Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex 23:49 - Dec 30 with 837 viewsdurham_exile

After taking 13 points from the last 15 available JM takes his resurgent Super U’s to the Lamex Stadium for another key encounter against Darren Sarll’s Stevenage Boro on New Year’s Eve.

Both teams are, on paper, evenly matched with the teams sitting 10th and 11th respectively in League Two. Virtually identical records but the home team have lost 7 matches at the Lamex and this I believe will give the U’s the edge in a close encounter.

With Cheltenham at home 48 hours later JM must decide whether to make any changes to his starting line-up. He could be tempted to play Chris Porter who has recovered from his recent injury, but I think that he will sit on the bench and perhaps be given the last 30 minutes at the Lamex.

JM will be mindful that this is all about a squad, but also keen to reward the current XI who have been outstanding since the Cheltenham victory at Whaddon Road. Confidence is sky high and the players have kick started their season with a brilliant victory at Kenilworth Road on Boxing Day.

I fully expect the super U’s to secure three more precious points tomorrow in order to keep the unbeaten run going whilst closing on the top even in the League. The key of course is to ensure that no complacency creeps into their thinking. This is an open league and the current form of Wycombe and Cambridge (both already beaten by the U’s) is a testament to the possibility for any team to prevail against any other team in the league.

In fact, I do not think that the top three will finish in those positions come May. After tomorrow we will have reached the half way point in the season and we will need a minimum of 70 points to secure a top seven finish, so plenty still to do. Recent results have shown however that the U’s are beginning to fire on all cylinders.

So, an unchanged team for the sixth successive game in a 3,4,1,2 formation.

Walker

Eastman Kent Elokobi

Brindley Garvan Lapslie Dickenson

Slater

Guthrie Johnstone

Subs:

Wright Vincent-Young Wynter Bonne Barnes Fosu Porter

The faithful were well represented at Kenilworth Road and I would have thought that closer to 700 would travel to Stevenage. It would be excellent for the U’s to finish 2016 on a real high with three more points to boost the play off push.

Safe journey, enjoy the game.

Up the U’s and Happy New Year.

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 10:49 - Dec 31 with 805 viewsnoah4x4

I reckon Porter will start; hence Johnston on bench; Kamara on bench; but NO Bonne. Johnson will start Monday (Porter might then be rested, Bonne perhaps on bench).

Rumour has it that Bonne and Sembie-Ferris have not been doing themselves many favours since the Guthrie and Johnson pairing. Sembie-Ferris now shipped out on loan. Notably, Bonne not on bench for Luton. John McGreal won't stand for any phaffing about. It's about the squad.

Today we will need Porters greater robustness. But he won't handle 90 minutes x 2 in three days. Hence lets reserve Johnston for a start on Monday where pace rather than brute force will suffice. Today may be Lamex thuggery from the home side.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2016 10:51]
Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 14:36 - Dec 31 with 777 viewsdurham_exile

One change for the super U's today
Wright in for Craig Slater, hopefully Slater is not injured he has been awesome.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 15:20 - Dec 31 with 769 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 14:36 - Dec 31 by durham_exile

One change for the super U's today
Wright in for Craig Slater, hopefully Slater is not injured he has been awesome.

Up the U's

Great start, it is all about goal diffference. 4-0 would be really impressive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 16:13 - Dec 31 with 758 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 15:20 - Dec 31 by durham_exile

Great start, it is all about goal diffference. 4-0 would be really impressive.

Up the U's

On the other hand we now need to avoid a return to the bad old days.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 16:40 - Dec 31 with 751 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 16:13 - Dec 31 by durham_exile

On the other hand we now need to avoid a return to the bad old days.

Up the U's

Plenty of character - Chris Porter 3-2

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 20:20 - Dec 31 with 705 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 16:40 - Dec 31 by durham_exile

Plenty of character - Chris Porter 3-2

Up the U's

Massive amount of character Durham. At 2-0 we lost concentration, sat back too much, and allowed Stevenage an undeserved lifeline to rescue something from the game. In other days, that would have been that, and we might have actually gone on to lose that one, but the U's are made of sterner stuff these days. Fosu's pile driver found a gap between Jones and the post that not many in the stand could actually see, and was fair reward for a game that for much of the time we dominated. To be honest, we had enough good chances to have scored 6 or more, so credit to former U's shot-stopper Jones for actually having a decent game (despite conceding 4).

Stand-out performances for me include Guthrie, Eastman and Porter - Elokobi didn't look quite as solid as recent performances, and was at fault for their 2nd, but he didn't let his head drop, and showed some real spirit during the last 25-30 minutes particularly - not least his decision to high-5 the entire row of U's faithful on the barrier at full-time!

It is vital we continue to build on this and dispatch lowly Cheltenham comfortably, and with a minimum of fuss...and then who knows for 2017?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 21:04 - Dec 31 with 687 viewsmrhappy

Get ready for trip to Wembley

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 02:53 - Jan 1 with 648 viewsWessiehomesPete

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 21:04 - Dec 31 by mrhappy

Get ready for trip to Wembley

Feels like it.

Our U's are not a League 2 club.

But the stride now looks good. Whatever our gaffer is doing,.. two wins on the trot away, that does not suck. :)

edit,.. Chelt what? I predicted 2-0 to the U's .. Actually did a Betfred £10 ... for a 2-nil.

Feel confident.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2017 2:59]
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 11:26 - Jan 1 with 608 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 20:20 - Dec 31 by wessex_exile

Massive amount of character Durham. At 2-0 we lost concentration, sat back too much, and allowed Stevenage an undeserved lifeline to rescue something from the game. In other days, that would have been that, and we might have actually gone on to lose that one, but the U's are made of sterner stuff these days. Fosu's pile driver found a gap between Jones and the post that not many in the stand could actually see, and was fair reward for a game that for much of the time we dominated. To be honest, we had enough good chances to have scored 6 or more, so credit to former U's shot-stopper Jones for actually having a decent game (despite conceding 4).

Stand-out performances for me include Guthrie, Eastman and Porter - Elokobi didn't look quite as solid as recent performances, and was at fault for their 2nd, but he didn't let his head drop, and showed some real spirit during the last 25-30 minutes particularly - not least his decision to high-5 the entire row of U's faithful on the barrier at full-time!

It is vital we continue to build on this and dispatch lowly Cheltenham comfortably, and with a minimum of fuss...and then who knows for 2017?

Echo Wessex's summary. The tally of 23 shots, 10 on target demonstrates our dominance and Jamie Jones had a brilliant game despite conceding four.

I did see Fosu's goal from my lofty perch in the back row; it was class.

Our biggest barrier is to maintain belief. At 2-0 we were cruising. Stevenage probably deserved to get one back, but then we completely lost the plot when Denny Johnstone limped off with a hamstring injury. Porter, Guthrie and Wright suddenly looked clueless and incoherent up front and wave after wave of home attacks followed as our forwards (notably Wright) lost possession. Elokobi didn't have his best game, but was repeatedly left exposed by our failure to retain possession in forward positions.

It was not until Wright was withdraw (74') and Fosu came on did we again see fluency up front. Guthrie and Johnstone have an understanding, but Guthrie and Porter need need a Slater (or Fosu) rather than a headless chicken behind them. We badly missed the ill Slater and whilst Drey Wright is a fine winger, he clearly isnt the man to fill that tip of the diamond behind the front two.

I believe Fosu remains available, so I hope he starts tomorrow with Porter and Guthrie (Johnson unfit). This gives an opportunity for Bonne to have an impact from the bench. I hope he seizes it. As I predicted, he once again didn't make this bench.

Comfortable winners in the end. Frankly, we should have put this game to bed much earlier, but we still have the jitters. Holding possession up front is crucial. The defence is now sound. Shame Tom Eastman didn't score. His burst into the penalty area, dribble and shot reminded me of Messi, when for so long it's been messy at the other end. I think Wembley beckons.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2017 12:07]
Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 14:05 - Jan 1 with 578 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 20:20 - Dec 31 by wessex_exile

Wessex and Noah, many thanks for the updates. Very helpful.

What a difference a run of consistent winning results makes.

When we played Plymouth, Doncaster and Carlisle beforeChristmas, we played the better football but ended up with zero points. We are now beginning to demonstrate what we are capable of. I do not think that automatic promotion is out of the question. Third place finish woulddo very nicely.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to continue their Play Off push at the Lamex on 18:56 - Jan 1 with 533 viewsWessiehomesPete

Is there enough to get the engine going.

In Daniel's PL I have it 2-0 next one. It's nice to know we don't suck. I hope Mr. Cowling takes a punt for a quite-the-player on loan. Spurs and Hammers have been a good feeder club to Colchester.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024