Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston 09:22 - Mar 28 with 1501 viewsdurham_exile

The Super U’s entertain Luton Town on Good Friday in front of an anticipated bumper crowd (6,000+) including 1800 Hatters supporters.

Luton currently sit top of the league, but Accrington Stanley (with Billy Kee) have two games in hand. Nevertheless, they have Danny Hylton (who has recently become accustomed to kissing babies and including them in his goal celebrations) who has amassed 18 goals this season. There is also a smattering of ex Col U talent including Mick Harford as Development officer. Nathan Jones and Joaquin Gomez respectively manage and coach the Bedfordshire outfit.

Anyway, enough of the Hatters. Friday is all about Colchester United. The weekend’s much needed victory against Stevenage Borough has rekindled our Play Off hopes and we only now need the seven victories to definitely secure seventh spot in the league.

The good news is that we have to play 6 of the top sides in the league, so there is no need for complacency in these “Cup Finals”. Equally there is no additional need for motivation, the size of the prize is there for everyone to see.

Luton H
Forest Green A
Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

Now earlier in the season we were well beaten at Kenilworth Road and so apart from revenge on Friday it would be morale boosting to secure three more vital points. After all we have nothing to lose in our quest for that seventh place. And it would be good to make the Hatters mad.

It is all about momentum at this stage and there is always one club that finishes strongly enough to upset the others. Last season that team was Blackpool, who crept into the play offs and overcame Luton on their way to Play Off success.

JM of course will have been much heartened by that important victory at the Lamex and Mikael Mandron’s very well taken goal, although it was his brilliant run into the box that created the opportunity. Spatial awareness has been his strength, but now that he has reached double figures, it would be nice for him to finish with at least 15 goals this season.

I do not intend to comment further on the Kurtis Guthrie situation, that is now a dead duck and the train has well and truly left the station to mix metaphors.

JM must however decide that he is going to finally play a settled team and he appears to have reverted to a 4,4,2 formation. If that is the case, then the following starting XI is recommended:

Walker

Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young

Wright Lapslie Stevenson Dickenson

Szmodics Mandron

Subs:

Barnes Kent Senior Murray Comley Mandeville Ogedi-Uzokwe

Friday’s weather in Colchester is scheduled to be 8 degrees Celsius with some light rain. The pitch should be in decent condition and the majority of the crowd will be keen to see a home victory.

The faithful must roar them on to a famous win and then dare to dream.

League table:

Luton 39 74
Accrington 37 74
Wycombe 39 70
Notts Co 39 66
Exeter 38 66
Coventry 38 64
Mansfield 38 63
Lincoln 38 61
Swindon 38 60
Carlisle 39 57
COLCHESTER 39 55

Can the Super U’s keep the promotion dream alive?

All I can say is - get your popcorn ready, cause its gonna be a show!

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 18:54]

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 10:41 - Mar 28 with 1481 viewsnoah4x4

It was good to win at Stevenage, but hardly a sparkling performance against a side that didn't really threaten our goal, albeit that defensively we looked solid, which will be vital against Luton. But to win games we must score goals. Luton won't be any more obliging with errors than Morecambe or other of the teams that we have recently failed to chalk up a goal against. We need to unlock them and not be gifted goals.

Szmodics ran his legs off chasing down Stevenage defenders, but I don't recall him stealing the ball or such lung pumping activity actually having any positive effect except to briefly slow down the release of the ball out of their half by demanding an extra pass (then ball release, which was mostly hoofed, so the delay wasn't significant). He again fluffed his opportunities to put us ahead when based on what I have witnessed the deadly when given any decent chance Junior would have gobbled them up. OK, Junior might contribute less in other 'huff and puff' play, but we need goals. Frankly, I would like to see Mandron and Junior paired in a 4-4-2 with Wright and Dickenson instructed to get wide and cross from the corner flags. But otherwise I would start as per Durham's selection. However, I suspect McGreal will start with the more defensive Lapslie and Comley and leave any creativity (Stevenson) or goalscoring prowess (Junior) on the bench until the 80th minute when we are a goal in deficit.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 10:44]
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 12:43 - Mar 28 with 1457 viewsthrillseeker

Bumper crowd (6000+) is very optimistic

Luton have sold out their allocation of 1800 and I believe have asked for a few more.

I am sad to say I have given up on this season but as always look forward to the games
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 14:06 - Mar 28 with 1449 viewsLeadbelly

We were going away on Saturday morning but after the performances against Barnet and Yeovil it didn't take much to persuade me to leave on Friday morning instead.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:12 - Mar 30 with 1257 viewsdurham_exile

Travelling to the Midlands ready for Easter Monday at Nailsworth!

Incredibly both team and subs exactly as forecast.

Even more incredible Super U's have a 2-0 lead.

Plus attendance 5461 with 1942 from Bedfordshire - come on the U's

Keep it up and the unthinkable could become reality.

Up the U's
[Post edited 30 Mar 2018 16:14]

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:21 - Mar 30 with 1250 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:12 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Travelling to the Midlands ready for Easter Monday at Nailsworth!

Incredibly both team and subs exactly as forecast.

Even more incredible Super U's have a 2-0 lead.

Plus attendance 5461 with 1942 from Bedfordshire - come on the U's

Keep it up and the unthinkable could become reality.

Up the U's
[Post edited 30 Mar 2018 16:14]

Senior on for Dickenson - hopefully precautionary for Monday!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:38 - Mar 30 with 1245 viewsgerry_us

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:21 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Senior on for Dickenson - hopefully precautionary for Monday!

Up the U's

Keep your mind on the driving Durham.
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:43 - Mar 30 with 1240 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:38 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

Keep your mind on the driving Durham.

Gerry - 20 mins to play and we must keep them out at all costs.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:49 - Mar 30 with 1238 viewsdurham_exile

Have arrived safely - although currently at 36,000 feet and climbing!!!
Super U's are on a high!!!

Up the U's

15 mins to play

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:53 - Mar 30 with 1236 viewsdurham_exile

10 mins plus injury time.

Luton have another injury.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:57 - Mar 30 with 1234 viewsdurham_exile

Murray on for Stevenson

84 mins

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:01 - Mar 30 with 1233 viewsdurham_exile

2-1 come on keep them out

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:04 - Mar 30 with 1230 viewsgerry_us

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:01 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

2-1 come on keep them out

Up the U's

Are you clenched Peter?
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:06 - Mar 30 with 1229 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:04 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

Are you clenched Peter?

Gerry 5 mins of added time

Can't stand it

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:12 - Mar 30 with 1226 viewsgerry_us

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:06 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Gerry 5 mins of added time

Can't stand it

Up the U's

All done. Sleep well tonight.
Why do we all doubt your total conviction of a play off place Durham.
Luckily I am off abroad from 8th - 23rd April so every chance of positive results whilst I'm away.
Enjoy Nailsea and Lincoln.
The dream lives on.
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:25 - Mar 30 with 1220 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:12 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

All done. Sleep well tonight.
Why do we all doubt your total conviction of a play off place Durham.
Luckily I am off abroad from 8th - 23rd April so every chance of positive results whilst I'm away.
Enjoy Nailsea and Lincoln.
The dream lives on.

Gerry - superb result today, which only makes the nonsense served up against Barnet, Crewe et al all the more annoying.

Enjoy your vacation.

Come back for the Play Off Final

Up the U's

Thoughts for Luke Berry after his serious leg injury
[Post edited 30 Mar 2018 17:28]

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:45 - Mar 30 with 1202 viewsMoor_Pinot

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:25 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Gerry - superb result today, which only makes the nonsense served up against Barnet, Crewe et al all the more annoying.

Enjoy your vacation.

Come back for the Play Off Final

Up the U's

Thoughts for Luke Berry after his serious leg injury
[Post edited 30 Mar 2018 17:28]

Two wins on the trot! Absolutely marvellous!!
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:17 - Mar 30 with 1173 viewsgerry_us

Sad to hear of the bad injury during the game to Luton player. However, just read a report including the following comment from Luton boss..
"It's sad. He's gone over on it, we don't know how he's done it. There's a few little things I don't want to say because there were a few things we weren't happy with before the game. I don't know if that was contributing factor but we will see".
Anybody have an idea what's behind that comment. The playing surface has always looked pretty good to me so it surely cannot refer to the pitch?
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:27 - Mar 30 with 1170 viewswessex_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:17 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

Sad to hear of the bad injury during the game to Luton player. However, just read a report including the following comment from Luton boss..
"It's sad. He's gone over on it, we don't know how he's done it. There's a few little things I don't want to say because there were a few things we weren't happy with before the game. I don't know if that was contributing factor but we will see".
Anybody have an idea what's behind that comment. The playing surface has always looked pretty good to me so it surely cannot refer to the pitch?

Sounds like an arsehole, ungracious in defeat, looking to point fingers in any direction but his.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:55 - Mar 30 with 1155 viewsbwildered

Worrying injury to Berry early on, trying to unload Lapsie of the ball, with medics on quickly and ref taking players off . Let's hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Luton undone by two corners from each side before half time and although a late penalty and being wasteful in the box, a creditable win by U's where everyone put on a shift to guarantee a welcome three points, but special mention to Prosser and Eastman at the back.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 21:18 - Mar 30 with 1124 viewsburnsieespana

I see Tom L was substituted as well. Anybody know ow what his injury was?
Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 22:02 - Mar 30 with 1115 viewsmfb_cufc

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:17 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

He could only only be referring to the state of the pitch. But considering all the rain that had fallen on the pitch it played pretty well. If he doesn't say exactly what he means by "little things", then it will be seen as sour grapes.

mfb

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 22:09 - Mar 30 with 1112 viewsmfb_cufc

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 21:18 - Mar 30 by burnsieespana

I see Tom L was substituted as well. Anybody know ow what his injury was?

Apparently Lapslie was nearest to Berry when he got injured, and it sickened too much to carry on.

I don't how much the Berry injury affected the Luton team, the manager said they were in shock, and one of them was sick, but they were poor in the first-half.

mfb

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 22:14 - Mar 30 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 22:02 - Mar 30 by mfb_cufc

He could only only be referring to the state of the pitch. But considering all the rain that had fallen on the pitch it played pretty well. If he doesn't say exactly what he means by "little things", then it will be seen as sour grapes.

Have just watched the 90 seconds of highlights.

Superb headers from Eastman and Prosser.

Stevenson' delivery was world class.
I don't like Wolves but will be looking forward to Ben Stevenson gracing the premier league next season.

Perhaps he could stay with the U's in league one on a season long loan!

Six games just the six victories will do the business.

After today there must be huge belief coursing through the player's veins.

The only fly in the ointment is Monday's weather forecast which is for disruptive snow. Hopefully it will not affect that part of Gloucestershire.

This is going down to the wire and St James's Park Exeter is going to be a very big game.

But only if we win at the New Lawn.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 10:46 - Mar 31 with 1047 viewsbwildered

Lapsie was replaced due to hamstring injury apparently, and never returning after the enforced delay .
Berry fractured his ankle and also with ligament damage, and was transferred to Ipswich Hospital.
Luton manager Nathan Jones post match, complained about the pitch, although regards the amount of rain that fell especially during the second half, cannot remember the ball sticking.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:40 - Mar 31 with 1035 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to be topped by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 10:46 - Mar 31 by bwildered

Lapsie was replaced due to hamstring injury apparently, and never returning after the enforced delay .
Berry fractured his ankle and also with ligament damage, and was transferred to Ipswich Hospital.
Luton manager Nathan Jones post match, complained about the pitch, although regards the amount of rain that fell especially during the second half, cannot remember the ball sticking.

I read this morning that Berry has dislocated his left ankle, fractured his fibula, but they think there could also be ligament damage.

If so he will not be out for as long as originally feared. Back for the start of the new Season perhaps.

However whilst sympathising with him Colchester have had many long term injuries normally associated with ACL injuries resulting in 9-12 months out at a time.

No one likes to see any sportsman injured, but I am disappointed with Jones snide remarks about being unhappy with things without specifying what they are.

Anyway we move on to the New Lawn on Easter Monday and there is plenty now to play for. I do hope that Marmite is not injured too badly because he has been playing very well of late and it would be good to play an unchanged (and winning) team.

Up the Upwardly mobile Super U's
[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 17:21]

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024