Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Expectations... 09:07 - May 10 with 1623 viewsColukev

It would be nice to hear from the club on what targets have been set for next year. I know it's early but after such a torrid season and being relegated, the one sentence I think every U's fan wants to hear is that we are targeting promotion at first go.

We should have some decent pull in recruitment of players as I think generally we should be perceived as a front runner to have a good season.

Johnny M has said this morning they have 6-7 players they want to get tied up quickly within the next few weeks.

I'd like to think this is a real statement of intent, but seems to be no firm note of fight from anyone at the club just yet.

Out of interest, where do you guys think we should be aiming for next season?

I cannot look past what my heart is telling me, and that we have to have a real go at the top 3. I fear failure to go up first season will leave us trapped and acclimatised to what is the basement of the football league. The day that happens will be when the conference is tapping us on the shoulder, and every season is about looking down rather than up.
Expectations... on 09:28 - May 10 with 1613 viewsAFCMorant

Look at the four who went down last season, apart from Leyton Orient who finished 8th the other three finished 18, 19 and 20th.
We will struggle and be lucky to be in top half.
If we finish in the top three I'll eat my pants.
(No subject) (n/t) (n/t) on 09:39 - May 10 with 1607 viewsColukev

Expectations... on 09:28 - May 10 by AFCMorant

Look at the four who went down last season, apart from Leyton Orient who finished 8th the other three finished 18, 19 and 20th.

[Post edited 10 May 2016 9:40]
Expectations... on 09:40 - May 10 with 1607 viewsColukev

I get that, but I'm pointing on more of the target rather than actual performance. Orient would surely have been aiming for automatic promotion back at the first attempt
Expectations... on 11:09 - May 10 with 1587 viewswessex_exile

Expectations... on 09:40 - May 10 by Colukev

I get that, but I'm pointing on more of the target rather than actual performance. Orient would surely have been aiming for automatic promotion back at the first attempt

I am sure in due course aspirational words will come out of WHCS regarding our ambitions for next year, though as these things are often used as a stick to then beat the club with, I can forgive them for being wary of doing so. Personally, given it's been a while since we've been in the basement, so it's going to be a bit of an uncertain feast (and there are some good and big clubs in League 2 as well), I'd hope for automatic promotion, but at the very least expect us to mount a decent challenge for the play-offs.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Expectations... on 12:33 - May 10 with 1571 viewsnoah4x4

Having recently watched Wimbledon v Portsmouth, I would like to think promotion is feasible. Was a dry evening, yet these two sides (now in the L2 Play Offs) bypassed their midfields with the most awful hoofball.

Our rivals ought to be Blackpool and Donny, that also try to play superior football. My fear is can we defend against thugs that muscle and lob the ball goalward? Our away performances against Shrewsbury, Bury and Burton might suggest not.
Expectations... on 13:37 - May 10 with 1558 viewsLeadbelly

A target and an expectation may be one and the same thing but they can also be two very different things. It is also highly likely that my target and expectation for next season may be a world away from those of the club.

Our target has to be a playoff place as a bare minimum. Do I expect that? I'm afraid not. I think Noah is wise in pointing out the more physical nature of League 2. There were times on sunday and throughout this season when I wondered whether any of our players are prepared to make tackles or ensure they are first to the ball when it needs heading away from danger. Player recruitment will be crucial, starting at the back I would suggest.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Expectations... on 14:59 - May 10 with 1540 viewsAFCMorant

Expectations... on 09:40 - May 10 by Colukev

Well I'm assuming that our target will be, should be automatic promotion; as goes for all the relegated teams. The club are unlikely to start the season with an announcement that our target is to finish 5th from bottom!
Expectations... (n/t) on 16:43 - May 10 with 1517 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024