepete

We get Gary Lineker too on NBC. Leicester, Barca, Spurs.

Us US fans of football don't live in a van down by the river. Socca, easily the fastest growing sport of them all.

It's on NBC, BeIN, ESPN, GolTV, Univision. You could completely overdose on footy any given weekend. Come on hols one week to the states. You may not leave your hotel room

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 16:57 - Mar 1 with 1692 viewsjonestones

What happens if you block someone? Do you still read their posts in the forum or are their contributions just filtered out?
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:21 - Mar 1 with 1679 viewsBarsidepete

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 16:57 - Mar 1 by jonestones

What happens if you block someone? Do you still read their posts in the forum or are their contributions just filtered out?

Actually, if you're not signed in then that person's posts will still appear. Otherwise it says "blocked user"to a comment when you are logged in.

Based on Wessex's comment, he's clearly unblocked me by now.

I have no one here blocked. Concord and I are the only US-based posters, unless I'm mistaken. My replies to the 10 questions were meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I KNOW who Robbie Earle is.

I don't know what else to add. There will be another NFL PL beginning September. And I'm the admin of the Happy (Grumpy) Cup 2016/17. If you block me then obviously you won't know what the fixtures are.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:58 - Mar 2 with 1635 viewsRobbie_Earles_Perm

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the contribution towards the thread. I will be using Leadbelly's contribution.

I am indeed as Noah4x4, and a few others have stated, a genuine contributor to the footballing community and like to keep the questions relatively generic so I don't offend anyone, it seems I have failed slightly in this case!

Anyway thanks again and shame on anyone who didn't actually know of the legend that is Robbie Earle. As he's my hero it should be quite easy to work out my actual age isn't 16!!

Look forward to asking similar generic questions next season when you avoid the drop after losing to us but winning all your remaining games :)
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 18:31 - Mar 2 with 1620 viewsjonestones

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:21 - Mar 1 by Barsidepete

Actually, if you're not signed in then that person's posts will still appear. Otherwise it says "blocked user"to a comment when you are logged in.

Based on Wessex's comment, he's clearly unblocked me by now.

I have no one here blocked. Concord and I are the only US-based posters, unless I'm mistaken. My replies to the 10 questions were meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I KNOW who Robbie Earle is.

I don't know what else to add. There will be another NFL PL beginning September. And I'm the admin of the Happy (Grumpy) Cup 2016/17. If you block me then obviously you won't know what the fixtures are.

Maybe that is a necessary sacrifice? I'm not interested in the NFL PL or Happy Cup next year anyway.

I'm not meaning to sound out of place here Pete, but I just find your comments a little insensitive sometimes Barside.

Each to their own I suppose.
Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 18:33 - Mar 2 with 1619 viewsjonestones

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Colchester on 17:58 - Mar 2 by Robbie_Earles_Perm

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the contribution towards the thread. I will be using Leadbelly's contribution.

I am indeed as Noah4x4, and a few others have stated, a genuine contributor to the footballing community and like to keep the questions relatively generic so I don't offend anyone, it seems I have failed slightly in this case!

Anyway thanks again and shame on anyone who didn't actually know of the legend that is Robbie Earle. As he's my hero it should be quite easy to work out my actual age isn't 16!!

Look forward to asking similar generic questions next season when you avoid the drop after losing to us but winning all your remaining games :)

You've nothing to worry about REP, I doubt anyone else who read your questions were offended. Good luck for the rest of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024