Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's top ten signings 12:26 - Jan 8 with 817 viewsbwildered

U's top ten signings - now set in stone ?

1 England Steven Gillespie Cheltenham Town £400,000 July 2008
2 Australia Chris Coyne Luton Town £350,000 January 2008
3 England Clive Platt MK Dons £300,000 July 2007
=4 England Dean Hammond Brighton & Hove Albion £250,000 January 2008
=4 Republic of Ireland Mark Yeates Tottenham Hotspur £250,000 July 2007
6 France Joël Thomas Hamilton Academical £125,000 July 2009
=7 England Simon Hackney Carlisle United £100,000 January 2009
=7 England Philip Ifil Tottenham Hotspur £100,000 January 2008
=7 England Matt Lockwood Nottingham Forest £100,000 June 2008
=7 England Marc Tierney Shrewsbury Town £100,000 January 2009

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's top ten signings on 12:56 - Jan 8 with 808 viewsMoor_Pinot

Good grief Bewildered................when you peruse that lot you can see the sense in the academy and bringing through our own as much as we possibly can. I do not believe we had our money out of any of them athough Hammond and Yeates were exceptions on occasion I suppose.
Top ten indeed !!!!?

Moor Pinot

U's top ten signings on 15:54 - Jan 8 with 782 viewsdurham_exile

bwildered - please tell me that the top ten refers solely to finance because I'm afraid with two exception the majority were pants and that is being very polite!

Steven Gillespie - "sicknote" had potential but never showed it playing for the U's. Cheltenham must still be laughing at such a waste of £400K by the U's.

Chris Coyne - limited appearances very poor.

Clive Platt - scored a couple of decent goals but never lived up to his billing.

Dean Hammond - scored a clever direct free kick at Huddersfield to secure a 2-2 draw.
Personally never had any class and I will will not forget the way he celebrated when scoring for Soton at the WHCS.

Mark Yeates scored a number of classy free kicks and always put in a shift for the team.

Joel Thomas - I can never remember him actually playing for the U's. A total waste of over £100K.

Simon Hackney - limited opportunity to shine for the U's

Phil Ifil - once turned up outside Layer Road with a designer man bag - says everything about him.

Matt Lockwood - I must be honest and say that I have never heard of him.

Marc Tierney despite his pedigree ex Man U etc, total rubbish.

Frankly I would swap them all for another Kurtis Guthrie or Craig Slater.

I doubt if any would get into today's League Two team.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's top ten signings on 16:41 - Jan 8 with 769 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's top ten signings on 15:54 - Jan 8 by durham_exile

bwildered - please tell me that the top ten refers solely to finance because I'm afraid with two exception the majority were pants and that is being very polite!

Steven Gillespie - "sicknote" had potential but never showed it playing for the U's. Cheltenham must still be laughing at such a waste of £400K by the U's.

Clive Platt - scored a couple of decent goals but never lived up to his billing.

Dean Hammond - scored a clever direct free kick at Huddersfield to secure a 2-2 draw.
Personally never had any class and I will will not forget the way he celebrated when scoring for Soton at the WHCS.

Mark Yeates scored a number of classy free kicks and always put in a shift for the team.

Joel Thomas - I can never remember him actually playing for the U's. A total waste of over £100K.

Phil Ifil - once turned up outside Layer Road with a designer man bag - says everything about him.

Up the U's

I think you've got your Tierney's mixed up. Marc Tierney was quality for us and went on to play at a higher level. I think he even played in the Premier League. I think the Tierney you're referring to is Paul Tierney who we had on loan for a short period and he was indeed total rubbish.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's top ten signings on 17:07 - Jan 8 with 767 viewsdurham_exile

U's top ten signings on 16:41 - Jan 8 by RSCOSWORTH

I think you've got your Tierney's mixed up. Marc Tierney was quality for us and went on to play at a higher level. I think he even played in the Premier League. I think the Tierney you're referring to is Paul Tierney who we had on loan for a short period and he was indeed total rubbish.

RS thank you for correcting me. I had confused the two. Paul was hopeless, Marc sublime.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's top ten signings on 18:04 - Jan 8 with 752 viewsbwildered

It is purely the top ten U's financial transactions.

U's top ten signings on 15:57 - Jan 9 with 692 viewsthrillseeker

U's top ten signings on 15:54 - Jan 8 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Bit harsh on Dean Hammond - a quality player

I loved his celebration of his Southampton goal. He scored for his employers.

I hate this non-celebration of a goal of scored against former club
U's top ten signings on 15:43 - Jan 13 with 617 viewsburnsieespana

Assume this is only a list of the money we paid out and when you look at it no wonder Cowling wanted to put his money into the Acadamy.
People like Coyne and Gillespie never lived up to their billing. However did think Hammond was good value as was Tierney.
To be honest I can't recall seeing Simon Hackney play and do believe I saw Thomas once on the subs bench.
Surely Slater comes into the top 10 because of the £154,000 compensation we had to pay Killmarnock?
Did we not pay £100,000 this year for both Denny Johnston and Kutis Gutherie?
U's top ten signings on 18:20 - Jan 13 with 596 viewspwrightsknees

This is a fascinating thread, and, it seems to me, to be right to compare the club’s outlay for each player, i.e. the amount of money that is passed between the two clubs rather than a simple transfer fee (are transfers ever simple?). As far as I know, none in the list would be complicated by player- exchange values.

Comparisons with earlier eras would be impossible. Adjustments for inflation, rocketing transfer fees in general, etc. would make that unworkable. However, there is an historical couple of transfers which may raise a few eyebrows.

On 23rd November 1957, the U’s laid out £4,000 for John Evans from Liverpool and £6,750 for Neil Langman from Plymouth. It doesn’t sound very much, but those were HUGE amounts for a club like Colchester in the austere post-war years, and compares with the, then, record transfer fee beween British clubs of £34,500 which Sheffield Wednesday had paid to Notts County in 1951 for Jackie Sewell.
Login to get fewer ads

U's top ten signings on 21:36 - Jan 13 with 579 viewsbwildered

In 1973, Jim Smith signed Paul Aimson for a record £8,000 however two games in he suffered cartilage damage and only played one other game for the U's .
Although no list is available most valuable free transfer would also be interesting in comparison, not doubt Micky Cook would be included .

U's top ten signings on 23:58 - Jan 13 with 568 viewswessex_exile

U's top ten signings on 21:36 - Jan 13 by bwildered

In 1973, Jim Smith signed Paul Aimson for a record £8,000 however two games in he suffered cartilage damage and only played one other game for the U's .
Although no list is available most valuable free transfer would also be interesting in comparison, not doubt Micky Cook would be included .

Not technically a free transfer, but I'm fairly sure we didn't pay a penny for Lua Lua? As far as free transfers are concerned, did we actually pay anything for Cureton or Iwelumo?

The list is very interesting reading, and of course we always have to balance anything like this against the relative increment in the value of footballers. Our record purchase (Gillespie) of £400k would buy jack sh'te these days. That being said, I do think Gillespie was a good purchase at the time (if he'd stayed fit), as was Hammond and Yeates.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024