Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iain Moody & player recruitment 15:49 - Jan 31 with 916 viewsLeadbelly

Lewis Kinsella has left the club after having his contract cancelled. He signed in August 2016. This got me thinking...

Iain Moody was appointed in July 2016 with a brief to handle player recruitment, presumably assisting/assisted by DOF Tony Humes-Out. There have been some good acquisitions and some bad during this relatively short period but what concerns me is what seems, to me at least, to be a surprisingly high level of churn within the group of players that have arrived in that time. This month Slater, O'Sullivan and Kinsella have gone, either on loan or permanently and Denny Johnstone also went out on loan earlier in the season. Three out of five August deadline day signings have also left the club (no loss there IMHO) I'm sure there are other examples which those with more time and a better memory will be able to provide.

If there is a problem here (others may not see it that way) then what is it? Why are players like Slater, arguably our most accomplished midfielder, leaving so quickly? Is it considered a mistake to have signed them in the first place? Has the club management decided that we need a different type of player for the more "functional" football we seem to be playing this season? Why do so many players seem happy to depart even if that is to play at a lower level? Does club management think that shuffling the pack on a regular basis is productive?

There may be a rational explanation but as the club will never provide one I look forward to fellow boarders filling the information void.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Iain Moody & player recruitment on 21:26 - Jan 31 with 875 viewsbwildered

Remember the Chairman stating several seasons ago at STH meeting being concerned with successful recruitment or the lack of it .
The policy or answer was to create this post. A new idea at the club but not to some larger clubs here and on the continent .
Players naturally all want to play so ambitions are no fulfilled when they are not, hence a bigger turnover and also pressure from agents in careers .
Regards the quality, can only recruit what is available, and the most available are the least experienced, which could be a positive if they are willing to reboot careers though.
How is recruitment judged a success or failure, transfer profit, appearances, or clubs success ?
Would be easy if a exact science getting the right players straightaway, let's remember even are most successful manager in recent times had a high turnover before the right combination is found.
Wonder if the club think that players can be manufactured rather than be natural judging by the amount of coaches academy status brings .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Iain Moody & player recruitment on 23:48 - Jan 31 with 847 viewsFruitbat

Moody's worth or otherwise might well be proven in the summer given how many first team players are out of contract and likely to go.
Iain Moody & player recruitment on 13:44 - Feb 1 with 817 viewsburnsieespana

On balance I think we are ok. JMC for whatever reason did not fancy those we have either let go or loaned out. He will, of course see different things in training to what we do.
I don'y buy into this constant knocking of Moody, Humes, etc.
The game today is so very different to even five years ago with Lapado a good example of how players move around with ever increasing frequency.
The one move which surprised me was Jefferies as only been with us a few months or was he on a short term deal?
Iain Moody & player recruitment on 19:30 - Feb 1 with 792 viewsbwildered

Wonder how many players Moody recommends to the coaching staff and how does he assess the wheat from the chaff ?
Does he get a percentage of any further transfer fee to enhance regular wage ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Iain Moody & player recruitment on 20:28 - Feb 1 with 783 viewsLeadbelly

Iain Moody & player recruitment on 19:30 - Feb 1 by bwildered

Wonder how many players Moody recommends to the coaching staff and how does he assess the wheat from the chaff ?
Does he get a percentage of any further transfer fee to enhance regular wage ?

If he's relying on a slice of transfer fees he'll be working until he's 90.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024