Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer deadline day 13:10 - Jan 31 with 2238 viewsdurham_exile

The silence so far is deafening.

A striker and midfielder/winger are on JM's list.

We wait out for encouraging news.

I am pleased that we do not seem to be pursuing Kyel Reid any more. He is not a long term prospect for our club.

Up the U's
[Post edited 31 Jan 2018 13:14]

Durham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 13:56 - Jan 31 with 1715 viewsLeadbelly

Getting noisy now!

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2018/january/us-flash-olamide-joins/

Rumour is two in, one out today. Szmodics going perhaps?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Transfer deadline day on 15:08 - Jan 31 with 1704 viewsdurham_exile

Lewis Kinsella has left the club after contract cancelled.

As LB has reported Olamide Shodipo a 20 year old winger has joined from QPR.

Striker later perhaps!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 16:46 - Jan 31 with 1676 viewsLeadbelly

Transfer deadline day on 15:08 - Jan 31 by durham_exile

Lewis Kinsella has left the club after contract cancelled.

As LB has reported Olamide Shodipo a 20 year old winger has joined from QPR.

Striker later perhaps!!!

Up the U's

Dan Jeffries has moved to somewhere in Scotland on a permanent basis. I confess I didn't know he was a Col U player!

Transfer deadline day on 19:01 - Jan 31 with 1629 viewsdurham_exile

Liam Mandeville, 20 year old striker has joined on loan from Doncaster Rovers until the end of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 19:28 - Jan 31 with 1608 viewsgerry_us

Transfer deadline day on 19:01 - Jan 31 by durham_exile

Liam Mandeville, 20 year old striker has joined on loan from Doncaster Rovers until the end of the season.

Up the U's

Loans, loans and more loans. Do we actually have any players that are on contract through to the end of the season?
Can we loan McGreal out?
Transfer deadline day on 19:39 - Jan 31 with 1605 viewsmfb_cufc

Transfer deadline day on 19:01 - Jan 31 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Good goal scoring record for Doncaster. Surprised they let him go out on loan.

20-year-old Liam joins the U's until the end of the season from the League One club, ahead of this weekend's home game against Newport County.

He joined Rovers as a 16-year-old and broke through to Darren Ferguson's first team in April 2015.

He hit the headlines just over a year later as he picked up the EFL Young Player of the Month award in November 2016, as his five goals in six games got Rovers off to a great start in their quest for promotion back to League One.

That soon became seven in nine games and he ended the 2016/17 campaign with 10 in 27 as Rovers finished in third place in the table.

He has remained in the first team picture in 2017/18, playing 24 times and notching four in his last eleven appearances.

He arrives with 64 first team games under his belt and will now look to contribute to the U's promotion push.

mfb

Transfer deadline day on 19:58 - Jan 31 with 1594 viewsBlue4U2

It seems we're only interested in signing 20 yr old in this window!!
Transfer deadline day on 22:07 - Jan 31 with 1554 viewsgerry_us

Keep on like this and will have one of the best non-league U23 squad.
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer deadline day on 22:32 - Jan 31 with 1528 viewsMadeira163

He’s 21
Colchester United are pleased to welcome defender Aaron Barnes to the club on a permanent basis.

The 21-year-old full back has joined from League One side Charlton Athletic, where he had spent five years after joining from Arsenal aged 16.

Aaron was an ever present for the Addicks as they won the U18s league and cup double three years ago, and also helped his former club to the U23s league title in 2016.
Transfer deadline day on 22:34 - Jan 31 with 1527 viewsMadeira163

But keeping with the theme he’s 20
Colchester United are pleased to welcome highly rated midfielder Ben Stevenson on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

20-year-old Ben has joined from the high flying Championship side, having completed a permanent switch from Coventry City earlier on deadline day.

Having progressed through the ranks at the Sky Blues, Ben played 48 times for their first team after making his debut at the start of the 2016/17 campaign.
Transfer deadline day on 23:02 - Jan 31 with 1506 viewsLeadbelly

Window now closed. The four arrivals today look far better prospects than the five that arrived in August. Fingers crossed that looks aren't deceiving.

Transfer deadline day on 08:28 - Feb 1 with 1449 viewsnoah4x4

Message to all U's players out of contract in the Summer that are refusing to sign new contracts. Be prepared to follow Kinsella into non-league as we can replace you.

I think this is the message from the pattern of these signings, notably those of Junior, Mandeville and Shodipo. OK, the latter two are loans, but if Guthrie signs we won't need Mandeville after May.

I think Humes & co perhaps deserve more credit than they ever get from fans.
Transfer deadline day on 11:58 - Feb 1 with 1410 viewsLeadbelly

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2018/february/barnes-heads-to-torquay/

Transfer deadline day on 13:27 - Feb 1 with 1392 viewsburnsieespana

Hopefullythe new guys can hit the ground running and get is back into the promotion race.
On the whole think we have signed some decent players even though several are on loan at the moment.
Transfer deadline day on 13:47 - Feb 1 with 1382 viewsgerry_us

Transfer deadline day on 08:28 - Feb 1 by noah4x4

Message to all U's players out of contract in the Summer that are refusing to sign new contracts. Be prepared to follow Kinsella into non-league as we can replace you.

I think this is the message from the pattern of these signings, notably those of Junior, Mandeville and Shodipo. OK, the latter two are loans, but if Guthrie signs we won't need Mandeville after May.

I think Humes & co perhaps deserve more credit than they ever get from fans.

I am all in favour of fielding a young side and the development programme is of great benefit to the club with several now regulars. However, a team of 20 year olds will not have the nous required to win any league. What we needed during the transfer window was a couple of seasoned pro's who could help the up and coming youngsters. What did we get...more 20 year olds?

"Mandeville"? That's a tall thin thing that flowers intermittently and more relevant to warmer weather. Ah, I see where you are coming from.
Later note. Sorry, I didn't see we had signed him. Thought you were referring to Mandron. Same Thoughts apply though.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 13:50]
Transfer deadline day on 15:44 - Feb 1 with 1357 viewsnoah4x4

But we now have 'experience' Gerry. Even Szmodics (age 22) has 85 appearances. Drey Wright (22) has 120. What we don't have is enough match winners that can score and 'assist' goals.

These signings suggest to me that time is running out for Drey Wright, Mandron and Guthrie, especially if they are being stubborn about contracts. Szmodics also needs to wake up to the fact nobody wants to spend a £1M on a goalscorer that is anonymous for 85 minutes.

Two signings stick out for me;
Stevenson - Coventry to Wolves - immediately loaned to Colchester
Barnes - Charlton to U's - immediately loaned to Torquay.

It looks like Financial Fair Play and Transfer Windows are provoking this. Premier league destined Wolves need to pick up and lock in young talent now as they can't afford £60m signings in future. Despite Coventry fans weeping at his departure, Stevenson isnt ready to step up to the Championship but is proven in Division Two. Wolves also need to insure against injury and players leaving out of contract in future.

Similarly, Colchester United with Barnes. I see this as simply an alternative way forward. After, all, some U's fans have been (IMHO, unjustly) critical of the Academy. Some U's fans have been critical of young players being selected too soon (a fair criticism in the Joe Dunne era). This is perhaps the new solution to get youngsters committed to the U's and straight into men's football instead of Under 23. I think it makes eminent sense, but already some fans are moaning about making a signing that immediately goes on loan. The same fans moan about U21 teams playing in the Caribou Cup. Again, I think "buy then loan out" offers a better induction to men's football.

For me, Junior, Mandeville and Stevenson are the big news. Hopefully this will be the kick up the backside our current forwards need.
Transfer deadline day on 19:01 - Feb 1 with 1318 viewsbwildered

Fair assumption Noah, perhaps Jefferies departure was due to the recent signing of Rooney .
All clubs want there players playing at the highest level possible when not in the first team fringe, so a domino situation takes place .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Transfer deadline day on 20:14 - Feb 1 with 1302 viewsmfb_cufc

Wolves reportedly paid £500,000 for Stevenson. Our recruitment team have taken a lot of criticism, but this move to get Stevenson on loan could turn out to be a stroke of genius. I would be interested to know how this deal was set up, because how did we know Wolves were going to sign him. Apparently the deal almost didn't happen when Coventry found out he was going to be loaned out to us. In the end a deal that was supposed to go through yesterday afternoon, finally went through at 10.00pm. Somebody on the OMB has put some YouTube clips from Stevenson's career. Obviously they are all the good bits, but he looks impressive.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 21:06]

mfb

Transfer deadline day on 20:24 - Feb 1 with 1299 viewsLeadbelly

Transfer deadline day on 15:44 - Feb 1 by noah4x4

But we now have 'experience' Gerry. Even Szmodics (age 22) has 85 appearances. Drey Wright (22) has 120. What we don't have is enough match winners that can score and 'assist' goals.

These signings suggest to me that time is running out for Drey Wright, Mandron and Guthrie, especially if they are being stubborn about contracts. Szmodics also needs to wake up to the fact nobody wants to spend a £1M on a goalscorer that is anonymous for 85 minutes.

Two signings stick out for me;
Stevenson - Coventry to Wolves - immediately loaned to Colchester
Barnes - Charlton to U's - immediately loaned to Torquay.

It looks like Financial Fair Play and Transfer Windows are provoking this. Premier league destined Wolves need to pick up and lock in young talent now as they can't afford £60m signings in future. Despite Coventry fans weeping at his departure, Stevenson isnt ready to step up to the Championship but is proven in Division Two. Wolves also need to insure against injury and players leaving out of contract in future.

Similarly, Colchester United with Barnes. I see this as simply an alternative way forward. After, all, some U's fans have been (IMHO, unjustly) critical of the Academy. Some U's fans have been critical of young players being selected too soon (a fair criticism in the Joe Dunne era). This is perhaps the new solution to get youngsters committed to the U's and straight into men's football instead of Under 23. I think it makes eminent sense, but already some fans are moaning about making a signing that immediately goes on loan. The same fans moan about U21 teams playing in the Caribou Cup. Again, I think "buy then loan out" offers a better induction to men's football.

For me, Junior, Mandeville and Stevenson are the big news. Hopefully this will be the kick up the backside our current forwards need.

I don't think the departure of Wright and Mandron should worry anyone, or Guthrie for that matter. Non league is full of indispensable league players.

Transfer deadline day on 20:58 - Feb 1 with 1288 viewsnoah4x4

Transfer deadline day on 20:24 - Feb 1 by Leadbelly

I don't think the departure of Wright and Mandron should worry anyone, or Guthrie for that matter. Non league is full of indispensable league players.

Exactly Leadbelly.

I reckon Humes & Moody are right on the ball in this Transfer Window. Hopefully it will produce results, but that is never guaranteed. But this time the thought process does seems logical. The experienced (but young) Stevenson and Mandeville will shake up our existing forwards even if they don't feel threatened by Junior (but they should be based on what I saw against QPR). We also have Senior. Crikey!
Transfer deadline day on 21:36 - Feb 1 with 1277 viewsdurham_exile

It would seem that Southend had agreed with Robbie Cowling for Theo Robinson to go on loan to Colchester but the player wanted to return to Lincoln. In fairness to Southend they were prepared to honour the agreement with Colchester and refused his desire to return to the Imps.

Result disgruntled player remains at Southend. Personally I am pleased that he didn't come to Colchester because we have better strikers.

I am intrigued as to the two players that we did want who went to League one teams instead.

In the meantime we have two or three very good signings. I just hope that JM is brave enough to play them, in a real attempt to gain promotion.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 22:29 - Feb 1 with 1267 viewsmfb_cufc

Transfer deadline day on 21:36 - Feb 1 by durham_exile

It would seem that Southend had agreed with Robbie Cowling for Theo Robinson to go on loan to Colchester but the player wanted to return to Lincoln. In fairness to Southend they were prepared to honour the agreement with Colchester and refused his desire to return to the Imps.

Result disgruntled player remains at Southend. Personally I am pleased that he didn't come to Colchester because we have better strikers.

I am intrigued as to the two players that we did want who went to League one teams instead.

In the meantime we have two or three very good signings. I just hope that JM is brave enough to play them, in a real attempt to gain promotion.

Up the U's

It will be an interesting team selection for Saturday's game, and probably the hardest one you have had to make this season, in your review of the game durham. Personally I would select all three deadline signings, but who do you leave out to accommodate them? Despite scoring his first goal of the season, Drey Wright has to make way for Stevenson. Despite playing well in recent games Senior will probably make way for Shodipo, and the no brainer Mandeville to replace Mandron.

mfb

Transfer deadline day on 23:29 - Feb 1 with 1257 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I've always maintained the same view on loan players and that is if they're not starting why are they here? If you look back on some of our most successful loanees, players like Danna, Cureton, Yeates, Antonio etc. plus numerous others, they pretty much started every match of their time here. I understand the need to sign players for cover sometimes but for me loanees should strengthen you're starting XI first and foremost.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Transfer deadline day on 00:00 - Feb 2 with 1251 viewsdurham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 22:29 - Feb 1 by mfb_cufc

It will be an interesting team selection for Saturday's game, and probably the hardest one you have had to make this season, in your review of the game durham. Personally I would select all three deadline signings, but who do you leave out to accommodate them? Despite scoring his first goal of the season, Drey Wright has to make way for Stevenson. Despite playing well in recent games Senior will probably make way for Shodipo, and the no brainer Mandeville to replace Mandron.

A very good point Mick.

I think that I will ponder two possible line ups with pro and cons and then make a decision.

We could have a very exciting team out on Saturday or not if JM bottles it!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Transfer deadline day on 05:25 - Feb 2 with 1231 viewsLeadbelly

Transfer deadline day on 22:29 - Feb 1 by mfb_cufc

Seconded

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024