Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS 21:37 - Nov 3 with 1318 viewsdurham_exile

JM is surely looking forward to the magic of the F A Cup this weekend with a home tie against non-league Oxford City. After the rigours of the league this will not only be a welcome distraction but also the chance for the U’s to start to dream of another glory tie against one of the Premier League’s big six teams.

Now of course the team and management are all making the right noises; no complacency, not taking anything for granted, being professional etc but in fairness and with no disrespect to the National League South side, they should be well beaten at the WHCS on Saturday.

Oxford City, managed by Mark Jones, have nothing to lose and absolutely no pressure on them as they prepare to face the Super U’s. They have a history that can be traced back to 1884 and their motto is “Fortis est Veritas” — Truth is strong! They sit 21st in the National League South and have not won in the league since August, but they are unbeaten in the Cup!

Tomorrow is not a day for sentiment, JM must ensure that Colchester put them well and truly to the sword. 5-0 would be the correct sort of result for this encounter.

There has been talk this week that both Kane Vincent-Young and Sammie Szmodics are close to a return but tomorrow is too soon for them both. Southend on Tuesday may be the opportunity to ease them back ahead of the important game at Barnet the following Saturday.

Pompey have asked that Kabamba not be considered because they do not want him cup tied, although they have a difficult tie at Luton to overcome first.

Marmite will be back after his suspension and the impressive Doug Loft appears to be gaining more match minutes every week. Guthrie, Dickenson and Prosser all remain long term injuries, but it will be great to have them back in the New Year.

I hope that JM plays a strong team something along these lines in a 3,4,3 formation:

Walker

Eastman Inniss Kent

Jackson Loft Lapslie Reid

Wright Mandron Hanlan

Subs:
Gilmartin Kpekawa Kinsella O’Sullivan Odelusi Comley Slater

After Mikael Mandron scored his first ever league brace, he must be rating his chances of a hat trick against Oxford tomorrow. The key will be to start quickly and score early to ease any potential banana skins and then to ensure that the U’s superior fitness holds sway.

The weather tomorrow in North Essex is set for rain showers and occasional sunny intervals with a high of 12 degrees Celsius. The pitch will be pristine and will not require watering!

Despite the controversial nature of the closure of certain stands, the faithful will be willing the Super U’s to a handsome victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 10:17 - Nov 4 with 1280 viewsbwildered

Could be the tragic of the cup if we repeat a 1993 Sutton Untited, Layer Road home defeat - 25 years !!
Youths had a scare in the cup last Tuesday night, so you have been warned .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 15:48 - Nov 4 with 1245 viewswessex_exile

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 10:17 - Nov 4 by bwildered

Could be the tragic of the cup if we repeat a 1993 Sutton Untited, Layer Road home defeat - 25 years !!
Youths had a scare in the cup last Tuesday night, so you have been warned .

Very tight game so far, with both sides hitting the bar. U's should be in front, but Mandron lifted the best chance of the first half over the bar. Certainly sounds an entertaining game.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 16:03 - Nov 4 with 1241 viewswessex_exile

Oxford City take a 1-0 lead after 10 seconds, whilst the U's are still in the changing room...

Up the U's

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 17:01 - Nov 4 with 1212 viewsgerry_us

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 16:03 - Nov 4 by wessex_exile

Oxford City take a 1-0 lead after 10 seconds, whilst the U's are still in the changing room...

Looks like we need a change of manager.
Embarrassing!
The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 17:02 - Nov 4 with 1212 viewsMoor_Pinot

Déjà vu Wessex. All rather predictable given our abject history at this sort of thing. It's never easy to beat these sides but the Milton Keynes football team showed how to do it last night. In my 60 years of support the U's have often mis prepared teams to face the so-called minnows. Don't know if that happened today but certainly not surprised by it, nor will I be if we win at Barnet. It's in our DNA and I wish it were not!

Moor Pinot

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 18:08 - Nov 4 with 1174 viewspwrightsknees

Look on the bright side. There'll be no fixture congestion for us this season.
The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 18:33 - Nov 4 with 1163 viewsbwildered

A classic example of just turning up and going through the motions, then realising with ten remaining better do something about it to no avail.

Out fought and out thought - extra time board goes up and Walker does not go upfield for a corner.
Either the players are not good enough, or your in the wrong job .
Hang your head in shame JMc,
[Post edited 4 Nov 2017 18:36]

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 20:13 - Nov 4 with 1128 viewsdurham_exile

Simply not good enough.

Once again an inability to convert chances 20 attempts, 7 on target.

Very disappointing.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 22:33 - Nov 4 with 1087 viewsmfb_cufc

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Those 20 attempts flattered us, I can only remember their goalkeeper making one save. When you consider the opposition, the second-half was one of the worst performances in the clubs history. We never looked like scoring, and probably wouldn't if we were still playing now. We were awful against Crewe, but because we got lucky JM picks the same team today. Drey Wright is not a left wing-back, and Kyle Reid has probably never played in the hole behind the strikers in his career, but he is now. But that seems to be a trait of JM, put square pegs in round holes. Guthrie as a midfielder anybody. We are in a reasonable position in the League, mainly due to the quality of the squad, certainly not due to the management. JM's post match interview showed just how soft he is, no annoyance in what was a complete inept "performance" today.

mfb

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 11:02 - Nov 5 with 1029 viewswessex_exile

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 22:33 - Nov 4 by mfb_cufc

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Those 20 attempts flattered us, I can only remember their goalkeeper making one save. When you consider the opposition, the second-half was one of the worst performances in the clubs history. We never looked like scoring, and probably wouldn't if we were still playing now. We were awful against Crewe, but because we got lucky JM picks the same team today. Drey Wright is not a left wing-back, and Kyle Reid has probably never played in the hole behind the strikers in his career, but he is now. But that seems to be a trait of JM, put square pegs in round holes. Guthrie as a midfielder anybody. We are in a reasonable position in the League, mainly due to the quality of the squad, certainly not due to the management. JM's post match interview showed just how soft he is, no annoyance in what was a complete inept "performance" today.

So I'm going to say something a tad controversial - I'm not to bothered about the result. Yes, it's embarrassing, but we've had embarrassing results before, and we'll have embarrassing results again. Congratulations to Oxford City, you deserved that, and I hope your reward is the easiest possible route through to the 3rd round and a big money-spinning tie.

What I'm really bothered about is MFB's review, which is worryingly very similar to my observations after our lacklustre performance earlier in the season at Cambridge. These are professional footballers, backed up by a professional well-financed management team, yet far too often they show a complete inability (or more worryingly reluctance) to raise their game and show some passion and pride in the shirt they wear.

As has been pointed out, we are now blessed with a complete absence of fixture congestion, and even have a weekend off next month, so I expect this problem to be dealt with once and for all by Xmas. If not, I'm afraid Jon McGreal must take the responsibility and make way for a new man in time for the January transfer window.

Up the U's

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 11:46 - Nov 5 with 1016 viewsTheHappyGooner

As I said in my post

No Heart

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 13:30 - Nov 5 with 1001 viewsbwildered

Which brings another point.
Four loanees in the starting line up, and another on the bench , if we cannot field our own eleven, their must be something fundamentally wrong in the coaching / management department with the confidence in the abilities of our own players to perform against a side two divisions below ( no disrespect intended).
This really was a gift horse in the mouth fixture of a cup tie draw could offer .

Walker

Kent Eastman James
Jackson Slater OSullivan Loft Kinsella
Wright
Mandron .
[Post edited 5 Nov 2017 13:51]

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 19:28 - Nov 6 with 883 viewsdurham_exile

Having just watched the second round draw, I am still seething at the pathetic performance the players put in on Saturday.

Apart from the £18k lost in revenue, the minnows from Oxford city have a decent draw against Notts county.

Tuesday night the players owe the supporters a performance at scummend.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 21:20 - Nov 6 with 863 viewsgerry_us

Sure do love the "magic of the cup" when unknown minnows take on established league teams and occasionally pull off a remarkable result. Don't you just love the FA Cup?
Oh bugger....NO.
The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 22:42 - Nov 6 with 850 viewswessex_exile

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 21:20 - Nov 6 by gerry_us

Sure do love the "magic of the cup" when unknown minnows take on established league teams and occasionally pull off a remarkable result. Don't you just love the FA Cup?
Oh bugger....NO.

It's great when you're the minnow, not so great t'other way around.

Ironically, given no one really gives a flying fig about the Chuckaturd Trophy, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we bounced back to win at Roots Hall. However, next Saturday is far more important, so I'm predicting JMcG to do a "Big Roy" and play the requisite number of first teamers tomorrow night, but everyone in the wrong position.

Up the U's

The magic of the Cup comes to the WHCS on 23:08 - Nov 6 with 845 viewsmfb_cufc

Tomorrows game could be a chance to give Slater, Lapslie, Szmodics and KVY a run out. If so I feel it would only strengthen our team. As for playing players out of position, JM wont have a problem with that, as he does it all the time anyway.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024