Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGreal balls . 10:47 - Jul 22 with 17561 viewsbwildered

Kpekawa - great fit for the club - unfit to play against WHU .

Season 2016/17 - would have made the play offs if we had another couple of matches .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

McGreal balls . on 06:41 - Nov 8 with 3294 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal balls . on 06:12 - Nov 8 by bwildered

Post Southend - Chuckaturd Special - Sadly JMc cup filleth cover ..
Colchester United head coach John McGreal admits he was disappointed with the performance of his side after they were beaten 2-0 at Southend United tonight to bow out of this season’s Checkatrade Trophy.

The U’s made nine changes to their starting line-up for their final Group B game at Roots Hall, which they had to win to progress to the knockout stages of the competition.

McGreal said: “It wasn’t good.
“They were players who have played in the first team and it wasn’t a weakened team, as such.
“We’ve asked them to put in a performance but they haven’t been able to do that.
“I was expecting more from the players who were given their opportunity to impress.
“We’ve brought players in who have been in the first team before but they looked off the pace at times with their decisions.
“One or two have put in a good shift but others haven’t.”
“With their first goal, we’re trying to switch a 60-yard ball when it’s not on and the shot comes in and they get a tap in,” added McGreal.

“We addressed things at half-time but then within a minute, you’re looking for height and distance on your header and you don’t get it and it falls to their lad and they score.

All sounds alarmingly familiar and I'm sure we'll hear similar comments for the rest of this season. Pathetic really.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

McGreal balls . on 13:13 - Nov 11 with 3217 viewsbwildered

Pre Barnet

“The league has always been our priority this season. The Cup was just going to be nice distraction. I think this weekend is a good game for us,” added McGreal.

Let's hope we depart with the points JMc, otherwise distractions and good games is just cheap talk.
Time to let the results do the talking .
[Post edited 11 Nov 2017 18:43]

McGreal balls . on 18:47 - Nov 11 with 3191 viewsbwildered

Post Barnet

"I have to say "well done" to the fans especially after Tuesday night (at Southend United in the Checkatrade Trophy) where we didn't perform well and didn't have a shot on goal.

"For more than 600 of them to come today, I'm absolutely delighted for them and we got the win together, which is great."

Full credit JMc in the win and substitution that changed the game .

McGreal balls . on 19:29 - Nov 18 with 3101 viewsbwildered

when I took over here that I want to go and try and win games of football and I think you’ve seen that again today.

“It didn’t work out for the first 70 minutes and I thought they did a good job but I thought the last 20 minutes we got a really good foothold in the game and could have come away with a goal with Drey’s strike, that was unlucky.”

Post Morecombe .
Too little too late JMc- seen we tried to win another game in the final 10 mins. Obviously you did not have to pay to get in JMc, to watch this poor performance. Another encounter to be pre active than post active in trying to win a game between two mid mediocre sides might have gained two extra points .
The only difference between this and Oxford City was that we did not concede .

McGreal balls . on 19:53 - Nov 18 with 3090 viewsgerry_us

McGreal balls . on 19:29 - Nov 18 by bwildered

when I took over here that I want to go and try and win games of football and I think you’ve seen that again today.

“It didn’t work out for the first 70 minutes and I thought they did a good job but I thought the last 20 minutes we got a really good foothold in the game and could have come away with a goal with Drey’s strike, that was unlucky.”

Post Morecombe .
Too little too late JMc- seen we tried to win another game in the final 10 mins. Obviously you did not have to pay to get in JMc, to watch this poor performance. Another encounter to be pre active than post active in trying to win a game between two mid mediocre sides might have gained two extra points .
The only difference between this and Oxford City was that we did not concede .

Looks like my alternative title to Durham's game preview was probably correct then...

"....,"Morecambe.....not Wise after the event please JM "
McGreal balls . on 20:51 - Nov 18 with 3083 viewsLeadbelly

Morecambe 'keeper never had a save to make. Nuff said.

McGreal balls . on 06:15 - Nov 19 with 3055 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal balls . on 20:51 - Nov 18 by Leadbelly

Morecambe 'keeper never had a save to make. Nuff said.

I apologise to the Morecambe 'keeper..apparently we had two efforts on target.

McGreal balls . on 17:46 - Nov 20 with 3013 viewsnoah4x4

McGreal balls . on 06:15 - Nov 19 by Leadbelly

I apologise to the Morecambe 'keeper..apparently we had two efforts on target.

We did, but I have seen more powerful shots in blow football. Only Drey Wright's superb attempt that rattled the cross bar had any venom.

Clean sheet, but why set up at home to defend? Until Reid and Wright came on for the last ten minutes we offered zero threat. Oo-er, just been inspired...

.....we had no read and no write....
......and that's what really matters....
.....but we are not that team from up the road....
.....and we don't drive no tractors..
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 17:57]
Login to get fewer ads

McGreal balls . on 18:12 - Nov 22 with 2957 viewsbwildered

Post Lincoln

“It was another great finish by Sammie,” enthused McGreal.

From the South Stand limited room to place inside the post, not spectacular but a fine strike . Forget to mentioned great assist by teammates in build up .

McGreal balls . on 21:04 - Nov 25 with 2900 viewsbwildered

Post Notts County

With regards the missed penalty, McGreal said: “Sammie (Szmodics) scored our last penalty (at Cheltenham), but Mikael grabbed the ball and once he did that, he was always going to take it. He had the bottle to take it,”

Did anyone on the bench have the bottle to tell him not to ?

Notts County boss Kevin Nolan said: “Colchester were very good, and I think they will be up there, or thereabouts, come the end of the season.”

A classic example of crediting a side you have have just taken three points from, please note JMc .

McGreal balls . on 11:02 - Nov 26 with 2861 viewsgerry_us

McGreal balls . on 21:04 - Nov 25 by bwildered

Post Notts County

With regards the missed penalty, McGreal said: “Sammie (Szmodics) scored our last penalty (at Cheltenham), but Mikael grabbed the ball and once he did that, he was always going to take it. He had the bottle to take it,”

Did anyone on the bench have the bottle to tell him not to ?

Notts County boss Kevin Nolan said: “Colchester were very good, and I think they will be up there, or thereabouts, come the end of the season.”

A classic example of crediting a side you have have just taken three points from, please note JMc .

A McGreal balls-up then. Surely there is a nominated spot kick taker and preferably a reliable one.....anyone but Mandron.
McGreal balls . on 17:07 - Nov 26 with 2841 viewsburnsieespana

My view with penalties isd you practice during the week and come match day you designate a specific player to take based upon what you have seen in the previous.
McGreal balls . on 18:38 - Nov 26 with 2832 viewsnoah4x4

McGreal balls . on 17:07 - Nov 26 by burnsieespana

My view with penalties isd you practice during the week and come match day you designate a specific player to take based upon what you have seen in the previous.

I was at the game and my reading was this;

Mandron had a firm header on target, surely he couldn't fail to score? But Tom Eastman tried to assist it and mistakenly put it wide of the post. Frustration for Mandron.

Mandron gives away penalty (again!). Having seen the TV replay no doubt; yet again typical clumsy defending by a striker. Shi5 happens.

Mandron (frustrated) later decides to remedy. Grabs ball; takes penalty ( not the greatest but on target); keeper makes fine save. No doubt words will be said to him behind closed doors.

After that Mandron ran his legs off despite unwarranted personal vocal abuse from a section of the U's crowd. How can that help the player? He got a five rating in the Gazette - justified - but let's not abuse the player whilst we are still in a game. I recall Porter's penalty yet we won against the odds and avoided relegation. Encouragement please!!!!

McGreal now gets abuse despite the U's pressing hard for equaliser. He throws on Reid and Odelusi; cue more abuse of that player. Mandron puts through a stellar ball; Odelusi scores with his first kick. The entire U's team run towards the U's crowd congratulating Odelusi and patting the club badge (Er..... is there a message in that?).

Sadly, now with the U's depleted in defence; McGreal having thrown the attacking kitchen sink onto the pitch, Notts County get another last chance and we are disappointed.

Great game; the U's deserved something; didn't get the luck; on another day we would have won and we should now fear nobody - except perhaps our own fans. OK, Boo at the final whistle if we lose and the performance is bad - but please don't undermine our players when still in the game. McGreal knew that throwing on more attackers was a risk and was doubly proved right we scored, but then couldn't close out the game without Eastman etc.
McGreal balls . on 10:39 - Nov 27 with 2791 viewsburnsieespana

Really good summing up.
The abuse given by a small section of our fans both at games and on various facebook sites is disgusting. Sadly former players like Roy McDonough and Phil Coleman just fuel them by condemning people like Eastman and Mandron.
McGreal balls . on 18:21 - Nov 27 with 2765 viewsbwildered

Penalty debate continues .

“We were all debating it a little bit, because Szmods (Szmodics) took the last penalty, at Cheltenham, so we were all expecting Sammie to pick up the ball,” admitted McGreal.

“But Mikael has grabbed it and you think — ‘OK, fair enough, he has the bottle to take the ball’ — but we all know what happened after that.

“Once Mikael has grabbed it, that’s it really — you try and get it off him! I’m sure if Sammie had wanted it, then he would have got the ball.

All the coaches we have at the club, but no penalty coach ? Job opportunity perhaps .

McGreal balls . on 08:54 - Dec 10 with 2599 viewsbwildered

Post Exeter

"It was a good first hour but then we lost Ryan (Inniss) and we had to adapt and change one or two things.

"We lost a bit of our cohesion and they nicked a goal from a set piece.

"For ten minutes after that, they put us under the cosh a little bit with diagonals coming into the box and Sam (Walker) made a good save.

Luckily we did not concede another straight after and let then back into a game which was over after first half hour . Now we have sorted out the penalty taker, just direct free kicks and attacking on the break need improvement .

McGreal balls . on 18:17 - Dec 16 with 2515 viewsbwildered

Post Swindon

“It was a good time to play Swindon. They are a big team in our league, but they’ve had a few blips of late, just as we had ours earlier in the season. Sooner or later they will turn around their home form, so it was a good time to play them.”

Learning JM , get a result then talk nice things about opposition

McGreal balls . on 20:00 - Dec 23 with 2440 viewsbwildered

Post Port Vale
“But in the end I think that 1-1 was the right result, because Port Vale chased the game in the second half and put us under pressure.

Teams usually do JM when they are behind . Extra pressure when cannot clear the ball also .

McGreal balls . on 21:18 - Dec 23 with 2423 viewsgerry_us

McGreal balls . on 20:00 - Dec 23 by bwildered

Post Port Vale
“But in the end I think that 1-1 was the right result, because Port Vale chased the game in the second half and put us under pressure.

Teams usually do JM when they are behind . Extra pressure when cannot clear the ball also .

We are totally unable to protect a lead. Were we playing in the opposition half or did we defend deeper and deeper?
McGreal balls . on 22:11 - Dec 23 with 2417 viewsnoah4x4

McGreal balls . on 21:18 - Dec 23 by gerry_us

We are totally unable to protect a lead. Were we playing in the opposition half or did we defend deeper and deeper?

Reid was replaced by Cameron James and we reverted to three centre halves.Then Port Vale repeatedly overloaded our defence and justifiably got a goal back. It was their pressure rather than we reverting to defence.

Drey Wright had a shocker. One on one with the keeper should have scored. We also twice hit the bar in a game of two halves. Both goalkeepers made excellent saves. Any result was possible between two in form sides. It is one where we had the chances to win but didn't.
McGreal balls . on 20:04 - Dec 27 with 2352 viewsbwildered

Post Crawley

thought we were a little wasteful and not taking those shots on goal, even in the second half, but that is just me being picky.

Being picky JM after a away two - nil win shows room for improvement to your credit .

McGreal balls . on 08:48 - Dec 31 with 2276 viewsbwildered

Post Chesterfield .
“I keep saying it but it’s fine lines in this division — the two teams have gone hammer and tong, both 4-3-3 and both to win the game," added McGreal, who confirmed he is likely to make changes to his starting line-up for their game against Cambridge United on New Year's Day.

The more points the more prizes JM . Inness available NYD ?

McGreal balls . on 19:15 - Jan 1 with 2244 viewsbwildered

Post Cambridge .

“I was pleased as you don’t like to lose these types of game as it was midway through the second half but in terms of chances, I thought we edged it.

“I knew that they would come at us which they did and I think we defended well.

After a bright first half , one wonders who was the home side in the second JM .

McGreal balls . on 22:32 - Jan 1 with 2220 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal balls . on 19:15 - Jan 1 by bwildered

Post Cambridge .

“I was pleased as you don’t like to lose these types of game as it was midway through the second half but in terms of chances, I thought we edged it.

“I knew that they would come at us which they did and I think we defended well.

After a bright first half , one wonders who was the home side in the second JM .

Was chatting with a neutral in the pub after the game. He wondered why we sat so deep and played on the break when we were the home team. Reasonable questions in my opinion.

McGreal balls . on 09:45 - Jan 7 with 2140 viewsbwildered

Post Cheltenham

“The sending off was the crucial moment. It was pivotal,” insisted McGreal.

“I’ve seen it back on the video and there can be no excuses. Kyel has let everyone down.

“He raised his arms, not once but twice. He’s let his side down.

“I think the sending-off was a shock to the team, and it clearly affected us in the second half, especially with fatigue setting in after all the recent games.”

The back four and the hole went AWOL .
Got away decamping in the previous home game, found out in this .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024