Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bricklayers 15:44 - Oct 9 with 2551 viewspwrightsknees

In the days of Fred and Hazel, Mrs. PWK and I used to be lunchtime regulars at the Brickies, but haven't been back since it temporarily closed. Some questions for any of you who may still go there.
What's it like now (atmosphere, noise, service etc.)?
Do they still have a good range of well-kept real ales?
What about lunchtime food? (the ham egg and chips used to be brilliant).
Any comments will be gratefully received.

Bricklayers on 18:04 - Oct 9 with 2534 viewsLeadbelly

Not a patch on what it was previously in terms of atmosphere or drinks available. Don't know about the food as I've never eaten there.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bricklayers on 18:54 - Oct 9 with 2526 viewsthrillseeker

Sad to say it isn't very good now. As the nearest pub to home I did visit a lot but these visits are becoming less and less.

The most recent experience of food for a work lunch was an epic fail although on that day the normal chef was absent due to illness. However the food reports from others are not great.

I will give it a few more visits before I decide to call time up and find a new haunt
Bricklayers on 16:49 - Oct 10 with 2471 viewsnoah4x4

Suggest grab a takeaway from any one of numerous great value outlets on North Station Road and enjoy the friendly ambience and range of quality beers at the Victoria. Inn.

Yes, a rare example of a pub that welcomes you to bring in food of your choice. The staff will even supply cutlery, but if smelly (Indian) please eat in the covered back yard, and put packaging in the bins provided. Domino's (across the road) have even delivered to me so I didn't have to leave my pint!
Bricklayers on 15:45 - Oct 12 with 2388 viewspwrightsknees

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sadly, it's pretty much as I thought it would be.

My younger daughter who used to attend the quizzes at the Brickies sent me this link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1322715651173194&id=106910892753682

Good to hear about the Victoria, Noah. It was not very good when worked in North Station Road a few years ago. Sound like a transformation. I'll give it a go.

Up the U's
Bricklayers on 17:19 - Oct 12 with 2376 viewsthrillseeker

Bricklayers on 16:49 - Oct 10 by noah4x4

Suggest grab a takeaway from any one of numerous great value outlets on North Station Road and enjoy the friendly ambience and range of quality beers at the Victoria. Inn.

Yes, a rare example of a pub that welcomes you to bring in food of your choice. The staff will even supply cutlery, but if smelly (Indian) please eat in the covered back yard, and put packaging in the bins provided. Domino's (across the road) have even delivered to me so I didn't have to leave my pint!

Thanks Noah - I wasn't aware The Vic allowed takeaways to be taken in to be eaten on site.

The Fat Cat did something similar but I no longer visit this pub due to office move and being the other side of town so not sure if it is still allowed
Bricklayers on 19:13 - Oct 12 with 2360 viewsnoah4x4

Bricklayers on 17:19 - Oct 12 by thrillseeker

Thanks Noah - I wasn't aware The Vic allowed takeaways to be taken in to be eaten on site.

The Fat Cat did something similar but I no longer visit this pub due to office move and being the other side of town so not sure if it is still allowed

Owners Andy and Sheena decided from the outset there was no point in competing when surrounded by a huge variety of existing food outlets. Instead, best focus on what they do best....

Overall policy, focus on great beer, but bring your own grub, great jukebox, great live music (sundays), wine/cheese/other 'clubs', no darts, no gambling machines, no televised football, no louts, and foster a great comeraderie between regulars and visitors. Has since won multiple CAMRA awards having attracted a strong and loyal following.

Match days, very friendly to U's fans that behave, and the pub shuttle bus stops outside (on request). But we stay later, buy a 'match day rover' (£2.50), jump on a number 61 or 65 and join a shuttle bus at Bruff Close. Most away fans are welcomed too. Post match pub bus drops you back......pizza or chips and a pint....
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 19:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024