Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Knee Replacement 02:48 - Nov 27 with 4462 viewsitsbiga

Any one here had one? Wondering what its like. Not bothered about post op all that much but a year later etc... Feels good?
Done my knee again and going in for my 4th Op. 1st was ACL but all the others are cartilage damage and now arthritis. Not even 50 yet! Surgeon has said I need a new one and I tend to agree, I'm seldom without pain and limp a fair bit.
Any of you bionic boys happy with the Steve Austin approach?

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Knee Replacement on 02:57 - Nov 27 with 4457 viewsderbyhoop

A friend had a new knee in July. Best thing he ever did. Pain free within 6 weeks and back at work in 8.

That's French health care for you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Knee Replacement (n/t) on 06:29 - Nov 27 with 4420 viewscyprusmel

My wife had a knee replacement 7 weeks ago and is doing very well, no pain at all. At the moment she has 93% movement in the knee. The doc said he will be happy with 95%
That's Cyprus health care for you.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2016 6:33]
Knee Replacement on 08:06 - Nov 27 with 4378 viewsdavman

The advice I am getting is that knee replacement when you are younger than 50 is not a good option, with dissatisfaction ratings of 40-50% simply becauseba) you eon't be able to be too active with one and b) apparently you can only have two in your life and they last around 10 years each. So, 20 years from the first op, you'll be in a wheelchair.

I have arthritis in the inside of both knees as I have bandy legs and they are getting worse. At the end of January, I am going in for an Osteotomy, or 'leg realignment', where they cut your leg below the knee and stick a bone wedge in to force the leg across.

This should give 10-15 years wearing down the good cartliage on the outside of the knee before we talk knee replacement.

I am 45, so couldn't face being in a wheelchair at 65.

Getting old is really shitty, isn't it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Knee Replacement on 08:13 - Nov 27 with 4370 viewsjeffranger

Yes I've got one & had it for about 4/5 years, feels fine & only thing that hurts is when you kneel on it, nerves so don't advise to do that, in hospital about 3/5 days, the physio's have you up & about next day, it took me 6weeks before I could drive again, they stress exercise at home is a must &gove you a booklet, it's hard work & hurts but must keep at it, leg & knee is all stapled up & it doesn't hurt when they are taken out which is about 2/3 weeks after op usually by your own doctor & leaves a nice scar, good luck!
Knee Replacement on 14:14 - Nov 27 with 4261 viewsqprjeff1882

My Dad had one done about 10 years ago. Been a floor layer so on his knees all his working life and now waiting to have the other one done. He is constantly in excruciating pain with the one that needs doing but his replacement gives him no trouble at all really. Get it done.
Knee Replacement on 15:47 - Nov 27 with 4206 viewsBoston

Knee Replacement on 02:57 - Nov 27 by derbyhoop

A friend had a new knee in July. Best thing he ever did. Pain free within 6 weeks and back at work in 8.

That's French health care for you.

They amputate legs in France, both of 'em so you can't be hopping mad. Then they eat 'em.

That's the Frogs for you.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Knee Replacement on 19:05 - Nov 27 with 4148 viewsbosh67

My mum had her's done some years back. She virtually couldn't walk before the op and it's been fantastic. Has given her her life back.

They get you up and walking very quickly. Be prepared to spend a few weeks thinking, crap, is this going to work, but it will. Keep the faith.

It's a very successful op and will give you a lot back.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Knee Replacement on 19:20 - Nov 27 with 4132 viewsitsbiga

Knee Replacement on 08:06 - Nov 27 by davman

The advice I am getting is that knee replacement when you are younger than 50 is not a good option, with dissatisfaction ratings of 40-50% simply becauseba) you eon't be able to be too active with one and b) apparently you can only have two in your life and they last around 10 years each. So, 20 years from the first op, you'll be in a wheelchair.

I have arthritis in the inside of both knees as I have bandy legs and they are getting worse. At the end of January, I am going in for an Osteotomy, or 'leg realignment', where they cut your leg below the knee and stick a bone wedge in to force the leg across.

This should give 10-15 years wearing down the good cartliage on the outside of the knee before we talk knee replacement.

I am 45, so couldn't face being in a wheelchair at 65.

Getting old is really shitty, isn't it?

Yeah getting old ain't all that.
I have bandy legs too lol, my bad knee has a deformity called 'discoid lateral meniscus' nothing to do with discodroid as far as I know.....
Pretty much means that instead of cup shaped my cartilage is flat so the knee slips all over the shop.
Had to get bleeding glasses this year too.
At least I can still get it up......for now anyway.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Login to get fewer ads

Knee Replacement on 22:32 - Nov 27 with 4057 viewsisawqpratwcity

Knee Replacement on 15:47 - Nov 27 by Boston

They amputate legs in France, both of 'em so you can't be hopping mad. Then they eat 'em.

That's the Frogs for you.

And "Mind Your Language" was the funniest thing on TV...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Knee Replacement on 10:47 - Nov 28 with 3985 viewsChunkyfenwick

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site, please be kind to me.

I'm 48 and I had my 2nd knee replacement this year (right knee) 3 weeks ago, I had the left knee replaced in March. I have also had both of my hips replaced. This is all down to rheumatoid arthritis.

As mentioned before, the recovery can depend on how the op went and also how damaged the knee was before the op.
My first op took 3 hours and the second one an hour and a half.

The pain went after a week or two, and the knee is still very swollen and I feel a bit of discomfort, especially after exercising or physio. Oh and the clips come out after 2-3 weeks.

I was told that the knee replacements I had put in can last between 15 and 20 years, which doesn't seem too bad.

I'm very glad I have had the replacements, as I have a much better quality of life now.
It's a bit of a pain going through metal detectors at airport security though.🙂
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 10:48]
Knee Replacement on 10:55 - Nov 28 with 3976 viewspomanjou

How long knees and hips last depends on the material and the quality used.
there are differences.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Knee Replacement on 12:41 - Nov 28 with 3942 viewshoof_hearted

Knee Replacement on 10:47 - Nov 28 by Chunkyfenwick

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site, please be kind to me.

I'm 48 and I had my 2nd knee replacement this year (right knee) 3 weeks ago, I had the left knee replaced in March. I have also had both of my hips replaced. This is all down to rheumatoid arthritis.

As mentioned before, the recovery can depend on how the op went and also how damaged the knee was before the op.
My first op took 3 hours and the second one an hour and a half.

The pain went after a week or two, and the knee is still very swollen and I feel a bit of discomfort, especially after exercising or physio. Oh and the clips come out after 2-3 weeks.

I was told that the knee replacements I had put in can last between 15 and 20 years, which doesn't seem too bad.

I'm very glad I have had the replacements, as I have a much better quality of life now.
It's a bit of a pain going through metal detectors at airport security though.🙂
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 10:48]

Sorry. Nobody will acknowledge you until you've named your cheese. (I've risked being lynched as a nark for even telling you.)
Knee Replacement on 13:13 - Nov 28 with 3914 viewsShotKneesHoop

With a monicker like "Shot Knees" you'd expect me to make some form of contribution to this knee replacement thread! My answer is that it all depends how bad the pain is, how mobile you want to be and what your doctor recommends for you.

I went to my doctor about five years ago, as I was experiencing extreme pain in the back of both knees after I did any sort of running. As I found out through ultra scans, I have no cartilage left in either knee, I have been told this was because I had played cricket and football over the years without taking on board sufficient water. Evidently I was playing sport whilst dehydrated, which appears to be common in older baby boomer blokes.

This had lead to osteoarthritis in both knee joints, which in turn had created Baker's Cysts behind both knees, where the synovial fluid builds up through bone on bone action. The fluid can then leak into the muscle, which gives excruciating pain, supposedly like Deep Vein Thrombosis.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is totally different - so ignore what I put from hereon, this is just about "bone on bone" osteoarthritis.

My doctor told me to avoid surgery if at all possible, because artificial knees do restrict movement. I was told not to run anymore (suits me) - but to walk as often as possible and also to bike about 20 miles once a week, so the leg muscles are built up to support the joint.

This has worked really well with me, to the extent that I only get problems after extended walking. For example; I did the Three Peaks in three days this year. Penyghent and Ingleborough were fine, but Whernside was a swine coming down and it was only three pints of Dent Pale Ale at the end of the descent at Chapel Le Dale that saved me.

So, it's really down to your particular problem and whether you are prepared to try to avoid surgery. If you can walk and /or ride a bike, I'd say try that before surgery, which is final and often needs another replacement in future years.

There is an alternative called a "Flintoff" - which are stem cell injections into the knee bone to regenerate the cartilage. Freddie had them in Australia and he's fine now, but it's expensive and not available on the NHS. If you have the money - go for them.

I hope this helps. I'd rather have a lump of lead between the eyes than consider a bloody mobility scooter which is why I keep as active as I can. Let me know what you decide is best for you and how you get on.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 13:16]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Knee Replacement on 13:14 - Nov 28 with 3912 viewsChunkyfenwick

Knee Replacement on 12:41 - Nov 28 by hoof_hearted

Sorry. Nobody will acknowledge you until you've named your cheese. (I've risked being lynched as a nark for even telling you.)

My favourite cheese is extra mature cheddar
Knee Replacement on 13:54 - Nov 28 with 3884 viewsisawqpratwcity

Knee Replacement on 13:14 - Nov 28 by Chunkyfenwick

My favourite cheese is extra mature cheddar

Welcome aboard!

Knee Replacement on 14:37 - Nov 28 with 3864 viewsLetchR

Thought I might bring my personal experience to the group.
I agree with ShotKnees, I have suffered with RA in both knees for nearly 30 years, and I’m only 43. I was always told try everything and anything to avoid knee replacement (although pretty difficult through uni and the rave scene in the 90’s)

I exercise and try and eat healthy, however this helps to a certain degree. I’ve tried all types of medication, many having horrendous side effects, sometimes worse than the actual pain and swelling itself. As a result, I have hardly any cartilage left, and my knees are quite deformed (although not to the point I couldn’t stand or walk).

Anyway I moved out of the London to Hertfordshire about 5 years ago. Reregistered with the GP, got referred to rheumatology at the Lister in Stevenage, and pretty much straight away was recommended to try Humira. You need to have a case put forward to the medical board as its very expensive (possibly why I was never referred at the underfunded London hospitals)

All I can say is, read about it. It’s a cure, simple as. Yes, it’s not going to reshape my knees, but that’s it, I’m cured from RA. It is truly the most amazing thing. I can even sit in Ellerslie Road now.
The only issue is I feel like a teenager once more and have started to take risks; I know I shouldn’t have done that cliff dive in the Philippines this year, but instead of ending up in A&E I just swam it off.

Any Blue cheese for me (long time listener, first time caller, and the first thread I can actually contribute to)
Knee Replacement on 16:18 - Nov 28 with 3826 viewsShotKneesHoop

Quote from the LetchR post : - "It’s a cure, simple as. Yes, it’s not going to reshape my knees, but that’s it, I’m cured from RA. It is truly the most amazing thing. I can even sit in Ellerslie Road now. "

If you can sit in the Ellerslie, its a bloody miracle! Your knees aren't the problem, because you're not cured of the R's virus. That will go with you to the grave.

And a wedge of Caporal from Normandy please.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 16:22]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Knee Replacement on 18:30 - Nov 28 with 3786 viewsjohncharles

In my youth a joint meant fun and happiness, now it just means pain.

Same goes for QPR.

Strong and stable my arse.

Knee Replacement on 21:24 - Nov 28 with 3749 viewsisawqpratwcity

Knee Replacement on 14:37 - Nov 28 by LetchR

Thought I might bring my personal experience to the group.
I agree with ShotKnees, I have suffered with RA in both knees for nearly 30 years, and I’m only 43. I was always told try everything and anything to avoid knee replacement (although pretty difficult through uni and the rave scene in the 90’s)

I exercise and try and eat healthy, however this helps to a certain degree. I’ve tried all types of medication, many having horrendous side effects, sometimes worse than the actual pain and swelling itself. As a result, I have hardly any cartilage left, and my knees are quite deformed (although not to the point I couldn’t stand or walk).

Anyway I moved out of the London to Hertfordshire about 5 years ago. Reregistered with the GP, got referred to rheumatology at the Lister in Stevenage, and pretty much straight away was recommended to try Humira. You need to have a case put forward to the medical board as its very expensive (possibly why I was never referred at the underfunded London hospitals)

All I can say is, read about it. It’s a cure, simple as. Yes, it’s not going to reshape my knees, but that’s it, I’m cured from RA. It is truly the most amazing thing. I can even sit in Ellerslie Road now.
The only issue is I feel like a teenager once more and have started to take risks; I know I shouldn’t have done that cliff dive in the Philippines this year, but instead of ending up in A&E I just swam it off.

Any Blue cheese for me (long time listener, first time caller, and the first thread I can actually contribute to)

Apparently having bad knees has new posters crawling out of the woodwork!

Welcome aboard!

Knee Replacement on 15:07 - Nov 29 with 3662 viewsPinnerPaul

Mrs PP has had both hips replaced - got rid of pain instantly.

Up and about 2 days afterwards each time

Only 1 knee? = Pah!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024