Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homosexuality in football 21:23 - Dec 13 with 914 viewswessex_exile

An interesting article on the BBC Sport website, associated with John Nicolson MP claiming that he knows of three footballers currently in discussion with the FA about coming out. He may well be right, and by the law of averages the number of gay footballers just in the top four divisions of the pyramid must be massively more than that? However, it is an incredibly depressing thought that in the world of football, homosexuality is still something that needs to be hidden for fear of abuse. The report mentions a 5-Live poll that concluded that a massive 82% of football supporters would have no issue with having gay footballers at their club, but that 8% would see that as a reason to stop watching their team. I know we've got precious few supporters as it is, but I'd gladly wave bye to that 8% at WHCS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38303705

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Homosexuality in football on 23:23 - Dec 13 with 894 viewsnoah4x4

I agree with you Wessex, a players sexuality isn't material, but sadly the tribal clowns that have always held misogynistic, homophobic and other obnoxious opinion will create an unpleasantness on the terraces that will continue to deter players from "coming out" during their playing career.

It's taken 40 years for racism on the terraces to be (almost) defeated and sadly I suspect that we have many years still to go as regards the defeat of homophobia. What I think may become a catalyst for change is the number of openly gay women footballers in the amateur world. There seems to be higher 'open' ratio than the normal ratio in (say) the workplace. But that is simply a reflection of an acceptance that one's sexuality is immaterial within that particular community, but still (wrongly) appears sensitive in others. Of course, those with homophobic opinion will offer another explanation.

With the rapid growth of female football this is bound to progressively influence male dressing rooms. There also seems to be a far greater number of openly gay females at my regular pub, yet few gay males. Yet I know many gay males in other communities, So is it a case that we need to positively discriminate and advertise "gays welcome"? Such an initiative has started at Norwich City FC, and I would like to think it would add to our crowds rather than any deduction. A commitment not to discriminate by race, gender, sexuality, age, disability etc. perhaps does need positive embrace rather than the rare prosecutions of those nasty folk that fail to honour this, while others claim compliance until after a few drinks loosen their tongues and their true character is revealed. But is Brexit a step backwards?

The FA itself is making headlines as dominated by "elderly white men" and there are calls for broad change. The recent revelations about child abuse are no surprise, and will surely produce shock waves throughout the sport. Although not gay myself, I would welcome change, and would happily wave goodbye to the 8% that live in the dark ages. But I fear that an entire generation first has to die out and won't ever change.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2016 23:30]
Homosexuality in football on 11:01 - Dec 14 with 860 viewsWessiehomesPete

A player's sexuality should have no bearing on anything.

I'm the poster child on having lived in San Francisco from 1990-2001. I'm not gay but had friends left and right who were in SF. Never bothered me :D

I want players to come out and realize that it's Not The Big A Deal.

Most of us fans are not offended. And newsflash, many of us fans will have your back and you don't have to be afraid of being stigmatized ..

You wanna come out? Won't bovver me one bit.
Homosexuality in football on 08:58 - Dec 15 with 813 viewsAFCMorant

It'll go the way of racism, remember in the 80's the racist moron on terrace 4 who used to shout out "zigger, zigger, zigger shoot that(fill in blank yourself." Thankfully we live in more enlightened times where racist scum can no longer do that , Donald Trump and UKIP notwithstanding.
Homosexuality in football on 18:02 - Dec 15 with 781 viewsWessiehomesPete

That does bug me. Racists should get run over by a lorry.

I've heard chants at the Weston Homes...

I can't believe some these shyt+ers don't get banned. I'm 6-1. I hear you, you will have a face-plant... You yell something racist, you have a fist in your face. Try me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024