Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Essex almost there. 15:48 - Sep 14 with 1274 viewsmfb_cufc

Essex have just beaten Warwarkshire by an innings, so they only require a maximum of eight points from the last two games to be assured of winning the title. If Lancashire fail to beat Somerset, and that looks very unlikely, then they will be Champions tomorrow.

I heard it said that Essex winning the title is being compared to Leicester winning the Premier League. I don't think it is such big surprise, but at the beginning of the season I am sure their realistic aim would have been just to avoid being relegated.

mfb

Essex almost there. on 17:17 - Sep 14 with 1264 viewsnoah4x4

Shows the strength of the local Shepherd Neame Essex Premier League. Consider the locally produced youngsters that have had a major impact this season, having only just stepped up from local Saturday cricket;

Porter = Chingford
Lawrence = Chingford
Cook (Sam) = Chelmsford
Beard = Chelmsford
Walter = Hornchurch

Lawrence & Porter must surely represent England in the next few years and the local pipeline won't end with them. Look out for these fast developing youngsters...

Joe MacGregor, Essex UK 15 captain - Colchester. I have no doubt he will make it!
Ben Allison, England U19 (but only 17!) - Colchester.
Jack Plom, England U19, Shenfield
Feroze Kushi, England U17, Wanstead.
I could list a dozen more.

The U's similarly also invest in local youth, one hopes that they can replicate the success of our cricketers.
Essex almost there. on 18:39 - Sep 14 with 1252 viewsmfb_cufc

Lancashire end the day with a 45 run lead with only two second innings wickets left. So baring a miracle Essex should be crowned Champions about lunch time tomorrow (weather permitting).

mfb

Essex almost there. on 19:11 - Sep 14 with 1236 viewsgerry_us

As good as champions...for a team that were tipped for a quick return to Div. 2.
Spent a very pleasant Tuesday and Wednesday at Edgbaston courtesy of my nephew on third umpire/video duty. Mighty impressed with Porter and Cook in both innings. Must be said that Warwickshire looked a pretty poor side and thoroughly deserve relegation. Also good to see Cookie at the ground to support the team. Hope that he plays in the final two games but then it is difficult to see who they can leave out. Also got to talk to Don Topley while at the ground. It appears that his son Reece has major back problems so all those who complained when he and Tymal Mills left us can rest assured with our current crop of quickie.
Got to agree with the thread that locally groomed talent features greatly in the team. Got to hope that the U's philosophy works as well.
Essex almost there. on 19:50 - Sep 14 with 1246 viewsmfb_cufc

Hopefully by being Champions Essex can encourage all these promising youngsters to stay with the county. In the past they have lost players like Topley, Mills and Foakes, who all left to "better" themselves. But just like football money talks, and Essex can't compete with the test ground counties. Essex will be the first non-test ground county to win the title since Sussex in 2007. Shows what an advantage these counties have over the rest.

mfb

Essex almost there. on 20:18 - Sep 14 with 1226 viewsgerry_us

Essex almost there. on 19:50 - Sep 14 by mfb_cufc

Hopefully by being Champions Essex can encourage all these promising youngsters to stay with the county. In the past they have lost players like Topley, Mills and Foakes, who all left to "better" themselves. But just like football money talks, and Essex can't compete with the test ground counties. Essex will be the first non-test ground county to win the title since Sussex in 2007. Shows what an advantage these counties have over the rest.

...and Wheater and Chopra have returned "home". Not sure though how many games Wheater will get behind the stumps next season now Fossie is rethinking his retirement.
Essex almost there. on 21:52 - Sep 14 with 1228 viewsLeadbelly

Checking live scores on the internet every few minutes somewhat affected my productivity at work today but who cares? A brilliant season, all the better for being so unexpected. And really good to hear that there is a production line of home-grown talent as well.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Essex almost there. on 22:01 - Sep 14 with 1224 viewsmfb_cufc

It was obvious that Wheater returned to be first choice wicket keeper, but his batting was such a disaster, they had no option but to go back to Foster. What a legend Foster has been. So lucky to have him, because he should have been playing for England instead of Essex.

mfb

Essex almost there. on 00:12 - Sep 15 with 1207 viewsnoah4x4

Essex almost there. on 22:01 - Sep 14 by mfb_cufc

It was obvious that Wheater returned to be first choice wicket keeper, but his batting was such a disaster, they had no option but to go back to Foster. What a legend Foster has been. So lucky to have him, because he should have been playing for England instead of Essex.

At the time of his greatest opportunity, Fossie had particularly tough competition from Alec Stewart and Chris Read, plus albeit that he was arguably the best glove man, his best form with the bat largely came after he was discarded by England. That was Essex's gain though. What a top professional! It is only in recent times that selection of wicket keeper has varied between Test, ODI and T20. In today's paradigm, I reckon Fossie would have won many more caps.

It should also not have surprised anybody that Foakes and Topley left and I don't consider that remotely disloyal. Inevitably, England want it's contracted players and future prospects to be with Division One counties and exposed to the most challenging competition. Topley has since been particularly unlucky with injury.; whilst Foakes must be under consideration.After their departures, nobody would have predicted with any confidence a subsequent Essex promotion out of a challenging Division Two , let alone an immediate Division One County Championship. I recall how Head coach Chris Silverwood (like McGreal/Humes/Moody) was greeted with cynical criticism from some fans. I think he has delivered miracles. I believe that the U's management will eventually deliver too.

Now Essex is back in the top flight, player retention won't be a problem. Wheater's and Chopra's return reflect that. The fact that Chelmsford isn't a test ground is largely irrelevant (except for fans & sponsors). It is Essex Division One status that is more critical. This week, Essex even made the Sky TV 'Main Event' channel ahead of the scheduled golf (unheard off!). . This is why I predict England call ups for Lawrence and Porter before too long. Note how Westley didn't get an opportunity until featuring in the top flight.

Essex have a superb coaching team and I have been privileged to score matches in the last few years ranging from U15, U17 right up to and including First XI. Hence, whilst I can't claim any credit (except for keeping a sharp pencil), I do witness the development of our emergent young players (like Porter, Sam Cook, Dan Lawrence etc) and there is a long pipeline after them.

Look out for another young (under 15) Essex Wicket Keeper; Robin Das, a member of the Essex Performance Programme, who is guesting next week for England Women in their pre-ashes warm up at Chelmsford. Colchester's 15 year old opening bat Joe MacGregor is also due to feature. All 16 of the Women's World Cup winning squad are scheduled to to appear in a three day, two innings, pink ball, floodlit day-nighter (the Essex EPP lads hence make up the 22) . No tickets are required just a charitable donation on the gate. A bumper crowd is expected. Do come and join the fun after work (Tuesday - Thursday).

I also get to see the U's youngsters too. They also encourage me. Hopefully, the doubters are slowly being silenced. If good enough, one is old enough. Rooney, Rashford; Mwappa prove that.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 0:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Essex almost there. on 08:49 - Sep 15 with 1171 viewsMoor_Pinot

Essex almost there. on 00:12 - Sep 15 by noah4x4

At the time of his greatest opportunity, Fossie had particularly tough competition from Alec Stewart and Chris Read, plus albeit that he was arguably the best glove man, his best form with the bat largely came after he was discarded by England. That was Essex's gain though. What a top professional! It is only in recent times that selection of wicket keeper has varied between Test, ODI and T20. In today's paradigm, I reckon Fossie would have won many more caps.

It should also not have surprised anybody that Foakes and Topley left and I don't consider that remotely disloyal. Inevitably, England want it's contracted players and future prospects to be with Division One counties and exposed to the most challenging competition. Topley has since been particularly unlucky with injury.; whilst Foakes must be under consideration.After their departures, nobody would have predicted with any confidence a subsequent Essex promotion out of a challenging Division Two , let alone an immediate Division One County Championship. I recall how Head coach Chris Silverwood (like McGreal/Humes/Moody) was greeted with cynical criticism from some fans. I think he has delivered miracles. I believe that the U's management will eventually deliver too.

Now Essex is back in the top flight, player retention won't be a problem. Wheater's and Chopra's return reflect that. The fact that Chelmsford isn't a test ground is largely irrelevant (except for fans & sponsors). It is Essex Division One status that is more critical. This week, Essex even made the Sky TV 'Main Event' channel ahead of the scheduled golf (unheard off!). . This is why I predict England call ups for Lawrence and Porter before too long. Note how Westley didn't get an opportunity until featuring in the top flight.

Essex have a superb coaching team and I have been privileged to score matches in the last few years ranging from U15, U17 right up to and including First XI. Hence, whilst I can't claim any credit (except for keeping a sharp pencil), I do witness the development of our emergent young players (like Porter, Sam Cook, Dan Lawrence etc) and there is a long pipeline after them.

Look out for another young (under 15) Essex Wicket Keeper; Robin Das, a member of the Essex Performance Programme, who is guesting next week for England Women in their pre-ashes warm up at Chelmsford. Colchester's 15 year old opening bat Joe MacGregor is also due to feature. All 16 of the Women's World Cup winning squad are scheduled to to appear in a three day, two innings, pink ball, floodlit day-nighter (the Essex EPP lads hence make up the 22) . No tickets are required just a charitable donation on the gate. A bumper crowd is expected. Do come and join the fun after work (Tuesday - Thursday).

I also get to see the U's youngsters too. They also encourage me. Hopefully, the doubters are slowly being silenced. If good enough, one is old enough. Rooney, Rashford; Mwappa prove that.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 0:30]

It's grand news Noah.

I concur with everything about the investment in youth. Counties who have taken their eye off the ball are not as strong as they once were [remember Kent in the 70s] or they have their eyes on other things [Hampshire and the Rosebowl development.] Bravo for the Essex set up.
Having lived so long down in Somerset they operate the same policy and although they've never won anything important it provides strength. I played in the Essex league and in Somerset's equivalent and to promote from within is so much more satisfying. I hope the U's can eventually do this through their structure, it may take time.
I am sure Somerset will sort Lancashire out today!

{Whilst still playing in Essex I used to umpire some of the County XIs and I recall one game with an Under 15 lad called Hussain. He was a tiny fellow and was number 11 because of his leg spin. I don't think he got a bowl. Wonder what became of him!?}

Bravo the County Champs
Must go, visitors here in my studio - the french of course don't understand cricket.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Essex almost there. on 12:05 - Sep 15 with 1157 viewsLeadbelly

Somerset beat Lancashire by 7 wickets so Essex are champions. Well done all those concerned. Absolutely brilliant.

Essex almost there. on 12:56 - Sep 15 with 1140 viewsgerry_us

Essex almost there. on 12:05 - Sep 15 by Leadbelly

Somerset beat Lancashire by 7 wickets so Essex are champions. Well done all those concerned. Absolutely brilliant.

Now to go through the season unbeaten.

Surrey third in the division having won only one game out of 12. Still hope for U's then!
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 22:03]
Essex almost there. on 11:39 - Sep 16 with 1105 viewsbwildered

Momentium, belief confidence and luck played a big part .
It really was a team effort .Delighted for all those involved .
Let's hope the Fletcher , Gooch era can now be replaced with another .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Essex almost there. on 22:57 - Sep 17 with 1070 viewsnoah4x4

Essex almost there. on 11:39 - Sep 16 by bwildered

Momentium, belief confidence and luck played a big part .
It really was a team effort .Delighted for all those involved .
Let's hope the Fletcher , Gooch era can now be replaced with another .

A new Fletcher era is yet to come.

Keith coaches and mentors the Essex under 15's team which is full of talent; Semi-finalists in the 2017 Royal London County Cup. Sorry for the blatant plug, but a number of this outstanding group are supporting England Women in their last pre-ashes warm up on Tuesday - Thursday at Chelmsford.
Essex almost there. on 14:53 - Sep 18 with 1036 viewsburnsieespana

Yes hearty congratulations to Essex.
It is magnificant achievement to have ten from a squad of 13 win Div !.
I was a member during the great Fletcher/Gooch winning period but that only came about due to Tonker Taylor's hard work in the very late 60's when the club were all but bust and he had no choice but to play youngsters.
Will never forget that Lord's final when we won our first silverware.
Just maybe this side can win a bit more silverware as we seem, from real need to be producing some good young cricketers through our Acadamy.
Sad to think both Tonker and Doug Insole two stalwarts of the club have both died this year without seeing us once again Champions.
Essex almost there. on 18:54 - Sep 18 with 1026 viewsbwildered

But alas, Colchester EE relegated from Essex Premier League by one point .

Essex almost there. on 22:08 - Sep 18 with 1008 viewsgerry_us

Essex almost there. on 18:54 - Sep 18 by bwildered

But alas, Colchester EE relegated from Essex Premier League by one point .

I said earlier "Also good to see Cookie at the ground to support the team. Hope that he plays in the final two games but then it is difficult to see who they can leave out?"
Available for Hants. but not in the squad. Probably a decision made by management and Cookie. Who would you leave out? Hope he gets to play the last one at Chelmsford as he has been so influential during the early part of the season.
Essex almost there. on 07:33 - Sep 19 with 998 viewsnoah4x4

THE Shepherd Neame Essex Premiere League is full of exceptional quality due to Essex policy of encouraging its contracted players to participate when appropriate. For example, Zaidi at Ilford; Porter at Chingford; Cook (Sam) and Beard at Chelmsford. Wanstead have Nijjar, Velani and Essex 2nd XI captain Ellis-Grewell. The full time County contracted players obviously don't play every week, but when they do, inevitably it is challenging. Their availability has often coincided with playing Colchester & East Essex!

By contrast, Colchester & East Essex is highly focused on developing its Essex youngsters. Opening bat (and Essex U15 captain), Joe MacGregor was merely aged 14 for much of the season. Ben Allison has made England U19 at merely age 17. Josh Rymell is merely 17, whilst Suffolk Wicketkeeper, Ollie Lovejoy merely 18. These lads have made some big contributions, but are not always available when their schools won't release them.

Colchester & East Essex had one of the better overall bowling attacks in the league, but were too frequently poor when batting. Often bowled sides out; or restricted sides batting first to modest scores, then couldn't chase down scores of under 200. The team was also very unlucky with the weather; were twice in strong winning positions when rain caused an abandonment just before twenty overs were completed and hence Duckworth Lewis Stern might apply. Another dry 20 minutes at Southend would have offered certain victory and hence league safety, but the home side survived at Colchester's expense.

Our local team should immediately bounce back from Division One (as they did only a few years ago). The pipeline of young talent is plenty good enough to do so, whilst some other clubs are dependent on players in the twilight of their careers (example; former Essex players like Tom Moore; Matt Salisbury etc). It is a shame that we can't persuade Graham Napier to grace Castle Park again, but Reece Topley has made one appearance in the last two seasons . But the youth will shine through. It's worked for Essex.....
Essex almost there. on 11:32 - Sep 19 with 985 viewsLeadbelly

I met a mate of mine yesterday. Fellow Essex supporter whose son (mid teens) plays to a high standard. He recalled a recent game when a fast bowler, part of the Essex set up, was playing for the opposition. Without any cockiness at all the young man told everyone he would be bowling spin as he felt he would rip through the batting line up if he did what he was best at. He then took 3 wickets in 5 balls!!

It would appear, as Noah has illustrated, the future looks very bright indeed.

Essex almost there. on 20:27 - Sep 19 with 958 viewsgerry_us

Not quite going to plan today.
Performing a bit like the U's.
Essex almost there. on 18:53 - Sep 20 with 928 viewsbwildered

Essex in the media recently were portrayed has perennial drifters in D2, lets hope Col & EE do not become a yo-yo club and the youth do develop, starting with a prompt return to Essex Premier League next season.

Essex almost there. on 20:21 - Sep 29 with 852 viewsmfb_cufc

I thought this thread was worth bumping up again, now that Essex managed to go the season undefeated, and especially due to that incredible win against Hampshire.

Also I wondered what other board members thought about Middlesex unfortunately being relegated. I say unfortunate because they only got relegated due to the two points deduction they received for a slow over rate in the abandoned game against Surrey, when a crossbow was fired onto the ground. Their argument was they would have increased the over rate, so they didn't lose any points, in the time remaining if it wasn't for the unique abandonment. I agree with them, as teams do it all the time through the season. Apparently there is no form of appeal, so they are down. Last seasons Champions as well.

mfb

Essex almost there. on 21:23 - Sep 29 with 842 viewsLeadbelly

Essex almost there. on 20:21 - Sep 29 by mfb_cufc

I thought this thread was worth bumping up again, now that Essex managed to go the season undefeated, and especially due to that incredible win against Hampshire.

Also I wondered what other board members thought about Middlesex unfortunately being relegated. I say unfortunate because they only got relegated due to the two points deduction they received for a slow over rate in the abandoned game against Surrey, when a crossbow was fired onto the ground. Their argument was they would have increased the over rate, so they didn't lose any points, in the time remaining if it wasn't for the unique abandonment. I agree with them, as teams do it all the time through the season. Apparently there is no form of appeal, so they are down. Last seasons Champions as well.

Perhaps a bit rough on Middlesex but cricket is getting slower and slower and it's the fans who are cheated by the slow over rate. If they'd bowled their overs a bit quicker they would have stayed up, even allowing for he crossbow incident.

Essex almost there. on 21:24 - Sep 29 with 841 viewsgerry_us

Essex almost there. on 20:21 - Sep 29 by mfb_cufc

There is also a lesson to be learned in that last season Middlesex won the title and went through the season unbeaten...and then get relegated. Essex, be aware.
You will also have seen the photos of the umpire holding the aforementioned cross bow arrow. He is my nephew who I rely on for complimentary tickets around the county circuit especially for Essex fixtures. Apparently Middlesex were way behind the rate and would probably not have achieved the required run rate if they had played until midnight.
Essex almost there. on 15:05 - Sep 30 with 813 viewsburnsieespana

As an Essex supporter who saw the Fletcher/Gooch glory years I think the boys have done fantastically well this year.
Before the season started I thought they would struggle but marvellous the young guns have played such an influential part.
Harmer was an inspired signing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024