Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham 19:10 - Apr 3 with 719 viewsdurham_exile

First a personal celebration, the end of the 3-year hoodoo without watching a U’s victory, brilliant!

Second just the 5 victories required now, and finally it was refreshing to see such a gutsy performance result in a well deserved victory against a decent home side.

A first for the U’s and for me another new ground, the New Lawn, home of Forest Green Rovers near Nailsworth in Gloucestershire. I had spent the Easter holidays in Telford with family and so the journey was only about 2 hours through Bridgnorth, Kidderminster and a brief journey along the M5 to Junction 13 and then a few minutes through some delightful Gloucestershire villages like Frocester and Nympsfield. The SATNAV taking me along single-track lanes affording spectacular scenic views across to the Severn Estuary and the weather a balmy 13 degrees Celsius with some bright sunshine. Mind you the flooding both in the fields and along the roadsides was severe. Just when I thought that I was hopelessly lost I came down a steepish hill and at the bottom was the Stadium.

Parking at the ground is restricted and so I parked at the Nailsworth School about 200 yards away. Parking was £5, and I arrived in good time to meet Wessex and his youngest son outside the ground.

The beer tent was just that, a medium sized marquee backing onto the North side of the stadium with Vegan lager and cider on offer. Next door was a stall selling Indian food — seitan, bhajis, wraps and pakoras, all vegan fare.

Now it was as well that the weather was Spring like and kind because the Western Terrace is uncovered and affords the Away supporter the ability to walk the length of the side of the pitch. I had to smile when one of the youngsters said, “it’s just like the old days”. I must admit that the ground is not dissimilar to Fleetwood, but their Away end does at least have some covered protection.

Arriving early did allow the opportunity to watch the players warm up fully and to see that unfortunately Marmite and Brennan Dickenson had not made the starting XI or the bench. Hopefully precautionary in the case of Dickenson. Comley and Senior ably deputised.

The crowd was 2,869 and an excellent 340 of the faithful had travelled.

The pitch was in remarkably good condition considering the amount of rain that had fallen. Some sand in the centre circle and it cut up near the penalty areas, but in fairness a decent surface.

Wessex had the inside info on the playing surface because he knows the Groundsman.

The referee Mr Huxtable cut an imposing and corpulent figure, he didn’t manage a great deal of box to box running if you catch my drift. A Devonian, he clearly has indulged (allegedly) in some Cream Teas over the years.

There is seating on the East side of the stadium where the main stand is located and along with the Western Terrace both ends are standing areas. Capacity is 5,000 with 2,000 seated.

JM was forced into the two changes as follows:

Walker

Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young

Wright Comley Stevenson Senior

Szmodics Mandron

Subs:

Murray Mandeville Shodipo Ogedi-Uzokwe Kent Loft Barnes

I have to say that I feel very sorry for Frankie Kent, the U’s young defender has done nothing wrong, but because of the formation changes (from 3 to 4 at the back) he has to sit it out on the bench. It was gratifying to see Doug Loft on the bench as well after his injury crises this season.

The players emerge from a breeze block building at the corner of the South and East stands and trek to the middle for the customary handshakes and preliminaries.

Now immediately the match started the breeze seemed to get up and seemed to blow across from East to West. There of course wasn’t time to think about anything because a flowing move involving Mandron out to Szmodics and then a cross to Drey Wright in the six-yard box resulted in the quickest goal that I have seen the U’s score for many a long time — just 19 seconds.

FGR were stunned, the faithful were ecstatic and I sensed another 5-1 scoreline. The U’s were on top, clever interchange play involving Jackson, Wright, Mandron and Szmodics almost resulted in a second goal (Szmodics volleying just over the bar) but we all opined that there were goals to be had.

Mandron struck a free kick from just outside the penalty area, the ball hit hard and low and it ballooned up and over the wall to be cleared by their defender close to the line.

Now of course FGR had won 6 out of the last 7 games at home and so would not lie down easily. However, Mr Huxtable offered them a lifeline after an earlier chance had been headed over Walkers goal by Campbell.

Haydn Hollis tumbled over in the penalty area after an innocuous challenge from Tom Eastman on 37 minutes. The referee couldn’t point to the spot quickly enough and the onerous Rueben Reid converted the penalty (his 14th goal of the season).

Injustice without doubt, Colchester had been the better side creating clear cut chances but failing to convert them. Now of course FGR had a purple patch and huffed and puffed in an attempt to open up the goal. It would have been harsh had they done so.

Half time arrived and the faithful were in good voice and I have to say that I didn’t hear any dissenting voices or foul and abusive language from the Away supporters.

JM was in animated conversation with the ref as they walked back to the changing rooms at half time. Doubtless debating the veracity of the penalty.

No changes were made at the interval. But just as they did in the first half Colchester came straight out of the traps. Mikael Mandron who covered ever blade of grass at the New Lawn passed inside to Ben Stevenson who was 35 yards out, he advanced to the right edge of the penalty area and struck a shot hard and low beyond the keeper Collins, the ball nestling in the corner of the left-hand side of the goal. It was a superb strike and thoroughly deserved.

One of the advantages of the close proximity to the pitch and the ability to walk from end to end is the opportunity to get close to the action. We all had a great view of the goal but also the play down the left win throughout the second half.

When top scorer for FGR Christian Doidge came off the bench on 56 mins for the unlucky Campbell, the home fans were stirred into life. JM decided on his first change after 69 minutes with Shodipo coming on for Courtney Senior. Senior had run himself into the ground and it was essentially a like for like swap. It was Colchester who really should have made it three a minute later after Wishart cleared off the line from Wright after Mandron’s shot had been blocked by Collins.

Drey Wright (note for Gerry) I have watched Wright recently at Morecambe and FGR and he is putting in a decent shift and deserved his goal. He was replaced by Sean Murray after 78 minutes.

The dangerous Doidge had the ball in the net on 86 minutes but was rightly adjudged to have fouled Eastman.

Now the fear was that Colchester would continue to drop deeper which is an old JM trick. Fortunately, we still foraged forward through the superb Stevenson, and the left sided players Vincent-Young, Shodipo and striker Mandron.

When Sammie Szmodics was replaced by Mandeville on 87 minutes, he received an ovation from the faithful for his commitment and effort to the cause.

The U’s played some really sensible football, running down the clock, delightful interchanges right in front of where we were standing involving Shodipo, Vincent-Young and Mandron took the pressure off the team whilst maintaining position near their corner flag. Some of the intricate movements were a joy to watch, particularly Vincent-Young’s footwork.

The referee managed to find 5 additional minutes during which the U’s avoided a scare when Grubb’s 95th minute free kick was well palmed around the post by Walker.

The final whistle was greeted with great celebrations by players and supporters alike. It was a deserved victory, the third in succession and first time since December 2016.

As Wessex said to me after the game, we did laugh when you suggested that we needed to win the last 8 matches for a Play Off berth ……………………. but now of course just the 5 will do!

Man of the Match for me was Ben Stevenson, he simply gets better and better every time I see him play. Rarely puts a pass astray, not afraid to challenge for the ball, a great football brain and makes really clever passes. His goal was sublime and his overall contribution to the team immense.

Eastman and Prosser are a defensive combination who complement each other very well whilst Mikael Mandron works tremendously hard for the team through covering every blade of grass, he ran himself into the ground for the team on Monday.

This Saturday offers a real test the League leaders at Fortress WHCS. Confidence levels are high, and momentum is with the U’s, it should be a cracker.

Just the five cup finals now!

Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

Now just imagine if we win the next two home games and go to Lincoln seeking a sixth straight win. What a game that will be!

Anyway, one thing is for certain, we still need maximum points against Accrington and Notts County. Nothing has been achieved yet.

League standings:

Accrington 39 80
Luton 41 77
Wycombe 41 74
Exeter 40 69
Notts Co 41 67
Lincoln 40 67
Coventry 40 65
Mansfield 40 63
Swindon 40 62
COL U 41 61
Carlisle 41 60

Journey home was both satisfying and uneventful. I am of course still basking in the after match glow.

Bring on the leaders.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 19:26 - Apr 3 with 708 viewswessex_exile

Great report, and great to see you all Durham, Noah and Daniel! Extended highlights are at the link below.

I've just put the stopwatch on, from kick-off whistle to crossing the line, and I clock it at 15.50 seconds. Graeson (formerly of this parish) reports the fastest recorded was a 14 second own goal credited to David Ratcliffe of Bradford City in May 1977 (even if highlights suggest Bobby Gough just got a toe to it as it crossed the line). So possibly not the fastest in our history, but almost certainly the fastest recorded goal scored by a U's player.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 19:50 - Apr 3 with 695 viewsdurham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 19:26 - Apr 3 by wessex_exile

Great report, and great to see you all Durham, Noah and Daniel! Extended highlights are at the link below.

I've just put the stopwatch on, from kick-off whistle to crossing the line, and I clock it at 15.50 seconds. Graeson (formerly of this parish) reports the fastest recorded was a 14 second own goal credited to David Ratcliffe of Bradford City in May 1977 (even if highlights suggest Bobby Gough just got a toe to it as it crossed the line). So possibly not the fastest in our history, but almost certainly the fastest recorded goal scored by a U's player.

Wessex I'm not arguing with your stopwatch!

Great stuff, really enjoyed the extended highlights.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 19:59 - Apr 3 with 691 viewsFruitbat

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 19:26 - Apr 3 by wessex_exile

Credit the FGR media dept, thats actually a pretty impressive little highlights package. Also, kudos to the voice over guy - "that looked like a foul throw" - damn right it did and you see three or four a game now and nobody takes any notice! For some reason it really annoys me, taking a throw in properly is basic stuff.
My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 20:11 - Apr 3 with 688 viewsBFG

All 5 teams above us :)
My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 20:38 - Apr 3 with 681 viewsdurham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 20:11 - Apr 3 by BFG

All 5 teams above us :)

BFG - that's the way we like it, we wouldn't want it too easy.

Anyway the teams scrapping near the foot of the table are pulling off some amazing results.

While mathematically possible we must still believe.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 21:02 - Apr 3 with 665 viewswessex_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 20:38 - Apr 3 by durham_exile

BFG - that's the way we like it, we wouldn't want it too easy.

Anyway the teams scrapping near the foot of the table are pulling off some amazing results.

While mathematically possible we must still believe.

Up the U's

Easy games on paper never turn out how you’d expect them - I’d much rather have to scrap for everything. Ironically, when the fixture list came out I thought Accy Stanley would be the easiest game of our run-in!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 21:13 - Apr 3 with 660 viewsdurham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 21:02 - Apr 3 by wessex_exile

Easy games on paper never turn out how you’d expect them - I’d much rather have to scrap for everything. Ironically, when the fixture list came out I thought Accy Stanley would be the easiest game of our run-in!

Wessex - CUFC official Twitter feed agrees with your 15.50 seconds for Wright's goal.

Superb stuff.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

My thoughts on the U's latest triumph in Gloucestershire by Durham on 13:27 - Apr 4 with 594 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for this wessex and durham.
In this division almost every year a side comes with a really late run often scoring the vital goal with minutes left to play. Is it us this year?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024