Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non league gems? 21:08 - May 8 with 1092 viewsLeadbelly

Do they still exist? If so, are Col U still trying to unearth a few? Or do the resources ploughed into the academy mean that is now the only route for a young player to make it into the first XI?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Non league gems? on 21:36 - May 8 with 1086 viewsgerry_us

Dan Homan didn't make it more for the fact he wasn't given a chance. Sounds familiar.. Macca?
Players are more likely to fall into non-league than to arrive from there nowadays.
We've a few good 'uns coming out of Florence Park and that's what we need to concentrate on for the future of the club. Some won't make it and will eventually find their level in non-league but hopefully we can find the nucleus of our team from within the ranks.
Non league gems? on 22:10 - May 8 with 1073 viewsdurham_exile

LB - having watched some of the National League play offs on TV, there was little on show to suggest that they should be in the Colchester team next season.

Our Academy seems to be producing the quality required.

The perennial problem is finding the 20 goal per season striker. Undoubtedly Kurtis Guthrie would have reached that target had he not sustained a bad injury.

I was very impressed with Billy Kee (Accrington striker) this season and also Nathan Thomas (Hartlepool winger). Suggest Kee and Guthrie would form a good strike partnership for the Super U's.

The other avenue is U23 loanees from Premier and Championship teams. I thought Pyke was going to be impressive but he fell away badly, perhaps confidence was the problem. He was booked at Crewe and was never the same after that. Perhaps the possibility of Huddersfield achieving the promotion dream distracted him.

Finally Colchester have made some decent recent signings from North of the border (with the notable exception of Joel Thomas and Marino Keith) and that avenue might prove fruitful during the summer months.

I rate Dion Sembie-Ferris and trust that his experience gained at Concorde will stand him in good stead for next season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non league gems? on 11:57 - May 9 with 1024 viewsMoor_Pinot

Good question Whalers.
Yes, my travels around the non league scene for more than many years suggest that they still do exist. The last copy of the Non Lg Paper reported on two signings by Premiership sides only that week.
Careful perusal of that paper and the names cropping up show several players who are clearly at worst very useful indeed. There are strikers at step 3 with 45 + goals. All I would say is that each one of these must be worth a look over by those in the know - ie far better than I - in addition to what we are doing over at Tiptree. It cannot be too difficult for clubs like the U's to check these players out at the same time as following the policy of growing our own.
So,..... Yes, there will be more Vardys. You could even argue Guthrie is on the right track and he came from Non Lg, albeit f/t.

Do both I say. There's also a chap at step 3 for Farnborough who only joined them after Xmas and he's got 15+ goals I believe, name of Cureton.......

Moor Pinot

Non league gems? on 16:43 - May 9 with 1006 viewsbwildered

Quite agree Pinault, however previously many non leaguers would not sign fully pro due to full time jobs .
The Posh seem to sign the most successful that then move on .
Suggest are best signing via this path would be Kevin Bremner and Steve McGavin .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Non league gems? on 22:00 - May 10 with 945 viewsmfb_cufc

Here is an article that touches on this subject, that you might find interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39576834

mfb

Non league gems? on 22:22 - May 10 with 939 viewsdurham_exile

Non league gems? on 22:00 - May 10 by mfb_cufc

Here is an article that touches on this subject, that you might find interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39576834

Mick a very interesting article.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non league gems? on 22:49 - May 10 with 935 viewsdurham_exile

Non league gems? on 22:10 - May 8 by durham_exile

LB - having watched some of the National League play offs on TV, there was little on show to suggest that they should be in the Colchester team next season.

Our Academy seems to be producing the quality required.

The perennial problem is finding the 20 goal per season striker. Undoubtedly Kurtis Guthrie would have reached that target had he not sustained a bad injury.

I was very impressed with Billy Kee (Accrington striker) this season and also Nathan Thomas (Hartlepool winger). Suggest Kee and Guthrie would form a good strike partnership for the Super U's.

The other avenue is U23 loanees from Premier and Championship teams. I thought Pyke was going to be impressive but he fell away badly, perhaps confidence was the problem. He was booked at Crewe and was never the same after that. Perhaps the possibility of Huddersfield achieving the promotion dream distracted him.

Finally Colchester have made some decent recent signings from North of the border (with the notable exception of Joel Thomas and Marino Keith) and that avenue might prove fruitful during the summer months.

I rate Dion Sembie-Ferris and trust that his experience gained at Concorde will stand him in good stead for next season.

Up the U's

Nathan Thomas is the subject of a £300,000 bid from the Blades.

Surprisingly Jordan Slew has been released by The Pilgrims today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non league gems? on 11:08 - May 11 with 908 viewsburnsieespana

With our Academy not sure any real value exists in taking a risk on signing a non league player.
Seem to recall Dan Holland was prolific in non league football but hasn't exactly set the world alight with goals with either us (agree not many opportunities) or Cheltenham since getting back into the league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024