Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. 08:22 - Aug 10 with 1179 viewsdurham_exile

JM will start his charges in their first home encounter against Port Vale at the newly sponsored JobServe stadium following an excellent performance and draw at Notts County on the opening day.

The Valiants under Neil Aspin registered an impressive victory against Cambridge United at Vale Park and so will be full of confidence. Tom Pope will once again be a goal threat, but he has the additional burden of captaining the team.

It is an intriguing game and one where JM has a number of options regarding formation. Notably both in defence and attack. The unfortunate delayed contract signature of Kane Vincent-Young led to an enforced formation change last weekend, but with the talented youngster now fully on board he can look forward to a position of strength with a full squad at his disposal. That of course brings its own problems with the forward line and four available strikers (5 if you include Junior on loan at Bromley).

Still as a TV advertisement opines, nicer problems to have! It seems to me that the key this season is making the stadium a fortress once more with improved performances and results the order of the day. If we are to achieve promotion back to League One, it is essential that the Stadium becomes a difficult place for opposition teams to play once again.

So, does JM go 4,3,3 or 3,5,2 or 3,4,1,2 or indeed 3,4,3. In order to include Ryan Jackson and Kane Vincent-Young I think he must go 4 at the back with Tom Eastman and Luke Prosser the twin centre halves. Young Frankie Kent would be the unlucky one to miss out. Nothing to do with form purely to do with formation. Perhaps away from home the 3,5,2 formation can also be used effectively.

Tom Lapslie and Harry Pell were a very effective partnership last weekend and I wouldn’t consider changing little and large at present. It is imperative that Brennan Dickenson plays in a more advanced role and so he must be a conventional left winger on Saturday.

Where does Sammie Szmodics play, given that he was also back to his best last week. Probably just behind the front two strikers. But what about that partnership — who are the Alan Warboys and Bruce Bannister aka “Smash and Grab” of Colchester United.

Over the past seasons we have lacked a genuine striking partnership, but this season we can ensure that the previously shot shy strikers can be forged into an effective and productive strike force. But which partnership will work best?

I liked Collins last week and feel that he needs to be the constancy up front given his pace and trickery on the ball. Frank Nouble ran his socks off for the cause, but I don’t think he is yet fully fit. Luke Norris likewise has been limited to minutes pre-season so that leaves the enigmatic Mika Mandron to partner the Wolves loanee.

Note to JM keeping the four content is key to success this season and it may be that we always play a minimum of two of the four but sometimes could accommodate three in the same team. What a predicament.

Similarly, Ryan Gondoh and Brandon Comley offer alternative midfield options. And we haven’t even included the trickery of Courtney Senior who “never gives the ball away” as the faithful sing.

Make no mistake this is the best and most inventive squad that we have had for 12 years and we all know what happened in 2006!

I would therefore look at a 4,2,1,3 home formation this week, noting that the two full backs get forward at every opportunity and Dickenson plays on the left but up front to deliver crosses and to produce some shots of his own.

I think, despite his enforcer role, that Harry Pell has goals in him too and could make the net bulge with a couple of 25-yard pile drivers.

Therefore, let’s go with:

Barnes

Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young

Pell Lapslie

Szmodics

Collins Mandron Dickenson

The bench also looks impressive:

Ross Comley Gondoh Kent Norris Nouble Senior

This is an exciting and potentially very productive season with a great squad and lots to look forward to. A great start on Saturday will set the scene for more good results at the JobServe stadium.

The pitch is looking pristine, the weather will be 21 degrees and partly sunny. The faithful will be present in good numbers and a great result, something like 4-0 will work wonders.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 12:08 - Aug 10 with 1145 viewsnoah4x4

You overlooked mentioning no shuttle buses Durham.

The elderly and infirm (and the lazy) will therefore have to walk a ridiculous distance from the nearest public transport bus stop. That's likely to have some deterrent impact on those attending. But kids with free tickets will no doubt be used to make up the numbers.

Then add the overlap with cricket; a Lord's Test Match, and loads of folk that I know have not renewed season tickets (I have renewed, but am committed to cricket as are a few other U's fans for the first games) and I fear we might witness a modest crowd. The Football Season now starts far too early.
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 11:48 - Aug 11 with 1050 viewsburnsieespana

When you really think about itm I wondr how many fans got the shuttle buses because it was a cheap way of getting to the ground but at the sametime owned a car which they will now use instead?
Yea a few got the buses because they wanted a pint or two but surely they will now use a taxi and with three costs wont cripple them.
Lets try to be very positive.
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 14:15 - Aug 11 with 1035 viewsdurham_exile

Team today

Barnes
Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young
Senior Pell Lapslie Dickenson
Szmodics Nouble

Ross Eastman Wright Comley Norris Mandron Norris

Mandron unlucky in my view to miss out again

Still Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 16:08 - Aug 11 with 1015 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 14:15 - Aug 11 by durham_exile

Team today

Barnes
Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young
Senior Pell Lapslie Dickenson
Szmodics Nouble

Ross Eastman Wright Comley Norris Mandron Norris

Mandron unlucky in my view to miss out again

Still Up the U's

You were right about U's getting off to a flyer Durham.....
but Eastman on the bench...??? My MOM last week.
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 17:08 - Aug 11 with 1005 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 16:08 - Aug 11 by gerry_us

Regulation 2-0 win against a poor Port Vale - from the commentary, sounds like it could easily have been 5-0 and no one would have been surprised.

Into the play-offs, keep it up U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 17:25 - Aug 11 with 998 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 16:08 - Aug 11 by gerry_us

Gerry this is going to be the dilemma that JM faces this season, with an embarrassment of riches just who is he going to leave on the bench.

I thought Kent would miss out but Eastman was unlucky.

Early days but the U's are living up to early season promise.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 20:19 - Aug 11 with 957 viewsbwildered

Cannot ask for more, a opening day win with clean sheet and three points safety wrapped up.
This really was a comprehensive victory by the U's, while playing with panache, confidence and a positiveness not seen for many a season.
The new signings in Nouble and Pell looked competitive and the squad looks like all positions are well covered .
Two well taken goals from the right side by good interplay led to a half time lead, and although Nouble should have added after the break, chances where continually being created, where Szmodics should be given special mention in his industry and unselfishness .

Might be early days, but full of promise if this is the benchmark .
Belief only now required by those on and off the pitch .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 20:21 - Aug 11 with 957 viewsbwildered

Cannot ask for more, a opening day win with clean sheet and three points safety wrapped up.
This really was a comprehensive victory by the U's, while playing with panache, confidence and a positiveness not seen for many a season.
The new signings in Nouble and Pell looked competitive and the squad looks like all positions are well covered .
Two well taken goals from the right side by good interplay led to a half time lead, and although Nouble should have added after the break, chances where continually being created, where Szmodics should be given special mention in his industry and unselfishness .

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 20:24 - Aug 11 with 956 viewsbwildered

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 20:49 - Aug 11 with 949 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 20:24 - Aug 11 by bwildered

Haha - the curse of Burnsie takes an evil twist - agree with everything you have said though!

Up the U's

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 21:51 - Aug 11 with 928 viewsRSCOSWORTH

3,183 there today.

For those that went did we play 4-4-2 or was it more of a 4-4-1-1?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 09:28 - Aug 12 with 863 viewsbwildered

Formations become more and more fluid , but 4-4-1-1 was more appropriate.
Nouble led the line well but should have scored after half time after good work by Szmodics who several times regained possession in forward areas.

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 09:30 - Aug 12 with 863 viewsFruitbat

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 21:51 - Aug 11 by RSCOSWORTH

3,183 there today.

For those that went did we play 4-4-2 or was it more of a 4-4-1-1?

It was closer to 4-4-1-1 than anything else with Szmodics in behind Nouble but with Senior and Dickenson not shy to come off the flanks to make a 4-2-3-1.

Nouble looks a step up in quality from recent centre-forwards we've had and Pell looks decent. Barnes looked a bit flappy at times but can't argue with back to back clean sheets and he made a good save in the second half.

Couple of things were very noticeable changes from last season. We pressured the ball much higher up the pitch and closed down the man with the ball much earlier. We also didn't resort to a back eight at any point despite being in front from early on.

Overall a positive performance all round albeit against some very ordinary opposition.
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 10:00 - Aug 13 with 771 viewswessex_exile

It’ll be McGreal’s dilemma tomorrow night in the tinpot trophy. Does he stick with the squad that’s performed well so far in the league, or rest some of them and give fringe players a run out? Personally, I’d prefer the former, but expect the latter. Not one I’ll be able to make unfortunately, saving my trip for the league next month.

Up the U's

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 12:41 - Aug 13 with 748 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 10:00 - Aug 13 by wessex_exile

It’ll be McGreal’s dilemma tomorrow night in the tinpot trophy. Does he stick with the squad that’s performed well so far in the league, or rest some of them and give fringe players a run out? Personally, I’d prefer the former, but expect the latter. Not one I’ll be able to make unfortunately, saving my trip for the league next month.

My bad, the Carabao Cup isn't the tin pot cup...or at least it's less tin pot than the Chuckaturd trophy. Terrible shame for two competitions that in the past we used to really enjoy.

Up the U's

Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 13:01 - Aug 13 with 740 viewsgerry_us

Good win Saturday but have just watched the highlights and how the he'll did we only score TWO? Chances galore went unfulfilled and they weren't even difficult. We must convert these chances when we have them as one day we will need them to maintain our progress.
Come on Mr McGreal, shooting practice must be high on the agenda. We crack this and we could be looking good this season.
Super U's to get off to a flyer at home to the Valiants. on 13:07 - Aug 13 with 740 viewsmfb_cufc

It would be good to keep the momentum going with the team that has done well so far, but I am sure tomorrows game will be used to give the likes of Norris and Comley game time. The strength we have in the squad, with no injuries, means making changes doesn't weaken the team. Pell was bit of a cult hero with the Cheltenham fans, and they will be disappointed if he is not playing.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024