Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park 00:43 - Sep 28 with 838 viewsdurham_exile

A tremendous fish n chip supper, good company, a point away from home — so why did I travel back to Durham very much down in the dumps. Simply because we should have secured all three points.

A good journey down from Durham to North Lincolnshire (140 miles). Motorways (including the new section of the A1(M) from Catterick to Bedale recently opened, leaving only the section to Barton to be completed) all were clear and it was only the last 5 or so miles when we encountered the sea fret which would impact upon the game at various intervals.

My son and I met up with Gerry on Cleethorpes Pier recently refurbished and resplendent with Papas 500-seater Fish N Chip restaurant. Now Gerry and I both have affiliation to Margate in Kent and it was there in 1966 that Papas started their restaurant business. Fast forward to 2017 and they have a classic restaurant on the pier and absolutely top-notch fish n chips. I had a medium haddock and it was truly superb, cooked to perfection with very tasty chips and garden peas. The syrup sponge to follow was equally enjoyable and set us up for the evening’s entertainment.

Now Blundell Park was just over a third full with 3,438 spectators including 89 from Colchester. I would have thought that the true figure was closer to 150, but in the sea fret conditions it was difficult to see everyone!

The pitch as you would expect for September was immaculate and the U’s lined up thus:

Walker

Jackson Innis Kent Vincent-Young

Wright Loft Comley Reid

Mandron Hanlan

Subs:
Gilmartin Kinsella Kabamba Odelusi James Szmodics Murray.

Scott Vernon (former promotion season favourite) played 78 minutes for the home team and was given an ovation by the faithful.

Now to be fair to JM he set up in an attacking formation and took the game to Russell Slade’s Grimsby from the outset.

MOTM was undoubtedly Kyel Reid who fizzed in some wicked corners. In fact, after 5 minutes he created the first of his two goals from a corner that he took and when it was parried by the keeper Reid purposefully edged towards the centre of the goal and struck a ferocious shot which appeared to deceive the keeper and go through his legs and into the net.

Sadly, the U’s defensive weaknesses didn’t take long to manifest themselves. A long through ball towards JJ Hooper was comfortably going to be cleared by Ryan Inniss but he elected to dither on the ball and it was pinched from under his feet by Hooper who slotted past Walker.

Inniss had a nightmare first half and gave the ball away shortly afterwards but fortunately for the U’s the ball was blazed over the bar.

Dembele hit the post with Walker beaten for the hosts but in truth it would have been rough justice for the U’s who dominated proceedings.

The sea fret started to roll in but it seemed to be affecting the home supporters in the Pontoon Stand rather more than the faithful who sang loud and proud throughout the first half. As quickly as it arrived the mist departed and half time brought no changes in personnel.

Immediately after the restart Colchester again took the initiative and took the game to their opponents. It was the lively Kyel Reid who scored a superb second after good work down the left wing, his shot with the outside of his boot was delightfully steered into the corner of the net from just insider the penalty area.

The U’s were deservedly ahead (again) and the faithful shouted “how **** must you be, we’re winning away”. At this point the sea fret retuned with a vengeance and thoughts turned to an abandonment but again the mist cleared sufficiently for the game to continue.

Now I know that Reid has been injured but he was not only our most influential player but also the Grimsby defence had no answer to his mazy runs. It was disappointing therefore to see him replaced in the 71st minute by James as JM foolishly decided to hang onto what we had. Worse still the lively Hanlan was also removed and replaced by Sammy Szmodics whilst the ineffectual and frankly useless Mandron stayed on. I wonder if he is in some way related to Joel Grant.

Sammy Szmodics had little time to influence the game before he was fouled by Summerfield only 6 minutes after coming on. He went down and stayed down in obvious agony. The medics stretchered him off after 78 minutes to be replaced by Sean Murray.

We wish Sammy well and trust that he will not be out for too long.

The foolishness of JM’s tactics became all too clear when we started to play deeper in our own half and this of course encouraged the Mariners on.

The home faithful at last woke up and the atmosphere increased. Matt was fouled by Jackson in the 89th minute and the penalty was duly despatched by Jones. It was not only a kick in the teeth but also extended my winless run of games whilst watching the U’s incredibly to three years.!!!!

I was both angry and distraught in equal measure. Shades of Morecambe last season where an 88th minute penalty denied us all three points.

5 added minutes failed to separate the teams and so we clocked up our first away point of the season, but it should have been three.

In truth this was an undeserved point for the Mariners but incredibly Slade reckoned that they were the better team. Even the most partisan Mariner would be hard pressed to justify that assertion and Slade is clearly deluded if he believes otherwise.
JM will argue that we must see games out but bringing defenders on and playing deeper simply encouraged the home team.

It is great news that Slater and Guthrie will be returning soon, they cannot come back quickly enough. Mikael Mandron is simply not good enough. I have seen him twice now at Accrington and Grimsby and he is ineffectual, fails to find a colleague with his passing and I cannot remember him actually shooting at goal last night.

Note to JM, Billy Kee scored twice more last night. He has so far notched 8 goals for the Lancashire club this season.

JM was definitely wrong to take Reid off and also wrong to leave Mandron on whilst taking Hanlan off. The best way to defend a lead is to play in the opponent’s penalty area not allow them to push our hard-pressed defence back and back.

Saturday will mark almost the first quarter of the season. The U’s are already 9 points off the play offs and Yeovil warmed up for their clash at Huish Park with the U’s with a 3-2 away win at almost doomed Chez Vegas.

Drop Mandron, play Hanlan and Kabamba up front. Use Reid and Jackson and be more positive in the final third of the game.

The fact is that we have lost five of the first ten games and conceded 18 goals. Our away from is wretched and so much pressure is being put on the home form that we have slipped dangerously in the league.

JM must be positive at Yeovil and look to secure that elusive first way win of the season.

Get well soon Sammy.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 13:32 - Sep 28 with 796 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, Kabamba has been awful. At least Mandron has some clue what he is supposed to do. But I agree, I would have left Hanlon on and took Mandron off.

Totally concur about 150. See my explanation in your earlier pre-match thread.
Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 13:42 - Sep 28 with 794 viewsgerry_us

Great report Pete.
I thought we had agreed not to mention the syrup sponge!
Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 17:33 - Sep 28 with 767 viewsbwildered

Notice the non appearance of Lapsie, not even on the bench . Injured ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 18:00 - Sep 28 with 763 viewsgerry_us

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 17:33 - Sep 28 by bwildered

Notice the non appearance of Lapsie, not even on the bench . Injured ?

Suspended, five red cards I think.
Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 22:10 - Sep 28 with 728 viewsdurham_exile

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 18:00 - Sep 28 by gerry_us

Suspended, five red cards I think.

Gerry five yellows!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 22:45 - Sep 28 with 720 viewsgerry_us

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 22:10 - Sep 28 by durham_exile

Gerry five yellows!

Up the U's

Didn't I tell you I was colourblind?
Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 23:58 - Sep 28 with 714 viewsdurham_exile

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 22:45 - Sep 28 by gerry_us

Didn't I tell you I was colourblind?

So am I!!!!

Durham_exile

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 07:20 - Sep 29 with 702 viewsnoah4x4

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 23:58 - Sep 28 by durham_exile

So am I!!!!

Is that is the team's problem when we play away?. We seem to struggle to hit the same quality of pass. Is it the ghastly black/grey and lime green away strips?

We should start a campaign - play in blue & white except where a genuine colour clash.
Login to get fewer ads

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 11:24 - Sep 30 with 636 viewsMoor_Pinot

100% agrre Noah & I have said this on here for years but Wessex tells me it is difficult due to sponsorship money on the away shirts.

A quick scan down our fixtures suggests to me that we'd only need an "away kit" for the games at Chesterfield, Carlisle and Morecombe - possibly at Wycombe. Otherwise there are no clashes. There are 4 lots of red and white stripes and 4 lots who play in red, 4 in amber or gold, two in white, 2 in green and 2 in black and white stripes. There would be no clash whatsoever with Coventry as the blue is so different.

Yes, start the campaign!

Moor Pinot

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 17:58 - Sep 30 with 615 viewsLeadbelly

Travel sickness and another late penalty cost the U's points at Blundell Park on 11:24 - Sep 30 by Moor_Pinot

100% agrre Noah & I have said this on here for years but Wessex tells me it is difficult due to sponsorship money on the away shirts.

A quick scan down our fixtures suggests to me that we'd only need an "away kit" for the games at Chesterfield, Carlisle and Morecombe - possibly at Wycombe. Otherwise there are no clashes. There are 4 lots of red and white stripes and 4 lots who play in red, 4 in amber or gold, two in white, 2 in green and 2 in black and white stripes. There would be no clash whatsoever with Coventry as the blue is so different.

Yes, start the campaign!

Grimsby and Notts County play in black and white stripes so away kit required there as well I would think.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024