Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I suppose there are two sides to every story! 18:47 - Mar 28 with 968 viewsdurham_exile

From the Construction Index......

Bitter end to Weston's football sponsorship

House-builder Bob Weston has been left shocked and saddened after being dumped as main sponsor by Colchester United Football Club.

Weston Homes has been Colchester United’s main sponsor for 10 years, with its name on the players' shirts and the club's Weston Homes Community Stadium. The company has provided the club with £1.5m over the years.

Now the club has unilaterally decided not to renew the deal at the end of the current season — without even consulting the sponsor.

Weston Homes said it would have happily negotiated another 10-year sponsorship package but is bitter that it was not offered the opportunity.

A spokesperson for Weston Homes said: “It is really sad and shocking the way this partnership has ended, and it has really upset our chairman & CEO Bob Weston that the club has chosen to end the deal and then abruptly announced their decision publicly without prior consultation with the house builder. Weston Homes has been extremely loyal to Colchester United and supported the club in so many ways over the last decade, so this has been deeply distressing. It’s a sad ending to what has otherwise been a fantastic partnership.”

But while Weston Homes described the split as acrimonious, the club says they are parting “on extremely good terms”.

Colchester United said: “We would like to express our thanks and gratitude for Weston Homes for their fantastic support over the past 10 years. It has been a hugely successful partnership over the past decade and is one of the longest in the club’s history.
“Weston Homes’ support has allowed Colchester United to establish the stadium as a key community hub and their backing both as title sponsor and at individual events has allowed us to create many special stories together since the venue opened in 2008.
“Hundreds of thousands visit the stadium each year and Weston Homes name has been synonymous with the successes we have enjoyed in our first 10 years at our new home.”

Up the U's

Durham_exile

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 19:40 - Mar 28 with 949 viewswessex_exile

At face value, I find that a somewhat disturbing report. However, as you say, there are two sides to every story. Given we are rapidly approaching the end of the final season of the deal, I find it hard to believe the club and Weston Homes haven't already at least discussed the possibility of extending the sponsorship deal - perhaps Weston Homes' valuation fell too far short of ours, or at least too far short of other potential sponsors waiting in the wings? I guess we'll know soon enough...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 19:52 - Mar 28 with 946 viewsMoor_Pinot

I suspect you've analysed that accurately Wessex. Ten years is a long time and they sound ever so slightly miffed rather than affronted, but they need to keep up their own ante, quite naturally. Whoever comes in please can we play in b/w stripes away from home as often as possible.

Moor Pinot

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 20:05 - Mar 28 with 943 viewswessex_exile

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 19:52 - Mar 28 by Moor_Pinot

I suspect you've analysed that accurately Wessex. Ten years is a long time and they sound ever so slightly miffed rather than affronted, but they need to keep up their own ante, quite naturally. Whoever comes in please can we play in b/w stripes away from home as often as possible.

A thought crossed my mind that the new sponsor might be Jobserve - would this be a way for Robbie to put more into the first team squad without falling foul of the FFP rules? I confess I don't know enough about the rules to have the answer.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 21:37 - Mar 28 with 915 viewsLeadbelly

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 20:05 - Mar 28 by wessex_exile

A thought crossed my mind that the new sponsor might be Jobserve - would this be a way for Robbie to put more into the first team squad without falling foul of the FFP rules? I confess I don't know enough about the rules to have the answer.

I will be absolutely staggered if the new sponsor isn't a one of the 28 companies of which Cowling is a director. Exclude those connected with the club and football in the community and he still has plenty of choice. I don't think there is anything in FFP rules to prevent this and, as part of income rather than a loan, it should improve the future playing budget.

Whatever the truth of who said what to whom and when there is no doubt Weston Homes would be miffed at not having an opportunity to agree a new sponsorship deal, if that is what they wanted to do. Whether the announcement could have been handled differently, or better, is a matter of opinion but from my point of view it does sound like another example of the chairman's PR skills lagging somewhat behind his business acumen.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 00:00 - Mar 29 with 894 viewsnoah4x4

According to the Gazette the original ten year deal was only £150k per annum. That is merely £3k per week for a sponsor named asset that gets some national and local press coverage almost every single day.

As a former Head of Marketing of a FTSE 250 company that was heavily involved in sports area sponsorship I would value the stadium 'media value' far higher. £3k per week is less than the weekly cost of a typical single advertisement in a decent glossy magazine and "WHCS" features on Channel Five TV every week even if coverage on Anglia and BBC is limited. They have had fantastic value IMHO.

It also reported that Cowling told the firm over a week ago. They have had plenty of time to increase the offer to a more credible sum. Cowling is not stupid, and if whatever new deal he has lined up gets us some new players - then let's celebrate!
I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 10:16 - Mar 29 with 855 viewsHungryStudent

I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 00:00 - Mar 29 by noah4x4

According to the Gazette the original ten year deal was only £150k per annum. That is merely £3k per week for a sponsor named asset that gets some national and local press coverage almost every single day.

As a former Head of Marketing of a FTSE 250 company that was heavily involved in sports area sponsorship I would value the stadium 'media value' far higher. £3k per week is less than the weekly cost of a typical single advertisement in a decent glossy magazine and "WHCS" features on Channel Five TV every week even if coverage on Anglia and BBC is limited. They have had fantastic value IMHO.

It also reported that Cowling told the firm over a week ago. They have had plenty of time to increase the offer to a more credible sum. Cowling is not stupid, and if whatever new deal he has lined up gets us some new players - then let's celebrate!

Wholeheartedly agree here Noah. This is a big positive for the club as we are now very likely to make a profit on the stadium with council rental decreasing from 300K/Month to 150K/Month... Means we can afford to put more into the squad or look to develop the club further.

The issue here seems to be that Cowling was open and honest with the fans at the ST meeting. Weston Homes seem more annoyed he's announced this without their consent rather than them wanting to remain sponsors.
I suppose there are two sides to every story! on 12:04 - Mar 29 with 842 viewsburnsieespana

In the current climate Cowling can, with many people do nothing right.
£3k a week is not a lot for a Stadium Sponsorship deal and if we can double or treble that along with the reducing payment required by CBC for use of it we might just be on the cusp of having funds to get us the right sort of players to blend with our own youngsters.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024