Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations 2018 12:41 - Jan 31 with 21714 viewsrobith

Kicks off this weekend! Thought it might be good to take people's mind off the doom at the moment.

Some shameless pluging as well, you may know I used to write the old blogs, well I've now started a podcast as well, which I'd be honoured if you gave it a listen. Preview of the tournament and my squeaky voice for you delection

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/1-six-nations-preview

(apols for plugging clive, let me know if it's not cool and I'll take it down)

Anyway open tournament - England have a lot of injuries as do Wales. Kinda makes Ireland favourites by default, and despite my recent scepticism on us, we really should be winning it.

Scotland are the glamour team, but they're missing a lot of front rowers so will their backs get the ball enough? Wales have had to pick a lot of the Scarlets players so will be interesting to see how they play.

I reckon

Ireland
England
Scotland
Wales
France
Italy

FAO: people who will moan about pubs with made up stories about rugby fans. We've heard it all before so maybe lay off it? Surely preferable to gastro pubs full of Cockney Reds on a Sunday #winkyface #banter #earlybirdcatchestheworm
Six Nations 2018 on 11:03 - Feb 12 with 3000 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 10:51 - Feb 12 by SimonJames

It's more likely that the tournament swings on the decision to give Wales a 4 try bonus point against Scotland that they didn't deserve because the pass was clearly forward.

People seem to be losing sight of the fact that failure to award this try did not snatch a last gasp win away from Wales.
It might have reduced the margin they lost by...
It might have galvanised England into even more of an effort that resulted in Wales losing by even more. (If the ref hadn't been so whistle happy I think England would have scored a lot more points.)

The main thing that kept Wales in this game was the very low number of penalties that they conceded.
Eddie Jones' England teams have a knack of grinding out a win - look what they did to Wales (and France) this time last year. (And look what Sam Underhill did to them when they had even better chance of scoring)

I can see your point, but if I'm physically at a game, in any sport, do I want the game stopped every time that there might be a forward pass or a marginal offside or it wasn't actually a corner or a free kick or whatever - no I don't. I don't particularly like the idea of people watching at home knowing more about what is going on than I do if I'm at the game, but of course it happens a lot. But should the game be stopped every time - I don't think so.

Yes it's unfair if there was a forward pass, but every team seems to go close to the margin all of the time in that respect. You win some you lose some, but at least the game flows for those who paid to watch. It's when they do stop the game and have a look that i think you are entitled to an accurate decision, where it's possible to do so.
Six Nations 2018 on 11:06 - Feb 12 with 2993 viewsTonto

and if you really want to complain about TMOs not giving tries, can I remind everyone of the Mark Cueto try NOT given against South Africa in the world cup final of 2009... a slightly more important game?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Six Nations 2018 on 12:10 - Feb 12 with 2955 viewsHendonHoop

I.m.o. I don't care how long a game is stopped for, as long as it gets to the correct decision.
Six Nations 2018 on 12:25 - Feb 12 with 2947 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations 2018 on 11:03 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

I can see your point, but if I'm physically at a game, in any sport, do I want the game stopped every time that there might be a forward pass or a marginal offside or it wasn't actually a corner or a free kick or whatever - no I don't. I don't particularly like the idea of people watching at home knowing more about what is going on than I do if I'm at the game, but of course it happens a lot. But should the game be stopped every time - I don't think so.

Yes it's unfair if there was a forward pass, but every team seems to go close to the margin all of the time in that respect. You win some you lose some, but at least the game flows for those who paid to watch. It's when they do stop the game and have a look that i think you are entitled to an accurate decision, where it's possible to do so.

I've been to Twickers dozens of times in the last 35 years (and I'm going to the Ireland game). And every time I watch the replay later on I'm always amazed at how much I didn't see (although this may be due in some part to copious amounts of alcohol).

I agree that I don't want the game stopped every time there is a marginal decision. If that had happened in this game England would have had longer phases of play, more continuity, the Welsh defence would have been more tired, made more mistakes, and England would probably have won by a bigger margin.

With regards to the forward pass, they did have a look at the grounding, but they failed to wind the replay back far enough, i.e. to the point where everybody else in the stadium had seen that there was a forward pass, but none of the predominantly Welsh support wanted that to be acknowledged.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations 2018 on 12:39 - Feb 12 with 2930 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 12:25 - Feb 12 by SimonJames

I've been to Twickers dozens of times in the last 35 years (and I'm going to the Ireland game). And every time I watch the replay later on I'm always amazed at how much I didn't see (although this may be due in some part to copious amounts of alcohol).

I agree that I don't want the game stopped every time there is a marginal decision. If that had happened in this game England would have had longer phases of play, more continuity, the Welsh defence would have been more tired, made more mistakes, and England would probably have won by a bigger margin.

With regards to the forward pass, they did have a look at the grounding, but they failed to wind the replay back far enough, i.e. to the point where everybody else in the stadium had seen that there was a forward pass, but none of the predominantly Welsh support wanted that to be acknowledged.

Well the drink doesn't help and that's a fact but i just don't know enough about the rules to be able to know exactly what i'm looking for in the stand without a commentator/analyst telling me. So a scenario like Saturday's had me leaving one game and going home to a different one, to some extent anyway.

I agree that Wales wouldn't necessarily have won the game had they been given the try, but they certainly did show up in the second half and with the injuries that they had they probably needed a break somewhere rather than what they got. If I were Welsh I'd be pretty pissed off about it, because this was about as important as it gets in rugby terms and they were let down quite badly by the 'third umpire'.
Six Nations 2018 on 12:44 - Feb 12 with 2926 viewsMrSheen

Six Nations 2018 on 09:31 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

Well I don't know about you, but I like to watch a game and to the extent that it is possible - what you see is what you get. If you're going to use video evidence then ffs get it right. That was just inexcusably sloppy.

It's quite possible that the whole tournament ends up swinging on that one decision - being highly qualified and honest isn't always good enough. It wasn't good enough.

And if the whole tournament swings on one decision in the first half of a game in the first half of the tournament, rather than anything else in over 20 hours of dropped balls, missed kicks, blown opportunities, creeping offside, collapsed scrums, pulled-down mauls,, high shots, shepherded chasers and forward passes, so what? I heard a rumour there might be a rematch next year.

Besides, contentious refereeing can make a spectacle, not ruin it.

Six Nations 2018 on 12:51 - Feb 12 with 2917 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 12:44 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

And if the whole tournament swings on one decision in the first half of a game in the first half of the tournament, rather than anything else in over 20 hours of dropped balls, missed kicks, blown opportunities, creeping offside, collapsed scrums, pulled-down mauls,, high shots, shepherded chasers and forward passes, so what? I heard a rumour there might be a rematch next year.

Besides, contentious refereeing can make a spectacle, not ruin it.

Well we'll have to agree to differ won't we. Millions of things do or don't happen during the course any game, of course, but when what you achieve the objective of the game and somebody says that you didn't, then it seems a little bit different, well it does to me anyway, I can't help it.
Six Nations 2018 on 13:06 - Feb 12 with 2891 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations 2018 on 12:51 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

Well we'll have to agree to differ won't we. Millions of things do or don't happen during the course any game, of course, but when what you achieve the objective of the game and somebody says that you didn't, then it seems a little bit different, well it does to me anyway, I can't help it.

If QPR had a goal disallowed that would have resulted in them drawing 1-1 rather than losing 1-0, that is significant. But if the result is losing 2-1 rather than 2-0 how often does that make a significant difference?

Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations 2018 on 13:10 - Feb 12 with 2887 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 13:06 - Feb 12 by SimonJames

If QPR had a goal disallowed that would have resulted in them drawing 1-1 rather than losing 1-0, that is significant. But if the result is losing 2-1 rather than 2-0 how often does that make a significant difference?

Well that's not how it was is it.

The score in the record book says 12-6, and there are 5 points for a try and two for a conversion. So it's the difference between losing 2-0 and winning 3-2. They could have missed the kick, probably would have, but it's irrelevant. They would have got the 5 points and then they only needed a drop goal like Ireland did in Paris for instance. Different game completely.
Six Nations 2018 on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 2851 viewsMrSheen

Six Nations 2018 on 13:10 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

The score in the record book says 12-6, and there are 5 points for a try and two for a conversion. So it's the difference between losing 2-0 and winning 3-2. They could have missed the kick, probably would have, but it's irrelevant. They would have got the 5 points and then they only needed a drop goal like Ireland did in Paris for instance. Different game completely.

Except they were on penalty advantage at the time, which they went back and kicked. Net loss of either 2 or 4.
Six Nations 2018 on 13:31 - Feb 12 with 2842 viewskingo

I think you have forgotten to subtract the penalty that they did score instead of the ‘try’.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Six Nations 2018 on 13:36 - Feb 12 with 2828 viewsSimonJames

You're getting a little bit ahead if yourself there with drop goal finishes...
First, had the try been allowed the score would have been 12-5. There is no guarantee that Wales would have scored any more points after that.

Second, Gareth Anscombe said afterwards "It was still early on in the game and we had a lot of chances to fix it."

N.B. There is evidence to suggest that during the build up to the "try", Steff Evans knocked it on. If that is the case then the TMO accidentally got the right decision anyway.

Six Nations 2018 on 13:57 - Feb 12 with 2807 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 13:26 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

Except they were on penalty advantage at the time, which they went back and kicked. Net loss of either 2 or 4.

Oh right you are - I'd forgotten that - at the time that it happened there wasn't any connection or issue.

But I still think that if you get the try and you have a chance of a conversion then it's not an almighty 'what if' to say it could have ended up what - 12-10 with minutes to go - ask the French about that one. They missed a kick and left it open for a drop goal if the Irish could take it. I don't think that's the same sort of 'what if' as wondering what else could have happened in the game from 12-5 or 12-7 had that been the situation.

Personally I think that we deserved to win the game because early on we were much the better side and maybe should have taken greater advantage of that, but if i were Welsh then I'd definitely feel as if this was a crucial decision that they got wrong - not a 'what if', not a 'maybe' just plain wrong.

If they'd have given the try then this conversation would never have happened, as the result would be the result, whatever it would have been. We'll never know the answer. Surely that's not so difficult to get to grips with?
Six Nations 2018 on 14:11 - Feb 12 with 2797 viewsMrSheen

Six Nations 2018 on 13:57 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

Oh right you are - I'd forgotten that - at the time that it happened there wasn't any connection or issue.

But I still think that if you get the try and you have a chance of a conversion then it's not an almighty 'what if' to say it could have ended up what - 12-10 with minutes to go - ask the French about that one. They missed a kick and left it open for a drop goal if the Irish could take it. I don't think that's the same sort of 'what if' as wondering what else could have happened in the game from 12-5 or 12-7 had that been the situation.

Personally I think that we deserved to win the game because early on we were much the better side and maybe should have taken greater advantage of that, but if i were Welsh then I'd definitely feel as if this was a crucial decision that they got wrong - not a 'what if', not a 'maybe' just plain wrong.

If they'd have given the try then this conversation would never have happened, as the result would be the result, whatever it would have been. We'll never know the answer. Surely that's not so difficult to get to grips with?

We're only having this conversation because you're questioning the decision. Back 10 metres.

[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 14:16]
Six Nations 2018 on 14:22 - Feb 12 with 2781 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 14:11 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

We're only having this conversation because you're questioning the decision. Back 10 metres.

[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 14:16]

I'm the captain of the objectors though.
Six Nations 2018 on 14:33 - Feb 12 with 2769 viewsMrSheen

Six Nations 2018 on 14:22 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

I'm the captain of the objectors though.

Fair point, but it's "Sir" to you.
Six Nations 2018 on 14:45 - Feb 12 with 2757 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 14:33 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

Fair point, but it's "Sir" to you.

Sorry Mr Sheen sir, it's not your fault sir - you even saw it wasn't a knock on without any help, so fair play to you.
Six Nations 2018 on 19:55 - Feb 12 with 2692 viewsJamesB1979

Six Nations 2018 on 13:57 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

Not sure what fuss is about, the welsh bloke knocked it on with his hand, it then hit his knee and the. The other welsh chap touched it down. Knock on, no try. Everyone is focusing on the wrong part of the play.
Six Nations 2018 on 20:17 - Feb 12 with 2676 viewspastieR

yep right decision for the wrong reason
Six Nations 2018 on 02:36 - Feb 13 with 2610 viewsBenny_the_Ball

England were the better team and deserved the win. Even if the TMO had awarded the try to Wales I'm confident that England would have found a way to win. Eddie Jones has instilled this winning mentality in the team.
Six Nations 2018 on 09:30 - Feb 13 with 2550 viewsrobith

The debate about the try decision has been perhaps the most tedious thing to happen in the history of rugby, and I once watched London Irish lose 6-3 to Newcastle
Six Nations 2018 on 15:39 - Feb 13 with 2494 viewsDaiHo0p

Settled then..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43046791
Six Nations 2018 on 15:47 - Feb 13 with 2488 viewsrobith

Six Nations 2018 on 11:06 - Feb 12 by Tonto

and if you really want to complain about TMOs not giving tries, can I remind everyone of the Mark Cueto try NOT given against South Africa in the world cup final of 2009... a slightly more important game?

His foot hit the line
Six Nations 2018 on 13:35 - Mar 1 with 2294 viewsEastR

Eddie's had a bit of bother

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43235314

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Six Nations 2018 on 13:45 - Mar 1 with 2282 viewsTGRRRSSS

Really p[athertic behaviour by thosde blokes, grown adults, he still did a photo with them and stuff.

Pathetic.

Not a EJ fan either!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024