Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's 19:04 - Sep 21 with 1392 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his high-flying (deservedly so) charges to Boundary Park (also now known as the SportsDirect.comPark) on Saturday for a challenging and important League Two fixture. So far this season I have been to Notts County, Mansfield and Tranmere, on paper all challenging games. All three resulted in draws and with the well-earned win at Cheltenham, we can certainly approach this game in good spirits.

The table is very tight at the top as one would expect with only 8 games played. Incredibly though after Saturday we will have played one fifth of the season’s fixtures. All the more reason to look for three more precious points against the Latics, who themselves have moved into Play Off contention.

Frankie Bunn is the manager at Boundary Park and in Sam Surridge they have a quality striker on loan from Bournemouth, who knows where the goal is. At the back they have club captain and veteran defender Peter Clarke, who has now clocked up over 700 appearances in a 20-year career. It is 6th versus 4th and so it will both closely fought and a keen encounter.

Top eight in the table:

Lincoln 8 19
Exeter 8 16
Newport 8 16
COL U 8 15
Yeovil 7 14
Oldham 8 14
Bury 8 13
Tranmere 8 13

It is likely that both teams will be unchanged after comprehensive 3-0 victories against Grimsby and Cambridge last weekend. Colchester are the real deal this season and the acquisitions made during the close season have all contributed to the quality and ability of the team. Frank Nouble opened his account last week by scoring a very impressive goal after a trademark powerful run. He gets better each week and compliments Luke Norris in an impressive forward line.

The only possible change to the Cambridge game would be for JM to revert to three at the back with Tom Eastman playing alongside Prosser and Kent. But I reckon he will keep the 4,3,2,1 formation as follows:

Barnes

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Pell Comley Dickenson

Nouble Szmodics

Norris

Subs:

Ross Senior Collins Mandron Eastman Wright Gondoh

After a week of storms, strong winds and some heavy showers, interspersed with sunny intervals in Durham, it is pleasing to note that tomorrow's Oldham weather is set to be mostly cloudy with some bright intervals and about 11 degrees Celsius.

This is a good time to play at Boundary Park, notwithstanding the fact that they are playing well, we have a decent record against the Latics and the pitch will be much better than in the depths of the winter months.

With Bury, Yeovil and Stevenage to play in the next three weeks, tomorrow will be a good test of our promotion credentials. The faithful will be travelling in good number and hopefully will be in excellent voice.

I have persuaded both my sons to travel with me and we will be sporting the new Away shirts. Hoping for a decent journey and three points.

Safe journey to those travelling from North Essex. Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 22:47 - Sep 21 with 1342 viewsOAFCWOOWB

Our record at home against you is awful. Eight without a win.
Fingers crossed it changes tomorrow.
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 06:33 - Sep 22 with 1317 viewsnoah4x4

Thought of the day....

We are seperated by only one league position and eight months from having parity with Ipswich. Get a result today and I will start to believe it is possible.

Unfortunately, I will be elsewhere as I have a ticket for the Joshua fight at Wembley, so will be watching the whole of the U's game on I-Follow (probably Monday). Last time I saw a big fight at Wembley was also in an 80,000 crowd (but Millwall are not playing today). Attending a world title fight has long been on my "bucket list" of sporting experiences to do so this was too good an opportunity to miss as, after all, I am rarely in Caesers Palace, Las Vegas or NYC.

The last item on my sporting "bucket list" that I ticked off was Alexandra Palace World Darts. Didn't enjoy! Sat so far away that I could only watch on a 'big screen' and the experience was ruined by only chilled gnat's pee keg being available and served to those that evidently can't handle it. Today, we have excellent seats close to the action and our day is far better planned, but ten hours drinking pre-fight will needs carefully pacing.

The next on my list is attending a Super Bowl, but I suspect that will be the most challenging to accommodate. More chance of seeing a superb owl I guess (geddit). Safe journey to all. I promise won't miss a U's game after this.
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 15:04 - Sep 22 with 1259 viewsall4one1forall

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 06:33 - Sep 22 by noah4x4

Thought of the day....

We are seperated by only one league position and eight months from having parity with Ipswich. Get a result today and I will start to believe it is possible.

Unfortunately, I will be elsewhere as I have a ticket for the Joshua fight at Wembley, so will be watching the whole of the U's game on I-Follow (probably Monday). Last time I saw a big fight at Wembley was also in an 80,000 crowd (but Millwall are not playing today). Attending a world title fight has long been on my "bucket list" of sporting experiences to do so this was too good an opportunity to miss as, after all, I am rarely in Caesers Palace, Las Vegas or NYC.

The last item on my sporting "bucket list" that I ticked off was Alexandra Palace World Darts. Didn't enjoy! Sat so far away that I could only watch on a 'big screen' and the experience was ruined by only chilled gnat's pee keg being available and served to those that evidently can't handle it. Today, we have excellent seats close to the action and our day is far better planned, but ten hours drinking pre-fight will needs carefully pacing.

The next on my list is attending a Super Bowl, but I suspect that will be the most challenging to accommodate. More chance of seeing a superb owl I guess (geddit). Safe journey to all. I promise won't miss a U's game after this.

Good luck at Wembley - was there for Froch v Groves...saw more fighting afterwards at the train station between rival groups ie take a set of binoculars if you want to see the bout, unless you are ringside...
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 15:24 - Sep 22 with 1256 viewsgerry_us

A goal too early?
Can we defend 75 minutes?
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 16:39 - Sep 22 with 1234 viewswessex_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 15:24 - Sep 22 by gerry_us

A goal too early?
Can we defend 75 minutes?

Sort of, but we can score more too. U's winning 3-1 with a brilliant brace from Luke Norris!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 17:00 - Sep 22 with 1222 viewswessex_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 16:39 - Sep 22 by wessex_exile

Sort of, but we can score more too. U's winning 3-1 with a brilliant brace from Luke Norris!

...but no, we can't defend for 75 minutes - Oldham get two late goals to finish the game 3-3. Very disappointing lose 3pts so late in the game, but if the commentary was anything to go by, a fair result, and definitely a very good point away against a team who will certainly feature in the challenge for promotion.

Up the U's

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 17:16 - Sep 22 with 1199 viewsgerry_us

Felt so confident at 3-1 went for a swim in the sea. Get back and....bugger 3-3. Disappointing but then thought of Durham who will be apoplectic. He has seen every away draw this season. My message to him and all the board; how many would have settled for an away draw at Oldham with the start they have had? Most of us I suspect so onwards and upwards guys as we can sure score goals this season
Now back to the sangria!
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 17:57 - Sep 22 with 1167 viewswessex_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 17:16 - Sep 22 by gerry_us

Felt so confident at 3-1 went for a swim in the sea. Get back and....bugger 3-3. Disappointing but then thought of Durham who will be apoplectic. He has seen every away draw this season. My message to him and all the board; how many would have settled for an away draw at Oldham with the start they have had? Most of us I suspect so onwards and upwards guys as we can sure score goals this season
Now back to the sangria!

I'd have settled for a point when we were winning 3-1, considering the battering they were giving us... :-)

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 20:07 - Sep 22 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 17:16 - Sep 22 by gerry_us

Now back to the sangria!

Gerry a good point yes but it should have been three.

Turning point was taking Norris off after 79 minutes.
We would have scored a fourth if he had stayed on without doubt.

Very disappointed with the outcome but Pell and Norris were outstanding. Norris is unplayable at times.

Anyway enough for now. my thoughts tomorrow.

Enjoy the sangria.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 09:37 - Sep 23 with 1015 viewsMoor_Pinot

Can't wait for your report Peter.
Like Wessex and Gerry I'd have taken a point and our unbeaten away record beforehand. But in following the game it feels like points lost. Whilst winning 1-3 I noted that Lincoln and Exeter were struggling but whilst we caved in the grown-up sides put in the necessary shifts and won. Frustrating.

At 1-3 surely we should have added Senior to get a fourth - as both Exeter & the Cowleys would have done - or.....as is our misguided way, put Eastman on to shore up the tiring defence? We have a novice manager but he is less a noovice than he was and his strategies seem to baffle many, not just me. What a shame to lose 2 points having done so well against one of the sides certain to be in the top 3 or 4. I feel sorry for Norris who is proving to be an excellent acquisition.

Anyway - I insist on 6 points from the two home games to make up for it [and another spell in a French hospital!!] and to cheer me into the autumn.
At least we are not in the bottom 3 or 4 as we were this time last year so I am gratefuul for that.
Up the U's.....but for goodness sake play to win....

Moor Pinot

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 09:51 - Sep 23 with 1013 viewsnoah4x4

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 15:04 - Sep 22 by all4one1forall

Good luck at Wembley - was there for Froch v Groves...saw more fighting afterwards at the train station between rival groups ie take a set of binoculars if you want to see the bout, unless you are ringside...

Sat immediately in front of Sky Sports Interview podium on the pitch about where the penalty area "D" would be. The downside, the Wembly Roof doesn't close that far, but fortunately the rain stopped for the Price and Joshua fights and we found a real ale bar in between them. £6.50 a pint for Hobgoblin and Marstones EPA was expensive, but tickets were exchanging hands outside for at least 5x face value so let's keep all in perspective (I paid £120 for an £80 ticket with transport to Wembley) .

Upside, constantly within ten feet of multiple World boxing superstars. Probably on the TV too as my head was actually behind their (raised) feet. Hope you lip-read "my up the U's" taunting of my Ipswich companion. But we were indistinguishable from others in our free ponchos (thanks William Hill). Looking up from the centre of the pitch is another "bucket list" opportunity. I relived Geoff Hursts winner (commentary included - you know how it goes).

The earlier Price fight disappointed; retirement through arm injury. But Joshua didn't disappoint albeit I had him three rounds behind when he delivered the KO. I was merely 30 yards from the Ring, so could see the real action albeit the big screens were a compelling distraction. Atmosphere was awesome. Far better than the Darts, and can't wait until April 13th when Joshua returns to again fill Wembley. Can't see anybody stopping him. Povetkin had never been stopped and he went down like a felled tree amid massive anxiety from his corner. Fortunately, he recovered after taking two sledgehammer blows.

Now today, looking forward to the U's on I-Follow. I would have taken a 3-3 before the game but my travelling pals tell me it felt like a defeat conceding two in ten minutes (given extra time). But we remain only one place and 8 months away from parity with Ipswich, so a good day all round.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 10:35]
Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 14:49 - Sep 23 with 946 viewsbwildered

Like all sides, look better going forward than defending . With a keeper who rarely gets out the six yard box, the outfield defenders need to win the first ball coming in the area from set pieces, and get goal side from open play, looks like we paid the punishment with both yesterday.
Against a newly relegated side away can never be easy , but disappointing dropping two points, seems like still cannot manage to see positive results with ten minutes remaining with any consistency. It must happen to all sides during a season, but the top sides manage it better and frequently.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Bunn's Latics to be consumed by the voracious Super U's on 16:17 - Sep 23 with 928 viewsnoah4x4

Have now watched the entire game on I-Follow.

Nobody has mentioned that the fussy referee gave Oldham an opportunity to retake the free kick that lead to Surridge's second goal after they had quickly taken it and Dillon Barnes safely collected.

I also felt Oldham forwards repeatedly fouled U's defenders when the ball was aerial and the referee ignored. Yes, "it's a man's game" but jumping at the man deserves penalizing. Consequently, the U's defence didn't get the relief warranted hence permitting waves of attack after attack. Had the more combative Lapslie played rather than Comley, I think we would have won. Hope his road to recovery is short.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 16:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024