Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) 19:54 - Oct 22 with 980 viewsgerry_us

A belated report as I thought I would give myself time to remember the highlights of the game. Frankly there were none. This was the archetypal boring no score draw. I would imagine if they were still playing now the score would be the same.
Without Garvan and Smodicz we are virtually toothless. Mandron is not the answer to our prayers. And Coventry…they have now not scored in four games, look unlikely to score in the next four and are a shadow of the club of ten years ago. I understand from a steward that they do not even have a contract to play at the Ricoh next year. Is playing football ruining the pitch for rugby?
The match itself was dire. How they determine what are shots on goal amazes me. Neither goalie dirtied their monster gloves and knees stayed sparklingly clean. The U’s showed a bit of attacking spirit during the first half without ever threatening the Sky Blues goal. After the break we again decided that an away point would be good and withdrew deeper and deeper and gave the opposition some confidence to go forward. However, as I said on Durham’s match preview I like the pairing of Innis and Eastman but I wish Innis would not play out from the back when he is last man. He got caught a few times, one instance resulting in him and Nazon being booked for a tussle. Eastman looked solid and even featured in an attack where it could be conceived he dived in the box but it was such a poor dive he got straight up without any appeal. Ref was noted to have a quiet word.
All the action, such that it was happened in the last 15 minutes. Lapslie got himself booked belatedly for a poor tackle and then for a deliberate handball within touching distance of the corner flag less than a minute later. Up to that point I had been reasonably happy with his contribution and that of Kent. However sheer stupidity could have cost us the game as we were under pressure for the remainder of the game but without, in all honesty, Coventry never looking likely to score.
To the other point raised on the board, another instance of stupidity on behalf of a very small bunch of U’s supporters which left myself and many around be both distracted and embarrassed. The fact that it left an injured steward needing medical attention should be concern for the club. If as Noah stated it was “youngsters” fuelled with alcohol surely it is in the remit of the club to refuse to allow these guys from travelling on the supporter’s buses. They are obviously not old enough to drive! It’s not the first time and probably won’t be the last but it cannot always be the result of overzealous stewarding.
Four points in a week from two difficult away fixtures should be seen as very acceptable result but in truth Coventry were there for the taking and we either didn’t recognise the signs or have the ability to achieve a result that was in our grasp.
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 22:06 - Oct 22 with 956 viewsnoah4x4

Gerry, please don't misquote me!

Whilst I did mention the issues of alcohol as a general malaise and how it was sensibly managed by stewards at Grimsby (!!!), it was NOT a factor here. The reason being that both the CUSA bus and two Roman coaches arrived so late (2.00pm) due to roadworks on the A14, that nobody had time to get a drink, let alone get drunk, and certainly not any of the boys involved here.

Rigid alcohol consumption restrictions also apply on both bus services (e.g. none). The kids concerned were on the Roman coach (I was on CUSA). It is libelous to suggest that either carrier or the club doesn't properly manage this. Yes, there is another group that travel by minibus (or train) that occasionally do embarrass us under the influence, but nobody involved here had travelled by such routes nor was alcohol a factor. These were just a few stupid kids.

One cannot deny that at times the over exuberance of our youngsters does need curtailing, but it cannot justify the violent assault on them conducted by the Coventry stewards. Gone are the days of capital and corporal punishment. Just as in schools, we can't belt them with a big stick. Hence, there should also be prohibition of private army's in the guise of thug response teams. This could have been far better managed, and it seemed to me that the Coventry response team simply wanted "action". Only when the regular police arrived was any sanity restored.

The steward that got injured has only himself to blame. He attempted to dance across vacant seats that were nowhere near any of these particular U's fans and he fell solely due to his own lack of caution. I can only assume that he was so keen to get involved with a ruck that he had not got the patience to approach this more sensibly. As far as I know, nobody has been charged with any assault on him and as a witness I would willing defend anybody that was. NO U's fans touched him!

I find myself in truly uncomfortable territory standing up for these yobs as I don't approve of ANY misbehaviour, but this matter deserves proper consideration by reasonable minded adults, and not by a brigade that wants to tar and feather them. Violence simply breeds violence and any response to misbehaviour should be in proportion, whilst justice deserves proper consideration. I am confident that nobody will be charged or banned following this incident. Many fans filmed it so the evidence exists. Unsavoury yes; unnecessary yes; unsatisfactory, yes; but it didn't require the disproportionate thug response of the stewards.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 22:18]
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 01:18 - Oct 23 with 938 viewswessex_exile

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 22:06 - Oct 22 by noah4x4

Gerry, please don't misquote me!

Whilst I did mention the issues of alcohol as a general malaise and how it was sensibly managed by stewards at Grimsby (!!!), it was NOT a factor here. The reason being that both the CUSA bus and two Roman coaches arrived so late (2.00pm) due to roadworks on the A14, that nobody had time to get a drink, let alone get drunk, and certainly not any of the boys involved here.

Rigid alcohol consumption restrictions also apply on both bus services (e.g. none). The kids concerned were on the Roman coach (I was on CUSA). It is libelous to suggest that either carrier or the club doesn't properly manage this. Yes, there is another group that travel by minibus (or train) that occasionally do embarrass us under the influence, but nobody involved here had travelled by such routes nor was alcohol a factor. These were just a few stupid kids.

One cannot deny that at times the over exuberance of our youngsters does need curtailing, but it cannot justify the violent assault on them conducted by the Coventry stewards. Gone are the days of capital and corporal punishment. Just as in schools, we can't belt them with a big stick. Hence, there should also be prohibition of private army's in the guise of thug response teams. This could have been far better managed, and it seemed to me that the Coventry response team simply wanted "action". Only when the regular police arrived was any sanity restored.

The steward that got injured has only himself to blame. He attempted to dance across vacant seats that were nowhere near any of these particular U's fans and he fell solely due to his own lack of caution. I can only assume that he was so keen to get involved with a ruck that he had not got the patience to approach this more sensibly. As far as I know, nobody has been charged with any assault on him and as a witness I would willing defend anybody that was. NO U's fans touched him!

I find myself in truly uncomfortable territory standing up for these yobs as I don't approve of ANY misbehaviour, but this matter deserves proper consideration by reasonable minded adults, and not by a brigade that wants to tar and feather them. Violence simply breeds violence and any response to misbehaviour should be in proportion, whilst justice deserves proper consideration. I am confident that nobody will be charged or banned following this incident. Many fans filmed it so the evidence exists. Unsavoury yes; unnecessary yes; unsatisfactory, yes; but it didn't require the disproportionate thug response of the stewards.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 22:18]

Coventry stewards faced a barrage of criticism after doing absolutely nothing to prevent one of their supporters getting on the pitch last week, and then did nothing to try and get him off again. I wonder if that criticism might have contributed to their behaviour yesterday?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 08:31 - Oct 23 with 924 viewsnoah4x4

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 01:18 - Oct 23 by wessex_exile

Coventry stewards faced a barrage of criticism after doing absolutely nothing to prevent one of their supporters getting on the pitch last week, and then did nothing to try and get him off again. I wonder if that criticism might have contributed to their behaviour yesterday?

That would be my conclusion Wessex.

Although I didnt personally hear this, it has been suggested to me that when our boys were being told to "sit down" they responded "why pick on us, when it is obvious that no similar action is being taken in the Coventry corner where six times as many youths are standing?". I think that is a fair observation supporting our assumption.

The kids drum also always seems to be a magnet for stewards to react. As others have reported, yet again, U's fans created all of the "atmosphere". Not sure if it had any influence here, but on a number of past occasions we have witnessed stewards trying to confiscate it citing a no musical instruments policy. But you can't smuggle in a device of this size. It won't even go through most turnstiles. So if it wasn't stopped on entry, what provokes a desire to remove it? I recall this happening at Mansfield yet there was no attempt to surpress the home drumner. Ahhhh, perhaps objections from home fans that we are firing up our team....? Or was the objection from fat stag Evans?

Perhaps needs a public enquiry into stewarding and a review of EFL ground regulations? After all, people are still moaning about WHCS stewarding, but my own view is that after making the same draconian errors as Coventry, our stewarding has improved massively, but still doesn't mirror the superb welcome and common sense applied by Grimsby that (IMHO) have it spot on.
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 08:32 - Oct 23 with 924 viewsdurham_exile

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 01:18 - Oct 23 by wessex_exile

Wessex I mentioned in my preview that the idiot who invaded the pitch after the Forest Green Rovers match has been banned for life by CCFC.

I very much regret reading about the problems involving a minority of supporters which appears to have overshadowed the football.

The point gained would normally be welcomed but the Sky Blues are so poor that I tend to agree with Gerry two pints lost.

I have watched the bizarre sending off and conclude that Marmite was stupid to fall on the ball. The assistant referee clearly flagged to indicate an offence and the ref was left with no option but to send him from the field.

Fortunately it did not cost us but had we played the full 90 mins with a full complement we might have won the game.

Listening to JM, there must be two Mandrons, the one that most of us see is a donkey, personally I cannot wait for Guthrie to return but JM rushed him back too soon, it was foolish to play him against Gillingham in the meaningless cup match and he is now facing a set back.

We should now look forward to victories against Crewe and Oxford City to cement a decent haul of results for October and early November.

Oh and a final word about the idiotic small minority of young supporters who follow the U's. They shame the club with their language and behaviour. Just focus on supporting the club, keep the faith and enjoy the games.

The subject of over zealous stewards is also sadly a facet of the game at certain grounds. As someone once said I love it when my prejudices are reinforced. I happen to loathe Coventry after an incident at Highfield Road and would not be upset if they were relegated to the National League.

In the meantime up the U's and let's get the discussion back to football and results as the Us hopefully continue to climb the table.

Durham_exile

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 11:47 - Oct 23 with 901 viewsgerry_us

Oh how I wished I had stuck to the match report and not even replied to Wessex's request for details. Talk about a "can of worms". I resign as Durham's ghost writer.
Did anyone watch the last fifteen minutes of the match? Actually it was the only part worth watching as we mounted a successful rear-guard action after one moment of madness. Pity that other matters took precedent over supporting our team. Also never lose sight of the fact that if the young U's supporters had behaved in any sort of reasonable manner there would have been no need for stewards to become involved. End of....
And by the way, drums are actually banned at Grimsby on midweek matches because of nuisance noise to local residents. That fact was established last season.
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 12:25 - Oct 23 with 890 viewsthrillseeker

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 11:47 - Oct 23 by gerry_us

Oh how I wished I had stuck to the match report and not even replied to Wessex's request for details. Talk about a "can of worms". I resign as Durham's ghost writer.
Did anyone watch the last fifteen minutes of the match? Actually it was the only part worth watching as we mounted a successful rear-guard action after one moment of madness. Pity that other matters took precedent over supporting our team. Also never lose sight of the fact that if the young U's supporters had behaved in any sort of reasonable manner there would have been no need for stewards to become involved. End of....
And by the way, drums are actually banned at Grimsby on midweek matches because of nuisance noise to local residents. That fact was established last season.

Gerry - you were not at bar at 14:30 a blue/ white hat
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 12:45 - Oct 23 with 882 viewsgerry_us

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 12:25 - Oct 23 by thrillseeker

Gerry - you were not at bar at 14:30 a blue/ white hat

Was in attendance but no hat, but distinguished grey hair. Perhaps I don't look as old as described. After everything since, maybe should have gone shopping with Mrs Gerry instead...only joking
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 12:57 - Oct 23 with 879 viewsMoor_Pinot

Very much appreciate the report and observations Gerry - your words, viewpoints and perspective are always interesting and informative as I try to use my imagination to make up for the exiled nature of my life. I really felt as though I was at the Ricoh - mind you, p'raps I was in the best place here as it doesn't sound very inspiring stuff on Saturday. The BBC stats only tell a minor part of the story every game so very very grateful for the flesh on their bones. I loved the sentence so perfectly describing the way goalkeepers dress these days! I think I'd hoped for a point as we never seem to do much with Coventry and the slight improvement in our away form may be valuable as we seem to be conceding fewer now. Can't help feeling we need Guthrie and Dickinson badly. Why is Slater not yet in the starting XI, he was a pretty decent midfielder last season and I wondered if we may lose him. Again, many thanks - Durham has a worthy ally! Up the U's.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 13:03 - Oct 23 with 876 viewsthrillseeker

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 12:45 - Oct 23 by gerry_us

Was in attendance but no hat, but distinguished grey hair. Perhaps I don't look as old as described. After everything since, maybe should have gone shopping with Mrs Gerry instead...only joking

No, never be put off supporting the team

As we have never met my daughter found it amusing I was looking at everyone wondering whether to introduce myself

A long shot but were you were wearing a blue CUFC jacket, beige trousers and white Reebok trainers?
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 13:08 - Oct 23 with 873 viewsgerry_us

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 13:03 - Oct 23 by thrillseeker

No, never be put off supporting the team

As we have never met my daughter found it amusing I was looking at everyone wondering whether to introduce myself

A long shot but were you were wearing a blue CUFC jacket, beige trousers and white Reebok trainers?

Yep, that was me. What would have caused problems however were several elderly vacant looking grey haired single gentlemen of which I was one.
We could always try again in November at Notts County?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 13:18]
Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 15:07 - Oct 23 with 852 viewsthrillseeker

Bore draw at the Ricoh (by Durham's assistant) on 13:08 - Oct 23 by gerry_us

Yep, that was me. What would have caused problems however were several elderly vacant looking grey haired single gentlemen of which I was one.
We could always try again in November at Notts County?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 13:18]

I had a feeling that was you. Will introduce myself next time

Due to work I will probably only be able to attend the following away games FGR, Morecombe, Lincoln and Exeter although if things change I will of course attend more than those quoted
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024