Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robith's Relegation Index 09:42 - Oct 3 with 28706 viewsrobith

I think we can all agree that our primary objective this year needs to be first and foremost to stay up. Further it's been say a mixed bag of a season, where even I, the perennial happy clapper was calling for the manager to be sacked after 5 games. I saw a comment in Brian's thread of someone saying "well, they'll just say Reading were crap" and that got me thinking. Yeah people will.

So I've tried to create a basic statistics system to see. Totally based in the numbers we need to post rather than subjective analysis of how games have gone.

So each week I'll post the index of our chance of survival. Indices work by converting separate numbers into a base (which is scored as 100) and working out how more or less likely an outcome is. 120 is the mark for something significantly being likely to happen, 80 is the mark for something being significantly unlikely to happen.

I've set the base for safety at 50 points. Can revise on feedback

So Gameweek 11:

Played: 11/46 - 24% of games played

Based on this our current survival index is 109

At this stage we look like staying up, but it's not a sure thing - we're tracking very close to the baseline run rate.

Stay tuned for more exciting stats action as it comes
Robith's Relegation Index on 10:34 - Oct 3 with 11867 viewsMytch_QPR

Thanks, Robith.

It did occur to me last night when driving home that we're suddenly a quarter of the way through the season. It's been a blast.

My method was more rudimentary: quarter games played = 13 points, end of season = 52 - except, of course, it never works like that.

As with last season, beating the teams around us in the bottom half (plus the odd unexpected wins against some of the better teams) will keep us up - that's why last night's result may be very important come May.

I'm staying tuned for your relegation roulette - agree 50 should see us safe.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:05 - Oct 3 with 11749 viewsBlameMcLintock

You do the math, Robith.

The rest of us do the sarcasm.
Robith's Relegation Index on 12:07 - Oct 3 with 11745 viewsQPR_John

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:05 - Oct 3 by BlameMcLintock

You do the math, Robith.

The rest of us do the sarcasm.

Please over here it is maths
Robith's Relegation Index on 12:23 - Oct 3 with 11714 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:07 - Oct 3 by QPR_John

Ya, but only if two people do it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:38 - Oct 3 with 11684 viewspaesanu

That's good statting.

If you have more time on your hands, how about another stat perspective, where instead of the base being 50 points, base it on the current bottom 3's points!
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:39]

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:39 - Oct 3 with 11675 viewsHunterhoop

Rob,

I think there will emerge (by mid Nov) about 3 leagues within the Championship this year.

The Good

The Erratic

The Crap.

Broadly speaking, we’re top of The Crap, at present. We’ve really only outplayed those beneath us, and have been tonked by the top lot.

Last year, we were frustratingly the worst of The Erratic, but you could argue we had a stronger defence and keeper. We beat Wolves and Sheffield Utd in one week when they were both top, but struggled against everyone but Brum away from home.

With Wells and Hemed, I think we should certainly be winning The Crap mini league. I’d like to see a settled 4231 shape (call it 4411 with two holding CMs if you like) with Eze at 10 and Pav on the right as a true winger for a while and see if we can break into The Erratic miki league with a few cracking results against teams in The Good mini league. If we can’t I think you can fairly argue McClaren has taken us backwards. If we do, you can argue we’ve moved forward a little.

I think McClaren was hired to take us from bottom of The Erratic league, where the idea was Holloway would never improve us from (quite possibly true), and take us to near top of The Erratic, which is broadly top 10, winning more than we’re losing. This would then set us up to try to progress into The Good mini league the following year.

Derby on Sat will be a good indicator.
Robith's Relegation Index on 12:59 - Oct 3 with 11625 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:39 - Oct 3 by Hunterhoop

Rob,

I think there will emerge (by mid Nov) about 3 leagues within the Championship this year.

The Good

The Erratic

The Crap.

Broadly speaking, we’re top of The Crap, at present. We’ve really only outplayed those beneath us, and have been tonked by the top lot.

Last year, we were frustratingly the worst of The Erratic, but you could argue we had a stronger defence and keeper. We beat Wolves and Sheffield Utd in one week when they were both top, but struggled against everyone but Brum away from home.

With Wells and Hemed, I think we should certainly be winning The Crap mini league. I’d like to see a settled 4231 shape (call it 4411 with two holding CMs if you like) with Eze at 10 and Pav on the right as a true winger for a while and see if we can break into The Erratic miki league with a few cracking results against teams in The Good mini league. If we can’t I think you can fairly argue McClaren has taken us backwards. If we do, you can argue we’ve moved forward a little.

I think McClaren was hired to take us from bottom of The Erratic league, where the idea was Holloway would never improve us from (quite possibly true), and take us to near top of The Erratic, which is broadly top 10, winning more than we’re losing. This would then set us up to try to progress into The Good mini league the following year.

But what about when we're crap and erratic?

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:03 - Oct 3 with 11612 viewsJeff

Rob,

The Good

The Erratic

The Crap.

I bet you go a big rubbery one over the Nations League

Can we not knock it?

Login to get fewer ads

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:05 - Oct 3 with 11604 viewsngbqpr

Rob,

The Good

The Erratic

The Crap.

"We're to of the crap
We're top of the Cra--aa-aaap
We're Queens Park Rangers - we're top of The Crap"

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:14 - Oct 3 with 11580 viewsMytch_QPR

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:05 - Oct 3 by ngbqpr

"We're to of the crap
We're top of the Cra--aa-aaap
We're Queens Park Rangers - we're top of The Crap"

There could be 2 additional trophies awarded - we'd get a bronze turd on a wooden base with our name engraved on it. BFG 2 could parade it around the ground at the end of the season and fans could pay to have pictures taken with it.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:19 - Oct 3 with 11545 viewsBoston

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:07 - Oct 3 by QPR_John

....unless it’s arithmetic.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 13:20]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:20 - Oct 3 with 11544 viewskropotkin41

I'm attracted to this kind of approach, being the kind of fan who calculates points per game and so on............ but, isn't this survival index more or less just like looking at the league table?

If we know that between 1 and 1.1 points per game will likely get us relegated (and at any stage in the season show us down near the relegation zone), then if we're just above 1.1 and edging towards 1.2 points per game, we'll be.......... oh look, in 17th.........

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:25 - Oct 3 with 11528 viewsheadhoops

school boy error Robith - you have failed to take into account the Paul factor!

Loving the work though.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:25 - Oct 3 with 11528 viewsMick_S

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:20 - Oct 3 by kropotkin41

I'm attracted to this kind of approach, being the kind of fan who calculates points per game and so on............ but, isn't this survival index more or less just like looking at the league table?

If we know that between 1 and 1.1 points per game will likely get us relegated (and at any stage in the season show us down near the relegation zone), then if we're just above 1.1 and edging towards 1.2 points per game, we'll be.......... oh look, in 17th.........

You mean top of the crap?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:35 - Oct 3 with 11491 viewskropotkin41

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:25 - Oct 3 by Mick_S

You mean top of the crap?

There's a chant in there somewhere surely!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:45 - Oct 3 with 11453 viewsHunterhoop

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:59 - Oct 3 by BrianMcCarthy

But what about when we're crap and erratic?

We can only be Erratic if we blow between Crap and Good. We have not been “Good” yet this season as we’ve only outplayed teams at the bottom. We were backs to the wall at home to Wigan in that win.

We’re Erratic if we can pitch up against some of the big teams and suddenly compete (Villa and Fulham away last year) but still struggle against The Crap.

If we’re only out playing The Crap. We’re just the best of that bunch.

C’mon, Bri. It’s easy!

P.s. to confirm I have no interest in nor previous involvement in the Nations Cup.
Robith's Relegation Index on 13:54 - Oct 3 with 11427 viewsMick_S

Rob,

The Good

The Erratic

The Crap.

I don't think I'm quite on your level, but this is the way I will try to predict where we are prior to kick off. It's not particularly scientific - put simply, whichever couple finish in the most central position will indicate the final result. The brains over here can then put the graph together.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:58 - Oct 3 with 11415 viewsrobith

Robith's Relegation Index on 12:38 - Oct 3 by paesanu

That's good statting.

If you have more time on your hands, how about another stat perspective, where instead of the base being 50 points, base it on the current bottom 3's points!
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:39]

That's a really good idea mate.

Added in a line for current bottom 3 average points, which our current points index at 216 which is suuuuuuuuper strong.

I'll add that to my metrics
Robith's Relegation Index on 14:01 - Oct 3 with 11406 viewsrobith

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:20 - Oct 3 by kropotkin41

Perhaps, I think if we streak towards safety then it becomes less relevant agreed. In that scenario I will be attempting to pull apart the league based on Hunter's segmentation
Robith's Relegation Index on 14:37 - Oct 3 with 11314 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:45 - Oct 3 by Hunterhoop

We can only be Erratic if we blow between Crap and Good. We have not been “Good” yet this season as we’ve only outplayed teams at the bottom. We were backs to the wall at home to Wigan in that win.

We’re Erratic if we can pitch up against some of the big teams and suddenly compete (Villa and Fulham away last year) but still struggle against The Crap.

If we’re only out playing The Crap. We’re just the best of that bunch.

C’mon, Bri. It’s easy!

P.s. to confirm I have no interest in nor previous involvement in the Nations Cup.

I got it now. We're craperratic!

"Gonna be a classic,
Now we're craperratic…"

Robith's Relegation Index on 15:32 - Oct 3 with 11223 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Erratic.

Sounds Croatian. Sign him up.
Robith's Relegation Index on 15:56 - Oct 3 with 11173 viewspaesanu

Robith's Relegation Index on 13:58 - Oct 3 by robith

That's a really good idea mate.

Added in a line for current bottom 3 average points, which our current points index at 216 which is suuuuuuuuper strong.

I'll add that to my metrics

Lovely work!

There's lies, damned lies, statistics, and then other statistics that comfort you more hehe

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Robith's Relegation Index on 16:25 - Oct 3 with 11124 viewsderbyhoop

Robith's Relegation Index on 10:34 - Oct 3 by Mytch_QPR

Thanks, Robith.

It did occur to me last night when driving home that we're suddenly a quarter of the way through the season. It's been a blast.

My method was more rudimentary: quarter games played = 13 points, end of season = 52 - except, of course, it never works like that.

As with last season, beating the teams around us in the bottom half (plus the odd unexpected wins against some of the better teams) will keep us up - that's why last night's result may be very important come May.

I'm staying tuned for your relegation roulette - agree 50 should see us safe.

End of season doesn't quite work like that. 11/46 is less than a quarter.
Therefore 44 games would yield 52 points.
A little over 1 point per game, so either ad d 2 or 3 to the total giving 54/55. V comfortably staying up.
But as the 11 played so far includes 4 of the 7 teams below us then the points calculation may be skewed (i.e. biased towards better results). Conclusion - we might be OK, it could get squeaky, we're completely f***ed. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Robith's Relegation Index on 09:14 - Oct 8 with 10893 viewsrobith

Gameweek 12 Update: I have added in a Playoff index based on 73 points - the average for 6th place last ten years

Relegation Index: 107 - essentially no change, still broadly on track to stay up, just

vs Bottom 3 Index: 161 - fallen this week due to their results, but still strong currently

Playoff Index: 73 - not outrageous, but a lot of ground to make up
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 10:30]
Robith's Relegation Index on 13:04 - Oct 8 with 10725 viewshopphoops

I'm sticking with my fourth place prediction for now.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024