Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend 21:37 - Aug 11 with 1491 viewsdurham_exile

After a much-improved display in the televised Cup Tie against Aston Villa, JM will be looking to secure the Super U’s first league points of the season at home to Darren Sarll’s Stevenage Borough.

Last Saturday the U’s were woeful at times, on Wednesday they earned some much-needed plaudits against a very good Villa team. The pitch was superb given the weather conditions and much credit goes to the club for deploying the covers during the day and to David Blacknall for preparing such a good surface which neither team objected to given the conditions.

Now I believe that JM missed a trick in not playing Gilmartin on Wednesday. Walker did not have the best of games at Accrington and he was badly at fault with the first Villa goal. Gilmartin should have played to leave Walker to look after the league programme.

Despite his horrible penalty miss Mandron played well again, but must convert chances into goals. Frankie Kent was unlucky with the own goal and more than redeemed himself with a smart deflection from Kyel Reid’s initial shot. Sammie Szmodics could have taken the game into extra time but for Steer’s excellent fingertip save.

It was good to see the U’s on TV and the £75,000 fee plus decent gate of 6,603 (incl 1,559 Villa) will have swelled the coffers somewhat.

JM is unlikely to make any changes from Wednesday. Kyel Reid was very impressive and more so when played as an out and out winger rather than having to solely play wing back.

Thrillseeker has criticised the fact that I keep leaving Marmite out of the starting XI and so he is included in midfield. That means that Craig Slater is on the bench (again) but JM must find a way to include perhaps all three in the team but mindful of the fact that the back three is very popular and allows wing backs to be deployed particularly at home.

Prosser, Eastman, Dickenson and Guthrie will all certainly return to the team in due course and so the problems will mount up for team selection. That debate is for another day however.

Team 3,4,1,2 v Stevenage

Walker

James Kent Kpekawa

Jackson Lapslie Murray Reid

Szmodics

Wright Mandron

Subs:

Gilmartin, Vincent-Young O’Sullivan Slater Kinsella Issa Johnstone

Stevenage too have had their injury problems but Sarll will be welcoming Godden back into the starting XI and he is a dangerous opponent.

The weather is set fair in North Essex which will be a welcome relief for all concerned and will mean that our good home from can continue unabated.

The U’s will need three valuable points tomorrow, with the next three league games involving Luton, Forest Green and Cambridge all looking tough on paper.

Enjoy the game. Keep the faith.

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 23:39 - Aug 11 with 1470 viewsnoah4x4

Didn't travel to Accrington, but thought Kpekawa was awful on Wednesday. Repeatedly gave ball away, too slow, didn't look fit to me.

Jury out on Mandron. Terrible penalty, reminds me of Macauley Bonne, always looks threatening but doesn't know where the goal is.
Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 07:20 - Aug 12 with 1451 viewsbwildered

If Eastman is available do we return to three across back ? Will he drop big Sam ?
Despite JM giving the display praise, looks like he has his work cut out getting a play off berth this time around. Unsure he knows his best formation or Xl will cost us valuable games .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 08:47 - Aug 12 with 1438 viewsthrillseeker

Another good preview DE.

I'm not saying Marmite should be in the starting XI . It is more the fact he appears to be to be McGreals favourite and it feels to me he is guaranteed a starting place irrespective of form.

Personally I would prefer Slater but I can see why Marmite is selected

The problem is I believe, as highlighted by others, is that McGreal does not yet know his best starting XI/ formation

The other discussion point appears to be Walker - my view is that he is the best GK at the club and should play.

I feel a 3-1 victory to CUFC is coming today
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 8:51]
Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 09:23 - Aug 12 with 1423 viewsBlueStripes

Don't forget we thrashed Stevenage 4-0 only 4 months ago and it just goes to show how much our expectations have dipped over the summer and after that awful display at Accrington last week, that we'd all be shocked and amazed if we achieved a similar scoreline today!
Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 13:44 - Aug 12 with 1388 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 09:23 - Aug 12 by BlueStripes

Don't forget we thrashed Stevenage 4-0 only 4 months ago and it just goes to show how much our expectations have dipped over the summer and after that awful display at Accrington last week, that we'd all be shocked and amazed if we achieved a similar scoreline today!

An awful lot has changed over the summer. I hope I stand corrected but I fear we will struggle for goals this season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 14:19 - Aug 12 with 1377 viewsdurham_exile

Just the one change Tom Eastman back for Cameron James

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 15:49 - Aug 12 with 1359 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 14:19 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Just the one change Tom Eastman back for Cameron James

Up the U's

Big second half needed from the Super U's

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:09 - Aug 12 with 1351 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 15:49 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Big second half needed from the Super U's

Up the U's

No substitutions for the U's at HT

Johnstone and Issa on the bench, plus Slater

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:10 - Aug 12 with 1349 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:09 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

No substitutions for the U's at HT

Johnstone and Issa on the bench, plus Slater

Up the U's

Plenty to do now - 1-0 to Stevenage

come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:12 - Aug 12 with 1346 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:10 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Plenty to do now - 1-0 to Stevenage

come on the U's

Kinsella on for Kpekawa

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:16 - Aug 12 with 1344 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:12 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Kinsella on for Kpekawa

Come on the U's

Does anyone know how much longer Kurtis Guthrie is going to be out for????????

weeks or months???????

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:21 - Aug 12 with 1341 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:16 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Does anyone know how much longer Kurtis Guthrie is going to be out for????????

weeks or months???????

Up the U's

U's desperate for an equaliser - come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:23 - Aug 12 with 1339 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:21 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

U's desperate for an equaliser - come on

Up the U's

MANDRON

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:25 - Aug 12 with 1337 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:23 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

MANDRON

Is anyone else out there.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:31 - Aug 12 with 1335 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:25 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Is anyone else out there.

Up the U's

Attendance 3,330

Still 1-1

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:34 - Aug 12 with 1333 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:31 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Attendance 3,330

Still 1-1

Up the U's

Slater on for Murray

JM needs to find way to play both of these in midfield.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:36 - Aug 12 with 1331 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:34 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Slater on for Murray

JM needs to find way to play both of these in midfield.

Come on the U's

Sicknote (Loft) is on for Reid.

I do hope that JM is not going defensive.

Come on press for the winner

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:45 - Aug 12 with 1328 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:36 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

Sicknote (Loft) is on for Reid.

I do hope that JM is not going defensive.

Come on press for the winner

Up the U's

3 mins plus injury time

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:48 - Aug 12 with 1326 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 16:45 - Aug 12 by durham_exile

3 mins plus injury time

Come on the U's

4 additional minutes

Durham_exile

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 18:54 - Aug 12 with 1285 viewsLeadbelly

Can I get a refund on my season ticket? If today is any indication of what we have to look forward to for the rest of he season I would like my money back. Without the Stevenage 'keeper's inexplicable rush of blood we wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays? Decent teams will have a field day against our back three, four or five, whatever it is.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 20:33 - Aug 12 with 1257 viewsbwildered

Draw a fair result in this mediocre encounter. Mandron took his goal well considering ball was under his feet, but apart from this brief moment, quality was elsewhere .
Might be early days but, neither team looks capable of a promotion challenge ( inc the pay offs ) on this display. Central midfield with Murray and Lapsie struggled to gain any control, with Szmodics and Wright looking off the pace and only Jacksons long throw got the ball into the box with any regularity .
Poor fare for the punters .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 22:45 - Aug 12 with 1222 viewsmfb_cufc

I agree with the above comments. The first-half was one of the most inept I have ever seen from a Colchester team. We are supposed to have this philosophy of a passing game, but the players must of forgot. Just aimless punts up field that just kept coming back, because our powder puff forwards were continually out muscled. The worst thing Stevenage did was to score, because it was only then we started to play. The only excuse I can offer is the Villa game took a lot out of the players.

mfb

Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 09:51 - Aug 13 with 1166 viewsBlueStripes

It was a woeful game and another poor performance from the U's. It's alarming to see how much this team has gone backwards since the end of last season and from the evidence of yesterday, it looks like we're in for another relegation struggle for which we've come so accustomed over recent seasons. Happy days!
Super U's entertain Stevenage at fortress WHCS this weekend on 18:54 - Aug 15 with 1042 viewsburnsieespana

These days I see few games but was in attendance Saturday on my way to various Pirate Radio events along the east coast but for what it is worth I thought we did not play badly, particularly in the seconf half.
Mandron I liked and think (hope) he has goals in him and when linked up with the energetic Gutherie we might have the means to break down most defences.
As otherwise said thought Lapslie had a non descript game and Reid was without doubt our main attacker. Surprised he was taken off although he had done a lot and good to see Loft on the pitch although have yet to make my mind up what sort of role he can.will play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024