Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames 11:03 - Sep 21 with 2078 viewspafcprogs

Plymouth fan in peace here

Whilst bored on holiday this summer I started looking at funny and obscure player nicknames....

So do you have any particularly amusing ones in your locker

Also any of the following which most clubs seen to have

Beast
Psycho
Animal
Flying pig ( goalies in the main :) )
Trigger

Cheers

Peter
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 14:03 - Sep 21 with 2055 viewsLeadbelly

Sicknote could be applied to an alarming number of the first team squad

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:28 - Sep 22 with 2009 viewsbwildered

Every club must have a Smudger . Sheedy and Rooster more obscure .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:39 - Sep 22 with 2007 viewsLeadbelly

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:28 - Sep 22 by bwildered

Every club must have a Smudger . Sheedy and Rooster more obscure .

Pat "Rio" Baldwin

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:50 - Sep 22 with 2003 viewswessex_exile

Most clubs have a "Dave" at some point too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:08 - Sep 22 with 2001 viewswessex_exile

Was Chris Fry universally known as "Twiggy", or was he just immortalised as such by Special Duties?

Up the U's

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:01 - Dec 2 with 1812 viewspafcprogs

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:08 - Sep 22 by wessex_exile

Was Chris Fry universally known as "Twiggy", or was he just immortalised as such by Special Duties?

What Special Duties might they be ???

I found a Rooster in Wrexham Kevin Russell...who is yours?
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:35 - Dec 2 with 1810 viewswessex_exile

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:01 - Dec 2 by pafcprogs

What Special Duties might they be ???

I found a Rooster in Wrexham Kevin Russell...who is yours?

Special Duties were a punk rock band from Colchester, quite big in the late 70s and early 80s, but even with the obligatory occasional splits thrown in, are still playing now. They're also big U's fans, and in recognition of us reaching the AutoWindscreens final in '97 released a track "Wembley Wembley". This effectively immortalised the results of each round in the journey to Wembley, and included the line (from our 2nd leg Southern Region final against Peterborough, carrying a 0-2 deficit from the 1st leg), "Twiggy and Buckle reduced the arrears, and Paul Abrahams wiped away our tears" - this was Paul Abrahams' Golden Goal in extra-time. We lost the final to run-away league champions Carlisle United, but only on penalties after a 0-0 draw, and to be honest Carlisle had to park the bus to cling on to the draw as the match went on.

Our Rooster is Tony Adcock (if you haven't guessed, he's a ginger).

Up the U's

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 11:29 - Dec 6 with 1742 viewspafcprogs

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:35 - Dec 2 by wessex_exile

Special Duties were a punk rock band from Colchester, quite big in the late 70s and early 80s, but even with the obligatory occasional splits thrown in, are still playing now. They're also big U's fans, and in recognition of us reaching the AutoWindscreens final in '97 released a track "Wembley Wembley". This effectively immortalised the results of each round in the journey to Wembley, and included the line (from our 2nd leg Southern Region final against Peterborough, carrying a 0-2 deficit from the 1st leg), "Twiggy and Buckle reduced the arrears, and Paul Abrahams wiped away our tears" - this was Paul Abrahams' Golden Goal in extra-time. We lost the final to run-away league champions Carlisle United, but only on penalties after a 0-0 draw, and to be honest Carlisle had to park the bus to cling on to the draw as the match went on.

Our Rooster is Tony Adcock (if you haven't guessed, he's a ginger).

Thats awesome, thanks for that...

Tony Adcock,,,,always seemed to score against us ...or is that just my memory....

I remember the first time I went to Layer Road when you has the split end and managed to get into the wrong side....but was able ( in those days to just walk round the ground to get back to my fellow Greens....a long Friday night home after a 5-2 thumping and Brian Hall thinking "What have I done!!!" 1976 or 77.

I knew Tony Adcock ( first??) missus Kim...works in the games business as a recruiter....

There must be more nicknames than the three so far though!

Peter
Login to get fewer ads

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:51 - Dec 6 with 1714 viewsgerry_us

The old'uns amongst us may remember Martyn "Noddy" King, a prolific scorer in tandem with Bobby Hunt. He was so nicknamed as he nodded as he ran. Didn't affect him scoring though. Could do with his like now.
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 20:34 - Dec 6 with 1706 viewswessex_exile

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 11:29 - Dec 6 by pafcprogs

Thats awesome, thanks for that...

Tony Adcock,,,,always seemed to score against us ...or is that just my memory....

I remember the first time I went to Layer Road when you has the split end and managed to get into the wrong side....but was able ( in those days to just walk round the ground to get back to my fellow Greens....a long Friday night home after a 5-2 thumping and Brian Hall thinking "What have I done!!!" 1976 or 77.

I knew Tony Adcock ( first??) missus Kim...works in the games business as a recruiter....

There must be more nicknames than the three so far though!

Peter

Haha - Tony Adcock was a prolific striker, he regularly scored against most teams, so maybe not your memory :-)

Okay, so this might just be coincidence, but I remember being in the Layer Rd end for a Friday night game against Plymouth in the mid-70s (which we won, but don't remember the score), with three (I think) Plymouth fans stood right at the back, just left of the goal as you look out on to the pitch, and right behind me. I was only a spotty teenager at the time, but there was a bit of banter going on, then we scored, the Layer Rd end erupted, and the Plymouth fans sensibly left - could that have been you? If so, we have briefly shared the same square metre of terracing!

Up the U's

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:49 - Dec 8 with 1648 viewspwrightsknees

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 18:51 - Dec 6 by gerry_us

The old'uns amongst us may remember Martyn "Noddy" King, a prolific scorer in tandem with Bobby Hunt. He was so nicknamed as he nodded as he ran. Didn't affect him scoring though. Could do with his like now.

We also had Albert "Digger" Kettle (even before my time), Russell "Daisy" Blake, Trevor "Chopper" Harris, Cyril "Squib" Hammond, more recently Richard "Skippy" Garcia.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2017 18:22]
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 20:14 - Dec 8 with 1637 viewsgerry_us

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 17:49 - Dec 8 by pwrightsknees

We also had Albert "Digger" Kettle (even before my time), Russell "Daisy" Blake, Trevor "Chopper" Harris, Cyril "Squib" Hammond, more recently Richard "Skippy" Garcia.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2017 18:22]

Oh thanks for making me feel really old PWK. I knew Digger and worked with his brother Dave Kettle at Woods of Colchester. And Russell Blake whose only ambition in life was run towards the corner flag and then...panic.
Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 13:41 - Dec 9 with 1604 viewsthrillseeker

Classic Funny or witty U's Player Nicknames on 20:14 - Dec 8 by gerry_us

Oh thanks for making me feel really old PWK. I knew Digger and worked with his brother Dave Kettle at Woods of Colchester. And Russell Blake whose only ambition in life was run towards the corner flag and then...panic.

All way before my time.

However I know 'Digger' Kettle's daughter. She has/ did have some great memorabilia of her dad and the U's from his time there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024