Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston 23:10 - Dec 8 with 1717 viewsdurham_exile

After an enforced fortnight’s rest after the Oxford City debacle, JM prepares to welcome Paul Tisdale’s Grecians to the WHCS on Saturday.

In recent matches Exeter have held the Indian sign over their Essex counterparts but I think the tide is turning. Tisdale is wanted by Birmingham City (although having watched their recent game against Wolves, he would perhaps be forgiven for passing up on the so-called opportunity) but he will undoubtedly have been unsettled by the experience.

Exeter are 4th on 36 points whilst Colchester are 11th on 29 points. Tomorrow is therefore a real six pointer and the Super U’s will have been buoyed by the return to training of Sean Murray and Kurtis Guthrie.

I do not expect either player to start but both will be on the bench. Now the weather is certainly more seasonal, but the worst of the snow appears to have affected the western side of the country and whilst the ground will be firm, it looks to be a dry cold which will help the U’s passing game.

JM will be looking to retain a settled team and the break should have helped training and preparation for this key match.

So, a 3.4.1.2 formation looks likely, along these lines.

Walker

Eastman Inniss Kent

Jackson Comley Lapslie Vincent-Young

Szmodics

Wright Mandron

Subs:

Gilmartin Kinsella Loft O’Sullivan Slater Guthrie and Murray

Assuming Dickenson and Prosser return in the new year, JM will have the quality at his disposal to mount a serious promotion challenge.

He has already hinted at not looking for new signings in January suggesting instead that some of the loanees are retained, (perhaps not Kabamba, Reid and Odelusi) but Comley and Hanlan.

A decent crowd will be expected at Fortress Weston tomorrow. Enjoy the game and roar the Super U’s to three more very welcome points.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 9 Dec 2017 7:38]

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 13:43 - Dec 9 with 1675 viewsthrillseeker

Another good preview DE.

There is a cold chill in the air.

Leaving in 10 wrapped up well
Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 13:46 - Dec 9 with 1674 viewsthrillseeker

On a a more childish note

I wonder how many Exeter flags there will be that can be used to keep us warm?
Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 14:38 - Dec 9 with 1665 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 13:46 - Dec 9 by thrillseeker

On a a more childish note

I wonder how many Exeter flags there will be that can be used to keep us warm?

TS enjoy the game

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:26 - Dec 9 with 1661 viewswessex_exile

U's 1-0 up! Uncertain as yet whether it's an own-goal or one for Szmodics.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:28 - Dec 9 with 1660 viewswessex_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:26 - Dec 9 by wessex_exile

U's 1-0 up! Uncertain as yet whether it's an own-goal or one for Szmodics.

...and now a penalty - Szmodics steps up...and SCORES!!!

Up the U's

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:33 - Dec 9 with 1659 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 14:38 - Dec 9 by durham_exile

TS enjoy the game

Up the U's

Szmodics 1-0

But Sky reckon it was an OG

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:34 - Dec 9 with 1656 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:33 - Dec 9 by durham_exile

Szmodics 1-0

Up the U's

Now 3-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:34 - Dec 9 with 1656 viewswessex_exile

It’s a Sammy Szmodics masterclass - 3-0, and another one for one of ours!

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 16:07 - Dec 9 with 1643 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:34 - Dec 9 by wessex_exile

It’s a Sammy Szmodics masterclass - 3-0, and another one for one of ours!

Personally I would like to see three more Colchester goals in the second half, it would be great to give a real tonking to a promotion rival

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 18:04 - Dec 9 with 1414 viewsthrillseeker

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 15:33 - Dec 9 by durham_exile

Szmodics 1-0

Up the U's

100% an own goal for our first unfortunately for Sammie.

Really enjoyed today's game as both teams tried to play football.

I hope Innis' injury is not too bad as he really makes the difference to our team

On a side issue - went to the Bricklayers after game for quick beer to thaw out and was most disappointed. Wish Fred & Hazel would return
[Post edited 9 Dec 2017 18:06]
Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 19:29 - Dec 9 with 1356 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 18:04 - Dec 9 by thrillseeker

I hope Innis' injury is not too bad as he really makes the difference to our team

On a side issue - went to the Bricklayers after game for quick beer to thaw out and was most disappointed. Wish Fred & Hazel would return

TS thanks for your thoughts. Very disappointing injury to Ryan Inniss but three valuable points.

Why does JM need to come out and focus on the U's struggling to hang on to Szmodics in January. We should be bullish and look to secure promotion before there is any talk of losing more players.

Come on JM focus instead on climbing to the top three positions rather than worrying about who might come in for Sammie.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 00:20 - Dec 10 with 1220 viewsLeadbelly

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 18:04 - Dec 9 by thrillseeker

Fred and Hazel won't be going back to the Bricklayers unfortunately and the place has gone right down the pan under the new tenants. Dirty, no atmosphere and a severely restricted selection of drinks. As Noah has said several times on here the Victoria is a great pub, wide selection of real ales and real ciders and Sheena and Andy are excellent hosts. It's where I go now(but don't let that put you off)

As for the game...both sides tried to play football, Exeter looked composed at the start but the first goal saw them struggle for the rest of the first half. We didn't look as solid after Inniss was substituted and had a tough 10 minutes after their goal but we weathered the storm.

MOTM selectors got it right for a change and Szmodics is bound to attract attention if he keeps producing such performances.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Grecians to endure a grey day at Fortress Weston on 14:45 - Dec 10 with 1119 viewsnoah4x4

Always good to welcome you Leadbelly, and any other real ale and cider affectionados including away fans that are prepared to behave in the unofficial Yorkshire Embassy. Was also a delight to welcome so many (gracious in defeat) Grecians before and after the game. I do enjoy Adnams beers, but the ever changing variety at the Victoria Inn is far more compelling. Travel advice to others thinking of joining us;...

You can get the pub shuttle bus from the Victoria Inn (circa 1.40pm), or if you do fancy a cheeky extra pint (or two); buy a Match Day Rover (£2.50) when catching any of the many First Buses from outside HSBC to the Station or to Bruff Close then change to the main shuttle (same ticket). Much better option than:slurping the Green King dishwater at the stadium. A number of our groups also taxi share.

Alternatively, from home, buy a Colchester Rover ticket (Match Day Rovers are technically only valid after noon). I travel to town (first pint in Playhouse); breakfast (Trotters recommended as beer available from 10:30); bus to Vic ( beer); bus to Bruff Close; shuttle; shuttle; bus to Vic (beer and chip); bus home....all for £3.80 (beer and breakfast extra). Fantastic public transport value.

Also the Victoria Inn management is happy if you bring in your own food or a takeaway. Simply one courteous rule; eat it at a table or in covered back yard, not at bar.

I have been asked to mention that contrary to previous rumour the Victoria Inn will be OPEN until around 8.30pm on both Boxing Day (away at Crawley) and upon New Years Day (home). But New Years Eve is strictly ticket holders only (reserved for regulars, but still time to become one - great live music every Sunday!).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024