Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has the football bubble burst? 09:16 - Nov 12 with 7420 viewsHonkytonks

For me the sky money invested game i once loved with a passion has now reached its pinnicle and is on a noticeable downwards spiral...last nights 'aukd enemy' battle.lacked real atmosphere from both sets of fans and this has mirrored at our club over the last few years....or is it the new breed of lower middle class'fans" who just jumped on the 'footie' is trendy bandwagon s few years back as the low earn true fans were priced out of the game?..the hundreds,if not thousands of empty red seats when the second half started and a good 15 minutes before full time was shocking to see...are these people true 'fans'?
Has the football bubble burst? on 12:17 - Nov 12 with 6134 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

International football is crap anyway. Our club has been in the doldrums for ages - two promotions to the pen didn't help matters and we are at a pretty low ebb. Maybe the truth of Ollie will arrest that malaise which hangs over us (with any luck!) and we will all be a lot more positive about the game being beautiful again! One can hope, anyway!
Has the football bubble burst? on 12:38 - Nov 12 with 6109 viewsRanger78

Interesting points.

It's difficult not to be disillusioned with how football has gone, there is so much to dislike.

Having said that, I took my boys to Wembley last night, £20 for an adult ticket, £10 for kids. You can't complain about those prices, we had a great time and no matter how bad things seem to be, there we're still 85 000 people there.

Overall, money is clearly changing / ruining football. It's obviously generally more expensive to watch but I thing the biggest decline is due to the standard of entertainment that gets served up, pretty much anywhere.

Sadly, because the money is so important and there is so much at stake, we now have the phenomenon of teams trying "not to lose" rather than win and it's horrible to watch!!

Even if you get an Aresenal or City with wonderful players and passing, you get the other team ruining the spectacle. It's the same at international football and the lower leagues.

We don't even see good top 4 games on Sky any more, because one team always cancels the other out.

So I don't necessarily think it's the cost of watching football that sends fans away and ruins the atmosphere but it's the money pressure clubs are under. The mangers are just too scared to loose... I bet players hate it..... you've dreamt of playing in the PL all your life but all you get told to do is sit back and Park the bus !!
[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 13:08]
Has the football bubble burst? on 13:04 - Nov 12 with 6060 viewsHonkytonks

Has the football bubble burst? on 12:38 - Nov 12 by Ranger78

Interesting points.

It's difficult not to be disillusioned with how football has gone, there is so much to dislike.

Having said that, I took my boys to Wembley last night, £20 for an adult ticket, £10 for kids. You can't complain about those prices, we had a great time and no matter how bad things seem to be, there we're still 85 000 people there.

Overall, money is clearly changing / ruining football. It's obviously generally more expensive to watch but I thing the biggest decline is due to the standard of entertainment that gets served up, pretty much anywhere.

Sadly, because the money is so important and there is so much at stake, we now have the phenomenon of teams trying "not to lose" rather than win and it's horrible to watch!!

Even if you get an Aresenal or City with wonderful players and passing, you get the other team ruining the spectacle. It's the same at international football and the lower leagues.

We don't even see good top 4 games on Sky any more, because one team always cancels the other out.

So I don't necessarily think it's the cost of watching football that sends fans away and ruins the atmosphere but it's the money pressure clubs are under. The mangers are just too scared to loose... I bet players hate it..... you've dreamt of playing in the PL all your life but all you get told to do is sit back and Park the bus !!
[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 13:08]

Very good post old chap
Has the football bubble burst? on 13:14 - Nov 13 with 5780 viewsrobith

Don't want to quote it again and break the page, but Rangers78 has nailed it getting to the real hub about how money has changed the sport.

There's so much at stake it has definitely forced a change in tactical approach (unless you have a once in a lifetime squad like Barca 08-13, but even then most of that team was the Spain team and they used the same style ultra defensively).

But then money has also created a paradox. On the one hand it has driven professionalism to new heights. Every club in even League One will have a sub to Opta data, a sports scientist, nutritionist etc. The explosion of data in the last few years has enhanced coaching beyond belief. It means beyond the elite few the rest become more and more similar in ability, fitness, tactical awareness making errors the main source of victory.

But at the extra end it has created a monopoly. Broadly speaking the same 30 odd teams qualify for the Champions League every year concentrating the new wealth of the game in the hands of very very few. In smaller leagues this has given certain domination. Take Celtic, especially now with no Rangers to challenge them. Scrape to the group stages every year, unlock wealth the rest of the SPL can only dream off, rinse the league, repeat. The same the continent over, and spreading to the larger leagues - Spain, even Germany. Only the huge swathes of foreign cash in the Prem keep it vaguely competitive. But even when someone breaks the mould it's downplayed as it's financially damaging. I thought we'd never hear the end of the magic of Leicester winning, but it's almost been brushed over. Why? Well, they've not followed it up, but also lower viewing figures in the Prem and CL are hurting broadcasters. Get Man Utd back in there plz.
Has the football bubble burst? on 14:19 - Nov 13 with 5725 viewsToast_R

Has the football bubble burst? on 13:14 - Nov 13 by robith

Don't want to quote it again and break the page, but Rangers78 has nailed it getting to the real hub about how money has changed the sport.

There's so much at stake it has definitely forced a change in tactical approach (unless you have a once in a lifetime squad like Barca 08-13, but even then most of that team was the Spain team and they used the same style ultra defensively).

But then money has also created a paradox. On the one hand it has driven professionalism to new heights. Every club in even League One will have a sub to Opta data, a sports scientist, nutritionist etc. The explosion of data in the last few years has enhanced coaching beyond belief. It means beyond the elite few the rest become more and more similar in ability, fitness, tactical awareness making errors the main source of victory.

But at the extra end it has created a monopoly. Broadly speaking the same 30 odd teams qualify for the Champions League every year concentrating the new wealth of the game in the hands of very very few. In smaller leagues this has given certain domination. Take Celtic, especially now with no Rangers to challenge them. Scrape to the group stages every year, unlock wealth the rest of the SPL can only dream off, rinse the league, repeat. The same the continent over, and spreading to the larger leagues - Spain, even Germany. Only the huge swathes of foreign cash in the Prem keep it vaguely competitive. But even when someone breaks the mould it's downplayed as it's financially damaging. I thought we'd never hear the end of the magic of Leicester winning, but it's almost been brushed over. Why? Well, they've not followed it up, but also lower viewing figures in the Prem and CL are hurting broadcasters. Get Man Utd back in there plz.

I think BT ruined the CL for the neutrals. I used to like watching the odd match in the knock out stages but since ITV and Sky f@cked it off, it will cost me another £27 on top of my already expensive Sky package to get it. Am I going to pay that? Am I bollocks.
I can't get BT internet where I live so there is no way I can watch it inexpensively.

There must be lots of people in the same boat. I think its a massive cock up from UEFA
[Post edited 13 Nov 2016 14:20]
Has the football bubble burst? on 15:18 - Nov 13 with 5671 viewsthemodfather

some good points made, for me the money is killing the game, it means over paid average players whose arrogance knows no bounds and that's recent.
poxy sky moving games to silly times and days....prices rose driving many away.
the england v scotland game had few tackles and no in yer face stuff,this fixture is famous for. turn up, sit down, clap and cheers a goal then leave!
Has the football bubble burst? on 16:40 - Nov 13 with 5614 viewsTacticalR

'Figures suggesting a decline in early season ratings have prompted an outbreak of soul‑searching at those broadcasters and head‑scratching among analysts. Early season ratings for live Premier League matches on Sky Sports are down by a fifth. On one particular Tuesday, BT Sport’s Champions League figures were down by 40%. Could the unthinkable be happening? Could fans finally be turning off? This has coincided with more deep-seated fears in the US, where NFL coverage, for which broadcasters and cable carriers have collectively shelled out more than $50bn for rights into the early 2020s, has suffered a double-digit decline in viewers this season.'

There is a complex picture beneath figures that show a marked decline in early season football viewing figures, and the big broadcasters must work out if this is a blip or a trend
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/sky-sports-bt-sport-people-swit

Air hostess clique

Has the football bubble burst? on 00:52 - Nov 14 with 5447 viewsJuzzie

"I wish it could be Christmas every day" sang Wizzard.
I'm sure the most excitable 10 year old would get bored if that were the case.

Football is oversaturated on TV. There's a live game on everyday these days especially when CL games come around.

They now spread the International qualifiers over at least three days so they can get in as many live games as they can.

If this is the beginning of the end, fine by me. Hopefully in a few years when i can start taking Juzzir jnr to games, the costs will have come down to more normal levels.
Login to get fewer ads

Has the football bubble burst? on 08:36 - Nov 14 with 5335 viewspaulparker

Has the football bubble burst? on 00:52 - Nov 14 by Juzzie

"I wish it could be Christmas every day" sang Wizzard.
I'm sure the most excitable 10 year old would get bored if that were the case.

Football is oversaturated on TV. There's a live game on everyday these days especially when CL games come around.

They now spread the International qualifiers over at least three days so they can get in as many live games as they can.

If this is the beginning of the end, fine by me. Hopefully in a few years when i can start taking Juzzir jnr to games, the costs will have come down to more normal levels.

it has burst if you were a fan growing up in the 70s and 80s
the whole thing is like amercian football or NBA, with average millionaire players
(I mean a scrote like Barton in a 9 million pound house, wtf )
the whole sky sports, wags, hyperbole is just utter bollox
London clubs like arsenal, Chelsea, west ham are now gone they are now brands
man yoo & Liverpool have sold out to the far east
all the stadiums are bowls, all catering to the corporate fan selling popcorn and hotdogs at £9 a go
look at England vs Scotland, a game 30 years ago that you would be talking about for weeks on end , the game hardly got a mention it was played out in a soulless stadium with hardly any passion to it, even the players couldn't be bothered
its all about foreign investment, we are that mad that we would rather play foreign wonderkids than our own , we would rather talk about klopp, the midtable one, conte Wenger, Pep than actually get to the point of saying why the hell is gareth southgate England manager ,
I hope the whole lot goes to sh1t but it wont for another 10 years , even though this is the most boring season ever in terms of entertainment ,
it will go to pop because the next generation of fan isn't coming through, where are the groups of lads from 14 and upwards ? or even those in there twenties ? youngsters today don't need to go to football anymore because its to expensive and you can do better things with your money, besides its all on the box or on the playstation
the only way forward for the game is fans doing a Wimbledon and going AFC

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Has the football bubble burst? on 10:47 - Nov 14 with 5254 viewsbosh67

SKY, The Premiership and The FA to a degree have royally f*cked fans up the a*se. The game was always going to change but they have really taken the p*ss out of average lifelong club fans. The money has become everything, the value for money and entertainment has become nothing. We have a deluge of athletes who generally aren't very good footballers earning so much money that they can't be bothered, or just aren't anywhere near as good as they think. Plus, generally owners and associations who are more interested in using the clubs to further other business ventures or simply use them as a tax write off meeting room. The passion, love and simplicity of the game has gone, along with the value for money and entertainment. TV has particularly f*cked up the beauty of anticipation. Tuesday nights at 7.45pm and 3pm on a Saturday are what football and the religion of football is all about. Not 11.45 and 12.30 on a Sunday, or 8pm on a Friday, to suit the arm chair masses, who don't really want to see the match or care about it anyway. The fans have been screwed by the money in the game.

Apart from that, it's all great.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Has the football bubble burst? on 11:18 - Nov 14 with 5212 viewsrsonist

Maybe this is irrational but the small needling thing that is somehow totally killing my love for the game recently is... unnecessary wearing of away shirts. It's been happening for a few years now but it feel like this season it has really crossed a line into pure obnoxiousness and greedy contempt for the sport. I'm talking Arsenal wearing yellow at Watford, City wearing Double Decker kits at Barcelona, Scotland the other day wearing pink to match England's red socks. Never mind the history and propriety but you actually cannot see what is going on sometimes - can't imagine what it must be like for the partially sighted. Every time it just makes me think, fck these cnts taking us for mugs, I'm not watching this.
Has the football bubble burst? on 13:26 - Nov 14 with 5145 viewsTacticalR

Has the football bubble burst? on 11:18 - Nov 14 by rsonist

Maybe this is irrational but the small needling thing that is somehow totally killing my love for the game recently is... unnecessary wearing of away shirts. It's been happening for a few years now but it feel like this season it has really crossed a line into pure obnoxiousness and greedy contempt for the sport. I'm talking Arsenal wearing yellow at Watford, City wearing Double Decker kits at Barcelona, Scotland the other day wearing pink to match England's red socks. Never mind the history and propriety but you actually cannot see what is going on sometimes - can't imagine what it must be like for the partially sighted. Every time it just makes me think, fck these cnts taking us for mugs, I'm not watching this.

Like clowns at the circus.

Air hostess clique

Has the football bubble burst? on 15:53 - Nov 14 with 5058 viewsrobith

Has the football bubble burst? on 14:19 - Nov 13 by Toast_R

I think BT ruined the CL for the neutrals. I used to like watching the odd match in the knock out stages but since ITV and Sky f@cked it off, it will cost me another £27 on top of my already expensive Sky package to get it. Am I going to pay that? Am I bollocks.
I can't get BT internet where I live so there is no way I can watch it inexpensively.

There must be lots of people in the same boat. I think its a massive cock up from UEFA

There's an interesting part in The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz where he points out that people think a monopoly is where one person/organisations dominates things, but that actually monopolies of 2/3 companies are the very worst as they don't drive competition between the two (certainly not on price at all in this case) and the consumer suffers as they're left out of pocket
Has the football bubble burst? on 16:05 - Nov 14 with 5040 viewsJuzzie

Has the football bubble burst? on 15:53 - Nov 14 by robith

There's an interesting part in The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz where he points out that people think a monopoly is where one person/organisations dominates things, but that actually monopolies of 2/3 companies are the very worst as they don't drive competition between the two (certainly not on price at all in this case) and the consumer suffers as they're left out of pocket

That's a Cartel I think!
Has the football bubble burst? on 16:29 - Nov 14 with 5010 viewsjohncharles

Has the football bubble burst? on 15:53 - Nov 14 by robith

That'll be the Freemasons

Strong and stable my arse.

Has the football bubble burst? on 12:07 - Nov 15 with 4892 viewsPinnerPaul

According to Eve Std (Yes I know!) Harry Kane is looking for an improvement on his recently signed 5 year contract as its "only" a basic of £2.5M a year!

Apparently as Vardy, Benteke etc on much more then Harry wants to revisit it.

Bubble seems pretty intact from those figures quoted in that article!
Has the football bubble burst? on 12:20 - Nov 15 with 4874 viewsCamberleyR

Has the football bubble burst? on 12:07 - Nov 15 by PinnerPaul

According to Eve Std (Yes I know!) Harry Kane is looking for an improvement on his recently signed 5 year contract as its "only" a basic of £2.5M a year!

Apparently as Vardy, Benteke etc on much more then Harry wants to revisit it.

Bubble seems pretty intact from those figures quoted in that article!

This is what really boils my piss, that players like Kane that have been pampered since their early teens at a prem club, have never done a proper day's work in their lives and that in Kane's case seem as thick as two short planks are pissed off that they've only got £2.5 MILLION pounds a year to live on when in reality if they were in the real world they'd be stacking shelves in Tescos or flipping burgers at Maccy Ds.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Has the football bubble burst? on 12:46 - Nov 15 with 4841 viewsPinnerPaul

Has the football bubble burst? on 12:20 - Nov 15 by CamberleyR

This is what really boils my piss, that players like Kane that have been pampered since their early teens at a prem club, have never done a proper day's work in their lives and that in Kane's case seem as thick as two short planks are pissed off that they've only got £2.5 MILLION pounds a year to live on when in reality if they were in the real world they'd be stacking shelves in Tescos or flipping burgers at Maccy Ds.

With you there!
Has the football bubble burst? on 13:32 - Nov 15 with 4809 viewsstowmarketrange

Has the football bubble burst? on 14:19 - Nov 13 by Toast_R

I have BT sport and I still don't watch the Champions league as much as I used to do on Sky.I only want to see the goals and action from the games and that used to be exactly what SSN used to provide.I can't be bothered to sit through hours of programs on BT sports channels for only 5 mins of action.
Has the football bubble burst? on 15:09 - Nov 15 with 4758 viewsBluce_Ree

Football is shite.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Has the football bubble burst? on 22:31 - Nov 15 with 4658 viewsFredManRave

Over 83,000 at Wembley tonight to watch a Southgate "inspired" England play a second string Spain side in a friendly on a Tuesday night in November.

It's a Hubba Bubba bubble that's not bursting any time soon...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Has the football bubble burst? on 09:07 - Nov 18 with 4552 viewsMrSheen

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-17/sky-will-let-some-rights-go-a

Negotiating position or does he mean it? I imagine English Premier League football is about 90% of what Sky pays for rights, but if they mean to save money elsewhere bad for the Football League, critical for Rugby league, worrying for Rugby Union, etc etc. Darts should be OK.
Has the football bubble burst? on 10:09 - Nov 18 with 4520 viewsJuzzie

Has the football bubble burst? on 22:31 - Nov 15 by FredManRave

Over 83,000 at Wembley tonight to watch a Southgate "inspired" England play a second string Spain side in a friendly on a Tuesday night in November.

It's a Hubba Bubba bubble that's not bursting any time soon...

They were cheap tickets. Get's bums on seats.
Has the football bubble burst? on 10:12 - Nov 18 with 4515 viewsSuffolkHoop

Sky are showing too much football, its simple. The product is being spoilt by TV. You can't expect the public to watch ALL THE FOOTBALL ALL THE TIME.
Has the football bubble burst? on 11:24 - Nov 18 with 4487 viewspaulparker

seems its not bursting in China

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3946936/Premier-League-boosted

how long before we get kick offs at 2 am

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024