Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changing faces 11:29 - Nov 29 with 752 viewsnoah4x4

Just watched my recording of the U's v Spurs FA Cup game (oh, the joy of retirement).

What really struck me is just how much the U's starting XI has changed under John McGreal (having taken over from Kevin Keen) and how many of the previous squad have departed the club. I compare with last Saturday's XI (Notts County) = now.

Then Now

Kean Walker
Brindley Kent
Wynter Innis
Eastman Eastman
Vincent-Young Vincent-Young
Gilbey Lapslie
Garvan Comley
Massey Wright
Moncur Jackson
Ambrose Mandron
Porter Szmodics
(Sorry about the lack of spacing between columns).

Then, there was massive criticism of "too many Academy players" ( a couple) but on Saturday there were five. Only two of that Keen XI remain at the club, both still crowd favourites.

My point is McGreal can justifiably claim 'now' to be his personal XI given his previous involvement with the youth set up and subsequent signings. He therefore deserves any credit for the success that may be on the horizon.

The U's have since suffered relegation from Division One. When this Spurs game was played we were seven points adrift in the relegation zone. Note how many of the 2016 XI have since left the club! Perhaps this thread might foster thoughts about who we miss from the earlier XI? How are they doing now? Do we really miss them?

Might it be that our current squad is better equipped for Division One?

Could be an interesting discussion.......!

[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 11:30]
Changing faces on 20:17 - Nov 29 with 714 viewsFruitbat

Walker would have played had he not been injured.

How about this as a starting XI from the two squads?

Walker

Kent Innis Eastman

Jackson Gilby Lapslie Moncur KVY

Porter Szmodics
Changing faces on 20:34 - Nov 29 with 711 viewsbwildered

The glimmer twins, Gilby and Moncur would walk into any D2 side we could possibly put out .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024