Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standard of Division Two Refereeing 14:38 - Oct 17 with 946 viewsnoah4x4

This weekend, I saw Doncaster v U's (live) then Saints v Burnley (live); then (TV) Match of the Day. It might be just my opinion, but referees seem to be applying completely different standards. Shall we debate....?

The level of shirt pulling, blatant pushing and other skullduggery that goes unpunished in League Two is ruining the game. Both Newport and Donny were shocking. It's small wonder Chris Porter doesn't have a neck injury and a ripped shirt. The U's were also denied a clear penalty in both. But are the U's just "too nice"? Do we not roll about, dive and cheat enough? Both Newport and Donny had defensive thugs on a yellow card that might have later seen second yellow/red, but the referee bottled it. At Carlisle the ball-boys were a disgrace too. I would yellow card them too and "send any manager to the stand" and fine the club after two misdemeanours by obviously coached blatent time wasting ball-boys.

Yet in the above Premiership match at St Marys referee Mike Dean, who has awarded more penalties than any other in the Premiere League since 2015-16 (19), had evidently made it quite clear he was having "no nonsence". True to form, he awarded two penalties. But the absence of shirt pulling, holding and cheating was pretty obvious to me and to my companions that saw these same games. Admittedly MOTD is only highlights. But my impression is that most Premiership referees are not afraid of awarding yellow cards; red cards and penalties. Yet in Division Two it's a lottery.

But to some extent I wonder is it OUR own (fans) fault? The level of abuse heaped on referees (and players) in Division Two is appalling. The difference is that amid small crowds this highly personal abuse can be heard. In the Premiership whilst collective boos can be heard, the most horrible personal abuse that is in abundance at our level is largely obscured. I personally think our typically skilful players deserve far more protection from referees, or "is it a man's game"?

Views?

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 15:43 - Oct 17 with 937 viewsLeadbelly

During my occasional trips to Elland Road there is never any lack of vitriol aimed at officials, often coordinated and always loud. I'm quite sure they can hear what is being said but I don't believe they are swayed by this in any way.

Officials in the lower levels aren't as good as those in the PL but they are not all useless (nor are all those in the top flight "good") It's a thankless task but luckily there are people prepared to do it.

I'm not saying that I will never question a referee's or linesman's decision ever again but I don't think I get so wound up by obvious errors any more. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm getting older or, as I suspect, I'm actually starting to lose interest in what happens to Col U. That may be fuel for another debate...if I can be bothered!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 17:53 - Oct 17 with 920 viewsdurham_exile

In truth Noah, the standard of refereeing in the so called EFL is lacklustre.

At Carlisle the thing that annoyed me was the towel thrown to the Carlisle players before each throw in and particularly before a long throw.

The ball boys were probably worse at Donny particularly on the left side when we were attacking second half and the balls were either not thrown back or with considerable delay.

The poor decisions I have grown to virtually accept, it appears to be part and parcel of the standard of the officials. What is really annoying however is the time wasting by opposition players.

The time is never added on and on saturday the referee should have taken action against the Donny keeper but was loathed to do so.

I am not convinced that we should have had a penalty on Saturday, but of course there have been many occasions when we should have been given a spot kick.

I only watch Colchester games live now, although I do see football on TV but this is mainly selective because I cannot get to excited if Colchester are not on the box!

Never mind the officials we need three points so badly this weekend!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 18:00 - Oct 17 with 920 viewsbwildered

Watched parts of then Palace v WHU at the weekend, first thought was that it was more rugby than football in places (Would be interested to watch a no tolerance game and see how many remain ).
Sorry to say that antics are becoming predictable at all level s, but football seems to reward players & clubs in taking one for the team more than any other sport .
To become a PL ref, is now a career in itself were the elite progress up the pyramid, so D2 should not fair any better or worse than any other level logically.
Every game is televised now so all injustices are highlighted than ever before .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 08:42 - Oct 18 with 891 viewsAFCMorant

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 17:53 - Oct 17 by durham_exile

In truth Noah, the standard of refereeing in the so called EFL is lacklustre.

At Carlisle the thing that annoyed me was the towel thrown to the Carlisle players before each throw in and particularly before a long throw.

The ball boys were probably worse at Donny particularly on the left side when we were attacking second half and the balls were either not thrown back or with considerable delay.

The poor decisions I have grown to virtually accept, it appears to be part and parcel of the standard of the officials. What is really annoying however is the time wasting by opposition players.

The time is never added on and on saturday the referee should have taken action against the Donny keeper but was loathed to do so.

I am not convinced that we should have had a penalty on Saturday, but of course there have been many occasions when we should have been given a spot kick.

I only watch Colchester games live now, although I do see football on TV but this is mainly selective because I cannot get to excited if Colchester are not on the box!

Never mind the officials we need three points so badly this weekend!!!!

Up the U's

Ha, ha yes, the ball boys looked like they had some serious fatigue syndrome. Still not up to the best (in terms of slowness) remember the ones at Wrexham when lost 3-2 the year we went down to the Conference. They looked like gnomes sitting on toadstools.
I didn't think the referee at Donny was any worse than others I've seen away this season.
Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 10:31 - Oct 18 with 883 viewsnoah4x4

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 08:42 - Oct 18 by AFCMorant

Ha, ha yes, the ball boys looked like they had some serious fatigue syndrome. Still not up to the best (in terms of slowness) remember the ones at Wrexham when lost 3-2 the year we went down to the Conference. They looked like gnomes sitting on toadstools.
I didn't think the referee at Donny was any worse than others I've seen away this season.

"No worse", but don't we warrant better refereeing?

My point is the general standard of refereeing isn't comparable with higher divisions. Hence managers, players and yes, ball-boys can cheat and get away with daylight robbery in Division Two, where we are simply too nice.
Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 21:00 - Oct 18 with 855 viewsLeadbelly

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 10:31 - Oct 18 by noah4x4

My point is the general standard of refereeing isn't comparable with higher divisions. Hence managers, players and yes, ball-boys can cheat and get away with daylight robbery in Division Two, where we are simply too nice.

I had a long chat with an Orient fan this afternoon. We concluded the officiating in L2 is poor but the football is worse.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 08:16 - Oct 21 with 821 viewsAFCMorant

Standard of Division Two Refereeing on 10:31 - Oct 18 by noah4x4

Sounds a bit like the Donald Trump argument, blame everyone else for your own failings. Referees are crap in L2 we know that, that's why they aren't reffing in the Prem. They are crap for all teams not just us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024