Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to gain more local support? 11:22 - Mar 26 with 9419 viewsade_qpr

Part of Neil's answer in the Success thread by Frankie got me thinking

"From here, re-integrating into the local community is vital and needs to be tapped into. There needs to be a focus on ensuring the surrounding areas feel part of this, and that QPR are interested in them and vice versa. There are plenty of people locally now who have no interest in QPR and that has to change back to how it was before.

Finding that local spirit again will help the club build on its supporter base organically. Those people will take more interest and pride in their club and hopefully that translates back throughout the club who can then take pride in itself properly as an institution. That in turn will help the club build on its history in a proud manner, not a shameful one, as it has done for some time now. "

So what area's of London now days do people believe have strong support of the R's?
What area's should the club be looking at to develop further support for the R's?
How should the club go about this?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Where to gain more local support? on 13:34 - Mar 28 with 1963 viewssuperhoopdownunder

I have got quite a few Aussies (around a dozen over 18 years) that have moved to London to support QPR.
They are still supporting the team regardless of the highs and lows.

We could or should partner with other teams

Liverpool have an agreement with the biggest team here Melbourne Victory (I would say 500k supporters and 26k season ticket holders)
When Liverpool and Melbourne Victory played a couple of years ago the crowd was nearly 100k for a friendly!!!
and Man City own Melbourne City (much smaller team - third the size of Victory) Man City bought them for only around 12m AUD (6m GBP)
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 13:46]
Where to gain more local support? on 14:42 - Mar 28 with 1934 viewsisawqpratwcity

Where to gain more local support? on 13:34 - Mar 28 by superhoopdownunder

I have got quite a few Aussies (around a dozen over 18 years) that have moved to London to support QPR.
They are still supporting the team regardless of the highs and lows.

We could or should partner with other teams

Liverpool have an agreement with the biggest team here Melbourne Victory (I would say 500k supporters and 26k season ticket holders)
When Liverpool and Melbourne Victory played a couple of years ago the crowd was nearly 100k for a friendly!!!
and Man City own Melbourne City (much smaller team - third the size of Victory) Man City bought them for only around 12m AUD (6m GBP)
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 13:46]

500k? How do you get that figure?

I think of QPR when I see Western Sydney Wanderers as their first strip is the 'Dennis the Menace' top. That they pair it with white shorts is just fcking appalling.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Where to gain more local support? on 14:54 - Mar 28 with 1926 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Melbourne has around 5 million people living there
Nearly all love sport
Probably 15% like football - only 2 teams
Average crowd of around 26,000
Highest around 95k - quite a few around or above 50k
Facebook around 200k likes
(QPR have 700k likes)
A lot of people (including many I know) only go 1 game a season
They are supporters too

I agree Western Sydney Wanderers are a bit like QPR - the underdog with good support
Where to gain more local support? on 15:12 - Mar 28 with 1907 viewsisawqpratwcity

Where to gain more local support? on 14:54 - Mar 28 by superhoopdownunder

Melbourne has around 5 million people living there
Nearly all love sport
Probably 15% like football - only 2 teams
Average crowd of around 26,000
Highest around 95k - quite a few around or above 50k
Facebook around 200k likes
(QPR have 700k likes)
A lot of people (including many I know) only go 1 game a season
They are supporters too

I agree Western Sydney Wanderers are a bit like QPR - the underdog with good support

Fair enough. I suppose that support is the rest of the iceberg compared to the gate forming the tip.

Tbf, WSW did win the Asian Champions League in 2014, but they've won embarrassingly few games since. Definitely a twinning club candidate.

Where to gain more local support? on 15:36 - Mar 28 with 1884 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Where to gain more local support? on 15:12 - Mar 28 by isawqpratwcity

Fair enough. I suppose that support is the rest of the iceberg compared to the gate forming the tip.

Tbf, WSW did win the Asian Champions League in 2014, but they've won embarrassingly few games since. Definitely a twinning club candidate.

Huge achievement for Western Sydney Wanderers

They fight above their size for sure
Where to gain more local support? on 15:47 - Mar 28 with 1876 viewsBrightonhoop

Where to gain more local support? on 14:15 - Mar 26 by Northernr

Also disagree with this. Every kid is different and I'm sure some do genuinely want to support Chelsea or whoever because they win every week. But in my experience boys want to go to the match with their dads and be one of the lads, and then when they get into teens they want to go with their mates and be the new lads. When I was at school the ones who supported Man Utd were the ones either without dads, without dads that liked football or without dads that would take them to football. The lads whose dads took them to see Hull, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Doncaster, Leeds, Sheff Wed supported those sides as I supported QPR. I don't think it was the dad making them - it certainly wasn't with me, I just wanted to go on the train with him and his mates on Saturday and feel like a grown up.

Michael Hann wrote a great piece about taking his lad to QPR games for the Family section of the Guardian a couple of months back. I shall see if I can find it...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/24/my-son-football-fan-qpr

This post has been edited by an administrator

Lovely article that, not seen it before.
Where to gain more local support? on 16:14 - Mar 28 with 1858 viewsBoston

I'm still recovering from the night of the Oldham semi, when, walking past 52 Bloemfontein Rd, I saw a large Chelsea flag displayed in the front window. Fortunately there are always loose bricks around in London.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 16:15]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Where to gain more local support? on 16:19 - Mar 28 with 1853 viewsfrancisbowles

When I posted about twinning, tbh I was thinking of a little nearer than Australia! I do value and the club should value support, wherever it comes from and in whatever form and there may be some benefits to long distance twinning.

However, if we are talking about increasing 'bums on seats' then the vast majority would be coming from Europe and the North African countries, possibly the Arab countries and North America.
Login to get fewer ads

Where to gain more local support? on 16:28 - Mar 28 with 1847 viewsisawqpratwcity

Where to gain more local support? on 16:19 - Mar 28 by francisbowles

When I posted about twinning, tbh I was thinking of a little nearer than Australia! I do value and the club should value support, wherever it comes from and in whatever form and there may be some benefits to long distance twinning.

However, if we are talking about increasing 'bums on seats' then the vast majority would be coming from Europe and the North African countries, possibly the Arab countries and North America.

Look at the benefits, when an Aussie stays in London, he is inevitably 15 minutes tops from Loftus Road!

Where to gain more local support? on 17:53 - Mar 28 with 1811 viewsBoston

Where to gain more local support? on 16:28 - Mar 28 by isawqpratwcity

Look at the benefits, when an Aussie stays in London, he is inevitably 15 minutes tops from Loftus Road!

....or in a barge on the Thames estuary.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Where to gain more local support? on 18:02 - Mar 28 with 1801 viewsTGRRRSSS

Also need more focus on South/East Bucks intowards Hertfordshire and London fringes of Surrey and East Berkshire, Living as I do in Berks there are many old London overspil families and East of Reading places like Bracknell, Maidenhead, Slough and the like hasmore of a London feel which Reading FC for instance has never truly been able to get a hold of.
Living round here I do see Fakes Shirts but considering they are the only Professional Team in the County who have done Premier League and generally do ok in Champ they've never in my view captured the area as thye perhaps ought to have done.
Not entirely sure why but I suspect because most people out here are more Londoners than truly local Berkshire people.
In the end though to grow your fanbase you need good facilities, a side than wins mostly and profile, we are higher profile than your average club considering our size we could make more of our location (Close to West End) handy for trains, tubes etc, but we only have 18K (which when you take away away allocation if 15-16.5K odd I suspect.

Fascinating thread BTW.
Where to gain more local support? on 18:36 - Mar 28 with 1782 viewsPunteR

Where to gain more local support? on 18:02 - Mar 28 by TGRRRSSS

Also need more focus on South/East Bucks intowards Hertfordshire and London fringes of Surrey and East Berkshire, Living as I do in Berks there are many old London overspil families and East of Reading places like Bracknell, Maidenhead, Slough and the like hasmore of a London feel which Reading FC for instance has never truly been able to get a hold of.
Living round here I do see Fakes Shirts but considering they are the only Professional Team in the County who have done Premier League and generally do ok in Champ they've never in my view captured the area as thye perhaps ought to have done.
Not entirely sure why but I suspect because most people out here are more Londoners than truly local Berkshire people.
In the end though to grow your fanbase you need good facilities, a side than wins mostly and profile, we are higher profile than your average club considering our size we could make more of our location (Close to West End) handy for trains, tubes etc, but we only have 18K (which when you take away away allocation if 15-16.5K odd I suspect.

Fascinating thread BTW.

I think there's a lot of Rangers in Bracknell considering the location. A lot of Reading fans i know actually support other clubs but got on the bandwagon when Reading became premier league. Fake fans as well.
QPR could definitely "capture" the area ,doing things in schools or doing their own soccer schools.
I have seen Reading fc advertised on backs of buses in Bracknell,used to make me laugh seeing Leigertwood on the back of the 121. It wouldn't be a bad idea if we did the same sort of thing though.
Selling our shirts and merchandise in the local Sports direct shop wouldn't be a bad idea either imo.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Where to gain more local support? on 21:30 - Mar 28 with 1749 viewslondonscottish

Where to gain more local support? on 18:36 - Mar 28 by PunteR

I think there's a lot of Rangers in Bracknell considering the location. A lot of Reading fans i know actually support other clubs but got on the bandwagon when Reading became premier league. Fake fans as well.
QPR could definitely "capture" the area ,doing things in schools or doing their own soccer schools.
I have seen Reading fc advertised on backs of buses in Bracknell,used to make me laugh seeing Leigertwood on the back of the 121. It wouldn't be a bad idea if we did the same sort of thing though.
Selling our shirts and merchandise in the local Sports direct shop wouldn't be a bad idea either imo.

Yeah and the odd ad in the Standard/billboard on Ladbroke Grove wouldn't harm.

Spam have regularly used ads in the Standard to encourage people to sign up for certain games/ticket offers.

And Fulham have used billboards in NW10.

All part of the mix but probably not cheap.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Where to gain more local support? on 00:16 - Mar 29 with 1710 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Where to gain more local support? on 18:36 - Mar 28 by PunteR

Closer to home I would target inner West London all the way out west as far as Reading as many of our supporters are based out in places like Ruislip, Uxbridge, Slough and Reading

U R's
Where to gain more local support? on 06:40 - Mar 29 with 1677 viewsbillericaydicky

Where to gain more local support? on 17:23 - Mar 26 by Northernr

He's eight.

On FIFA does Rooney wear all black and carry a whistle?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024