Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was drawn to Mansfield 10:38 - Mar 12 with 673 viewsgerry_us

Well, here we go Durham.

Had a crap journey from Lincolnshire coast to Mansfield with all the roadwork's and pot holes about. Lunched close to the ground at Frankie and Bennies. Burger raw in the middle, sent it back, didn’t pay. Thought the day couldn’t get worse. IT DID!

The first half was probably the worst performance I have seen from any U's team in all my time supporting since the late '50's. We were abysmal. I thought the inclusion of Sammy after injury may fire the front line but in truth he didn’t look back to fitness. Little of those penetrating runs that unsettle defences and with Guthrie non existent maybe even Mandron may have given us a bit of inspiration.

Mansfield kicked with the wind first half and looked a decent side, compared to us anyhow. Their goal came from a long punt from deep in their own half for which Walker made a crazy decision to try to beat the forward to the bouncing ball when Eastman appeared to have control. Walker didn’t make it, forward did and lobbed them both.

Now McGreal had two weeks to format some way of devising a system that could bring us a much needed win but blow me if I could understand what it was. We continually played the ball out wide from Walker to our defenders and back again and making it into Mansfield half was painful. Some of our passing movements were like Barcelona, oooops! sorry, I meant Barrow. We went nowhere fast. Case in point was having finally won a corner; after about six passes the ball was back with Walker. We do not need "careful" football at present, we must take chances and put a foot through the ball, preferably towards the opposition's goal if we want to win games. Apart from one through ball from Sammy to Guthrie who scuffed his shot that was finally cleared by a defender we hadn’t really threatened the Mansfield goal. Maybe if Mansfield had been street wise we would have been out of the game at halftime.

Halftime "McGreal team talk" dramatically changed our attitude on the game and for ten minutes we absolutely bossed the game. Pressure told and a fine strike by Comley across the goalie put us level. Thought that we would push on from there with the wind behind us but no, very little ambition for the rest of the half as though we were defending the draw….really? Could have easily lost it in the end with some desperate defending in the last five minutes. It’s definitely all over for the season and we can only hope for a massive overhaul in the coming months in an attempt to get things more positive for next season.

One last gripe. While at the game I will always support the U’s and encourage them whatever the state of play. I do however reserve the right to my views after the match, good or bad. Unfortunately, some of our younger “fans” disgraced themselves again with their vile chants when things weren’t going well. This is not what I call “supporting”.

I was drawn to Mansfield on 11:31 - Mar 12 with 661 viewsLeadbelly

Comley is quoted in the EADT this morning "I feel like the gaffer got into us at half time and told us to buck up (our) ideas" Just as well but it begs the question what is being said before games and at half time as we seem incapable of performing for 90 minutes.

Regarding the goal..neither Eastman nor Walker did well but I suspect both were expecting Frankie Kent (I think) to head clear the initial ball forward. The fact that he jumped whilst under no serious challenge but got nowhere close to the ball was very poor.

I'm afraid there is an element of Us fans, not just youngsters, whose behaviour home and away is appalling. With home crowds as low as they are it's not difficult to spot those involved but the club does not seem the club has done anything about it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

I was drawn to Mansfield on 19:14 - Mar 12 with 620 viewsdurham_exile

Gerry
Sorry I let the side down on Saturday. I decided in the morning not to travel and then when we suffered out third power cut in a week (the village currently has 5 generators supplying our power after the sub station blew up!) regretted my decision.

I was disappointed with JM's team selection:
I wanted Prosser, Stevenson, Senior and Mandron but JM decided on

Wright (how does he get into the team) and Jackson

Guthrie appears to have already lined up a move at the end of the season, he doesn't seem interested.

The worst of it is that until mathematically impossible I still believe that 7th place is possible.

Sorry to hear about your journey.

Yeovil Saturday is now a must win and so is the Morecambe rearranged game. I have decided to go next Tuesday night!

Sorry also about the mindless individuals, I do not condone such behaviour but I can understand their frustration. The annoying thing is that we are capable of finishing 7th but our recent form is more akin to relegation candidates.

Perhaps we will do better against the 6 teams above us that we still have to play.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024