Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. 16:10 - Dec 17 with 4647 viewsDiscodroids

top tip For Brussell sprouts - peel the outer half dozen or so leaves off your sprouts (chuck the 'core' in the bin) - boil them for a very short while (I believe the term might be 'blanch') then finish by frying off in a pan full of nicely browned smoked streaky bacon pieces and salted butter.

Chestnut pieces may be added to play jazz.

Either that or fu ck them off altogether.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 16:13]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:12 - Dec 17 with 4640 viewsToast_R

Got to have Chestnut stuffing. The bollocks.

Ground Semolina sprinkled on your roasties half hour before their done. Crips them up good.
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:17 - Dec 17 with 4630 viewsDiscodroids

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:12 - Dec 17 by Toast_R

Got to have Chestnut stuffing. The bollocks.

Ground Semolina sprinkled on your roasties half hour before their done. Crips them up good.

yes sir!... sounds good.

I do wish my chigwell mother in law wouldn't cook xmas dinner like shes on pervitin eye drops.
The fu cking 'roast Potatoes' come out like boiled spuds as hard as Bet lynch's love eggs.

what i wouldnt give for just staying at home one year to cook my own dinner and then in the afternoon read some cu nts autobiography and get rassed to heavenly nirvana on super bock.

every year i have to eat this pulp that frankie fraser in his ramton romper suit wouldnt eat

edit; chestnut stuffing is food of the gods..in addition i always roast my carrots with a bit of cumin and thyme ..magic.

And a few sprigs of rosemary in my yorkshire puds.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 16:46]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:17 - Dec 17 with 4629 viewsSimonJames

I shred sprouts in a food processor or using a coarse grater. And then fry them with bacon, butter, shallot or garlic, salt & pepper, a pinch of brow sugar, a little bit of cayenne pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 16:18]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:22 - Dec 17 with 4610 viewsDiscodroids

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:17 - Dec 17 by SimonJames

I shred sprouts in a food processor or using a coarse grater. And then fry them with bacon, butter, shallot or garlic, salt & pepper, a pinch of brow sugar, a little bit of cayenne pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 16:18]

that is art. I'll give that a go.

i notice Goose seems to be the fashion these days..call me a traditionalist but its strictly Turkey on my plate Xmas Day. (Leg not breast).

I have seen people using pancetta instead of bacon in their sprouts. Heathens.

edit; leftover brussels are elixier in bubble and squeak rather than cabbage.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 16:29]

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:57 - Dec 17 with 4559 viewsHooped_Pullie

I can't add much to what's been said about the Brussels sprouts (except to agree with all of it) but here's an unorthodox tip for the roast potatoes :

Get a jar of goose fat and a jar of rindless orange marmalade (ideally the Waitrose one). Mix in a bowl three heaped dessert spoons of the goose fat with two large dessert spoons of the marmalade. Baste the well-mixed combination on the roasties, or dip each one in and roll it around until well covered and adhering.

Then roast as normal. Result : potatoes that are sticky and crispy, savoury but with a hint of sweetness. I've never had a single one left over yet. Bloody delicious.
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 17:01 - Dec 17 with 4550 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Feck all that shit, go round someone else's gaff.
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 17:14 - Dec 17 with 4526 viewsDiscodroids

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:57 - Dec 17 by Hooped_Pullie

I can't add much to what's been said about the Brussels sprouts (except to agree with all of it) but here's an unorthodox tip for the roast potatoes :

Get a jar of goose fat and a jar of rindless orange marmalade (ideally the Waitrose one). Mix in a bowl three heaped dessert spoons of the goose fat with two large dessert spoons of the marmalade. Baste the well-mixed combination on the roasties, or dip each one in and roll it around until well covered and adhering.

Then roast as normal. Result : potatoes that are sticky and crispy, savoury but with a hint of sweetness. I've never had a single one left over yet. Bloody delicious.

That sounds amazing. sheer alchemy.

duly noted.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 17:37 - Dec 17 with 4497 viewsSimonJames

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:22 - Dec 17 by Discodroids

i notice Goose seems to be the fashion these days..call me a traditionalist but its strictly Turkey on my plate Xmas Day. (Leg not breast).

Definitely a leg man myself.

I tried roasting a goose a couple of years ago and it was delicious. But since the fcukwit previous owners had their kitchen extension built without the facility to install an extractor fan, the house was so full of smoke that we had to have all the doors and windows open for about 3 hours and my mother nearly turned blue waiting for her dinner.

Login to get fewer ads

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:05 - Dec 17 with 4474 viewsDWQPR

Disco, may I recommend that rather than wasting some Brussel sprouts that are perfectly superb without all of that fannying around, go to a decent greengrocer or market and find some brussel tops. These are the leaves at the top of the brussel tree that get taken off and more often than not discarded. They are full of flavour and done the way you describe, with some chopped chestnuts, lardons of bacon and fried in butter they are fantastic and may I suggest that a decent piece of smoke gammon, some home made braised red cabbage and some boiled baby potatoes in their skins accompany them.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:10 - Dec 17 with 4466 viewsDiscodroids

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:05 - Dec 17 by DWQPR

Disco, may I recommend that rather than wasting some Brussel sprouts that are perfectly superb without all of that fannying around, go to a decent greengrocer or market and find some brussel tops. These are the leaves at the top of the brussel tree that get taken off and more often than not discarded. They are full of flavour and done the way you describe, with some chopped chestnuts, lardons of bacon and fried in butter they are fantastic and may I suggest that a decent piece of smoke gammon, some home made braised red cabbage and some boiled baby potatoes in their skins accompany them.

great tip. it sounds more moorish than spice melange .
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 18:18]

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:29 - Dec 17 with 4444 viewsstuabd

Par-boil your spuds a few days early and freeze them in a freezer bag. On the big day, get the oven on its hottest setting, take your frozen spuds out of the freezer add some goose fat or even olive oil works, and put them in the oven.

A chef mate told me about it. I've tried it twice. The first time wasn't that good as I'd forgot to put the oven on the highest setting. The secOnd time was great as the potatoes are crispy on the outside and really fluffy in the middle.
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:54 - Dec 17 with 4408 viewsPunteR

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:29 - Dec 17 by stuabd

Par-boil your spuds a few days early and freeze them in a freezer bag. On the big day, get the oven on its hottest setting, take your frozen spuds out of the freezer add some goose fat or even olive oil works, and put them in the oven.

A chef mate told me about it. I've tried it twice. The first time wasn't that good as I'd forgot to put the oven on the highest setting. The secOnd time was great as the potatoes are crispy on the outside and really fluffy in the middle.

Freeze the spuds? you sure your not cheating and using Aunt Bessies..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:16 - Dec 17 with 4379 viewsdolcelatte

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 16:22 - Dec 17 by Discodroids

Goose was always the traditional Christmas fayre. Turkey is a relatively modern "tradition". Another US import...

And as for sprouts - ban them.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:27 - Dec 17 with 4376 viewsSimonJames

Best thing I ever bought for Xmas (and every subsequent Sunday roast) is one of these jobbies (for less than £3):
<a href=" https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CJR67C/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&psc=1&lin target="_blank"></a>https://ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=bulletproofbu-21&l=li2&o=2&a=B007CJR67C width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
http://amzn.to/2hvtc2b

Last year I followed Raymond Blanc's advice about not overcooking turkeys
- once the internal temperature in the thickest part of the leg (or the breast just before you reach the bone) gets to 73°C it's time to take it out, cover it with foil, layer a few tea towels (or normal towels) on top and leave it in a warm place.
The internal temperature will continue to rise and it can sit there for an hour and a half and still be steaming hot when you carve.
I heated the oven to 220°C and gave a 6kg turkey 20 mins at that temperature before lowering it to 180°C. It was ready to take out of the oven in less than 1hr and 45mins.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:32 - Dec 17 with 4370 viewsericgen34

Tradition from my brummy wife's family:

Good dose of whisky in your first cup of tea of xmas day. Sets you off nicely for the rest of the day
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:12 - Dec 17 with 4333 viewsDWQPR

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:27 - Dec 17 by SimonJames

Best thing I ever bought for Xmas (and every subsequent Sunday roast) is one of these jobbies (for less than £3):
<a href=" https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CJR67C/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&psc=1&lin target="_blank"></a>https://ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=bulletproofbu-21&l=li2&o=2&a=B007CJR67C width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
http://amzn.to/2hvtc2b

Last year I followed Raymond Blanc's advice about not overcooking turkeys
- once the internal temperature in the thickest part of the leg (or the breast just before you reach the bone) gets to 73°C it's time to take it out, cover it with foil, layer a few tea towels (or normal towels) on top and leave it in a warm place.
The internal temperature will continue to rise and it can sit there for an hour and a half and still be steaming hot when you carve.
I heated the oven to 220°C and gave a 6kg turkey 20 mins at that temperature before lowering it to 180°C. It was ready to take out of the oven in less than 1hr and 45mins.

Or you could just get a skewer insert that into the leg and if the juices run clear then the turkey is done. Works every time and far better than some cheap gadget that does nothing more than line the pockets of a third rate frog cook.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:14 - Dec 17 with 4329 viewsDWQPR

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:16 - Dec 17 by dolcelatte

Goose was always the traditional Christmas fayre. Turkey is a relatively modern "tradition". Another US import...

And as for sprouts - ban them.

Sproutist baśtard!!!!!!!!!!

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:18 - Dec 17 with 4322 viewsjohncharles

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:32 - Dec 17 by ericgen34

Good dose of whisky in your first cup of tea of xmas day. Sets you off nicely for the rest of the day

That's more like it. I do the Christmas dinner and it means starting early. About 7.30 am. Once the turkey's on I have a G and T
Tanquery Ten is this year's choice.

* I'm going to give Stuabd's frozen roasties a go
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 20:22]

Strong and stable my arse.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:27 - Dec 17 with 4313 viewsFearless

We're having a Brexit Christmas dinner......

No Brussels

Yep, opened the crackers early
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 20:27]
Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:33 - Dec 17 with 4293 viewsRickyDicky

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 19:32 - Dec 17 by ericgen34

Try a bit of rum instead. Lovely on a cold day fishing.

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:36 - Dec 17 with 4293 viewsNortholt_Rs

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 18:10 - Dec 17 by Discodroids

great tip. it sounds more moorish than spice melange .
[Post edited 17 Dec 2016 18:18]

Nothing can possibly be more more-ish than the fabled spice melange DD....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:44 - Dec 17 with 4278 viewsSimonJames

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 20:12 - Dec 17 by DWQPR

Or you could just get a skewer insert that into the leg and if the juices run clear then the turkey is done. Works every time and far better than some cheap gadget that does nothing more than line the pockets of a third rate frog cook.

I used to do it that way. But I find this is more accurate. On some chickens I find that the thigh temperature has reached the minimum temperature but the breast is still not done yet.

And I also use it for other things like BBQ stuff, baked chicken breasts, making sauces, boiling sugar, checking chilled temperatures, etc.

I don't see the relevance of it being cheap. I could have spent £20 on one, but this one does the job fine.

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 21:26 - Dec 17 with 4243 viewsDorse

Disaronno over ice. Drink, preferably jingling the ice cubes in a languid, swirling motion. Dinner? What dinner?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Recipes or Top Tip For Christmas Dinner. on 22:57 - Dec 17 with 4195 viewsBrightonhoop

I've been perfecting my bread sauce. Cloves clinch it.

Don't get too trolleyed early doors or there will be no fcking dinner. lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024