Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wembley is ours-hands off! 11:41 - May 1 with 532 viewsgerry_us

If Wembley is sold I suspect there would be little chance of lower league clubs having the opportunity to play cup or play-off games, and certainly no non-league competitions would feature.
This is a mad bad idea. Everyone should aspire to play at the "National" stadium and not just when it doesn't coincide with NFL.
I cannot think they are even considering it. Putting money into grass routes football will be useless until the Premier league and the EFL for that matter insist on at least eight home grown players in each team. Then and only then could we produce a strong English team fit to play at "our" Wembley.
Wembley is ours-hands off! on 13:01 - May 1 with 526 viewsLeadbelly

Why spend £800m, or whatever enormous figure has been mentioned, and then not allow your obvious customer base to use the stadium? That makes no sense at all to me.

An NFL team is guaranteed to play 8 home games during September to early January. If they make the playoffs then they may play a maximum of 3 further games. There may also be 2 pre-season games. Worst case scenario is 13 games over a 6 month period.

Tottenham's squatting aside, Wembley is currently used for England games (5 so far this season with 2 friendlies to be played in June) , FA Cup semi finals in April, the FA Cup final and play off finals in May plus FA Vase & Trophy (?).

All of the above still amounts to fairly limited use of the stadium, even if an NFL franchise, Jacksonville Jaguars presumably, were based permanently in London. This is still a very, very long way from happening.

Plenty of countries who fare better in international football seem to manage without an international stadium at all ie Spain. Whilst England has one I honestly don't see why selling it means that anything changes to the detriment of the game. Regardless of ones thoughts on the efficacy of the FA as the governing body of football it is a fact they are not constituted to be a property company. Perhaps divesting themselves of the cost and responsibility of managing Wembley will allow the FA to focus more on what really matters.

PS The fact that Ken Bates was the driving force behind the redevelopment of Wembley proves it was a bad idea in the first place!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024