Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident 15:04 - Feb 8 with 14648 viewsHantsR

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4201026/Austin-gives-stateme

Sounds like cyclist is making a gradual recovery.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:18 - Feb 10 with 1621 viewsloftboy

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:58 - Feb 10 by LunarJetman

I've just popped out to lunch up in Central London (near Marble Arch) and seen one cyclist bombing along the pavement and another completely ignore the red lights to cut across a cross roads through the pedestrians...

I don't doubt that there are some sensible law abiding cyclists out there but the vast majority of the ones I see on a daily basis are total tw@s

As. a cyclist I would whole heartedly agree with dishing out on the. Spot fines for cyclists who jump lights, my son nearly got run over by a light jumper on the strand, I thumped the offender, it wasn't long after my daughter had been run over on the Uxbridge Road by a cyclist going up the inside of a bus breaking her toe,
I'm. Not perfect by any means but when I ride to work it is mainly on shared pavement cycle ways, I always give way to pedestrians, don't use earphones, when on the road I keep to the left and use hand signals, on the other residents when I'm working in my van I always give extra room to cyclists, but have witnessed idiots who think they can front a 3.5 tonne van head on and not get hurt.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:20 - Feb 10 with 1614 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:05 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Do you consider building sites or roads more dangerous.

More dangerous for whom? I don't know - do you have any stats I could look at? Are you suggesting cyclists should wear rigger boots and jogging bottoms?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:27 - Feb 10 with 1600 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I don't wear a cycling helmet as having a long face I look like a cross between a M3x6mm screw and my willy when I was 5.

I do sometimes wear a 1954 French M51 Helmet with Liner if the weather is really bad.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:49 - Feb 10 with 1537 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:01 - Feb 10 by izlingtonhoop

Started by - yes.

Made bigger by cars.

and also buses , lorries fire engines , ambulances etc
maybe if cyclists paid something towards the upkeep of the roads the councils would have a bit more money coming in , hey just a thought

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:02 - Feb 10 with 1511 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:47 - Feb 10 by Konk

I know that cycling’s not practical for everyone and that there are lots of journeys that require a car or van, but if you eliminated the journeys that don’t need to be done by car — school runs, people driving two minutes to the shops etc, dropping kids off at mate’s houses etc — then you would go a long way to cutting traffic and pollution, meaning that the people who needed to use their cars/vans/lorries, got where they were going quicker. I’ve got friends in Amsterdam, Delft, Utrecht and Nijmegen — and those that own a car, only tend to use them for travelling long distances either at home or abroad. It just doesn’t cross their minds that you would drive your kid into town rather than just pop them on your bike or cycle alongside them. My mate’s Nan is still cycling everywhere and she’s in her eighties. My mates do their supermarket shop by filling up paniers and rucksacks and taking the kids with them too for a bit of extra help if it’s a big shop. At the weekend, it often takes people 45 minutes+ to get out of the car park at my local Sainsburys. Get people onto bikes and you get a healthier population, less stressful commutes, cleaner air and a more pleasant environment, where you can actually sit outdoors in a city centre and not be slowly poisoned to the sound of roaring engines. We can’t carry on as we are and it seems to me that cycling could be a partial solution to our health and pollution crisis, and overburdened transport networks. If it works in the Netherlands, there’s no reason at all it couldn’t work in the UK.

all good points konk but the issue is space , my wife goes to the yard on a regular basis to look after her horse a distance of prob 5 miles couldnt use a bike due to state of roads etc , she sees cyclists on a daily basis who think they on the tour de france hammering round bends with zero consideration to others , these are cyclin clubs types , lycra ring piece included ,they ride two sometimes 3 abreast across the road , shes uses these road at all times od day and night and has lost count of the amount of times shes nearly hit one coming round the bend on the wrong side of the road , or has no lights visibilty esp in twilight hours.

wonder how many people have been killed using boris bikes since they come in ? prime example of people using bikes with prob zero road awareness but hey im gettting fit so sod the rest of you. or im to drunk to get a cab home ill take a bike.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:16 - Feb 10 with 2144 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:20 - Feb 10 by Konk

More dangerous for whom? I don't know - do you have any stats I could look at? Are you suggesting cyclists should wear rigger boots and jogging bottoms?

I think you know what I'm getting at, Building sites and roads are dangerous and roads far more so if you are exposed.

You can't get on a site now days without hard hats boots and Hi vis and have to do a health and safety test.

Drives have to do tests but any idiot can get a bike and not bother with any safety, no insurance and do whatever they like.. till they get killed, then it's everyone elses fault.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:40 - Feb 10 with 2109 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:49 - Feb 10 by wombat

and also buses , lorries fire engines , ambulances etc
maybe if cyclists paid something towards the upkeep of the roads the councils would have a bit more money coming in , hey just a thought

Roads are paid for out of general taxation - road tax was abolished in 1937. If you pay tax in the UK, you're paying towards the building and maintenance of roads; so cyclists do contribute.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:42 - Feb 10 with 2106 viewsFredManRave

No due care or attention for others, no front or rear lights and breaking the speed limit!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:55 - Feb 10 with 2083 viewsStanisgod

Yes, but hows Charlie ?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:59 - Feb 10 with 2064 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:16 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I think you know what I'm getting at, Building sites and roads are dangerous and roads far more so if you are exposed.

You can't get on a site now days without hard hats boots and Hi vis and have to do a health and safety test.

Drives have to do tests but any idiot can get a bike and not bother with any safety, no insurance and do whatever they like.. till they get killed, then it's everyone elses fault.

I was left hand hooked by an Addison Lee minicab last year — busted my ribs and the cun t sped off as I lay in the middle of the road. Charming. I had a bright pink Hi-Viz bag cover over my rucksack, I was wearing Hi-Viz overshoes and gloves with reflective details, I had my big, bright rear lights going, and I was wearing a helmet. It was 09:30 in the morning with good visibility, but that still didn’t stop that wa nker from wiping me out. So, I’m not sure it helps too much if some dopey t wat is busy staring at Google maps, day dreaming or just a reckless idiot in a rush.

As for blame — I’d take that on a case-by-case basis, and I think most people would, wouldn’t they? As I said earlier in the thread, if someone’s being a complete co ck on a bike and gets themselves into trouble, then my sympathy would rest with the driver. It does make me sigh, though, when I read about some poor soul being crushed by a lorry, and the journalist feels the need to mention that they weren’t wearing a helmet, as though that was the problem. I would love nothing more than to have segregated infrastructure for cyclists, where people of all ages and levels of fitness can toodle about without worrying about being crushed — and I’m sure lots of motorists would love that too — but that can probably only happen with space being taken from either the 1/2 of road space that is taken up with almost permanently parked cars or through reducing lanes of traffic for motorised traffic. Either way, we can’t carry on as we are. And I shouldn't have to send message to my wife every day when I get into work to let her know I'm still alive.

Drivers might take tests, but that doesn't seem to stop them turning without indicating, driving through red lights, eating Ginsters slices whilst looking at phones, switching lanes without indicating, speeding, driving across oncoming traffic because they've spotted a parking space etc. Nor does it stop them driving without insurance (e.g. the fu cker who demolished my wall).
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 16:01]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:02 - Feb 10 with 2048 viewskensalriser

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:42 - Feb 10 by FredManRave

No due care or attention for others, no front or rear lights and breaking the speed limit!

Cad!

Actually speed limits don't apply to bicycles unless prescribed by specific bye-laws.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:27 - Feb 10 with 2020 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:59 - Feb 10 by Konk

I was left hand hooked by an Addison Lee minicab last year — busted my ribs and the cun t sped off as I lay in the middle of the road. Charming. I had a bright pink Hi-Viz bag cover over my rucksack, I was wearing Hi-Viz overshoes and gloves with reflective details, I had my big, bright rear lights going, and I was wearing a helmet. It was 09:30 in the morning with good visibility, but that still didn’t stop that wa nker from wiping me out. So, I’m not sure it helps too much if some dopey t wat is busy staring at Google maps, day dreaming or just a reckless idiot in a rush.

As for blame — I’d take that on a case-by-case basis, and I think most people would, wouldn’t they? As I said earlier in the thread, if someone’s being a complete co ck on a bike and gets themselves into trouble, then my sympathy would rest with the driver. It does make me sigh, though, when I read about some poor soul being crushed by a lorry, and the journalist feels the need to mention that they weren’t wearing a helmet, as though that was the problem. I would love nothing more than to have segregated infrastructure for cyclists, where people of all ages and levels of fitness can toodle about without worrying about being crushed — and I’m sure lots of motorists would love that too — but that can probably only happen with space being taken from either the 1/2 of road space that is taken up with almost permanently parked cars or through reducing lanes of traffic for motorised traffic. Either way, we can’t carry on as we are. And I shouldn't have to send message to my wife every day when I get into work to let her know I'm still alive.

Drivers might take tests, but that doesn't seem to stop them turning without indicating, driving through red lights, eating Ginsters slices whilst looking at phones, switching lanes without indicating, speeding, driving across oncoming traffic because they've spotted a parking space etc. Nor does it stop them driving without insurance (e.g. the fu cker who demolished my wall).
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 16:01]

I'm sorry you got knocked over, Hope you are ok

You say on the left, do you mean you were on the left /inside of the minicab

If so and I know you are going to argue the toss and I know cars do it all the time, overtaking or passing or undertaking as they call it now days....

On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences

It's says Lane to the right. but it's even more dangerous on single lane roads

But I doubt there are many bikers that know the highway code or the law and think it does not apply to them.

If a car is dodging and weaving we would say that's dangerous yet cyclists do it all the time.

It's like you only want rules for drivers and none for cyclists

I think commuting cyclists are aggressive as much as or more so than motorists , just wanting to get from A to B ASAP Head down and go.

Again I know car drivers do it but it's wrong whoever does it
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 16:44]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:42 - Feb 10 with 1991 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:27 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I'm sorry you got knocked over, Hope you are ok

You say on the left, do you mean you were on the left /inside of the minicab

If so and I know you are going to argue the toss and I know cars do it all the time, overtaking or passing or undertaking as they call it now days....

On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences

It's says Lane to the right. but it's even more dangerous on single lane roads

But I doubt there are many bikers that know the highway code or the law and think it does not apply to them.

If a car is dodging and weaving we would say that's dangerous yet cyclists do it all the time.

It's like you only want rules for drivers and none for cyclists

I think commuting cyclists are aggressive as much as or more so than motorists , just wanting to get from A to B ASAP Head down and go.

Again I know car drivers do it but it's wrong whoever does it
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 16:44]

I'm fine, thanks; just in quite a lot of pain for 6-7 weeks. I was cycling along at a decent pace when I was overtaken by the cab, who then immediately turned left, giving me no time to avoid smashing into the side of his car. A woman who saw it, said the cab was totally at fault.

I will undertake when the traffic's backed up for miles, but not in moving traffic. In my early days of commuting, I nearly got myself into trouble with a left turning car when I was undertaking in moving traffic, and I learnt my lesson that day. I’ve avoided doing it since and if I am in two lanes of traffic and in the bus lane, with a turning coming up, I’m very conscious that someone might try and get across me, so adjust my speed accordingly. Like I’ve said, I see some cyclists doing silly stuff every day, in which case I sympathise with drivers trying to anticipate what the cyclist is about to do, but equally, I see appalling driving all the time.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:51 - Feb 10 with 1980 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 16:42 - Feb 10 by Konk

I'm fine, thanks; just in quite a lot of pain for 6-7 weeks. I was cycling along at a decent pace when I was overtaken by the cab, who then immediately turned left, giving me no time to avoid smashing into the side of his car. A woman who saw it, said the cab was totally at fault.

I will undertake when the traffic's backed up for miles, but not in moving traffic. In my early days of commuting, I nearly got myself into trouble with a left turning car when I was undertaking in moving traffic, and I learnt my lesson that day. I’ve avoided doing it since and if I am in two lanes of traffic and in the bus lane, with a turning coming up, I’m very conscious that someone might try and get across me, so adjust my speed accordingly. Like I’ve said, I see some cyclists doing silly stuff every day, in which case I sympathise with drivers trying to anticipate what the cyclist is about to do, but equally, I see appalling driving all the time.

Glad you are okish
We are never going to agree so i'll hope for your safety but will wish you take a bus or walk as next time you may not be lucky.

Oh and if you can beat Wigan tomorrow that would be nice.

*fecking hate foolham*
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 16:51]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 19:04 - Feb 10 with 1914 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:40 - Feb 10 by Konk

Roads are paid for out of general taxation - road tax was abolished in 1937. If you pay tax in the UK, you're paying towards the building and maintenance of roads; so cyclists do contribute.

How often does this need saying?

Not only that, although most motorists probably aren't cyclists; probably almost all cyclists are motorists sometimes, so even if we call it 'road tax' we are focking paying it!
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 22:49 - Feb 10 with 1859 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 19:04 - Feb 10 by izlingtonhoop

How often does this need saying?

Not only that, although most motorists probably aren't cyclists; probably almost all cyclists are motorists sometimes, so even if we call it 'road tax' we are focking paying it!

Well known fact Addison Lee drivers are some of the worst on the road, glad you are ok konk .
If we had the space in London for a proper network cycling would win the getting around argument
We don't and never will have. The compromises aren't gonna work taking out a major road lane near Westminster hasn't helps the situation it's caused more traffic chaos and more pollution that's all

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 20:47 - Feb 12 with 1775 viewsPunteR

What ever we think of cyclists on the roads, its an issue that needs to be resolved somehow.
Personally, i think cyclists are just not compatible with the road ATM. Nine deaths in London last year proves it. (not sure how many other deaths on the road, still might be the safest way to travel)
Of course there's idiot drivers as well as idiot cyclists,but if we're all going to share the roads then there has to be some sort of compromise.
I know that a lot of cyclists are car drivers and possibly feel they pay enough already and also probably know the rules of the road. However , most car and van drivers who dont have the luxury of cycling to work, will feel that cyclists are just an obstacle in the road.
I do feel that if a cyclist wants to be on the road than there should be some accountability, a licence plate and a driving licence.
I think ,rightly or wrongly ,that would help give them some credit on the roads in terms of other users attitude.
I am more considerate and aware of cyclists since having discussions on here and elsewhere and the demo's will help. I give them a nice wide berth in my white transit van when overtaking and sometimes i get a thumbs up. However, i was on Richmond bridge once, on the way to work, stuck at the lights. As i admired the sun rising over the river thames, listening to tunes, thinking about the day ahead,with my window down, I will never forget the day a cyclist who pulled up alongside me and leaned in and shouted "YOU FU*KING W**KER" then rode off, which then preceded with another cyclist, a woman shouting "YOU PRICK, YOUR BLOCKING THE FU*KING ROAD".
As far as i could tell , while sitting in traffic i didnt leave enough room for a cyclist to pass on the inside. Not a crime that i'm aware of , but leads me to think cyclists are a bunch of c*nts as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38944964

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:35 - Feb 13 with 1678 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 20:47 - Feb 12 by PunteR

What ever we think of cyclists on the roads, its an issue that needs to be resolved somehow.
Personally, i think cyclists are just not compatible with the road ATM. Nine deaths in London last year proves it. (not sure how many other deaths on the road, still might be the safest way to travel)
Of course there's idiot drivers as well as idiot cyclists,but if we're all going to share the roads then there has to be some sort of compromise.
I know that a lot of cyclists are car drivers and possibly feel they pay enough already and also probably know the rules of the road. However , most car and van drivers who dont have the luxury of cycling to work, will feel that cyclists are just an obstacle in the road.
I do feel that if a cyclist wants to be on the road than there should be some accountability, a licence plate and a driving licence.
I think ,rightly or wrongly ,that would help give them some credit on the roads in terms of other users attitude.
I am more considerate and aware of cyclists since having discussions on here and elsewhere and the demo's will help. I give them a nice wide berth in my white transit van when overtaking and sometimes i get a thumbs up. However, i was on Richmond bridge once, on the way to work, stuck at the lights. As i admired the sun rising over the river thames, listening to tunes, thinking about the day ahead,with my window down, I will never forget the day a cyclist who pulled up alongside me and leaned in and shouted "YOU FU*KING W**KER" then rode off, which then preceded with another cyclist, a woman shouting "YOU PRICK, YOUR BLOCKING THE FU*KING ROAD".
As far as i could tell , while sitting in traffic i didnt leave enough room for a cyclist to pass on the inside. Not a crime that i'm aware of , but leads me to think cyclists are a bunch of c*nts as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38944964

" cyclists are just an obstacle in the road."

This is a problem of perception. What is actually your prime obstruction on the road? Particularly in London traffic? You know very well it's other white vans, cars, buses etc. But you (by which I mean 'we', as motorists) know there's jack we can do about them, so you blame the slightly errant cyclist who holds you up a tiny bit as he/she avoids a pothole/possibility of a car door opening etc. You toot him/her - anger boiling, get to the next queue, at the next set of lights/junction/etc and the cyclist pootles calmly past you and away...

There are too many four-wheeled vehicles on the road in town. I'm not blaming all the white van men- you need it for your work (most of the time). But I work with plenty of people who are almost proud of their car use for preposterously simple journeys, many of which could - and I would argue, should - be walked, never mind cycled.

I do agree that if red light offences were endorsable cyclists wouldn't do it, myself included - I'm not gonna pretend I sit at a red light on an empty road, or a pelican crossing where the single person who has pressed the button has long gone over and away. But if there was a chance of three points on my licence I absolutely would.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:25 - Feb 13 with 1646 viewsdolcelatte

This does seem to be a very British problem. I've cycled all over Europe and cyclists are given far more respect over there. In many countries you have to give cyclists 1 metre room when overtaking i.e. about the same width as a car. Appreciate that we have narrow roads in places but all the same.

But the biggest factor is the law - in all of Europe you hit a cyclist and you are at fault regardless of actual blame. Ergo motorists are much more wary of cyclists and everyone gets on a whole lot better. Never get the anti cyclist rage you get over here. I've even been cycling up Sa Colabra in Majorca and had a coach going down wait for me to pass on a bend just so I could keep going. That would never happen in the UK.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:23 - Feb 13 with 1603 viewsJuzzie

"This does seem to be a very British problem. I've cycled all over Europe and cyclists are given far more respect over there. In many countries you have to give cyclists 1 metre room when overtaking i.e. about the same width as a car. Appreciate that we have narrow roads in places but all the same. "

I've ridden motorbikes across Europe and feel safer than in the UK. In France when riding to Le Mans vehicles were positively driving into the ditch to let us pass yet here in the UK it's me they try and drive into the ditch.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 09:01 - Feb 16 with 1484 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:35 - Feb 13 by izlingtonhoop

" cyclists are just an obstacle in the road."

This is a problem of perception. What is actually your prime obstruction on the road? Particularly in London traffic? You know very well it's other white vans, cars, buses etc. But you (by which I mean 'we', as motorists) know there's jack we can do about them, so you blame the slightly errant cyclist who holds you up a tiny bit as he/she avoids a pothole/possibility of a car door opening etc. You toot him/her - anger boiling, get to the next queue, at the next set of lights/junction/etc and the cyclist pootles calmly past you and away...

There are too many four-wheeled vehicles on the road in town. I'm not blaming all the white van men- you need it for your work (most of the time). But I work with plenty of people who are almost proud of their car use for preposterously simple journeys, many of which could - and I would argue, should - be walked, never mind cycled.

I do agree that if red light offences were endorsable cyclists wouldn't do it, myself included - I'm not gonna pretend I sit at a red light on an empty road, or a pelican crossing where the single person who has pressed the button has long gone over and away. But if there was a chance of three points on my licence I absolutely would.

Izlington — this is exactly the argument I had the other day with my Father-in-law. He started banging on about a Daily Mail article he’d been reading, which had got him all wound up about cyclists and how they were a menace on the road and contributing massively to pollution (sorry Daily Mail readers!) when I pointed out that it was a load of bollo cks because I actually get about town quicker than most cars during rush hour and produce zero pollution, whilst the people who hold him up in town, the people who undertake/overtake with no indication at 90mph+ on the motorway, the people who bomb down the 30mph lane they live on at 40-50mph and the people who park on the pavement outside their house blocking the footpath to anyone in a wheelchair or with a pushchair; none of them are cyclists. We make a pathetic number of cycle journeys in this country, and if every cyclist stayed at home one day, it would make absolutely co ck-all difference to the average journey time for a car/van driver. Why do I never hear him ranting about motorists? Because he’s one himself, so realises it would be daft to carry on about all drivers being ar seholes. Why does he get angry about sitting behind cyclists for 30 seconds on a country road, when he’ll take a relaxed philosophical view to getting stuck behind a tractor on the same road?*

The latest on Charlie Austin:

http://road.cc/content/news/217575-cyclist-hit-southampton-footballer-issued-fix

So, the bloke goes through an amber light on his second day of cycling, having not ridden a bike for years — probably just assumed that was what you did as it’s so rare that you see a car/van/lorry or even bus stop on amber. Riding into work this morning, I was stopped at the lights at about 06:10 and a car pulls up next to me with the bloke blatantly smoking weed — which made me remember that it ought to be added to the list of drivers indiscretions next time someone tries to hold up motorists as paragons of virtue whilst demonising all cyclists because of red light jumpers, people cycling without lights etc. Most days in the summer, I will notice a car with people smoking weed in it, which you can lob in with drink drivers and people coked off their ti ts, as things that don’t really help with road safety. Two of my colleagues who regularly bang on about cyclists have convictions for drink-driving. I don’t regard all drivers as ars eholes because of the actions of a minority, so it would be nice if the same courtesy was extended to cyclists.

Punter — good to hear you’re more aware of cyclists now — good man. In respect of your Richmond Bridge experience, you will sadly always meet some dic kheads , but it’s not unheard of to have vans and cars nudging across to the kerb in stationary traffic to block cyclists filtering down the inside. It’s happened to me a few times. I think there's a frustration that they're sat in their little box stuck in traffic whilst cyclists can cut through the worst of it and stay on the move.

* After listening to my Father-in-law whinging about cyclists riding two abreast, I sent him a link to this video and he’s now conceded Boardman may have a point:
[Post edited 16 Feb 2017 12:56]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:47 - Feb 16 with 1423 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 19:57 - Feb 8 by HollowayRanger

Hope Charlie and his car are ok

so, now that Charlie was at least partly at fault in this incident; as decided by a court of law, how does that fit in to your spiteful worldview?

Konk.
The sooner that everyone understands that we are all part of the problem - as motorists - instead of 'everyone else except me' we will have taken a small step towards solving transport problems.

When I go travelling beyond N1 and N5; be it train, plane, motorway it always astounds me how astonishingly many people have an urgent desire to be somewhere very different from where they woke. Something's wrong.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2017 12:51]
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:38 - Feb 16 with 1387 viewsTGRRRSSS

He was blamed on the basis that the driver is always to blame for "careless driving" it seems, because he didn't anticipate some muppet ignoring the lights.
Admittedly he's paid more of a price but still it was his choice to go
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:55 - Feb 16 with 1369 viewswillis1980

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:47 - Feb 9 by Konk

It is comparable: if you look at the population density, the two are hardly a million miles apart; you're not comparing Hong Kong with Barnstaple. You have two, old, densely populated European cities with similar climates and broadly similar topography.

In London, people drive 1-2 miles to drop their kids off at school, they drive less than a mile to go to the shops, they drive 1-2-3 miles to go to the gym, take their kids to football etc. Drive 5-10 miles to go and watch football - these are all journeys that even the most moderately fit person could easily do by bike if they felt safe enough to do it.

I'm not suggesting that someone living in Hayes is going to cycle to work in Docklands, but there's no reason you couldn't cut out millions of local journeys every year in London alone if people had the confidence to cycle.

Just out of interest, what do you think the solution is to a clogged road network, over burdened public transport system, rising population and increasingly polluted environment? Knock buildings down for wider roads? Get people off their bikes and into cars?

How old were you when you last rode a bike?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:47]

i live on a main road and opposite a large school, i cant believe how this road usually heaving with vehicles seems almost empty when the schools are on leave. i wish there was a way they could make it so inconvenient for people to drive their kids to school, this should help cut pollution considerably. vehicles seem to be increasing in size and used by people struggling to drive them down tight, theyre also often poorly parked even though theyre too large for the markings anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024