Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane 17:55 - Nov 24 with 1053 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his resurgent Super U’s to Meadow Lane for a tough test against one of the promotion contenders, Kevin Nolan’s Notts County on Saturday afternoon.

The weather is set fine, but a cool 5 degrees in the centre of Nottingham and so the pitch should suit the U’s passing game. Meadow Lane is not one of our happier hunting grounds, but JM is fashioning a team capable of achieving promotion and the U’s should travel with a degree of expectation rather than fear.

Nolan is a wily old campaigner and has assembled a team consisting of several 30 something players including Jon Stead (34) and Shola Ameobi (36). Last season they tore the U’s apart in a 3-1 mauling where Chris Porter scored a superb goal but Ameobi was simply different class that day.

This season Ameobi has been often rested between consecutive matches, whilst there has been a lot of nonsense about Stead receiving a “dead leg” against the Glovers and missing the game tomorrow. This of course is gamesmanship, Stead will undoubtedly line up for the Magpies as Nolan looks to maintain a great run at home using his “Dad’s Army” against JM’s youthful pretenders.

Sadly, I cannot be there tomorrow but with my recent record of U’s games that is probably just as well. The irony is that I strongly believe that the U’s will prevail in front of a bumper crowd (£10 admission) in what could be a classic encounter.

Even a draw will be considered a decent result, but we need to demonstrate intent and win at the home of the Magpies. Key players are all on the way back and when Prosser, Guthrie, Murray and Dickenson return it will be like a new team in the new year.

Now despite Doug Loft sustaining another injury on Tuesday night, the U’s have an able replacement in Comley. JM is also thinking I am sure about playing a virtually unchanged team.

Therefore, something along the following lines in a 3,5,2 formation:

Walker

Eastman Inniss Kent

Jackson Lapslie Comley Szmodics Vincent-Young

Wright Mandron

Subs:

Gilmartin Kinsella James O’Sullivan Slater Reid Hanlan

The top nine placings after 19 games looks like this:

Luton 19 38
Notts Co 19 38
Accrington 19 37
Exeter 19 33
Swindon 19 32
Coventry 19 31
Mansfield 19 31
Wycombe 19 30
COLCHESTER 19 29

Tomorrow’s game is huge therefore and it is great for once to realise that a victory could see the U’s enter the top seven places. That would be something to celebrate at 4.50pm.

The faithful will travel in number for this one. Much has been written about the more youthful element this week. As long as they get behind the team and allow the players to write the headlines on Sunday, I will be delighted.

Safe journey to the faithful, enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 12:45 - Nov 25 with 996 viewsburnsieespana

Up the U's and a draw would be a fine result after I think, 9 defeats on the bounce at Meadow Lane!
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 15:52 - Nov 25 with 981 viewsgerry_us

0-0 We have been all over them without taking the several chances we have had. County haven't a clue up front without Stead and have been pretty toothless ...so far.
We have got to follow up the best first half performance by far I have seen the season with another one. We must not sink into the old philosophy of a point would be good here. We must go for the jugular, they are there for the taking.
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 19:02 - Nov 25 with 932 viewsgerry_us

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 15:52 - Nov 25 by gerry_us

0-0 We have been all over them without taking the several chances we have had. County haven't a clue up front without Stead and have been pretty toothless ...so far.
We have got to follow up the best first half performance by far I have seen the season with another one. We must not sink into the old philosophy of a point would be good here. We must go for the jugular, they are there for the taking.

Livid..gutted. More when I calm down..maybe.
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 19:06 - Nov 25 with 930 viewsdurham_exile

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 15:52 - Nov 25 by gerry_us

Absolutely gutted and having just seen the highlights we definitely lost 3 points when we deserved a point at the very least.

Still years ago we played Buryat Layer Road we were outplayed by the Shakers but managed to win with a Lindsay Smith goal, Bury were hard done by just as we were today but both teams were promoted at the end of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 19:21 - Nov 25 with 924 viewsgerry_us

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 19:06 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

Absolutely gutted and having just seen the highlights we definitely lost 3 points when we deserved a point at the very least.

Still years ago we played Buryat Layer Road we were outplayed by the Shakers but managed to win with a Lindsay Smith goal, Bury were hard done by just as we were today but both teams were promoted at the end of the season.

Up the U's

Good job you were not there Peter. I would have had to perform resuscitation.
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 20:32 - Nov 25 with 895 viewsgerry_us

I hate to say "told you so" but U's didn't turn up for the second half until too late. I can't believe that half time talk would have been of a credible draw but County's team talk would have had to be astounding to warrant what happened second half. We did not mount one attack for the first twenty minutes of the second half and just invited County to attack us with renewed enthusiasm especially as they were very second best first half. Pressure mounted on us until the inevitable. Mandron apparently gave up the penalty but not clear enough to comment more. Only being 1-0 down did we return to the earlier endeavours with the resultant penalty award for us. All around were shouting "not Mandron" and how right we were...awful penalty. However continued in attacking ways and finally scored the goal of the game on 88 minutes. Still we failed to protect what would have been a well deserved point when we poorly defended a late corner in 93 minute. You just couldn't make it up. When will we play for 90 minutes? If? we play as we did for first half for the remainder of the season anything is possible. If we play as we did in second half goodness knows what could happen.
Just an aside, excellent support from 350 travelling supporters and all were still in the ground at the final whistle.
JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 22:31 - Nov 25 with 857 viewsdurham_exile

JM' Super U's to clip Magpie's wings at Meadow Lane on 20:32 - Nov 25 by gerry_us

I hate to say "told you so" but U's didn't turn up for the second half until too late. I can't believe that half time talk would have been of a credible draw but County's team talk would have had to be astounding to warrant what happened second half. We did not mount one attack for the first twenty minutes of the second half and just invited County to attack us with renewed enthusiasm especially as they were very second best first half. Pressure mounted on us until the inevitable. Mandron apparently gave up the penalty but not clear enough to comment more. Only being 1-0 down did we return to the earlier endeavours with the resultant penalty award for us. All around were shouting "not Mandron" and how right we were...awful penalty. However continued in attacking ways and finally scored the goal of the game on 88 minutes. Still we failed to protect what would have been a well deserved point when we poorly defended a late corner in 93 minute. You just couldn't make it up. When will we play for 90 minutes? If? we play as we did for first half for the remainder of the season anything is possible. If we play as we did in second half goodness knows what could happen.
Just an aside, excellent support from 350 travelling supporters and all were still in the ground at the final whistle.

Gerry thanks for the write up.

I am devastated by the result and you are right I would have needed oxygen after that result.

Worse still we have no game next week and if we did it would be back at Meadow Lane.

Bring on the Grecians.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024