Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style 22:13 - Feb 12 with 2237 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges return to WHCS action on Tuesday evening against Coventry City. The Sky Blues managed by Mark Robins (who was always a thorn in our side as a player) had a most disappointing result against Accrington Stanley on Saturday in front of 28,343 supporters. This on the back of a defeat to Forest Green suggests that their attention is more directed towards the F A Cup 5th Round match at Brighton on Saturday, where they have already sold 5,000 tickets to their supporters, who clearly sense an upset at the Amex. They are set to bring a tenth of that figure tomorrow evening to Colchester.

Colchester must turn this to their advantage and look to inflict a third successive league defeat on Coventry at Fortress Weston. On Saturday the long trip to Carlisle elicited a single point, when all three were there for the taking. Tuesday affords the U’s the opportunity to draw level with Coventry on the magical 50-point mark and to set them up nicely for the match at Gresty Road against the Railwaymen on Saturday.

Kyel Reid, after his public falling out with his paymasters at the start of the season enjoyed a loan spell with the Super U’s, which was not always productive. He has skill and ability, but he blows hot and cold and often fails to deliver where it matters. In stark contrast Colchester have very generously been loaned the sensational midfielder Ben Stevenson, who ironically was transferred from Coventry to Wolverhampton for £500k. He has talent and ability in spades and gave a very accomplished performance at Carlisle on Saturday. He should be number one on JM’s team sheet.

Now forget all the nonsense about Coventry taking their eye off the ball. Robins will have been seething after the defeat at the weekend and will be keen to put things right at a ground where they fare very well. JM must ensure that the U’s go for the jugular on Tuesday and secure the three points which are very much there for the taking with a professional and disciplined performance.

On Saturday Sean Murray made a very welcome and surprisingly quick return after injury but Kurtis Guthrie picked up an ankle injury after a foul by Clint Hill. Guthrie who in fairness had looked out of sorts did not seem fully fit to me and his side-lining though regrettable will afford him the opportunity to come back restored for the vital run in.

Tuesday will also be too soon for Brennan Dickenson to start, he needs more time before being unleashed by JM. But we need him very soon with new loanee Olamide Shodipo still unfit and this is a shame when he was brought in to play left wing in the interim.

Guthrie’s injury gives JM a decision to make. Does he play safe and bring in the one goal in three-man Liam Mandeville (who frankly looked out of his depth on Saturday) or be adventurous and play Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe with the inspirational Courtney Senior. Is Junior destined to be another Macca Bonne, I hope not because his pace and raw talent is desperately needed to convert chances that are being created but being spurned.

Sadly, JM will always play the safe option and so he will go with the following;

Walker

Eastman Prosser Kent

Jackson Murray Stevenson Wright

Senior Mandron

Mandeville

Subs:
Gilmartin Comley Lapslie Inniss Ogedi-Uzokwe Szmodics Dickenson

He might however spring a surprise and put Dickenson on the bench to perhaps introduce him with 15 to play. Let us hope so.

The Colchester weather looks like it will be around 4 degrees Celsius but wet in the evening. The pitch will be good, and it is up to the faithful to get behind their favourites and spur them to victory.

There are some interesting games tomorrow evening:

Accrington v Crewe
Lincoln v Cheltenham
Luton v Crawley
Mansfield v Newport
Notts Co v Carlisle
Wycombe v Swindon

The time for consistency of results is now and we must secure the maximum against Coventry to send out the message of intent with only 14 games to play and 29 points to obtain.

Enjoy the game, keep the faith and enjoy the three points.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 22:04 - Feb 13 with 749 viewsgerry_us

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 21:53 - Feb 13 by durham_exile

Gerry

I think:

Walker

Eastman Prosser Kent

Vincent-Young Comley Stevenson Dickenson

Senior Mandron Junior

Up the U's

PS I think that I'm going to the Crewe game!!!!!!!!

OH NOOOOOO!
Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 22:14 - Feb 13 with 739 viewsTheHappyGooner

Good win lads

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 23:12 - Feb 13 with 729 viewsmfb_cufc

First-half passing probably the best of the season so far, but no end product. Coventry goal the biggest against the run of play you will see, that is until we scored the winner. This has happened too many times this season, brilliant first-half, rubbish second-half. Don't think it was right to say we parked the bus after going in front, it was just the opposition changing their tactics, and JM having no answer to it. Still very nice to have those boots on the other foot for a change tonight.

mfb

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 23:34 - Feb 13 with 724 viewsLeadbelly

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 23:12 - Feb 13 by mfb_cufc

First-half passing probably the best of the season so far, but no end product. Coventry goal the biggest against the run of play you will see, that is until we scored the winner. This has happened too many times this season, brilliant first-half, rubbish second-half. Don't think it was right to say we parked the bus after going in front, it was just the opposition changing their tactics, and JM having no answer to it. Still very nice to have those boots on the other foot for a change tonight.

I thought the first half was pretty even but it was one way traffic for much of the second half. I certainly didn't expect us to win the game...but delighted we did.

Good to see Dickenson back on the pitch. He put in more decent crosses in his brief appearance than Wright has done all season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 00:10 - Feb 14 with 716 viewsmfb_cufc

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 23:34 - Feb 13 by Leadbelly

I thought the first half was pretty even but it was one way traffic for much of the second half. I certainly didn't expect us to win the game...but delighted we did.

Good to see Dickenson back on the pitch. He put in more decent crosses in his brief appearance than Wright has done all season.

Wright, he was probably Coventry's best player. Dickenson has to start on Saturday, at least we will have a left footed player playing left wing -back.

Other thoughts on tonight's game. Walker should have done better with the shot that lead to the Coventry goal. Prosser excellent again, and Kent not far behind in MOTM. Stevenson not so effective, especially second-half, when wee needed a spark to get us going. Senior good first-half, but man marked in second-half, and more subdued. Junior showed great confidence to take the penalty, and good composure to score. Can only get better with experience. Szmodics produced absolutely nothing again when coming on, and is going to have to get use to bench warming. Talking of the bench, tonight's was the strongest we have had in years. Augurs well for the play-off push.

mfb

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 16:59 - Feb 15 with 626 viewsnoah4x4

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 21:53 - Feb 13 by durham_exile

Gerry

I think:

Walker

Eastman Prosser Kent

Vincent-Young Comley Stevenson Dickenson

Senior Mandron Junior

Up the U's

PS I think that I'm going to the Crewe game!!!!!!!!

Oh no........It'll be a draw or defeat then.....

Nah, 0 - 3 is my predicton. I have seen enough of Junior in U23 games to expect him to run rampant against a struggling team like Crewe. But it needs Dickenson and a.n.other wide to give him appropriate balls to chase. If we try to 'walk the ball into the net' he won't get the service.

Junior is at his brilliant best when in the opposition area with his back to goal, receiving a ball on his chest. He seems to be able to turn, duck under the defender's desperate flailing arms and shoot instinctively. His pace was in evidence on Tuesday chasing lost causes and winning them. He is going to be a lone wolf; he will add little to defence; and McGreal will have to bark orders to him. But he has the refreshing unorthodox unpredictability of Sunday Wasui, Samni Odelusi and Dominic Voss, but rolled into an individual that has the skills they didn't have. If opposition defences double up on Junior (as they do with Guthrie) Mandron will probable have a field day as Junior will drag them all over the park. He will run his socks off for his blue & white (or lime green) shirt.

Durham, prepare for a treat. See you there.
Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 17:53 - Feb 15 with 608 viewsbwildered

News travels fast around D2 land, let's hope he is not butchered like those PL stars.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 22:55 - Feb 15 with 582 viewsdurham_exile

Coventry to be left singing the blues after the Super U's turn on the style on 16:59 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

Oh no........It'll be a draw or defeat then.....

Nah, 0 - 3 is my predicton. I have seen enough of Junior in U23 games to expect him to run rampant against a struggling team like Crewe. But it needs Dickenson and a.n.other wide to give him appropriate balls to chase. If we try to 'walk the ball into the net' he won't get the service.

Junior is at his brilliant best when in the opposition area with his back to goal, receiving a ball on his chest. He seems to be able to turn, duck under the defender's desperate flailing arms and shoot instinctively. His pace was in evidence on Tuesday chasing lost causes and winning them. He is going to be a lone wolf; he will add little to defence; and McGreal will have to bark orders to him. But he has the refreshing unorthodox unpredictability of Sunday Wasui, Samni Odelusi and Dominic Voss, but rolled into an individual that has the skills they didn't have. If opposition defences double up on Junior (as they do with Guthrie) Mandron will probable have a field day as Junior will drag them all over the park. He will run his socks off for his blue & white (or lime green) shirt.

Durham, prepare for a treat. See you there.

Noah, I am definitely looking forward to the match on Saturday.

Junior was incredibly nonchalant when he took the penalty, looks like the club have unearthed a real gemstone.

I hope that JM is bold enough to give the lad another start at Crewe.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024