Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A programme within a programme.....er... what? 11:49 - Oct 19 with 409 viewsnoah4x4

I don't collect programmes, so I never usually buy one on a match day; that is until last Saturday when a pal asked me to get him one from the Keepmoat Stadium. Whilst he has paid for it I had a sneaky peak.....

£3 for something apparently just as thick as a U's programme does seems par for the course; but then inside, I discovered that 50% of its content was a replica of the (40p) Donny versus U's programme in the equivalent Canon Division Four fixture of 1983.

OK, some people do like reading such nostalgic stuff (but an entire programme?????). It seems to me to be a pretty lazy way of padding out 2016 content to justify 2016 pricing. Would such practice be welcomed by U's programme collectors if regularly mirrored at WHCS?

But my mind then turned to value for money. If you apply the rate of inflation applicable since 1983 to its then £0.40 price the price of that original programme today should be merely £1.28. How times have changed! £3.00 is more normal today.

So let's compare the quality of the content of the 1983 programme to the (IMHO) rather hastily and weakly produced 2016 content that was wrapped around it. Frankly, I though the latter was largely marketing and promotional drivel and I much prefer the more factual format of 1983.

So if the value of the 1983 insert is £1.28 in today's money; was the 2016 content wrapped around it worth £1.72 to make up the current £3.00? Frankly, I thought it was overall pretty awful, but is this likely to be a trend mimicked by other clubs (e.g. padding out new programmes with old)?

Would programme collectors that were not around in (say) 1983 welcome finding a 1983 replica in today's programme? Might it even foster "fakes"? After all. if you remove the poor outer 2016 'wrapper' the gullible might pay silly money to acquire an apparently mint copy of a rare or notably interesting programme!

I just thought that our programme collectors out their might have some interesting comments... or might there be a rush to try to sell Matt Hudson copies of your old (pre-cold war) programmes so he can replicate our glory years?
A programme within a programme.....er... what? on 13:40 - Oct 19 with 396 viewsLeadbelly

I don't buy them or read them and certainly don't collect them. Even though the Us programme is emailed to me I've yet to even open one of them. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that it will be old news and adverts.

Difficult for me to see value for money in anything I neither want nor need but something that is mainly a rehash of old material certainly doesn't seem like a good but to me.

Bit like a band releasing an album full of previously released songs along with one new track that won't be available anywhere else. They know the completists will have to buy stuff they already have just for the one new track. very poor.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

A programme within a programme.....er... what? on 17:04 - Oct 19 with 384 viewsbwildered

The big question Noah, is did you rush down the local public house for advertised 1980's prices included in publication ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

A programme within a programme.....er... what? on 20:35 - Oct 19 with 372 viewsdurham_exile

A programme within a programme.....er... what? on 17:04 - Oct 19 by bwildered

The big question Noah, is did you rush down the local public house for advertised 1980's prices included in publication ?

The Carlisle programme was only £2.50 and particularly good value.

All clubs include historical content and normally a potted history of results against the opposition that they are facing.

The next time I venture behind the filing cabinet in the understairs cupboard I will check on my programme collection!!!

I have programmes from every year that I have supported the U's.

I have to say that contrary to other contributors, I find the programmes essential reading.

Donny also had a fanzine for £2 not as good as Tranmere Rovers (which is outstanding) but worth a gander.

On average I spend about £45 on programmes over the course of a season, so it is not in any way excessive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

A programme within a programme.....er... what? on 21:16 - Oct 19 with 364 viewsbwildered

The match day magazine, although essentially a programme, losses it's identity with a different front cover picture every week , whereas a programme front with a particular design instantly guided you to a previous season .
Can remember the Football Review with it's team photo inside the back page !
Are football fanzines still common around the country or are they been replaced by website forums ... Eg The U'sual ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024