Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday 20:56 - Mar 31 with 1314 viewsdurham_exile

Someone once said that a week was a long time in politics, well it can also be a game changer and with 7 points out of the last 9 the Super U’s have rekindled their Play-off ambitions.

Make no mistake prior to the Morecambe game things looked all over, but a point at the Globe, three points against Stevenage at the Lamex and a much-needed victory at home to the then league leaders Luton Town has transformed our season. The Luton game especially was a brilliant result.

With six more victories from 6 matches, the odds are still stacked against us, but the U’s have that magic word, momentum and with 6 cup finals against teams that will suddenly be wondering about our upturn in fortunes, who knows.

Easter Monday sees the U’s play at the new Lawn for the very first time. Forget about the earlier result at fortress WHCS (or whatever it is going to be called next season) this will be an entirely different game.

Mark Cooper will be looking to build on their last game out, a 2-0 victory over the Stags and will be disappointed that their game at Huish Park was postponed on Good Friday.

Now Forest Green Rovers are known as the Green Devils and are a meat free Football Club. Perhaps they should be renamed the Vegans. Their larger than life Chairman Dale Vince has a dream to see them in the championship within 5 years in their new stadium Eco Park, which will be built entirely of wood. They even have a mow-bot to automatically cut the pitch which is organic grass free from fertiliser and pesticides. Rain water is harnessed to irrigate the land and flush the toilets. And no, you can’t get a pie or a pasty inside the ground, unless it is Quorn!

Anyway, enough of the environment for now. JM will be bringing his resurgent U’s to look to make it another Away victory on Monday at the New Lawn.

Forest Green A
Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

The table:

Accrington 38 77
Luton 40 74
Wycombe 40 71
Notts Co 40 67
Exeter 39 66
Coventry 39 65
Lincoln 39 64
Mansfield 39 63
Swindon 39 61
Carlisle 40 60
COL U 40 58

There appears to be a doubt about Tom Lapslie (Marmite), who either was overcome by the unfortunate and accidental injury to Luke Berry on Friday or has tweaked a hamstring. Brennan Dickenson was also substituted with a suspected injury.

If either or both are out on Monday, then Brandon Comley and Courtney Senior will play instead.

Of course, if JM can play an unchanged team then so much the better.

Team: 4,4,2

Walker

Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young

Wright Lapslie* Stevenson Dickenson**

Szmodics Mandron

Subs:

Barnes Kent Comley* Murray Senior** Mandeville Junior

*Potential starters in case of injury concerns.

Eastman and Prosser are colossi at the back and Ben Stevenson is different class. We owe it to him to make the Play Offs, because he could really shine at Wembley. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. There is plenty of football still to be played as they say.

Of course, there are other games on Monday and whilst it is up to us to win all our games without exception, the other contenders can do damage to each other’s opportunities along the way:

Accrington v Notts Co
Carlisle v Lincoln
Coventry v Yeovil
Crawley v Swindon
Exeter v Cheltenham
Luton v Mansfield
Wycombe v Grimsby

The weather at Nailsworth on Monday is set to be 10 degrees Celsius with light rain.

A warning to the faithful, the West Terrace is uncovered and will house the Super U’s supporters.

I have to say that I am relishing the match and look forward to seeing the U’s win on Monday.

Safe journey to the travelling supporters. Looking forward to seeing you Wessex.

Enjoy the game.

Happy Easter

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 22:01 - Mar 31 with 1295 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester latitude 51.8959 north
Nailsworth latitude 51.6939 north.

We have not won north of Colchester since April 2016.
It augers well that Forest Green is south (just!!!!!).
Literally due West as The crow flies.

See you guys there if the rain stops.
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 22:06 - Mar 31 with 1291 viewsdurham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 22:01 - Mar 31 by noah4x4

Colchester latitude 51.8959 north
Nailsworth latitude 51.6939 north.

We have not won north of Colchester since April 2016.
It augers well that Forest Green is south (just!!!!!).
Literally due West as The crow flies.

See you guys there if the rain stops.

Great spot Noah.

All bodes well for an away win!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 11:13 - Apr 2 with 1173 viewswessex_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 22:06 - Mar 31 by durham_exile

Great spot Noah.

All bodes well for an away win!

Up the U's

News from my man on the inside - pitch has passed it's first inspection, but there may be another one if it tips it down in the next few hours.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 15:08 - Apr 2 with 1145 viewsmfb_cufc

Goal for Drey Wright seconds into game.

mfb

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 15:11 - Apr 2 with 1144 viewsgerry_us

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 15:08 - Apr 2 by mfb_cufc

Goal for Drey Wright seconds into game.

Be interesting to hear Durham's views later as Wright is not his favourite player..
Early days yet for Durham to break his long standing record.
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 16:04 - Apr 2 with 1127 viewsmfb_cufc

Now 1-1. Eastman concedes a penalty, and they score.

H/T 1-1

Drey Wright's goal after 16 seconds was the fastest goal scored in League 2 this season.

mfb

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 16:10 - Apr 2 with 1123 viewsmfb_cufc

Off to a flier in the second-half as well. The great Ben Stevenson puts us back in front.

mfb

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 17:03 - Apr 2 with 1099 viewsgerry_us

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 16:10 - Apr 2 by mfb_cufc

Off to a flier in the second-half as well. The great Ben Stevenson puts us back in front.

Durham will be in "heaven".
Just hope this is not just papering over the cracks.
Still need to win every game left and that will not be easy. Still more excitement to come though.
Login to get fewer ads

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 17:06 - Apr 2 with 1098 viewsmfb_cufc

Full Time, and the U's win 2-1. Congratulations Durham, your perseverance has been rewarded.

mfb

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - Apr 2 with 1067 viewsMoor_Pinot

Moor Pinot

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 19:42 - Apr 2 with 1039 viewsdurham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 17:03 - Apr 2 by gerry_us

Durham will be in "heaven".
Just hope this is not just papering over the cracks.
Still need to win every game left and that will not be easy. Still more excitement to come though.

Just back from the game (weekending in Telford) absolutely thrilled to bits.

Wessex was also delighted.

Thoroughly deserved victory at a ground where they have won 6 out of the last 7.

The play offs are certainly attainable.

Next Saturday is absolutely vital. Momentum is with the U's

Will consider my thoughts and put them on paper tomorrow

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 19:43 - Apr 2 with 1038 viewswessex_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 16:04 - Apr 2 by mfb_cufc

Now 1-1. Eastman concedes a penalty, and they score.

H/T 1-1

Drey Wright's goal after 16 seconds was the fastest goal scored in League 2 this season.

To say it was a debatable penalty is an understatement - I'm happy to be proved wrong when the highlights are available, but from my angle looking straight at it, I think that was a very poor decision by an exceptionally poor referee.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 23:12 - Apr 2 with 974 viewsnoah4x4

Good to see you Wessex, and totally agree. I thought there was zero contact, but others disagree. I think even if TV proves us right, we have to give the referee the benefit of doubt. However, he was shocking.

Mandron was manhandled by thug defenders every time he got near the ball and the referee ignored. Yet when the misdemeanor was by us he always blew. This was particularly noticeable in the southern end where the linesman was equally shocking.

We should have run out winners 3-1 or more given the chances we missed. But I will happily accept 2-1 given FGR had, since 20th Jan at HOME beaten Cambridge 5-2; Port Vale 1-0; lost Wycombe 1-2; beat Crawley 2-0; Stevenage 3-1; Coventry 2-1; Mansfield 2-0; lost Notts County 1-2. It is (recently) "Fortress The Lawn", so an away win is actually a great result.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2018 23:13]
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 10:38 - Apr 3 with 921 viewsoxfcolu

I haven't been to a match this year and was pleased to travel the relatively short distance.
We seem to have a new lease of life and should have won by a bigger margin. Yes the play offs are still a distance away, but playing like this is refreshing and every win is a bonus. Carry on dreaming we still have a chance of an extension to our season. The next match will really show us how far away we are and will put the team in touching distance. Reading back I'm afraid stating the obvious is an understatement......Lets enjoy while it lasts.
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 14:47 - Apr 3 with 877 viewsMoor_Pinot

BRAVO Durham BRAVO!!!!!!

At last and we've even won 3 games in a row. That is a novelty. Long may it continue.

You can relax a bit now!!! They'll win every game you attend now.

Moor Pinot

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 15:35 - Apr 3 with 868 viewsgerry_us

Blue and white stripes...away from home?
Now that may be the norm for the rest of the season if we get the same result.
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 17:46 - Apr 3 with 853 viewsnoah4x4

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 15:35 - Apr 3 by gerry_us

Blue and white stripes...away from home?
Now that may be the norm for the rest of the season if we get the same result.

Not a prayer Gerry. It only happened at the New Lawn because the FGR kit clashed with both our green and black options. I believe that having declared our preferences to the EFL (and sponsors!), we are obligated to play away in green, or if a clash, then black, so this was a rare double clash. I too would love to see us play in blue & white both home and away, but while we have two shirt sponsors that will never happen.

Oddly, Sam Walker had a different sponsor on his shirt to the others. So he will probably be on the norty step!

At Stevenage, they had advanced the stadium clock an hour 24 hours prematurely.
Or might it be that they forgot to go back in October?

This might be an opportunity for others to comment on "things you didn't expect to see at a U's match". Please note Durham that "any win" doesn't count, as we have still not won at any venue north of 51° from the Equator since April 2016.

But there was another spooky moment. The quiz on the CUSA bus (I run) had a question, what did Edwin Budding invent in 1830? Answer, the Lawnmower. He also invented the adjustable spanner (1842). Later, I asked the same question in reverse after we had been quizzing for about two hours "who invented the Lawnmower" and they still got it wrong (But I digress....!). But it was the only question I had repeated (albeit back to front).

When later served a bottle of Budding's ales at the New Lawn (total coincidence), I commented on this fact to be told, "he lived down the road, it's our only local claim to fame other than FGR". Yes, he lived in Stroud. Now I believe we can win the Play Offs....surely this is a divine sign?.....
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 18:00]
Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 19:13 - Apr 3 with 826 viewsmfb_cufc

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 19:43 - Apr 2 by wessex_exile

To say it was a debatable penalty is an understatement - I'm happy to be proved wrong when the highlights are available, but from my angle looking straight at it, I think that was a very poor decision by an exceptionally poor referee.

This was Forest Green's first ever penalty in the Football League, as it was their first one this season.

mfb

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 19:54 - Apr 3 with 815 viewsdurham_exile

Carnivores to overcome the Herbivores at the New Lawn on Easter Monday on 17:46 - Apr 3 by noah4x4

Not a prayer Gerry. It only happened at the New Lawn because the FGR kit clashed with both our green and black options. I believe that having declared our preferences to the EFL (and sponsors!), we are obligated to play away in green, or if a clash, then black, so this was a rare double clash. I too would love to see us play in blue & white both home and away, but while we have two shirt sponsors that will never happen.

Oddly, Sam Walker had a different sponsor on his shirt to the others. So he will probably be on the norty step!

At Stevenage, they had advanced the stadium clock an hour 24 hours prematurely.
Or might it be that they forgot to go back in October?

This might be an opportunity for others to comment on "things you didn't expect to see at a U's match". Please note Durham that "any win" doesn't count, as we have still not won at any venue north of 51° from the Equator since April 2016.

But there was another spooky moment. The quiz on the CUSA bus (I run) had a question, what did Edwin Budding invent in 1830? Answer, the Lawnmower. He also invented the adjustable spanner (1842). Later, I asked the same question in reverse after we had been quizzing for about two hours "who invented the Lawnmower" and they still got it wrong (But I digress....!). But it was the only question I had repeated (albeit back to front).

When later served a bottle of Budding's ales at the New Lawn (total coincidence), I commented on this fact to be told, "he lived down the road, it's our only local claim to fame other than FGR". Yes, he lived in Stroud. Now I believe we can win the Play Offs....surely this is a divine sign?.....
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 18:00]

Noah we're going to win at Sincil Bank in a fortnights time.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024